PDA

View Full Version : Left-Handed Gamers Getting Left Behind?

wraggster
September 15th, 2010, 21:53
As the stylus becomes a contemporary equal with the controller and joystick, it is a bit surprising to notice a game developer overlooking the simple fact that there are a lot of Southpaw gamers out there. But the creators of Base 10, a mini-game on the DSi, did just that, making it impossible for the game to be played by anyone who isn't right-handed. Seems pretty silly for a game developer to just cut out a slice of their potential audience right from the start.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/09/15/1611228/Left-Handed-Gamers-Getting-Left-Behind

thaddius
September 16th, 2010, 18:41
This seems to be a growing trend.

Another DSiWare game that doesn't support left-handedness is Bookworm. And just like Base 10, when I asked for my money back for Bookworm I was told that was impossible. Popcap at least gave me a free game for my trouble...

Nintendo's usually pretty good about left-handed gamers; the DS\DS Lite\DSi has symmetrical controls and most games have the option to flip the screens for lefties like myself.

The 3DS is another matter though. With only 1 analogue stick on the left side, that means that someone like me will have a tough time.

Eviltaco64
September 16th, 2010, 20:21
The 3DS is another matter though. With only 1 analogue stick on the left side, that means that someone like me will have a tough time.

That's the way most controllers are, though. Analog sticks are almost always on the left side (like the PSP).

I'd say that the Wii sort of leaves left-handers behind. Hell, Twilight Princess was inverted for right-handers, and it was a launch title! So they sort of kicked off the Wii launch with righty bias. :P