PDA

View Full Version : MapThis! is out

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 20:44
I just entered my first public release of the viewer to NEO summer coding contest 2006 (http://www.neoflash.com/compos.htm).. so here is the details:

MAP THIS! GPS MAP VIEWER FOR PSP
-------------------------------------------------
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/map1.jpg

short video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nitCHViaCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nitCHViaCU

DISCLAIMER
----------
This software is distributed under GPL license and provided for education purposes only.
It is not fully tested and therefore should be used with caution.
I shell not be responsible for any damages and/or legal problems which may arise from using this
application & underlying hardware setup.
This software acquires image data from Google Maps online service. Please read and understand Google Maps' "Terms of Use"
agreement before using this application.

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/map2.jpg

MAIN FEATURES
-------------
- Scroll through large (up to 65536x65536 pixels) maps.
- Zoom in/out. The number of zoom levels depends of on the size of the map.
- Large coverage. The program uses imagery from Google Maps, which currently have pretty good coverage of
North America, Western Europe, Australia, Japan. Visit Google maps, to find out if they provide required
coverage for your location.
- Customizable map size, level of detail and coverage.
- Ability to display zipped maps (currently buggy)
- Ability to display satellite and hybrid maps from Google.
- WIFI map retrieval: ability to acquire and store map data to memory stick over WIFI
- Linux/Cygwin script is also provided to generate a map of given size and detail for a given location.
- GPS support: ability to read and interpret NMEA sentences from a GPS receiver communicating through PSP's serial port.
Rather simple DYI hook up with GPSlim 236 receiver from Holux is explained in following thread:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035
In GPS mode there are following features:
- Speed, direction, altitude, latitude, longitude, number of satellites in view.
- NORTH UP mode: map is displayed with NORTH always on top. The arrow in the middle turns to shows current direction.
- TRACK UP mode: map rotates so that direction of movement is always from top down.
- Record GPS data (captures NMEA sentences in gps.txt file for later replay)
- POI/Attractions data support. Ability to select and display different types of attractions.
- PSPSDK compatible source code provided.

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/map3.jpg

INSTALLATION
------------

1.5 users: copy contents of 1.5 folder to ms:/PSP/GAME
1.0 use EBOOT.PBP from 1.0 folder with data files from 1.5 folder
2.0+ try using EBOOT.PBP from NOGPS folder with data files from 1.5 folder
2.7+ generate maps of up to 32x32 size with provided cygwin script and html files,
copy them on MS and view through the PSP's browser.

View the attached README file for further details...

Go to NeoFlash forums (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,2950.msg20991.html#msg20991) for binaries and vote for me :-)

digg this story (http://digg.com/mods/GPS_Map_Viewer_for_the_PSP/)

Video_freak
August 17th, 2006, 20:44
Wow! Looks awesome deniska! :eek:
Thanks for the video btw ;)

lewbacca
August 17th, 2006, 21:11
:) nice deniska.
crossing my fingers for you

LAMPRO
August 17th, 2006, 21:15
i need a gps receiver to make this work though right?

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 21:26
i need a gps receiver to make this work though right?
Just if you want to use the GPS functionality...
You can still use it w/o GPS for viewing maps, etc..

Also, the application is configured to startup in "FAKEFEED" mode, to demo the GPS stuff using pre-recorder NMEA feed...
check the config file if you want to change that part..

lewbacca
August 17th, 2006, 21:33
Here's a mirror for the your file.
http://xploding-stars.de/psp/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=25&Itemid=2

wraggster
August 17th, 2006, 21:37
i uploaded to the forum also for those that dont understand how to paste into a browser :)

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 21:42
i uploaded to the forum also for those that dont understand how to paste into a browser :)

Thanks, but I am not sure if I am allowed to do that according to compo rules..

wraggster
August 17th, 2006, 22:02
hmm ill remove them from this thread
but mirror them on the psp site so as not to harm your entry

kochiro
August 17th, 2006, 22:02
Has anyone tried this with 2.5 yet?

I have a ceramic white japanese 2.5 and can't find a japanese 2.6 firmware file to upgrade with so that I could try to downgrade to 1.5. If anyone can help out with this it'd be great, thanks.

Thanks,
Jay

CT_Bolt
August 17th, 2006, 22:03
Keep up the great work Deniska. This is a really Awesome app for the PSP!!! Great Work.

Just one question... can(how) do I locate myself with it?

Blac OrKhiD
August 17th, 2006, 22:20
great work deniska, good luck
just ordered gps and cant wait to get started
using this app!

Video_freak
August 17th, 2006, 22:24
You can still use it w/o GPS for viewing maps, etc.
That's awesome! I just noticed you used La Bastille on one of the pictures (I'm French...) :)

deniska
August 17th, 2006, 23:14

I have a ceramic white japanese 2.5 and can't find a japanese 2.6 firmware file to upgrade with so that I could try to downgrade to 1.5. If anyone can help out with this it'd be great, thanks.

Thanks,
Jay

Try the one of the EBOOT's from NOGPS folder..
make sure you copy all the stuff from mapViewer folder too(from 1.5)
I don't have 2.6fw but some one told me that it worked (no gps funtionality though... and not sure if you can use WIFI)

DarcyWood
August 18th, 2006, 02:11
No luck here on a 2.6 US version. PSP displays the satellite image graphic, but after selecting the program, it indicates 'This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted.'

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 02:28
No luck here on a 2.6 US version. PSP displays the satellite image graphic, but after selecting the program, it indicates 'This game cannot be started. The data is corrupted.'
Hmm, I am assuming you using Eloader..
This is very strange because I got reports from my beta testers that it was working...

DarcyWood
August 18th, 2006, 02:36
This is my first leap into homebrew, so my experience is limited. It is very likely that I did something wrong.

I used the game-->memorystick menu on the PSP to launch.

I also just tried the %__SCE__ filename change, with no luck.

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 03:21
Well, welcome to the homebrew scene! :-)
search google or these forums for GTA eloader info and learn how to install and use it...
I know nothing about it, since I never upgraded from 1.5 :-D

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 04:36
I'm having issues with mapthis. Everything works well except when I try to do the part to get my location with the gps unit it throws me all the way to the upper left side of the screen. I also noticed that it says DATA: BAD. also No satellites.

I tried it with the Green Background test program and it worked fine. It also gave me the correct Lat/Long for my area.

I tested the unit itself with a laptop with both bluetooth and usb cable and worked flawless, also on a cellphone T-Mobile MDA via bluetooth w/ MS Streets & Trips and also worked fine. So its not the unit.

I also went as far as to doing the manual mapping by placing the cursor in my area the maps downloaded fine but when I go to activate the GPS it throws it to the farthest upper left corner and says DATA: BAD.

I have done everything over and over very carefully but I have no idea what else to do. Hope this helps you and me at the same time.

- Jay

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 04:53
I'm having issues with mapthis. Everything works well except when I try to do the part to get my location with the gps unit it throws me all the way to the upper left side of the screen. I also noticed that it says DATA: BAD. also No satellites.

I tried it with the Green Background test program and it worked fine. It also gave me the correct Lat/Long for my area.

I tested the unit itself with a laptop with both bluetooth and usb cable and worked flawless, also on a cellphone T-Mobile MDA via bluetooth w/ MS Streets & Trips and also worked fine. So its not the unit.

