PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus Unnoficial Tinnus Release (N64 Emu for PSP)

wraggster
August 18th, 2006, 20:20
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/mario64works.JPG

Tinnus (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32612&page=10) of Tapwave Zodiac Fame (Real Homebrewers will know of him) has posted a "build" of Daedalus that runs better than yesterdays unnofficial release, heres what he says:

That seems to me faster (and OMG, a lot less choppy) than that frameskip one.

Download and Give Feedback and Comparisons Via Comments

Uruz 6
August 18th, 2006, 20:23
I've got some time now, I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 20:26
Me too. :)
Where do you put the ROMs?

pokothehobo
August 18th, 2006, 20:34
i just used this to overwrite my the older version

...n00b question... how do i save? i know it says is has eeprom so how do i save my game?

Mr.Modem
August 18th, 2006, 20:34
You put them in the same location as usual. Zipped roms seems to be supported again :)

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 20:35
In the Roms folder you create. This is a great release.

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 20:35
You put them in the same location as usual. Zipped roms seems to be supported again :)
Usually there's ROM folder, here there's just an eboot. i'll put it ni the same directory as the eboot...

Edit: nvm, thanks Acidburn, I was having a blonde moment there... ;)

jimmi
August 18th, 2006, 20:36
woooooooooo guys post your reslts i want to know wether this is worth my DL limit...

Mr.Modem
August 18th, 2006, 20:37
Usually there's ROM folder, here there's just an eboot. i'll put it ni the same directory as the eboot...

Just overwrite the files of your old daedalus installation. Then you don't have to worry about where to put the roms.

Uruz 6
August 18th, 2006, 20:39
Tried it now with Mario 64:
While swimming in the water under the bridge at the very start of the game fps were between 11 and 8 (most of the time 8); with the unofficial release (nofps version) I got (with the same settings and in the same place) between 12/13 and 15 fps. Don't know how this fares with other games (can't test right now cause I don't have any stored in the memory/after 33 hours up I need to sleep :)) but I'm back with the "old" unofficial.

Alucard
August 18th, 2006, 20:40
Thanks tinnus,

Good seeing you active on the PSP side. You did a great job on the Zodiac side.

I wonder if Skeezik and Yoyo are interested in N64 emulation. :)

Mr.Modem
August 18th, 2006, 20:42
It doesn't run nearly as fast as the frameskip build but it obviously runs much smoother. It's hard to say if it's better than the old nonframeskip prebuild that was posted earlier, but it does support zip files again wich is pretty nice.

Tinnus
August 18th, 2006, 20:45
Hey I fixed zip support? Nice :P

Heh, I forgot I could post news and attachments.

Anyway, I have good news: from what I've seen of the code up to now, sound should be easy to implement using the Media Engine (no, I'll not do it :P).

felonyr301
August 18th, 2006, 20:46
i suggest to you guys not run zipped roms just a suggestion it starts up faster and if you low on memory than having it zipped will do you even worse because it just unzipps it to a temporary folder in your memory stick so just unzip it guys.

Mr.Modem
August 18th, 2006, 20:49
Anyway, I have good news: from what I've seen of the code up to now, sound should be easy to implement using the Media Engine (no, I'll not do it :P).

Great news! Can I ask you some questions. What's the difference between this build and the one that was posted earlier today? Are you planning to make other modifications of this emu (I understand you are not implementing sound support useing the media engine :P )?

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 20:51
I just tried it too. Amazing. Here's what I got for Mario 64 (using settings Tesselate Large Trinagles: yes and Texture Update Check Disabled):
Mario's Face (start screen) 7.x fps
Select file Menu: 30-35 fps
Peache's letter: 10-17 fps (most of the time it was over 13 fps)
Flying around the castle: 10-13 fps
Courtyard: 10-11 fps
Inside Castle: 12-18 fps (was over 13 fps most of the time)
Star Select Screen: 67 fps
In game level 1: 7-10 fps

The game is really playable now. Few graphical glitches! :)

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 20:53
Does this emu use the Media Engine? If it doesn't sound could be coming soon. I'm so excited about this emu right now! :) :) :)

Mr.Modem
August 18th, 2006, 20:55
Does this emu use the Media Engine? If it doesn't sound could be coming soon. I'm so excited about this emu right now! :) :) :)

No, I don't think it does (yet). I hope Strmnnrmn (did I spell that right?) will be implementing it in the future.

