PDA

View Full Version : Analysts predict PS3 to lead ...by 2011

wraggster
August 17th, 2006, 16:10
PS3 will eventually triumph, with Xbox 360 second and Wii a distant third - eh?

Analysts lead a pretty rarified life, lobbing predictions about the future of the gaming industry from their ivory towers, while scantily clad lovelies presumably serve them tall drinks before they make their next pronouncement on how things will turn out.

Okay we exaggerate a little for effect, but the latest predictions to float across the ether this morning come from Boston-based research Yankee Group, who have cast the runes to tell us that the PS3 will eventually triumph in North America, followed by a close running Xbox 360 - with Nintendo's Wii trailing way behind the big two - although it'll take until 2011 for it all to shake out.

Yankee say the PS3 will capture 44 percent of the US market by 2011 boasting sales of some 30 million units, with 360 snapping close at its heels with 27 million, while the Wii gallops up the rear with a little over 11 million units dispatched to happy homes over in the land of Uncle Sam.

Overall, Yankee reckons there'll be fewer consoles sold than in the current gen and also predicts that digital distribution will become increasingly important. But a little closer to our own time zone, it also says MS will be in a good position for major price cuts on the 360 next spring. Nice.

Make of all that what you will, but we think it's seriously underestimating the appeal of Nintendo's next-gen. Now we're off to sacrifice a chicken and read its entrails to let you know how sales will go for the PS4, Xbox 720 and Nintendo Mii go in Europe by the year 2025.

Video_freak
August 17th, 2006, 16:12
Wow, the Wii only has 5 years to triumph then. :rolleyes:

SSaxdude
August 17th, 2006, 16:48
By the time the PS3 does lead, Nintendo and Microsoft will have plans for their next console.

It makes me wonder, will Nintendo have their next console like the Wii? What will the next DS be like?

Cap'n 1time
August 17th, 2006, 17:20
By the time the PS3 does lead, Nintendo and Microsoft will have plans for their next console.

It makes me wonder, will Nintendo have their next console like the Wii? What will the next DS be like?

With the new consoles just being birthed, its always very fun... and very hard to imagine what the next generation console will look like. This is especially true with Nintendo's unique twist on game devices with the the DS and the Wii mote.

Sure, Microsoft can just pack the next gen hardware in a box and call it the Xbox 1080, but it isnt Nintendo's style to do that... Honestly what Nintendo's future console could bring gives me the chills.

muffinman
August 18th, 2006, 12:29
i want me one of these nintendo mii's

Accordion
August 18th, 2006, 18:32
the way i see it, the PS3 is the only next gen console to come to market...

the Wii though great is too gimmicky to win alot of support, and nintendo reallly neads to sort out its 3rd party support...

and the Xbox 1.5 is built on old hardware... and has no great titles due to abismal japanese support meaning only high profile(read "crap") games getting released

stotheamuel
August 19th, 2006, 04:19
i wonder whats next after 1080p....?

thats what the ps4 will offer... highest quality