I also went as far as to doing the manual mapping by placing the cursor in my area the maps downloaded fine but when I go to activate the GPS it throws it to the farthest upper left corner and says DATA: BAD.

I have done everything over and over very carefully but I have no idea what else to do. Hope this helps you and me at the same time.

- Jay

Here is most common causes:

Did you turn off WIFI switch?

Which gps unit are you using? Different baud?
Check your config.txt settings....

Check if you have any messages in stdou.txt stderr.txt in mapViewer directory...

Well, I hope we'll figure it out.. ;-)

ruiner1
August 18th, 2006, 05:05
Firstly thanks deniska! This kinda homebrew is what made me buy my PSP in the first place!
Okay now that I've buttered you up, I can't get *any* map data at all from google. I've tried both WiFi (never even seems to connect) and cygwin scripts. All I get from google is 404 errors, even when trying the URL via firefox.
Any ideas?
Thanks again!

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 05:15
wifi switch yes

GPS Unit: Holux GPSlim 236
Baud hasnt been touched

Only thing I changed in the config.txt was FAKEFEED to 0

I dont have either stdou.txt stderr.txt in the mapViewer directory

anything else I can try??

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 05:19
I just tried it with the gps unit turned off and I got the same thing..

heres the config.txt looks like:

###########################################
############## DEFINE BAUD ################
BAUD=38400

######FAKE FEED SWITCH 0 or 1 #############
##IF '1' READ NMEA MESSAGES FROM gps.txt
FAKEFEED=0

###### SECURITY CHECKSUM FOR BETA TESTERS
CHECKSUM=-8398

####### SPEED CONVERTION MULTIPLIER #######
## MOST DEVISED GIVE SPEED IN KNOTS #######
### USE 1.8523 FOR KILOMETERS #############
SPEEDFIX=1.151

###### HEIGHT UNITS FIX: USE 1 for METERS #
###### USE 3.280839895 FOR FEET ###########
ALTFIX=1

##### TIME ZONE OFFSET IN HOURS ###########
TIMEZONE=-4

DarcyWood
August 18th, 2006, 05:32
to 2.6FW users:

I researched the GTA eLoader, and got that installed.

Still no luck with the MapThis! though. It shows up in eLoader, but resets the PSP upon loading.

...Standing by for info from other 2.6 users!

Thanks, and what a fantastic use for the PSP! Great coding!

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 05:41
wifi switch yes

GPS Unit: Holux GPSlim 236
Baud hasnt been touched

Only thing I changed in the config.txt was FAKEFEED to 0

I dont have either stdou.txt stderr.txt in the mapViewer directory

anything else I can try??

Once again, check that wifi is off (I think it is down position, but try to switch it up and down and see if you get a fix...)

Is your GPS' red light blinking? - if not your gps did not have a fix...

Is the time in the corner running? - if not.. hmm could this be a cable problem?..

I am, of course, assuming you do have 1.5 and loaded the correct eboot...

I just checked this build with my GPSlim 236 - works like a charm....

seesoe
August 18th, 2006, 05:52
deniska, wut ever happend to the checksum? does it still need to have the right MAC?

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 05:59
I have the same identical cable as seesoe

red light on gpslim is blinking

1.50 fw of course

the time in the corner is fixed at 20:00

I went back to the green b/g test app and tried it off
and got:
Sat: 00 Signal: 00
Turned gps on and re entered the test app and got
Sat: 08 Signal: 01

Tried the wifi on off trick to nothing. I hope we nail this soon, I cant wait to see it working.

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 06:00
deniska, wut ever happend to the checksum? does it still need to have the right MAC?
No, I removed it from public release....

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 06:02

Does the new version work for you?

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 06:08
Let me know if you want me to try the test version. I tried PM'ing you my MAC address but it wont let me.

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 06:47
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/bin/mapviiewer_beta.zip
Try this old beta version...

Here is how you figure out your checksum:

You mac consists of 6 hex pairs:
H1:H2:H3:H4:H5:H6

Convert each of them to decimal number, using window calculator (advanced mode)
For example, B2 ->178

So you have new set:

D1 : D2: ...D6

Your checksum for the config file will be

D1+D2-(D3*D4)-D5-D6

If the program exits right away - that means you miscalculated your checksum...

seesoe
August 18th, 2006, 06:59
o you might of disabled it but the checksum is still in the config for the latest realse, anyways yes it works its great, but i gout a weird bug one time when i turned the mapthis on. i started the progarm it put the neo splash screen and when it was time for picking a map it went weird there was 2 boxs on the screen left and right both ad a very small view of the screen where u pick a map, but its so small not readable and to make it worse the color was messed up witha heavy green and purple tint, but this only happend onese im not sure what i did for it to happen i will keep u updated on this problem

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 07:00
Ok trying to figure this out with the calculator..

Having a hard time with the calculator, if you have any instant messenger apps and can contact me. I would be very appreciative. Whats the risk of posting the MAC anyway ?

thanks for all your help

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 07:51
Ok I figured it out.. I am in the beta now..

jay87
August 18th, 2006, 08:02
I got it!!!

Having a UMD in the PSP caused the whole problem. All I did was take out the UMD and hit the square again to refresh it and now it works. On beta and release! Whew I spent soo much time and thats all it was.

TAKE OUT THE UMD

thanks again for this great app.

fokia
August 18th, 2006, 10:07
Awesome work! Even better than I anticipated, but the best is that, in spite of been very, very good it can be improved to other great functionalities!!!!

Great job!!!

I think I'll buy GPSlim236 and build a cable today!!!

oh, I've already tested your cygwin scripts and the problems i've reported with the old scripts are all gone!

Can't wait to build me one of these tomorow I'll be traveling and would be great to test thist...

sjohal2006
August 18th, 2006, 14:55
This is excellent, however can someone link/upload the UK map?

Thankyou very much.:D

P.s. Which is the cheapest GPS reciever? - Has to work well though :)

ninjakinglk
August 18th, 2006, 15:28
im having a lot of trouble trying to get it to work could someone help me out ive downloaded it and unzipped it in to the main bit of the psp now what do i do im running my psp on firmware 2.8:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

fokia
August 18th, 2006, 15:42
im having a lot of trouble trying to get it to work could someone help me out ive downloaded it and unzipped it in to the main bit of the psp now what do i do im running my psp on firmware 2.8:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2.8?!?!?!

there is now way (for now at least) of loading wathever with that firm...

sjohal2006
August 18th, 2006, 16:56
Hi, Back again,

Just wondering, so, you have to get individual maps for city's, you cant get a map for the whole of the UK/England ? - Down to street level of course hehe

THanks, will there be a postcode kind of search soon? Like from A-->b type of thing? Then directions, turn right here etc... ?

Thanks....BEAT TOMTOM!

kochiro
August 18th, 2006, 19:31
As I stated earlier I have a White Japanese PSP with Factory Firmware 2.5 on it. I had previously removed the e-loader so I re-ran the auto installer, then copied the contents of the 1.5 folder to the "Game" folder on my psp and then replaced the pbp file in the plain 'mapviewer' folder as stated in the readme and it works perfectly!

