PDA

View Full Version : PSP Media Player???

mlcurly16
August 18th, 2006, 18:14
Not the same as the PMP thing.

I was wondering if anyone has made/is making a media player for PSP that can play different video formats. One kinda like Windows Media Player, that can play MPG, AVI, DIVX, MPEG, etc. and can have an interface with the web browser; ex. I want to watch a MPG movie directly using the web browser on my emulated 2.6 firmware, but it just saves to the COMMON directory, and I can't watch it. Anyone dev this yet?

NEVERMIND: Somewhat found a solution. Link here. (http://www.psp-hacks.com/file/369)

"It support the following extensions and formats:

1: avi, mov, mp4, ogm, mkv, nut, asf, wmv, mp3, m4a, wma, ogg, asf, wav.

2: MPEG1/2/4 video(divx, xvid), Windows media video, Ogg theora, Mpeg audio (MP2, MP3, AAC), AC3, OGG, Windows media audio"

mlcurly16
August 19th, 2006, 03:52
Can't edit post anymore:

That PSPlayerMT, I can't get it to work well; just keeps freezing up on 1.5.

Video_freak
August 19th, 2006, 04:06
Is that app in the link you provided any good? Just curious... :cool:

tallica
August 19th, 2006, 04:17
its not bad but they have to be a certain size to load.

Video_freak
August 19th, 2006, 04:18
That sux.... :(

jak66
August 19th, 2006, 10:28
it has to be the same size as psp screen (480x272) for it to load, else it will crash

mlcurly16
August 21st, 2006, 02:07
it has to be the same size as psp screen (480x272) for it to load, else it will crash

yes, I figured that out... not very nice program unfortunatley :( . I converted one video and it ran very slowly.

mlcurly16
August 21st, 2006, 02:14
Let me try to find an old Windows Media Player (or a copy) source code... maybe someone can port it.

yaustar
August 21st, 2006, 03:38
Its not the problem of the player, just the speed of the codecs. Decoding in software on the main CPU is the main bottleneck. You ideally need a hardware decoder or same way to off load the decoding off the CPU.

Wally
August 21st, 2006, 03:59
Yeah we need something like xbox media center.. Surely something could be done just like that!

yaustar
August 21st, 2006, 05:01
Except XBMC runs on something that has a PC architecture (where the codecs can run natively) and over twice the CPU horsepower.

under_0ath777
August 21st, 2006, 05:20
can't be more than 3 mbs and it crashes over time, sucks..

maybe we can make a prx to make it videos launch on browser :D

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 05:23
I agree something like xbox media center.

Wally
August 21st, 2006, 05:25
yaustar: I dont mean a port, a whole new thingy..

yaustar
August 21st, 2006, 18:09
It doesn't matter, the reasons are for why something like XBMC can be made for an Xbox but not for a PSP. It falls down to porting the codecs and NOT the player. All the codecs exist in x86 form which is perfect for the Xbox but you have to port all the codecs to get them to work on the PSP. At the moment all the decoding is done on the main CPU and AFAIK the PSP doesn't have access to a hardware decoder or the developers haven't figured out how to use it.

Wally
August 22nd, 2006, 01:19
Just a minute,

Apple PowerPC has access to Divx format, so why couldnt the codecs be used from that then?

There is always alternatives like:
Mplayer
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

VLC
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

The codecs shouldn't be that much of a drama, as powerPC and PocketPC (both mips processors) use them..
So to me there shouldnt be any problem

yaustar
August 22nd, 2006, 01:52
Both VLC and MPlayer use codec binaries (x86 again) to run media.

* now goes off and runs to find information on the PocketPC media players *

Edit: I assume that the media players for the PocketPCs are usually targeted to one media type (eg DivX) and the codecs/players are closed source. Beyond I just be speculating.

I also admit I could be completely wrong on this, a lot of this I am basing on the reasons why the GP2X's MPlayer is having trouble supporting more containers such as mkv and ogm to an extent. And also why the port of FFPlay/ffdshow is so slow.

Edit2: ooops.. didn't realise VLC had a Mac OSX port... looks like I could be wrong about this and it is just a matter of CPU speed :/

Spider_Loc
August 22nd, 2006, 05:10
his it the sum size of psp screen ????

Wally
August 23rd, 2006, 07:24
Yeah maybe :)

Someone should give it a shot :)

M!ckeY
August 23rd, 2006, 09:06
even if you do get a good media player, you still need to have the videos with a resolution that is equal to or less than that of the psp's:(

yaustar
August 23rd, 2006, 18:47
That's a point, there is no hardware scalar on the PSP is there?

Wally
August 24th, 2006, 00:13
well you do know how people shrink Jpegs using algoritms, dont see why people cant shrink movies using algorithms (So they fit the screen)

yaustar
August 24th, 2006, 02:08
They take too much out of the CPU to be done at 25fps per second. Not good if you are decoding at the same time.