PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus unofficial pre R8 Release (N64 Emu for PSP)

wraggster
August 18th, 2006, 02:37
In our Daedalus r8 WIP thread there was a newly compiled release of the release 7 sources with the speedhacks code that StrmnNrmn posted on his blog, now its reported that its running faster than release 7 but that might be just some over eager forum users, best thing is to try yourself and post your own verdict.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

remember this is not an official version

gsmumbo
August 18th, 2006, 02:43
Star Fox runs at speeds varying from 5 - 17 fps during game play. Awsome speeds. At times feels like full speed.

Smash Brothers still freezes after character select with dynarec off. Doesnt get past Press Start screen with dynarec on.

Banjo Kazooie gets through cut scene with speeds peaking around 15 fps, but generally around 4-6. After cut scene runs around 2-4.

PSPCRACKER
August 18th, 2006, 02:58
the only thing that has changed in this release is the one line of code which deadalus was converting automacility and a frame skiper

still compatabilty issuses but speed increase but 5fps

mario ingame know 20fps
and
mario kart at 15fps

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 03:13
Yes! Awesome update! Thanks StrmnNrmn! :)

Sterist
August 18th, 2006, 03:17
this is not just a bunch of noobs lol

this change was just 1 line in the code, and increases speed by about 5% (1fps)

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 03:18
Big things come in small packages Sterist ;)

vettacossx
August 18th, 2006, 03:35
sweet
give me more! lol!! ;)

siulmagic
August 18th, 2006, 03:37
yes it is faster and the file names are incorrect the one that says daedalus_fs is the one that frame skip is disabled,and the one that sats daedalus_nofs is the one with fram skip 1

shadowhawk22
August 18th, 2006, 03:41
I just wanted to add my two cents, since I always find these updates too late to get a word in. I really want to thank those of you who work on this emulator, it means a lot to me to one day have a N64 emulator for my PSP. Keep up the good work!!!!

,Brett

Briggzy11
August 18th, 2006, 03:43
In other words so far this is 0.5% faster haha

gslop
August 18th, 2006, 03:47

lol

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 04:07
But its still an increase. Little by little he will get there.

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 04:13
it just freezes when i start mine up

pkmaximum
August 18th, 2006, 04:15
Ughh can somebody tell me wich zip is just the speed increased version. Because I downloaded it and I don't feel like installing both to find out, plus i might not notice knowing me XD

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 04:25
i cant get this to work, can someone help all i see is a black screen

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 04:26
This doesn't work for me either.... :confused:
And btw, since we need 20 fps to emulate most N64 at full speed, and since this update gives us from 1-4 fps boost, this is actually a 5-20% speed increase, not .5% speed increase. :)

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 04:29
Agree video your right you freak,. LOL

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 04:30
Um....thanks Burned by Acid.

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 04:31
can someone please help, i really want to test thi out but it wont work, what the hell is this, is this some kind of joke!!!! dont joke around when it comes to something like this!!!

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 04:31
No, it's no joke. Just wait for the official release. ;)

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 04:33
is this released by strmnrm, or some imitation dude?????

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 04:35
is this released by strmnrm, or some imitation dude?????
Not sure. It's unofficial though- hence the title... :rolleyes:

drew4237
August 18th, 2006, 04:42
i bet someone figured out where the line of code was and changed it and released it.

sroon
August 18th, 2006, 04:47
Zelda is awsume!
all I need is for the saves to work then il be happy!

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:03
hi guys ima noob when u put on daedalus r8 on ya psp do u put both the nofs files and fs file in your psp thanx

chrisrulz555
August 18th, 2006, 05:06
hi guys ima noob when u put on daedalus r8 on ya psp do u put both the nofs files and fs file in your psp thanx

Because daedalus is so advanced you must put the eboot in every folder on your psp to gain maximum effect.

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 05:08
Because daedalus is so advanced you must put the eboot in every folder on your psp to gain maximum effect.