Deniska, all I can say is that this is by far the best program for the psp yet!!! :D I think the second best is probably Talkman, but I'm learning Japanese so I'm biased towards it because of that. :)

I'm still working up the courage to actually downgrade my psp to 1.5. If I do that I'll definitely pick up the gps and build the cable to take full advantage of this program. Or I might just buy another black psp to do that with. :)

Initial Impressions:
Other info that should probably be in the readme or the offical post:
1. Info on the map settings could be explained a little more, especially in relation to the zoom, mainly just an explanation.
2. The "keyboard", just a list of what button does what, I was in a hurry to get it setup so it was a little confusing at first.

If either of those are in there and I just missed them, I'm sorry.

One other thing that would be nice, but I have no idea if it is possible, would be to have a battery indicator as a number and a percent sign showing somewhere. My reasoning is that I'm going camping this weekend and I might use the maps while I'm out on the trail hiking. It'd be nice to be able to quickly see what percent of battery life is left so I know how much I can use the unit as I hike. :)

Still, very awesome work, I don't think that there's a way you could lose this competition. Even if it didn't have gps compatability, the map viewer alone should win.

Thanks again,
Jay

gooffer06
August 18th, 2006, 19:46
Hi everybody,

First thank you for All things Deniska ...

I would like singalize a problem, when I am under the software, I've download my map with my GPS coordonate. but I've "Out of Range" also, the map correspond realy where I am ...

I am in France do you have any solution.

thanks a lot for all

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 20:33
Hi everybody,

First thank you for All things Deniska ...

I would like singalize a problem, when I am under the software, I've download my map with my GPS coordonate. but I've "Out of Range" also, the map correspond realy where I am ...

I am in France do you have any solution.

thanks a lot for all

Do you run it with actual GPS device or in demo mode?
check config.txt file make sure FAKEFEED is disabled (0)

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 20:36
Kochiro, thanks for your update on 2.5 compatibility - since lot's of people were asking...

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 20:42
Hi, Back again,

Just wondering, so, you have to get individual maps for city's, you cant get a map for the whole of the UK/England ? - Down to street level of course hehe

THanks, will there be a postcode kind of search soon? Like from A-->b type of thing? Then directions, turn right here etc... ?

Thanks....BEAT TOMTOM!

Coverage, pretty much depends on how much size on your memory stick you can allocate for this thing and how detailed you want the maps be...
Whole UK @ street level (2) will probably take ~ 2GB

I have not tried to make detailed maps of more than ~40,000sq km yet (256x256 map at zoom level 2)

I'm planning on coding in basic route feaure - not sure how SOON it will be done though ;-)

gooffer06
August 18th, 2006, 21:09
I'm using the mapViewer_v01 Version of your software And I have put fakefeed to 0 value and Now nothing appear and PSP don't communicate with GPSlim236.

And Now I've the arrow at the top left of the world map. apparently the software can't find my location.

Also I've try with your thirs software how indicate my GPS location and it's seem good.

Do you have any idea

sjohal2006
August 18th, 2006, 21:31
Densiker, can it not be compressed?

Also, just for the England area....should be a little less....if you could do this it would be brilliant!

s1k0
August 18th, 2006, 21:46
yooo this is sooo great the hard part is making the gps which i cannot:(

deniska
August 18th, 2006, 22:06
I'm using the mapViewer_v01 Version of your software And I have put fakefeed to 0 value and Now nothing appear and PSP don't communicate with GPSlim236.

And Now I've the arrow at the top left of the world map. apparently the software can't find my location.

Also I've try with your thirs software how indicate my GPS location and it's seem good.

Do you have any idea

Make sure you:
1) have FW 1.5 or less
2) WIFI switch is OFF
3) DISK drive is empty
4) you cable is OK (check with GPS viewer that I release
5) your GPS is ok - check with PC soft or something else...

gooffer06
August 18th, 2006, 22:46
Make sure you:
1) have FW 1.5 or less
2) WIFI switch is OFF
3) DISK drive is empty
4) you cable is OK (check with GPS viewer that I release
5) your GPS is ok - check with PC soft or something else...

Thank you deniska to try to resolve my problem, this my answer :

1- I have FW 1.5
2-Wifi switch is OFF
3-Not sure to understand ? talk about UMD Drive ? I've try without.
4 & 5-Cable seem ok when I use your last software I have this :
LAT : 43.709890 LONG: 7.270040 ALT : 45.90
And My GPS seem to update infos each second.

Now If I try with option FAKEFEED=0 I've nothing on the world Map, also If I put FAKEFEED = 1 the worl map working but I am to New York ... but I am in Nice from France :)

very strange.

I have create map with your script under cygwin with this lat. & long. but I've the same problem.

Another Idea ?

thank a lot for all.

And your application seem very great :)

gooffer06
August 18th, 2006, 22:52
Now It's working good ...

I'm not sure to know why but it's working now ...

Thank you for youe help, I apreciate...

Your project is very very nice.

gooffer06
August 19th, 2006, 10:26
After lot of tests apparently, the gps location doesn't work when I have a UMD DIsk insert.

If it's normal for you ... I am ok... but I don't understand why.

thank's

ignoble
August 19th, 2006, 15:27
Can anyone tell me how can I download maps on internet with my pc and put on to my psp? I don't want to use Wi-Fi because I don't have Wireless Internet. Is there anyway to download map on internet at a site? (maybe google or somewhere else)

ignoble
August 19th, 2006, 16:57
new question :) can anyone tell me how can I insall bc and wget commands to my cygwin?

deniska
August 19th, 2006, 17:37
run the cygwin install/update, select this option for wget (and do similar thing for bc)

sjohal2006
August 19th, 2006, 18:11
Densika, I have the following Do I click both? (Bin and Src)?

Thanks.
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/7343/untitledoi2.th.jpg (http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledoi2.jpg)

Also for the BC is it for the "Maths , utils" section right? And do I click (cross) both boxes for that one aswell?

deniska
August 19th, 2006, 19:18
you don't really need the sources...

liornet
August 19th, 2006, 22:04
hi when i try your code to get a hybride map of any locaton i recive an error why is it?

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/5198/sea1dq7.jpg

Totaliser
August 19th, 2006, 22:22
Thanks Deniska for a great program, but I do have a slight issue. Everything is working fine but my GPS co-ordinates are different from the one I get from my pocket PC.Your ones are LAT -40.319158, LON 176.835938 and my Pockect PC gets S39 31.870' E176 50.398 (LAT -39.75833 LON 176.943888 translated from http://jeeep.com/details/coord/ )

deniska
August 19th, 2006, 22:30
re:hybride error :::
It is coming from following line in gethybrid.sh:
keyhole=`java -classpath . GoogleTile $1 $2 $zoom $x $y|grep keyhole=|cut -d '=' -f2`

The java interpreter is complaining that it cannot find the GoogleTile class

Make sure you have GoogleTile.class file in the scripts directory.
Also you may want to specify your exact path to that file by changing the line above to:
keyhole=`java -classpath [you_directory_path] GoogleTile $1 $2 $zoom $x $y|grep keyhole=|cut -d '=' -f2`

deniska
August 19th, 2006, 22:39
Thanks Deniska for a great program, but I do have a slight issue. Everything is working fine but my GPS co-ordinates are different from the one I get from my pocket PC.Your ones are LAT -40.319158, LON 176.835938 and my Pockect PC gets S39 31.870' E176 50.398 (LAT -39.75833 LON 176.943888 translated from http://jeeep.com/details/coord/ )
Are your talking about the GPS feed or just map to GPS coord translation?

