PDA

View Full Version : What do you call the special effect that has more of the same character in one shot?

MrTeressaBond
August 18th, 2006, 16:14
What do you call the special effect that has more of the same character in one shot?

like wen they can interact with eachother, and is abit like the Matrix Reloaded wen there is a multiple character shot of Agent Smith talking to eachother.

i am trying to do the same thing but not to be overly complicated, but just simple really.

i would really appreciate it if anyone can help me on this.

Kramer
August 18th, 2006, 16:30
i dont know maybe ghosting

MrTeressaBond
August 18th, 2006, 16:34
anyone?

or please dont hesistate if u dont understand wat i described above, please say so.

anyone else perhaps?

Accordion
August 18th, 2006, 17:33
hmmm
one way is green screen, film each character individually on the green screen, (this is used to diffrentiate between the actor and the surroundings, in case you dont know) and have the base film with the primary role filmed as normal, then you apply the extra green screen footage over the top.
you will need software "cut" the image from the green though, some cameras have the function built in, but Final Cut Pro can definately do it, im not completely sure how, ive only done green screen using a static image as the substitute background, and that was a long time ago...

it is possible though to simply set up your camera on a tripod and simply film each act separately, then overlay each one in post production. if you use masks on each part of footage you should be able to keep all the parts at full opacity...

MrTeressaBond
August 19th, 2006, 01:45
on the last section u mentioned where to film each character seperatly, and then overlay each one in post production.

how can i do that? where can i get tutorials on how to do that may i ask?

i have found wiked examples on YouTube that which is exactly what i had in mind. here are some that i really liked, but not to appear kust like that on screen, but the multiple characters in one shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ERTPRLboAc&NR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l43pyVPY2o8&mode=related&search=

MrTeressaBond
August 19th, 2006, 14:01
anyone?

did anyone check out the links?

Accordion
August 19th, 2006, 17:46
what are you using to edit…?

if final cut pro i may be able to help…

MrTeressaBond
August 20th, 2006, 02:20
i only have a pc not a mac, so sorry.

did anyone check out the links i showed? arent they cool?? especially the test one between twos tudents in their school.

anyone?

MrTeressaBond
August 21st, 2006, 13:45
anyone?

pleasee??

FrierTuck
August 22nd, 2006, 06:45
theres always the option of cloneing the person to appear and have both of him act at the same time, or travel in time or something, or get really artsy and monolouge and edit in diffrent angles lol

MrTeressaBond
August 22nd, 2006, 15:10
oh ok then.

now i just basically want to know how did they do that.

how can it be done?

FrierTuck
August 22nd, 2006, 16:01
well accordian Boy was right, green screen for professional jobs, but when i need to do something like this for filming i just use alot of cuts and hope they get the picture

MrTeressaBond
August 22nd, 2006, 17:24
oh ok...

is that wat they basically done in those clips ive shown?

and is there a tutorial on how to do this?

Accordion
August 22nd, 2006, 18:43
the clips most probably use green screen, or even separate shots "stitched together" but that is probably harder

sorry i cant help, im pretty good on final cut, but i know very little…the manual is a couple thousand pages…

FrierTuck
August 22nd, 2006, 20:03
you need to have a degree in video post production to be perfect in this sorta thing i think

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 12:57
or money, hardware, patience, and logic :p

MrTeressaBond
August 23rd, 2006, 13:42
'or even separate shots "stitched together" but that is probably harder'

i really dont mind, i am willing to go for it. but how do u do it?

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 17:38
well, use a film camera, and take out the film and cut and paste lol

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 18:41
dont laugh, thats how it used to be done!
(make sure you develop it first…ahhh)

i wish i could help

you WILL need a professional editing application at the very least, possibly even a whole editing suite, with after effects etc.

the clips youve shown are most probably by either rich kids or students with access to the hardware/software

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 18:48
damn rich kids, making us not rich kid's videos look crappy

MrTeressaBond
August 23rd, 2006, 19:05
i got Adobe Premiere and a sort of decent computer, but i can alsways do it on a much better PC who belongs to my friend who wont mind at all.

i dont think they wer done by rich kids, go on YouTube and type the keywords, and you'll find very exact examples and very doubtfully done by rich kids.

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 19:11
most likely students then..
hmm, never used premiere…give me a day and i might find out some more info…

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 19:12
yah, if they were rich kids, there parents would have hired real hollywood professionals to help them

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 19:27
hmm, im not that rich, but i do have 3 macs at my disposal with the latest final cut pro, and a dedicated VHS, DVD, monitor suite for testing…

dont hate me, its my dads fault, hes a community artist…

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 22:12
oh, i meant like so rich you have a funny accent that only rich people have

MrTeressaBond
August 23rd, 2006, 22:46
umm ok then.

from one of the comments left by the users, this person asked wat did they use.

one replied Afteraffects and Vegas Video.

dont know if that helps, and also now we know wat we are talking about in a way, what is this effect called then?

little green man
August 24th, 2006, 03:28
I am pretty clueless, but in movies they will usually avoid showing both characters at the same time. Closeups of one, and the other always jsut seems to have their back turned for the moment ....

FrierTuck
August 24th, 2006, 07:00
just some examples here, Star Trek Nemesis, Data was shown with his brother (same actor) many times, Austin Powers i think had some both face showing sceens for one of the three or four roles he played, also, look into Sam Raimis "Fake Shemp" concept

MrTeressaBond
August 24th, 2006, 15:52
i knwo those very well...

but i really want to know how to 'stitch up' the images together so it will look like if there was more of the same character in one shot.

anyone?

MrTeressaBond
August 26th, 2006, 03:38
pleaseee??

anyone?

i dont mean to be rude or soo wanting to know how it is done.

i would really appreciate if anyone can tell me or where to know how it is done.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 05:27
maybe you should find a forum with more of a focus on this, like uhh, theres one somewhere up here in my mind but its not comeing to me, but to humor you, i will now preform a google search, now

http://www.pghfilmmakers.org/bboards/showthread.php?t=156

MrTeressaBond
August 26th, 2006, 17:03
thanks soo much...

the boards are like totally dead in there.

anyone?

MrTeressaBond
August 28th, 2006, 00:35
have you found anything with your google search may i ask?

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 01:47
that link is what i googled up, do you want me to do another one

MrTeressaBond
August 29th, 2006, 04:18
i hope u dont mind though :D

that board was dead.

does anyone else know what to do or wat this effect is called?

MrTeressaBond
September 25th, 2006, 23:59
how was your google search?

its been awhile :D

ay i ask if now anyone might know how it is done or wat the effect is called then?