ACID
August 18th, 2006, 20:57
I see i didnt try the first R8 will give it a go. also to compare.

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 20:58
Great news Mr.Modem! And btw, you spelled StrmnNrmn wrong, there's only one "N" in the middle. You didn't capitalize the first "N" too. ;)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 18th, 2006, 21:08
Great work but can never be arsed with early versions of these emus way to choppy and cant be done with all the stuttering will wait while its ALOT futher on.Still shaping up nicely.

NJisMYhome
August 18th, 2006, 21:20
is it really possible to get n64 games running at full speed (without choppiness) and sound on a psp, to run just the same way it does on a real n64??????is it possible for snes as well??????

Airdevil
August 18th, 2006, 21:23
is it really possible to get n64 games running at full speed (without choppiness) and sound, to run just the same way it does on a real n64??????is it possible for snes as well??????

well this is the furthest any n64 emu on the psp has gotten as of today.

The snes is pretty much full speed using snes9xTYL 0.4

You will need 1.5 for the ME version though

Zion
August 18th, 2006, 21:37
Great work :D

Malksta
August 18th, 2006, 21:37
I'll just wait for the original R8 Release :)

sirhax0r
August 18th, 2006, 22:15
...Anyway, I have good news: from what I've seen of the code up to now, sound should be easy to implement using the Media Engine (no, I'll not do it :P).

Does this mean that in the next few realeases, we could have minimal support for sound?:eek: Ooh.
And does "eeprom saving" mean saving? I havent gotten any stars yet on SM64, so it hasnt asked me to save yet...

SSaxdude
August 18th, 2006, 22:18
I hope daily releases of Daedalus are perminant. Just kidding, but keep up the great work everyone.

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 22:33
I'll just wait for the original R8 Release :)
You mean official. ;)

pkmaximum
August 18th, 2006, 22:35
I hope to see more from this emulator in the future. And tinnus I have a question from what you said on the media engine for sound. What kind of hope do you have for sound because it will not be like VBA were the sound was choppy as hell I hope. And that was using hte PSP media engine too. But from a coders perspective do you think the sound quality will end up begin at a decent rate, were we are just better off disabling it XD.

It would be cool if NJ worked on N64 emulation as well ^_^

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 22:47
pkmaximum, I too hope we get full speed sound (i can hope, right?)
And this is your avatar, very funny:
[HERE] (http://discharges.org/h/0109/)

S34MU5
August 18th, 2006, 22:48
its amzn

Pumped'Up
August 18th, 2006, 22:52
Thanks Tinnus !

Jeez, the day when we see 90-100% speed can't come soon enough....

jimmi
August 18th, 2006, 23:05
pkmaximum, I too hope we get full speed sound (i can hope, right?)
And this is your avatar, very funny:
[HERE] (http://discharges.org/h/0109/)

LOL! soz dats good tho!:D

sirhax0r
August 18th, 2006, 23:26
Wait a sec... how do you change options??? Nothing shows on my 1.5 psp?!

gamesquest1
August 18th, 2006, 23:26
hope eigther hope strmnNrmn dosnt take too bad a view on all these pre release versions everybody is spitty out and keeps up the great work as that would piss me off a bit if people just do exactly what i said i was doin then release it when he has worked so hard on this emu.....or we get plenty of people willing to help and input there own knowlage rather than just do what he says he is doing at the weekend to help in the development of this truely amazing piece of psp homebrew :P

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 23:31
Wait a sec... how do you change options??? Nothing shows on my 1.5 psp?!
Start up Daedalus and choose settings. Also, choose a ROM and you get more settings...

JD/
August 18th, 2006, 23:37
hope eigther hope strmnNrmn dosnt take too bad a view on all these pre release versions everybody is spitty out and keeps up the great work as that would piss me off a bit if people just do exactly what i said i was doin then release it when he has worked so hard on this emu.....or we get plenty of people willing to help and input there own knowlage rather than just do what he says he is doing at the weekend to help in the development of this truely amazing piece of psp homebrew :P
I know what you mean i think there have been enough pre releases and StrmnNrmn has worked so hard on this emu for all of the homebrew community at least let him finish of what he says hes gnna do :p.