I am using the translation algorithm from google maps...
Try to pinpoint your location with this tool and see what you get: http://www.mapki.com/wiki/Get_Lon_Lat

liornet
August 19th, 2006, 22:53
re:hybride error :::
It is coming from following line in gethybrid.sh:
keyhole=`java -classpath . GoogleTile $1 $2 $zoom $x $y|grep keyhole=|cut -d '=' -f2`

The java interpreter is complaining that it cannot find the GoogleTile class

Make sure you have GoogleTile.class file in the scripts directory.
Also you may want to specify your exact path to that file by changing the line above to:
keyhole=`java -classpath [you_directory_path] GoogleTile $1 $2 $zoom $x $y|grep keyhole=|cut -d '=' -f2`

thx man it works!

liornet
August 19th, 2006, 23:30
hi again i have anothr problem
after it's done creating the hybride map all parts of the map arn't hybride insted of an image its black!:mad:
and it dosnt load in the PSP

Totaliser
August 20th, 2006, 01:09
Here is my actual coordinates according to the site you gave me. (http://www.mapki.com/wiki/Get_Lon_Lat)

Latitude: -39.53100982971364
Longitude: 176.83991253376007

And yes I was talking about the GPS feed from MAP THIS!

I am using the Holux 236.

deniska
August 20th, 2006, 02:36
hi again i have anothr problem
after it's done creating the hybride map all parts of the map arn't hybride insted of an image its black!:mad:
and it dosnt load in the PSP

check if image magic is installed correctly
also see if you get the satellite tiles loaded correctly:
comment out all "rm ...." lines (put # in front of rm command).. now see if you get the jpegs with satellite photos...

The way it works is: it gets the sat photos & png images with street names and then uses image magic to overlay them and netpbm to convert back to jpeg to jpeg....

deniska
August 20th, 2006, 02:40
Here is my actual coordinates according to the site you gave me. (http://www.mapki.com/wiki/Get_Lon_Lat)

Latitude: -39.53100982971364
Longitude: 176.83991253376007

And yes I was talking about the GPS feed from MAP THIS!

I am using the Holux 236.

I don't change the coordinates that Holux retuns...
Could that be that you did not have a fix? In that case holux will give you the last coordinate, aquired during a good fix....
make sure that the red light is blinking...

COFF6000
August 20th, 2006, 05:48
i have fw 2.8 so all i can do is view maps through the browser, which is good enough for me. but when i try to download a map cygwin makes the folders, but it doesnt make the html files. i just wanted to know if i type something else in the command bar or if i have to alter some file. please reply soon.

Totaliser
August 20th, 2006, 05:51
Yes I am sure that I have a 100% fix, red light flashing. I can recheck by using the Bluetooth connection through the pocket pc at the same time which was enabled after the PSP has locked on. Do you think that it has something to do with the negative number in the LAT.

Heres my gps log

liornet
August 20th, 2006, 10:38
i have fw 2.8 so all i can do is view maps through the browser, which is good enough for me. but when i try to download a map cygwin makes the folders, but it doesnt make the html files. i just wanted to know if i type something else in the command bar or if i have to alter some file. please reply soon.

in the scripts folder you download with the viewer
ther is a file named testmap.sh
usage:
./testmap.sh [map size]
example
./testmap 16

liornet
August 20th, 2006, 10:44
check if image magic is installed correctly
also see if you get the satellite tiles loaded correctly:
comment out all "rm ...." lines (put # in front of rm command).. now see if you get the jpegs with satellite photos...

The way it works is: it gets the sat photos & png images with street names and then uses image magic to overlay them and netpbm to convert back to jpeg to jpeg....

hi thx for helping i'll try
just for you to know i installd the whole cygwin
it takes 2-3 howers and its 2.3 G.B
does it mean i have image magic ?
or netpbm?
*edit*
i did what you told me to put the # in front of the rm
and a wierd thing happend
it gives me a set of 4 pictures :
1x000000.jpg-like a simple map with a black background
1x000000.png-a simple map with transperant background
K1x000000.jpg-a hybride look of the place without the map overlay
K1x000000.png-same as K1x000000.jpg
is this sepous to be like this?
i'm sorry for the speling errors i'm from israel:cool:

gooffer06
August 20th, 2006, 13:56
Yesterday, I have try your software on road between 2 points separate to 20 km.

I'ts working great, no problem detected.

it refresh good and the precision very impressing.

the only one thing I've a problem with my pad sometimes the cross move alone and desactivate the GPS mode. maybe you could work on a little module to desactivate the pad under the GPS mode.

Thank you for all, and your software is the best.

PS: do you have a plan to the 2nd version, like enter a point to go ?

deniska
August 20th, 2006, 14:11
hi thx for helping i'll try
just for you to know i installd the whole cygwin
it takes 2-3 howers and its 2.3 G.B
does it mean i have image magic ?
or netpbm?
*edit*
i did what you told me to put the # in front of the rm
and a wierd thing happend
it gives me a set of 4 pictures :
1x000000.jpg-like a simple map with a black background
1x000000.png-a simple map with transperant background
K1x000000.jpg-a hybride look of the place without the map overlay
K1x000000.png-same as K1x000000.jpg
is this sepous to be like this?
i'm sorry for the speling errors i'm from israel:cool:
Image magic is not a part of cygwin and has to be installed separatelly... search google for info

liornet
August 20th, 2006, 14:51
Image magic is not a part of cygwin and has to be installed separatelly... search google for info
i have 2 versions of image magic 1 for windows and one for unix wich one?
and will this model work with map this
http://gpsnow.co.il/images/ItemPics/217.jpg
Holux GR-231
version XTRAC 2.02
? thx agin for the program

MJ DwaTrzy
August 20th, 2006, 15:07
yo men
Could you please write a FAQ how to use cygwin? I use it first time and I don't know what to do. How to use the scripts? I installed it with bc and wget commands.

sjohal2006
August 20th, 2006, 15:38
:)
yo men
Could you please write a FAQ how to use cygwin? I use it first time and I don't know what to do. How to use the scripts? I installed it with bc and wget commands.
Would like the same thanks

kochiro
August 20th, 2006, 17:58
Google is your friend...

http://cplus.about.com/od/compilersandides/l/aa061304a.htm

http://www.physionet.org/physiotools/cygwin/

Jay

MJ DwaTrzy
August 20th, 2006, 18:44
I just want to know the commands I will need for these maps. I need an example how to do it. I managed to get here

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2204/aufnahme1bn2.jpg

What now?

MJ DwaTrzy
August 20th, 2006, 18:59
everything is fine now, i managed to make it already

deniska
August 20th, 2006, 19:38
i have 2 versions of image magic 1 for windows and one for unix wich one?
and will this model work with map this
http://gpsnow.co.il/images/ItemPics/217.jpg
Holux GR-231
version XTRAC 2.02
? thx agin for the program

Not sure about image magic - I build mine from the source under cygwin.

That holux receiver should work just fine...