:D lol

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:12
when i unzip the files daedalus fs and nofs do i put the contents of both those folders into the GAME folder? cuz im confused does anyone have a step by step guide

felonyr301
August 18th, 2006, 05:17
ill wait for the official one this was done by some dude who was curious.

mcvader
August 18th, 2006, 05:24
all you need to do to install is make sure r7's on your memory card (In the right place of course) and replace the eboots in the both the normal and the % folders and it will run fine. I thought the links must have been mixed up, the nofs version felt a lot faster to me. Zelda's running as good as mario was a couple of releases ago, I got 102fps on te nintendo logo at the begining!:)

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:25
okay i dont have daedalus r7 on my psp im doing that now is there a step by step guide im real new to all of this i mean i only got my 1.50 today lol

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:28
okay i dont have r7 im going to try and do that now is there a step by step guide for that i mean im real new to the "homebrew" community i only got my 1.50 TODAY

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 05:30
Ok. First, don't double post. You put the Daedalus and Daedalus% folders in GAME. You put ROM's in Daedalus.

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:35
so daedalus v 100 and src are useless or do i put them in the game folder as well?

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 05:38
Those are just the source code and I don't even know what that other folder is. :confused:
I couldn't get this emulator to run, so I would just wait for the official release, which could come as early as today.

mcvader
August 18th, 2006, 05:39
okay i dont have r7 im going to try and do that now is there a step by step guide for that i mean im real new to the "homebrew" community i only got my 1.50 TODAY

Download r7 and extract the Daedalus AND Deadalus% folders into F:/PSP/GAME folder (F: being the memory card removable disk drive in my Computer).
Make a folder in F:/ called N64 and copy your uncompressed roms into it (the unoffical update dose not support zip's).
Download the unoffical nofs version and replace the Eboot files in both Daedalus folders in GAME, quit usb mode, go to the far right option in the psp's operating system and choose the bottom option Memory stick and press X, Daedalus should be the top programon the list, Press X and enjoy.
hope this helps:)

P.S, read the readme file in the Daedalus folder for help in the emu.

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:45
i got it to work but it has a framerate of 12.95 is that normal sorry to be such a pain

jerutyaj
August 18th, 2006, 05:46
btw thanx mcvader

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 05:49
Yes, that's normal.
No, your not being a pain. ;)

mcvader
August 18th, 2006, 05:55
I personally hope the release of this unofficial version delays the release of the real R8, give StrmnNrmn more time to find more bugs like this one and make a new GUI (30fps on mario feels oh so close now)

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 06:22
Download r7 and extract the Daedalus AND Deadalus% folders into F:/PSP/GAME folder (F: being the memory card removable disk drive in my Computer).
Make a folder in F:/ called N64 and copy your uncompressed roms into it (the unoffical update dose not support zip's).
Download the unoffical nofs version and replace the Eboot files in both Daedalus folders in GAME, quit usb mode, go to the far right option in the psp's operating system and choose the bottom option Memory stick and press X, Daedalus should be the top programon the list, Press X and enjoy.
hope this helps:)

P.S, read the readme file in the Daedalus folder for help in the emu.

thanks now it works
:D :D :D

BL4Z3D247
August 18th, 2006, 06:24
awesome a pre-release :D, can anyone tell me which file is faster please...thanx in advance

Cooe14
August 18th, 2006, 06:26
NOTE: The FS and NOFS are mixed up. If you want NO frameskip use the FS version. If you want frameskip use the NOFS version. And this is way faster. I suggest comparing the opening Zelda cutscene on this and on R7. And blazed the NOFS version has frameskip applied on it so it will run the fastest, but it's way more choppy, and the FS version has no frameskip so it will run slower that NOFS but faster than R7, but it's alot smoother.

BL4Z3D247
August 18th, 2006, 06:28
NOTE: The FS and NOFS are mixed up. If you want NO frameskip use the FS version. If you want frameskip use the NOFS version. And this is way faster. I suggest comparing the opening Zelda cutscene on this and on R7
nofs is the faster one Cooe14?

mcvader
August 18th, 2006, 06:34
I hope StrmnNrmn Adds the framskip option to the official release, I remember him saying there was no point in frameskip because it would only give a 0.05% or something increase to speed but the fameskip is a huge difference, I wonder what frameskip 2 or 3 would be like. Please, Please, Please give us a frameskip option.