Sterist
August 18th, 2006, 23:38
well this is the furthest any n64 emu on the psp has gotten as of today.

The snes is pretty much full speed using snes9xTYL 0.4

You will need 1.5 for the ME version though

there are tons of full speed sound+fps snes emu's.

i'd like to mention uo32snes9x or something like that as a specific, because it is my personal favorite. the emu's behavior is always "aware" (doesnt miss key presses and / or lag up like TYL), and it's been out since like october 05. uo32 was good all around, ever rom was crisp, sound never glitched, visual never glitched in even the slightest way, gives more options for key mapping, and there was no pausing what-so-ever switching between emu menu and in-game.

idk why anyone would say such a thing as possible snes for psp..... thats like me, now, in 2006, asking if it will ever be possible to reach space. (it's already been done, many many times lol dum qstn)

sirhax0r
August 18th, 2006, 23:40
Start up Daedalus and choose settings. Also, choose a ROM and you get more settings...
Huh? Let em give you an example:
XMB > Game > Memory Stick > Daedelus > shows gameboot.
After that the memory stick flashes, and the screen quickly writes some text, then goes BLANK.
I press start, Memory stick flashes, but the screen is still BLANK.
Start again, mem sitck flash, some text quickly fills the screen, and it goes to Super Mario 64, which is the only rom I have on my mem stick.
Thats it. :eek:
And, is there an option for SRAM, or eeprom, or whatever saving in the options? I just beat a few stars, but now theyve gone...:(

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 23:46
Try putting more ROMs on it then...

vettacossx
August 18th, 2006, 23:52
ok so is this a better emu? ether way i gotts say this THE SCENE EXPANDS EVERYDAY!

sirhax0r
August 18th, 2006, 23:52
Try putting more ROMs on it then...
Heh...
The only roms i've got are SM64 and SSB.
Lucky they came in zip files with every reigion, so...

Video_freak
August 18th, 2006, 23:53
Ok, put them both on your mem stick then. daedalus probably start up automatically because you only have one ROM.

sirhax0r
August 19th, 2006, 00:01
It didnt work!!!!
The files are (In windows order):
G:\N64\
Nintendo All-Star! Dairantou Smash Brothers (J) [b3]
Super Mario 64 - Shindou Edition (J) [!]
Super Mario 64 (E) (M3) [!]
Super Mario 64 (U) [!]
Super Smash Bros. (U) [!]

Why...? (Not a file)

When it starts to blank, doing the same thing as before opens up SM64:confused:

roy5
August 19th, 2006, 00:24
does it work on 2.7+

roy5
August 19th, 2006, 00:25
i dont think so but i was just wondering

Video_freak
August 19th, 2006, 00:29
i dont think so but i was just wondering
No, no homebrew does except for flash applications:
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/psp-flash-homebrew.shtml

mlcurly16
August 19th, 2006, 02:30
The emulation community and StrmnNrmm(?) has made so much progress with these over the past months, actually, even days :). Keep up the good work!!

Video_freak
August 19th, 2006, 02:33
It didnt work!!!!
Super Mario 64 (U) [!]

Why...? (Not a file)

Your supposed to put Daedalus and Daedalus% in GAME. Inside Daedalus, make a folder called ROMS. Put roms in there.

KingPepper
August 19th, 2006, 02:57
It didnt work!!!!
Super Mario 64 (U) [!]

Why...? (Not a file)

Make sure your Roms end with the Extension .v64
as the Emulator finds the Roms with that Ending!!!!

Broadus
August 19th, 2006, 03:30
WOW!
When I enabled both the Expansion Pack and Dynamic Recompilation, Super Mario 64 ran at an average of 15 FPS! VERY nice! And I'm using eLoader, too.
I'm sure only one of those settings I enabled made a difference (probably Dynamic Recompilation), but the point is, without one of those (or both?) on, the game would run at an average of 8 FPS, which is painfully slow.
Point is... No sound, but still, really nice.