COFF6000
August 21st, 2006, 04:14
i have fw 2.8 and im having problems installing mapthis. in the PSP/GAME folder i have "EBOOT.PBP" rhe "mapViewer" folder and the "mapViewer%" folder, i also have a demo, but i dont think that affects it. all thiat i did was copy paste. i havent altered anything. it is the EBOOT.PBP file from the NOGPS folder and the mapviewer folders from the 1.5 folder. when i go to "game" then "memory stick" there is my demo, a little icon for some corrupted data, and the icon for map this, when i go over the mapthis icon, it shows the satellite background. but when i try to run it, it says "This game cannot be started. The data is corrupt." So i just wanted to know if i need another file or if i need a different firmware. Please reply soon.

seesoe
August 21st, 2006, 04:57
different firmware
this is of course

deniska
August 21st, 2006, 05:01
You can't runt the executables on 2.8 (as far as I know).. so your best bet is to generate maps via cygwin scripts (or c# program, attached to one of the threads here), copy them someplace on your MS and open them through PSP browser...
See the tutorial posted here abouth this...
AND PLEASE, SEARCH THIS FORUM BEFORE YOUR POST, SINCE LOTS OF QUESTIONS OF THIS TYPE HAVE BEEN ANSWERED ALREADY...

seesoe
August 21st, 2006, 07:08
AND PLEASE, SEARCH THIS FORUM BEFORE YOUR POST, SINCE LOTS OF QUESTIONS OF THIS TYPE HAVE BEEN ANSWERED ALREADY....

clipkilla
August 21st, 2006, 10:23
Hey Deniska, awesome stuff! Truly I was despairing the lack of usefulness of the PSP what with all its capabilities and potential it's really going to waste.

I've yet to try out the app (putting off stuffing around with cygWin :) ) but from the vid it looks great.

I also had a very similar idea that I was working on though I am more an interface and graphic designer and not a coder so I have all the interface concepts done up.

If you're interested in using any of the gfx I've come up with so far PM me. I'd be happy to talk to you about them... there's not much point me devving it anymore! :)

Keep up the good work!

liornet
August 21st, 2006, 10:37
Hi Deniska it me again.

i'v tryed to compile the source but no luck for me.

it will be great if you have some guide for it.

thx again for creating the best program for the PSP

you got my vote on the neoflash!

fokia
August 21st, 2006, 11:54
I also had a very similar idea that I was working on though I am more an interface and graphic designer and not a coder so I have all the interface concepts done up.

If you're interested in using any of the gfx I've come up with so far PM me. I'd be happy to talk to you about them... there's not much point me devving it anymore! :)

Well, seems that other people release GFX effects/mods for other releases from DENISKA, I would apreciate as many mods as possible (if the're any good), customization is never too much...

I guess you can open a new thread here and upload youf files so anyone interested can try them out - I now I would... I've tryed to MOD some things myself but it didn't turnout the way I'd espected (lack the time...)

deniska
August 21st, 2006, 14:53
Hi Deniska it me again.

i'v tryed to compile the source but no luck for me.

it will be great if you have some guide for it.

thx again for creating the best program for the PSP

you got my vote on the neoflash!

Well, you should post the error messages that you get if you want me to give you a clue of what's wrong...

Make sure you have the latest toolchain/SDK installed.. you have to install zip/png/jpeg libs too...
All can be obtained from ps2dev.org svn server

deniska
August 21st, 2006, 15:00
Hey Deniska, awesome stuff! Truly I was despairing the lack of usefulness of the PSP what with all its capabilities and potential it's really going to waste.

I've yet to try out the app (putting off stuffing around with cygWin :) ) but from the vid it looks great.

Keep up the good work!

You pm box don't seem to accept messages...
Well you can try to pm me, once you have it sorted out.. I may need some graphics designer help... :-)

Xern
August 21st, 2006, 17:00
I have the same problem as a couple of others here. When I try to activate the GPS function in MapThis, I can't get it working. It works just fine in the "greenscreen program". MapThis says that the GPS function is enabled, but that the data is "bad". I tried the following:

WIFI switch off
No UMD in the tray

Ofcourse I have firmware 1.5.
Now, the problem may be that my GPS has baudrate 4800. I did change the settings.txt file to use 4800, and I recompiled the "greenscreen" program to use 4800 also.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance!

fokia
August 21st, 2006, 17:24
I have the same problem as a couple of others here. When I try to activate the GPS function in MapThis, I can't get it working. It works just fine in the "greenscreen program". MapThis says that the GPS function is enabled, but that the data is "bad". I tried the following:

WIFI switch off
No UMD in the tray

Now, the problem may be that my GPS has baudrate 4800. I did change the settings.txt file to use 4800, and I recompiled the "greenscreen" program to use 4800 also.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing I can remember is: do you have FAKEFEED=0 (use you own GPS)?

This is pretty obvious but is the only thing I can remember and you haven't mention it... I'll build me a cable/adaptor tonight and see if I can came up with something from the config to help you...

good luck!

deniska
August 21st, 2006, 18:36

WIFI switch off
No UMD in the tray

Thanks in advance!

Try the beta version of MapThis and see if it works for you.. (I posted the link to it in one of these threads together with installation instructions)
The beta, has a different parsing logic, that's closer to original gree screen prog...

kochiro
August 22nd, 2006, 02:34
Deniska, is there a map deletion function? I didn't see it in the tutorial.

If it's possible, it would be a nice feature.

Thanks,
Jay

kochiro
August 22nd, 2006, 02:41
Oh, another suggestion would be to create separate folders for each firmware version that contain the full contents in the download file. That way those people who seem to have a hard time reading the readme file can just copy the contents of their version to their MS. It might reduce the number of questions you wind up getting.

* Yes, I could have edited my other post, but I'm also trying to get up to 15 posts so I can use PM's.
Isn't there a pharming thread somewhere? :D

Jay

deniska
August 22nd, 2006, 03:52
Deniska, is there a map deletion function? I didn't see it in the tutorial.

If it's possible, it would be a nice feature.

Thanks,
Jay

Not yet, i'll try to do it in the next versions...
Too many things to do, so little time :-)

fokia
August 22nd, 2006, 10:50
I think I have might found a BUG... Isn’t supposed that when in TRACK UP mode that the N pointer always point to north? Well, in mine it doesn’t... I think it points exactly the opposite way...

gooffer06
August 22nd, 2006, 12:23

WIFI switch off
No UMD in the tray

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I've the same problem.

For me apparently the problem coming from the GPS receiver.

When you have DATA:BAD you need to see if your GPS first orange led are blicking. also you need to put your receiver outside and wait for blinker. you need to have under the program Number of sattelites more than 0 (normally 4 less)

Test it and answer to me.

regards,

gooffer06
August 22nd, 2006, 12:26
Hello Deniska,

What's your project for the second version of the software ?

deniska
August 22nd, 2006, 13:17
I think I have might found a BUG... Isn’t supposed that when in TRACK UP mode that the N pointer always point to north? Well, in mine it doesn’t... I think it points exactly the opposite way...

I might have messed up direction of the rotation on the compass sprite..
This would give you bad results if you go east or west...
Well, it's easy to fix with photoshop image editing.. no programming nessesary...

fokia
August 22nd, 2006, 14:10
I might have messed up direction of the rotation on the compass sprite..
This would give you bad results if you go east or west...
Well, it's easy to fix with photoshop image editing.. no programming nessesary...

I've tested once more, the problem persists... just don't have shure if it's pointing on the opposite direction or 45º biased - it's hard to tell while driving... :-)

When we're heading North the pointer shows N, so this one is OK.

dblock110
August 22nd, 2006, 14:30
i will pay someone 10 bucks for a premade cord

Xern
August 22nd, 2006, 16:04
Ofcourse fakefeed is set to 0. The reason for the problem is beyond me :( Maybe an error locking the program to 38400 baud, even though something else is specified in config.txt?

fokia
August 22nd, 2006, 16:15
Ofcourse fakefeed is set to 0. The reason for the problem is beyond me :( Maybe an error locking the program to 38400 baud, even though something else is specified in config.txt?

