PDA

View Full Version : DS2x86 Opcodes Converted!

wraggster
September 13th, 2010, 21:55
Pate has posted some more WIP news concerning his Dos Emulator for DS

Just 5 minutes ago I got all the basic 80186 opcodes (including the REP-prefixed string opcodes) converted and tested! Hurrah! :-) Well, actually it is not much cause for celebration yet, as only now I can start coding the actual emulation framework around the CPU emulation. Many parts of the DSx86 framework are coded in C++, though, so porting those will be much faster than writing ASM code, which needs to be written pretty much from scratch for a new processor architecture.

Next, I think I will work on the interrupt architecture (as I need that to be able to input any keys and Norton Sysinfo needs a timer interrupt to be able to calculate the CPU speed). I am looking forward to getting Norton Sysinfo running, but before I can attempt that I need to add quite a bit of hardware-related stuff, including disk access support and the whole screen output stuff. Also, I need to start studying the DS2 SDK stuff more closely, so far I have only used the console output and not much else. I still have a lot to learn about it as well. But, it is interesting to learn new things!

Oh, and I also finally added a PayPal "Donate" button onto the Main Page, so you can donate a small amount to show your support of my working on DSx86. As I state on the main page, don't feel bad about not donating anything, I am not doing DSx86 for money. But at least you can now stop emailing me about wanting to donate money but not being able to. :-)

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/DSblog.html