The nintendo logo at the begining of zelda ran at 102fps for me but i thought the psp could only push 60? must the frameskip I guess.

Cooe14
August 18th, 2006, 06:35
nofs is the faster one Cooe14?
Reread above post it's been edited :rolleyes: . And I perfer FS because NOFS is just too darn choppy. And Mcvader the reason you got 102 fps is not because of the frameskip. It's because Strmnnrmn does not have a fps limit set on his emulator which means that the speed will be as fast as the emulator can make it even if the speed is above what the n64 puts out. I am guessing he will put a 60fps limit on it soon.

Mr. Shizzy
August 18th, 2006, 06:44

C'mon man. It's not cool to mislead people.:( This kid could take that comment seriuos. Jurutyraj - the best thing you could do to familiarize yourself with the homebrew scene would be to read through the "PSP Help Forums". It's in the blue print on the left side of this sites main page. I'de just bookmark this site. PSP-NEWS is the definitive place for all your homebrew needs. :D Just remeber to look BEFORE you ask. And GOOGLE is your friend. :) Feel free to PM me if your ever in a jam....Oh, and one more thing, any program that say's it writes to your PSP's "flash" is a program that could potentially "brick" (permanently destroy) it. Make sure you are absolutley POSITIVE you have done your homework (and gotten the progam from a trusted source, which is right here @ psp-news) And whatever you do, DO NOT update the damn thing to play a new game. This process may be irreversible (depending on what firmware you update to). Just look on this sites main page for a program called "Devhook" to play newer games without updating. Good luck!!!:D

mcvader
August 18th, 2006, 06:50
Yes but my point is I thought the PSP screen was limited to 60, mabye the emu's running it at 102 and the screen is just showing it at 60, I know he had'nt put a frame limiter on yet but then there's been no ponit up till now anyway.

vettacossx
August 18th, 2006, 07:04
Zipped Roms Dont Work!!

BL4Z3D247
August 18th, 2006, 07:25
Zipped Roms Dont Work!!
no, not anymore

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 07:30
I didnt think zipped roms worked on it period

BL4Z3D247
August 18th, 2006, 07:33
I didnt think zipped roms worked on it period
it did but not since R4 or R5 i can't remember which one but one of thoses :D

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 07:39
I thought it was donkeys emu the one that supported zipped roms

LAMPRO
August 18th, 2006, 07:42
Donkey. Lol.

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 07:49
????????????????????????????????????????????????

BL4Z3D247
August 18th, 2006, 07:50
do u mean Daedalus PRE-R5 that Donkey compiled?

i know R4 and R5 supported zipped roms...i always unzip them unless told not to like for the CPS1&2 emus

SmashinGit
August 18th, 2006, 08:02
Thanks but no thanks, I'll wait for the official release.

BL4Z3D247
August 18th, 2006, 08:04
Thanks but no thanks, I'll wait for the official release.
what u don't want a little taste of R8? that's ludacris lol :D

SmashinGit
August 18th, 2006, 08:09
Not at all, I just trust StrmnNrmn work more.

samthegreat68
August 18th, 2006, 08:23
Um....thanks Burned by Acid.

umm lol

im waiting for the official anyways..

m0dm0use
August 18th, 2006, 08:30
wow such a non worthy speed increase I just want more compatability speed is nice also but then concentrate on the mario games for the speed

rehbock
August 18th, 2006, 08:34
zelda oot intro where hes lieing in bed i have there 25fps o_o
and 18fps om first room because all textures of room are missing they are green and the bed is blue : D

Kramer
August 18th, 2006, 08:44
zelda oot intro where hes lieing in bed i have there 25fps o_o
and 18fps om first room because all textures of room are missing they are green and the bed is blue : D

woah thats fast my rom only goes 13fps in the first room can you tell me the exact name of your rom please.:)

rehbock
August 18th, 2006, 09:49
name what fore ? i just modifity the daedalus.ini ;)

tophead420
August 18th, 2006, 10:15
well im just gonna wait for the official this ones not workin at all for me o well

jimmi
August 18th, 2006, 10:18
good progress!