Did you tried to use that on another setup (with a computer, PDA, ...)? Some GPS's need internal config before they can be use either way...

I've cheked on the net for your gps is this model Garmin GPSmap 60C, right? it has itself monitor so it must be configurable, the serial port must have some kind of config...

EDIT:
@xern
Just checked Garmin webpage... You are using the SERIAL port or the USB port? I hope u are using the serial port otherwise might have killed the PSP serial port... The USB coonector in that receiver is in fact a USB port!!! If you are using the USB port check the manual (online, if u dont have the paperback) to see how to connect through the serial port and not through a REAL USB port....

kulfsson
August 22nd, 2006, 18:58
I´m actually having the same problem with data:bad and I am running a Holux GPSlim 236 unit. It all seems to work in the green application and also simultaniously on my Smartphone via Bluetooth but Mapthis! gives me the data:bad error. I have changed the fakefeed.

Maybe Deniska has some input on this problem ? Have you setup your Holux differently ? i.e. another kind of reporting than DD.MM.SSSS ?

deniska
August 22nd, 2006, 21:20
Actually, I did not setup mine at all..
I don't event have a way to program it...
I am assuming you took out UMD, checked WIFI switch, right?

If nothing else helps, look for a link to a beta version of MapThis with instructions to get the checksum for beta testers..
The link should be in one of the threads here...
The beta version has a different parsing logic, it would be interesting to know if it works for you...

DarcyWood
August 22nd, 2006, 23:31
So are you going to eventually make this into nav software, ala TomTom?

fokia
August 23rd, 2006, 09:35
Actually, I did not setup mine at all..
I don't event have a way to program it...
I am assuming you took out UMD, checked WIFI switch, right?

If nothing else helps, look for a link to a beta version of MapThis with instructions to get the checksum for beta testers..
The link should be in one of the threads here...
The beta version has a different parsing logic, it would be interesting to know if it works for you...

There are ppl reporting that their cable won't work with the resistor... try lower the resistor to 500ohm (at your own risk, of course) or even beter, mesure the output voltage form the holux... shouldn't be lower than 2,5V I guess...

Totaliser
August 23rd, 2006, 09:37
I don't change the coordinates that Holux retuns...
Could that be that you did not have a fix? In that case holux will give you the last coordinate, aquired during a good fix....
make sure that the red light is blinking...

I just ran your GPSlim236 viewer program. It returns the correct co-ordinates.

I've also tried to compile your program. Have heaps of errors. Most likely cause by incorrect setup. I went to this site for installing CYGWIN (http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/c/lesson01.htm).

Here's my error log file.

deniska
August 23rd, 2006, 13:23
I just ran your GPSlim236 viewer program. It returns the correct co-ordinates.

I've also tried to compile your program. Have heaps of errors. Most likely cause by incorrect setup. I went to this site for installing CYGWIN (http://www.psp-programming.com/tutorials/c/lesson01.htm).

Here's my error log file.

Make sure you have the latest version of PSPSDK
and libraries like ziplib, libping, jpeg, etc from ps2dev svn server

kulfsson
August 23rd, 2006, 15:05
Well I finally did it. Removed the UMD and restarted the PSP and all was well.

However looking at the program now I wonder if there is no way for the automatic loading of the next piece of map available for the current POS ? I drove on one map and then Mapthis! reported out of area. I would have thought that it would switch to the next available map much like gpsdash (http://www.gpsdash.com) which switches between the best map available in your area.

Also I am missing an overlayed trail drawn on the maps. Would this be possible ?

One other thing. It would be really good if you could switch between fakefeed and recorded data via a button. Also if you could record several different data files.

deniska
August 23rd, 2006, 15:17
eventually, I'll try to include all these features..

Xern
August 24th, 2006, 11:46
I am using the serial port on the gps, yes. It does work in the greenscreen program. I am going to coldstart the PSP without any UMD when I get home. I did try the beta version of the program, with no luck. (made a keygen for the mac-codes if anyone need it)

Thanks for all your ideas and inputs. Sincerely, MalfunctioN

vibez
August 24th, 2006, 15:33
Sure, please share the keygen for the mac codes

fokia
August 24th, 2006, 17:30
I am using the serial port on the gps, yes. It does work in the greenscreen program. I am going to coldstart the PSP without any UMD when I get home. I did try the beta version of the program, with no luck. (made a keygen for the mac-codes if anyone need it)

It does work with the green screen but is the data exactly as you seen with other GPS's? If so maybe Deniska can help u telling what were the major changes in data parsing/analysing that could cause that...

deniska
August 24th, 2006, 18:46

what's your baud rate again? and the device make?
I may need to compile a special version for you to figure out what's going on...

did you recompile the green screen prog? or used mine?

exstatic
August 25th, 2006, 15:03
Awesome app deniska, I was going to buy a PDA just for mapping, but now this is out, its fantastic!

Just a feature request.. do you think it will be possible to add in the ability to 'search' for locations, i.e street names, post codes etc..? Similar to the search on Google, or a TomTom.

I can see a huge market for an application like this on a PSP.

Well done!

Xern
August 25th, 2006, 15:47
My baudrate is 4800, and so I had to recompile the greenscreen program. Everything I did, was changing the baud from 38400 to 4800. Your recompile for 4800 did not seem to work.

My GPS unit is the Garmin GPSmap 60C, a portable GPS with LCD screen. I have yet to try the program after a coldstart with no UMD - I have, however, tried the program with no UMD from program start.

EDIT: Oh, and here's the keygen. www.home.no/xern/deniska.zip

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN

liornet
August 25th, 2006, 19:59
Make sure you have the latest version of PSPSDK
and libraries like ziplib, libping, jpeg, etc from ps2dev svn server
can you specify with one?
becuse ther is a lot fo libs ther

A Fn NOOB
August 25th, 2006, 23:29
I can get 8 sats with "gps 4800" (Greenscreen), then switch to Mapthis and nothing. Wifi Off, No UMD, config set, etc. Ive checked and double checked since my 'false alarm' a couple weeks ago. (When I didnt know about Wifi switch)

btw, in "Greenscreen-4800" I can have a UMD in, and have wifi switch on, doesnt matter, works fine....

Also the beta worked good once I was told about wifi switch.

Wow, this place has become a madhouse, just as I predicted!

Deniska, did you win the coding contest?

Also, I have an idea for someone wanting to make an add-in module for Mapthis:

In the same fashion as Mapthis pulls free maps from Google and displays them on the PSP via wifi, I imagine NEXRAD doppler radar & satellite weather loops could be pulled and displayed, either by GPS coordinates, or from the Java US map where you select the nearest NEXRAD facility, or I think by zip code. It would then display LIVE weather radar on the psp (Loops several JPGs over and over to make a moving image, and updates periodically-if configured to do so)

There is a program PSPweather but it just shows a crappy icon with a cloud or sun, and the temp/wind.
And there is a guy who made a thing for 2.7 web browser to go to NEXRAD loops, but to get them via WIFI in 1.5 would make the front pages; get lots of Oooh's and Ahhh's.