I have ROMs that say z64 and they still run.

gangsta_psp
August 19th, 2006, 03:37
Keep up the good work. :D

flippkidd69
August 19th, 2006, 04:38
this is definatley slower than the pre r8 release

Video_freak
August 19th, 2006, 04:45
this is definatley slower than the pre r8 release
Just wait for the official from StrmnNrmn then. ;)

watupgroupie
August 19th, 2006, 04:58
Huh? Let em give you an example:
XMB > Game > Memory Stick > Daedelus > shows gameboot.
After that the memory stick flashes, and the screen quickly writes some text, then goes BLANK.
I press start, Memory stick flashes, but the screen is still BLANK.
Start again, mem sitck flash, some text quickly fills the screen, and it goes to Super Mario 64, which is the only rom I have on my mem stick.
Thats it. :eek:
And, is there an option for SRAM, or eeprom, or whatever saving in the options? I just beat a few stars, but now theyve gone...:(
your problem is that you don't have the old files from R7 download it and put all the files from it except the eboot.php. (of course). you should get the main menu then:p. i had the same problem at first too hopefully this helps.

gslop
August 19th, 2006, 05:00
Just wait for the official from StrmnNrmn then. ;)

thats what im doing

eazy-e
August 19th, 2006, 05:38
iam about to try this

alleyal202
August 19th, 2006, 05:55
has anyone got goldeneye to work and if did what FR

pkmaximum
August 19th, 2006, 06:12
I was extremeley surprised on how fast Quest 64 runs, its basically full speed I really can't wait until we see sound in this emulator. Hopefully Strmmmn will get the speed up more to a respectable speed and then he will tell us if sound implemtation will be possible and how good the quality of it will be ^_^

ACID
August 19th, 2006, 06:14
Is Quest really full speed.

salomon st
August 19th, 2006, 07:04
has n e one gotten a savegame to work in oot?

Kvonx
August 19th, 2006, 08:59
dis iz great work....i like it!!!!

mat_dizzy
August 19th, 2006, 09:15
i managed to get 4 stars!

but then i fell asleep with my psp on now the battery is drained :( *gets charger"

bit of a n00bish question but when i save on mario 64 via the SAVE AND CONTINUE, when i go to boot up mario 64 again its not there, any ideas?

thanks for a great release :D

Kvonx
August 19th, 2006, 09:21
proformance is better with irshell at clock 333

Kvonx
August 19th, 2006, 09:25
bit of a n00bish question but when i save on mario 64 via the SAVE AND CONTINUE, when i go to boot up mario 64 again its not there, any ideas?
my friend i dont kno save game was working in r6

D0N
August 19th, 2006, 10:14
Excellent work Tinnus! Keep it up!

soup_nazi
August 19th, 2006, 11:59
To get saves to work you must press select after you pressed save in the game. Daedalus only writes to the sram file when in 'debugging' mode due to performance issues (read to original read me from R8).

BTW, I've managed to get 11 stars already, this thing is very playable. Although I am sticking with the framskip version from before as I think it's faster.;)

sirhax0r
August 19th, 2006, 12:30
I just woke up...
Now that i've read peoples posts, I think I know what I have to do... I'll try it.

sirhax0r
August 19th, 2006, 12:33
It worked! I got a menu! It says it wont let me save though...?
edit: I got it to save. I just changed a setting in the config file

JD/
August 19th, 2006, 16:15
Heres a zelda save I got it from somone else on these forums i forgot who lol :p but it lets you skip the begining and get straight into game all you have to do extract the file into the save game folder in the the daedalus emulator.

jimmi
August 19th, 2006, 16:30
wow cheers JD 4 the saves JD , gd release this.

siulmagic
August 19th, 2006, 17:28
the old unofficial release is better than this one but if dont want like the chopyness of 1 frame skip witch is like unotisable then do use this version

mastersho
August 19th, 2006, 18:09
From the stuff i've read(can't try it cuz i forgot to grab my usb cord) it sounds nice. I'll try it later on in the month......I hope!

mat_dizzy
August 19th, 2006, 18:18
ive got 8 stars :p

SpacemanSpiff
August 19th, 2006, 19:05
I've beaten the game on my PSP already... using the 16 star glitches :p

mcvader
August 19th, 2006, 20:11
I havent tried this version but the unofficial frameskip version play's forsaken 64 at 35-40 fps ingame, Rampage world tour runs at 40fps+ ingame and command and conquer is playable but with no textures at about 8fps. I just discovered IRshell and now it's so much easier to test n64 games with the USB connect MemorySTick thing(i don't have Wi-Fi)

Tinnus
August 20th, 2006, 03:14
Just for those people that say I "read the blog's post, then released something with the change the author mentioned and then got all the fame", actually I *did* look for that particular possibility of optimization some days before the post. But at that moment it didn't seem any faster, I think I forgot to update a file or something :P

Not that I need anyone of you to believe that, you might not believe it (I wouldn't). Just to keep it clear that I'm not a "bad guy", at least for those that do trust me.