god i hate mornings ... *yawn*

dlowings
August 18th, 2006, 10:23
This was kinda funny, I downloaded R7 three days ago and was thinking to my self while playing mario cart "hey this aint so bad" Then today I was lucky enough to see this when there were only two posts to this thread and I downloaded the update. Thinking to my self, hey FS has to be faster, so I loaded it. As soon as I started Mario Kart im thinking hey, hold on the programmer is going the wrong way lol. For kicks I loaded the nfs and seen that it was working way better. It was nice to see that everyone stumbled onto the same issue. I love this emulator, this kid is doing great work. From what he posted earlyer in the day, I dont think it was a matter of changeing one line in the source code. Great work keep it up

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 18th, 2006, 10:32
keep it up!!!

xiringu
August 18th, 2006, 10:45
I've tried several games and I got nice speedups on intros, but I didn't see any extra fps during gameplay

it was 7am without sleeping, so I might be wrong :P

anyway, nice update, looking forward for the next one

jimmi
August 18th, 2006, 10:48
xiringu get sum sleep fool!

rehbock
August 18th, 2006, 10:58
Mario Peach Letter 17 fps - 25fps
Mario Flyby (under bridge) 20 fps avarange
Mario in Castle 17-20 fps
Mario In Game 15fps avarange

Top1
August 18th, 2006, 10:59

ok, lets calculate this one...
every game is 1fps faster.

1fps = 0,5%
2fps = 1%
200fps = 100%

200fps awesome, i want your version of daedalus,
but in fact the fps max of the psp is something around 67fps

the speed increase i calculate would be

20fps = 100%
10fps = 50%
1fps = 5%

so 5% speed increase for every rom isnt bad!
but give me your version which runs 200fps and i will shout up!

fenian
August 18th, 2006, 11:28
i look forward it for a long time.....i want to try it when it become more perfect

JD/
August 18th, 2006, 12:05
I got my hands on this unreleased version yesterday night and its preety awesom and just a note for people that it only runs faster on roms that check for movements in the controls and these will most likely be games with 3d graphics such as mario and zelda because they check for movement in the controls more than one time per frame to give smoother gameplay. Daedalus owns cant wait for official version :D.

Zion
August 18th, 2006, 12:23
Okay, just tested Mario 64 and this is great :D

Frameskip makes such a big difference

Baboon
August 18th, 2006, 13:52
Crikey... I've only just started playing with R7... and bang! ...A pre R8 is here already!

Hopefuly the offical one will be here asap.

I'm expecting great things from R11 and 12 ...hopefuly less buggy and with sound? :)

Cho Aniki
August 18th, 2006, 14:35
I really love this emu , but i would love it even more if it had a button combo to come back to the menu cause when your beta testing 100 games it gets bothersome.

keep up with the great work.

Mr. Shizzy
August 18th, 2006, 14:41
Crikey... I've only just started playing with R7... and bang! ...A pre R8 is here already!

Hopefuly the offical one will be here asap.

I'm expecting great things from R11 and 12 ...hopefuly less buggy and with sound? :)

Me too. I think StrmnNrmn said it should be in peak form in about a year...;)

Baboon
August 18th, 2006, 15:47
I just think its unbelievable that we’ve got such a cool machine being emulated on the PSP.

I can wait a year for perfection! :)

FrozenIpaq
August 18th, 2006, 15:50
What I want to know is why Wraggster didn't link the source to that "other site", I thought we had a truce of some sort - we link to Deniska's blog for a source ont he dcemu network, so I would only expect that you source PSPU as well - did PSMonkey's start to the N64 emu go in vain?

Kramer
August 18th, 2006, 15:52
What I want to know is why Wraggster didn't link the source to that "other site", I thought we had a truce of some sort - we link to Deniska's blog for a source ont he dcemu network, so I would only expect that you source PSPU as well - did PSMonkey's start to the N64 emu go in vain?

why dont you pm him and find out.