Too many ideas, too little time.

Xern
August 26th, 2006, 17:30
Okay, back with another status-rapport. I've tried the following things now:

Coldboot with GPS powered on, and connected -no UMD, and wlan switch off since before the boot. I even uninstalled harleyg's firmware mod. No luck, still bad signal.

Tried the same procedure, but changing baud rate to "04800", to see if it would help in any way. Nope, no change.

Tried the exact same things with the beta version - and guess what? Still won't work. It's just as good not having any GPS physically connected.

It's a shame not being able to use such an awesome application :(

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN

Spectreman
August 27th, 2006, 19:42
Hi guys.
I, like Xern, have been trying to get a Garmin GPS to work with this (GPS III) without any luck. I made sure the cable was ok, changed the baud rate in the config file to 4800, checked that data was getting into the psp by using a scope, correct level, but no go. After looking at the NMEA data sentences from the Holux unit & the Garmin, I can see there are some small differences between the two. I believe this may be the problem. My GPS is 10 years old, so I am not surprised. Will be buying a Holux GPS soon now so I can get the program fully running. Is a very cool app by the way !

vibez
August 28th, 2006, 13:26
EDIT: Oh, and here's the keygen. www.home.no/xern/deniska.zip

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN
Cheers :)

deniska
August 28th, 2006, 14:52
Okay, back with another status-rapport. I've tried the following things now:

Coldboot with GPS powered on, and connected -no UMD, and wlan switch off since before the boot. I even uninstalled harleyg's firmware mod. No luck, still bad signal.

Tried the same procedure, but changing baud rate to "04800", to see if it would help in any way. Nope, no change.

Tried the exact same things with the beta version - and guess what? Still won't work. It's just as good not having any GPS physically connected.

It's a shame not being able to use such an awesome application :(

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN

As I understand, your gps DOES work with the "green screen" program.

If this is the case, there is definitely a way to make it work with Mapthis...
In the current version, the timing algorithm for reading NMEA stuff was really geared towards a fast baud device... In the next version, I'll introduce more config parameters to tweak the read timing... Hopefully, it will fix your problem...

Stay tuned... :-)

deniska
August 28th, 2006, 14:57
btw, in "Greenscreen-4800" I can have a UMD in, and have wifi switch on, doesnt matter, works fine....

Also the beta worked good once I was told about wifi switch.

Unlike MapThis!, the green screen prog does not load the WIFI module, which, I think does the checking for switch and UMD...

Xern
August 29th, 2006, 08:00
Yes, the program does indeed work in the recompiled greenscreen program.

Thanks for putting your time and effort into fixing my problem, appreciate it! :D

Sincerely;
MalfunctioN

EDIT: Typo -ish

A Fn NOOB
August 29th, 2006, 13:08
As mentioned in another thread, I have a beta of MapThis! that works fine with gps @ 4800.

I can post it, if Deniska has no objections.

There is a checksum though.

deniska
August 29th, 2006, 21:55
Can you please try v0.2 (just posted it) and let me know if it works with your gps...
Try gradually increasing READTIME in config from 1 to 10 or more and see if it starts picking up data from your devices...

Xern
August 30th, 2006, 07:33
Sure! I'll do it first thing when I get home. At school now, absuing their highspeed connection (A)

romeo_1
September 30th, 2006, 17:28
Hey i just discovered your homebrew app, gps on the psp?!! amazing!! but im new to this so someone please help. how do I get a map of my local area on the psp? and what kind of gps reciever do i need? and how will it connect to the psp?

Thanks!

deanspeed
October 1st, 2006, 20:23
this will awnser a few of your questions:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068

romeo_1
October 2nd, 2006, 00:00
this will awnser a few of your questions:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068

Hey thanks man, yeh I was a lil quick to post, i found this stuff later. its a pretty simple set up!

but You have to download route off google before you set off yeh? thats the ONLY downside!

deanspeed
October 2nd, 2006, 05:54
yea, use in7ane's tool (second link i gave) to download the maps and to get poi's. it can be a bit confusing at first but once you figure it out it shouldn't be a problem.

romeo_1
October 2nd, 2006, 17:46
yea, use in7ane's tool (second link i gave) to download the maps and to get poi's. it can be a bit confusing at first but once you figure it out it shouldn't be a problem.

What gps receiver are you using? becase they are a bit expensive!

deanspeed
October 3rd, 2006, 00:46
I'm using the GPSlim236 witch is whats recommended since it is what deniska is using. just remember if you plan on getting something else then make sure its been tested and works and i think that you would also need a specially compiled version of mapThis!.

Robertlatacz
December 9th, 2006, 16:08
Hi,

My dad got a tom tom gps yesterday and im interested in setting "map this" up on my psp. I have already downloaded maps from google and it works really good. But now i want to set it up to work with the gps but have no idea how my psp and gps communicate (is it wireless or through a cable?) could you explain how to get it up.

Thanks.

arjen
January 25th, 2007, 14:55
I got my gps290 and installed map this but i still dont understand how to get the maps in.
got google maps download 0.4.0b
but how do i get the maps what settings?
can someone explain this>?

brokolli
February 16th, 2007, 21:28
I got my gps290 and installed map this but i still dont understand how to get the maps in.
got google maps download 0.4.0b
but how do i get the maps what settings?
can someone explain this>?

hello i got the same problem ! can't find anywhere how to use google map tool, i mean there are soooooo many settings and check boxes don't have any idear which one is right. please someone make some screenshots ! please !

the other problem is i can see one map in mapthis and zoom in put , but i can't get any signals for gps-290 or the arrow where i am :( . the green-programm can find 10 sattelits and fix 4-6 of them, but in map this nothing happens. what have i done wrong ?. sry 4 posting it here but i cant open new thread :(.

any idears ?

shoozahandle0823
May 23rd, 2007, 16:04
I have question for you guys.

I have psp 290 with 1.5 version of psp.
it seems like the mapThis cant find my gps itself.

when i started the mapthis program and start GPS,
arrow goes into left corner.

any idea to fix this ?

thanx

deniska
May 23rd, 2007, 19:15
I have question for you guys.

I have psp 290 with 1.5 version of psp.
it seems like the mapThis cant find my gps itself.

when i started the mapthis program and start GPS,
arrow goes into left corner.

any idea to fix this ?

thanx
psp-290 will only work with PSP-290 version of the program, running under 3.xx kernel...

conazo
May 24th, 2007, 01:17

Thanks,
Jay
Does mapthis work with psp software version 3.40?

seanluxor
May 25th, 2007, 22:02
Could u not use the official PSP GPS in europe? With map this etc?

fashgi
May 26th, 2007, 08:46
hello and thanks for your mapthis software.
i have a problem with regions map . I have som map in jpg or other pic format . can we coordinate them and use with map this. it is very use for for regions that they hav not any map on google or other sites.

Nordin
July 25th, 2007, 11:34
i want to make my psp gps work but i have the latest version 3.51 and it doesent work can anyone help pls?

specialist83
July 25th, 2007, 11:42
it's not necessary to dig out such a long ago thread and make a post juz to ask such a question my fren...

anyway ur answer is no...n it'll be a long long time i guess before u'll be able to use it...

gwee
August 8th, 2007, 14:03
Hey.
Does anyone know if Map This! will work in Israel?

lofarkas
August 8th, 2007, 19:10
Umm, yes. GPS works everywhere... there is a reason why they call it 'global'.