PS: I got 15 stars alerady :P

wolfpack
August 22nd, 2006, 05:24
i hope zelda will run around 20 - 30 fps with sound soon cuz that would make my day. but that prolly wont happen till a much much later release

SpacemanSpiff
August 22nd, 2006, 07:13
The N64 Zeldas only ran at 20 fps, so there's no need to emulate them any faster.

dragoncurse10
September 9th, 2006, 13:10
noob question but do the zelda game normaly take a while to load cuz i sit there for 5 mins then it pop this thing up saying unknown load and pops the n64 sign up then it starts to load again

Gray Fox
September 9th, 2006, 22:13
Whats new in this? Is daedulus R8 better or worse than this? Does it got sound? The main post doesnt say shit what bout what have been done in it???

jak66
September 9th, 2006, 22:20
wow ressurection old topic
basicly this added a few changes before strmnnrmn released r8
r8 is better
no daedalus has sound yet
best daedalus out is wally's mod of it (its r8 but with some extra graphics that arnt usually there in some games, but no sound, it probably wont be added till much later)

dice2r
September 23rd, 2006, 06:53
well i downloaded this emulator eveything works but when im playing any game theres no sound and the game is a little laggy

dice2r
September 23rd, 2006, 07:06
well i downloaded this emulator eveything works but when im playing any game theres no sound and the game is a little laggy

kodan50
September 24th, 2006, 06:15
Definately tried this out. I got mario 64 to run just fine with only a little visual anomalies (as expected) and is impressive release. Althou I didn't manage to get 15 FPS thou, unless you count the game menu, then I got like 30.

Regardless this is definately a good release, I just hope to see it run at "full speed" soon, for mario at least... *Thinks of playing Ocarina of Time on PSP* ..

JD/
September 24th, 2006, 13:23
you should get wallys version it has same speed, smoothness and graphical error fixes for different games

crc88zelda
September 28th, 2006, 20:04
Ive made a 100% complete zelda 64 save for psp
enjoy! name on file is Link
:D
Does anyone have 100% save for Mario 64 for psp?
:confused:

CaptainMorgan4
September 28th, 2006, 20:39
Here's the 100% mario one!

http://rapidshare.de/files/34789518/Super_Mario_64.sav.html

*I'm new to just DCEMU so I don't know how to directly attach files, I looked but didn't see anything for attaching random files*

burrito
September 28th, 2006, 22:02
Why did you bump this old thread? o_0

crc88zelda
September 30th, 2006, 06:37
I did not know it was old

P.S. thx for 100% mario 64 save

chelsea180
October 4th, 2006, 16:13
hi there downloaded this but i dont know were to get the roms from and some of them i have like mario 64 load so slow please help

chelsea180
October 4th, 2006, 16:14
hi there i downloaded this were do u get the roms from and some of them i have load so slow please help

quzar
October 4th, 2006, 16:32
Asking for roms is against the forum rules, and double-posting is a warnable offense.

SuckerPunch
October 5th, 2006, 03:59
I'm blown away by what you're doing. Thank you so much. I didn't think n64 emulation on the psp would ever be possible. Is there anyway to voluntarily donate money to your project via paypal to help compensate you for all the time you've obviously dedicated to this? I checked all over your blog and didn't see any links through which to give a paypal donation or anything.

nicknamekb
December 9th, 2006, 00:57
but does orcana of time work

pkmaximum
December 9th, 2006, 03:42
Wow old thread man, let it die like it should =P. There are newer versions than this. Try Wally's Spiff up release V1.3

And yes Ocarnina of time does work. But I really hope your not looking for great gameplay and speed, because this emulator is slow as a dirt. And has no sound.

gewmo
August 3rd, 2007, 12:22
Where do I put the file?
And, do it work?

Chameleon
August 3rd, 2007, 12:40
what firmware do you have?

DPyro
August 3rd, 2007, 15:38
Don't bump old posts