Tinnus
August 18th, 2006, 16:05
By the way, it WAS ineed a matter of changing 4 characters of one line of code. I had this idea some days before he posted that (actually the day R7 was released, or the day after), changed the line, but strangely couldn't feel any difference. Now I do =P I think I didn't replace the files right or something, hahaha.

Unlimitedv2
August 18th, 2006, 16:57
This goes as slow as R2.

Mr. Shizzy
August 18th, 2006, 17:09
This goes as slow as R2.

I'm going to just wait for the official r8 to be released. Haven't tried this one. But if this goes even faster than r7 how could it be slower than r2? :confused: lol

Kramer
August 18th, 2006, 17:16
if StrmnNrmn doesnt put frameskip in r8 this will be faster so i reccomend you try it

JD/
August 18th, 2006, 17:37
This goes as slow as R2.
I dont what your talking about lol R2 pails in comparison to this pre R8 release

jimmi
August 18th, 2006, 17:39
i love his emus but i just dont have enuff space for it all on my mem stick so im gonna wait till R10 i think cos by then il b bored of all my snes roms, which i do own.

piracy sucks ass.

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 17:51
Your right jimmi, but it's nice to see the progress. :)
And, yes, piracy sucks ass. :(

eazy-e
August 18th, 2006, 18:21
iam about to try it

Masch
August 18th, 2006, 18:59
i was amazed with this thing, thank you StrmnNrmn:D

Accordion
August 18th, 2006, 19:20
ahh

mario 64 seems too eratic now...maybe its too fast?
if you go to the courtyard it gets up to 35fps...scary
and i got 96fps in the level info screen

mario kart runs great in timetrial

maybe its time to add sound support....but i guess that would cause the speed to drop dramatically

JD/
August 18th, 2006, 19:56
ahh

mario 64 seems too eratic now...maybe its too fast?
if you go to the courtyard it gets up to 35fps...scary
and i got 96fps in the level info screen

mario kart runs great in timetrial

maybe its time to add sound support....but i guess that would cause the speed to drop dramatically
I think StrmnNrmn should add sound support but not yet because not all of the games run as good as mario games like zelda are running at 8fps max ingame i think when all the games reach a certain "playable" level then sound should be introduced and if it slows down the game it could be turned off or something using a interface that can be accessed in game.

Tinnus
August 18th, 2006, 20:01
http://www.uploading.com/?get=VOPIWQLC

That seems to me faster (and OMG, a lot less choppy) than that frameskip one.

wraggster
August 18th, 2006, 20:21
uploaded your version to http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32695

i may have to get my PSP out to try it :)

eazy-e
August 19th, 2006, 00:39
it works faster than the other ones but ther is no sounds

Xiro
August 19th, 2006, 01:16
eazy-e there is no sound in any version yet...

djakku
August 19th, 2006, 03:09
It's too soon to add sound IMO. The graphics are yet to be tweaked and it's not because an optimization has been found that thing need to be rushed.. On the contrary

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 19th, 2006, 11:28
thx!!

2SHAE
August 29th, 2006, 18:35
what is an nofs

beansta
September 4th, 2006, 22:27
nofs stands for NO FRAMESKIP. but i read in earlier posts that the filenames are mixed up so that fs (Frameskip) is actually the build without the frameskip turned on and the other has got it enabled:)

jo la fiotte
January 18th, 2007, 19:33
go

Zion
January 18th, 2007, 19:54
Please stop bumping old threads :(

Posting comments or silly one letter words, isnt going to get strmnrm back any sooner im afraid

CaptainMorgan4
January 18th, 2007, 19:57
Please StrmnNrmn come back please!!

pkmaximum
January 19th, 2007, 15:10
I really doubt that he is going to come back dude don't poste in old threads spamming useless information. Not to mention he doesn't read these forums anyway. If anything he only reads his blog wch is already spammed enough.

tsurumaru
January 19th, 2007, 15:17
I'm afraid Captain Morgan that many of the people on his blog including yourself are responsible for him leaving the scene. Incessant posting is not the way to encourage someone. Show patience and maybe good things will happen in the long run.

Please let this thread die as not even relevant to the last Daedalus release.

Kind regards.