I'm sure there are decent maps for Israel as well.

Codaz
August 8th, 2007, 19:11
Google hasn't got maps for israel, maybe windows live.

sunbun
August 8th, 2007, 19:14
Can somebody tell what to do from the beginning? I want to view maps on my PSP. Please help!:)

in7ane
August 8th, 2007, 19:53
gwee, there doesn't seem to be a useable map source for Israel (let me klnow if you know of one, the tiling setup would have to be the same as Google's). I've converted relatively old 1:50K Russian topographic maps http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_russian_topo/_Israel%20(r8%20Russian%20Topo).zip but they ended up quite unusable for driving (contrast is lower than in Google Maps and the sunny weather makes it even worse). To get a preview of what it's like without downloading the 500MB zip: http://www.in7ane.com/topomaps/?lat=3757259.5449&lon=3903130.05507&zoom=9&layers=B

appleappletwo
August 9th, 2007, 00:01
just found in youbube new map this! 0.5, is this part of the interal testing:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0RQRtTMbtk
nice work Deniska!!!

deniska
August 9th, 2007, 01:17
Yep, myself and few more people are actively testing it at the moment.
I'll really try to push out the 0.5 by Aug 17th - 1 year anyversary of the program :-)
man, time flies!

Codaz
August 9th, 2007, 02:36
1 year already wow.

Hope coding now goes faster as more coders are coming in !

deniska
August 9th, 2007, 03:49
actually it slows down as the complexity of the code grows.. more chances for errors..

chris.thesandman
August 9th, 2007, 05:25
great work deniska, i CAN'T WAIT FOR 0.5.

gwee
August 9th, 2007, 07:51
gwee, there doesn't seem to be a useable map source for Israel (let me klnow if you know of one, the tiling setup would have to be the same as Google's). I've converted relatively old 1:50K Russian topographic maps http://www.in7ane.com/psp/maps_russi...an%20Topo).zip but they ended up quite unusable for driving (contrast is lower than in Google Maps and the sunny weather makes it even worse). To get a preview of what it's like without downloading the 500MB zip: http://www.in7ane.com/topomaps/?lat=...m=9&layers= B

Thanks.
Yeah :(, I forgot that there are no Israel maps in google. Maybe I could get maps from a different navigator program and those could be converted?
I don't see any other place in finding any gps maps of Israel.

feynfeyn
August 28th, 2007, 02:01
i cant download the mapviewer files > maybe its temporary

Mystheryman
August 28th, 2007, 06:49
@mumuism
I'm using the Windshield Mount from Arcon.
Really goog.

maans88
September 27th, 2007, 01:48
HI
is tehre any way i can get the whole map of north america ( USA and CANADA) if yah
could u please gimme da link of where to get it from

thank u

deniska
September 27th, 2007, 05:01
you can generate it yourself via gmdl tool
make sure you adjust the zoom range so the map fits on your memory stick...

kohht
September 28th, 2007, 19:04
maans88
if uue going to download whole map, uue must rmb to check yr memory stick and if uue going to download tt much.. it may take out lot splace.. try to untick the zoom lever map or untick the map tt uue dun nid to download.. as deniska say yr map hav to fits on your memory stick ^-^

BouncE
September 28th, 2007, 21:11
haha i made a map of the us and it was 17 GB i believe with all the zooms

dazzerg
January 10th, 2008, 01:59
hey there deniska if possible could you send me a map of sydney for mapthis i keep loosing internet connect if you could send to [email protected] or [email protected] or even post it here that would be fantastic thanks in advance from a very happy mapthis user

Nieko
January 10th, 2008, 09:15
Do you honestly think a developer would spend time on getting someone a map when he could also improve program functionality e.g.? Besides, sharing maps isn't legal.

Try downloading from a PC with a more stable internet connection.

Oh, and also, don't double post. And don't cross post. And post in the right topic...

Cloudzzz
March 2nd, 2008, 16:21
Anyone has any idea how to:

1) route your map to your destination?
i found one using this :
http://nieko.net/tools/getroute.php

2) draw lines connecting all the waypoints? which is much easier to follow when driving.

Thanks for answering to my questions. Much appreciated! (:

Nieko
March 2nd, 2008, 16:30
You can connect all the POIs in a POI file by adding a line with "!WAYPOINT" in it. This is also explained on the Wikibook (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!).

Cloudzzz
March 3rd, 2008, 05:54
You can connect all the POIs in a POI file by adding a line with "!WAYPOINT" in it. This is also explained on the Wikibook (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!).

I still can't get the waypoint command right. can you post a sample of POIs in a notepad file?

Nieko
March 3rd, 2008, 08:56
You can download a route from http://getroute.nieko.net, it includes this directive at the top. Just play around with the file a bit to see the effect :)

Also see http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Map_This!#Points_of_Interest_.28POI.29_and_routes for the possible directives.

shaddow221
August 11th, 2008, 21:33
where do i download it?

deniska
August 12th, 2008, 05:28
where do i download it?
MapThis? - The latest version is here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79825

shaddow221
August 13th, 2008, 22:17
where do u place the map this file in?

emanuelsegura
October 17th, 2008, 20:10
good job

nights666
October 19th, 2008, 14:57
:confused::confused::confused:

MAPTHIS will work in the new custom firmware 5.00M33 from DarkAleX ????
:eek:

Lucky_Bastard
October 19th, 2008, 17:58
up! for this question too.

harryk
October 20th, 2008, 06:06
Just FYI.

I tested cfw 5.00 M33 this evening with MapThis!, it worked like a champ.

Still takes a few minutes for signal lock, but it could be me and my GPS (psp-290).

Is there anything newer than the stock .52 version, I haven't kept up with development. Nieko, do you have a separate thread?

Lucky_Bastard
October 20th, 2008, 06:43
good job. THANKS! Time for me to update.

nights666
October 21st, 2008, 23:45
I've upgraded direct from 3.90m33 to 5.00m33.
Mapthis! running great !!! :thumbup: No Files modification required. ;)

to harryk:
found 0 (zero) sattelites inside my house (at a building)

In outside area, found 6 (six) sattelites, getting my current position in 20 or 30 seconds (I have tested in two cities: Curitiba, Brasil (In a very Stormy weather) and Florianópolis, Brasil.
Same results.... 20 or 30 seconds.

My configuration PSP-290 + PSP2000

I don't know why, but, when i just have bought the GPS unit, 7 months ago.... I have got 3 or 4 minutes to find my current position.... Maybe, Now there is more sattelites at my area...:D :D :D

john_3330
November 7th, 2008, 04:10
Hi harryk and nights666, i need some help here..

Can anyone of u clarify with me something? Do i need to do something to the .PRX files in my PSP in order for the PSP GPS 290 to work on my CFW5.00m33?

Or will it work just fine without any modifications to the PRX files?

Ur answers means alot to me as im thinking of getting either the Holux M1000 receiver or the PSP 290 receiver..

havard20009
March 11th, 2009, 09:31
hi
i try use in psp slim fw 5.02 GEN-A but i receive error 80020148)
any one test with this fw ? or psp slim ?

clubedasmoedas
April 10th, 2009, 05:31
don't work in my PSP2003

Software 5.03

binhusc
July 19th, 2009, 16:36
don't work in my PSP2003

Software 5.03

Are you running ChickHEN with CFWEnabler?