PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid maps from Google

kulfsson
August 19th, 2006, 15:02
Hi there,

I live in Iceland and unfortunately there is no map coverage in google for my country but there is sattelite data available in decent quality for most of the country. I have tried to grab this with the getmap script but it will only get the map data. How can I set it up to grab the sattelited or Hybrid data ?

deniska
August 19th, 2006, 17:51
Read the README file...
You have to install Image Magic and netpbm (last one is part of cygwin package) and then run gethybrid.sh script

kulfsson
August 20th, 2006, 23:19
Hi, I have now read the README and have tried to get the hybrid map for the following region in zoom level 2:
LAT_64.13925712_LON_-21.94252967

Unfortunately this does not seem to work, and the command line comes up with empty pictures, although on the mapki link you provide I can zoom in to level 2 and see the sattelite images. I can however get these coordinates in zoom level 9. Also these coordinates work in map mode only.
Could anyone suggest a working solution ?

I have successfully gotten maps from other coordinates as a trial so I know that I am doing this right.

Also one thing. The coordinates that are put as arguments, do they designate the center of the map that you are trying to get ?

UPDATE: After thinking about this problem I think it has to do with there not being any map properties for this high zoom level. Would it be possible to modify the script to only download sattelite images and not hybrid ?

tallica
August 20th, 2006, 23:32
When you get this to work can you upload it because im also from ireland.

deniska
August 21st, 2006, 04:56
I attachded the script to get satelite imagery only..
see if it works for you...

kulfsson
August 21st, 2006, 11:40
Thank you very much ! It works perfectly. I see very good potential in this excellent program.

kulfsson
August 21st, 2006, 15:05
Well I have now been trying to get some maps from google but I find it hard to judge what coordinates to enter for the next 16x16 to start to give some overlap. I was wondering if there was a way to just enter f.x. the top left corner and the bottom right for maybe the whole country/region and have the script cutting down the images to the required 16x16 or other dimensions ?

This way I could simply select the whole country at one zoom level and the script could take care of the rest ?

Please understand that I consider this a very good piece of software and I would be willing to donate via PayPal for continued support and enhancements.

fokia
August 21st, 2006, 17:29
Is JRE also needed to be installed (is not part of cygwin installer options) to make the gethybrid script to work?

I've already managed to install ImageMagic (couldn't from source, get some stupid errors...) now when I run gethybrid I can get the roads but in a black background - is it because of JRE missing?

deniska
August 21st, 2006, 18:31
Is JRE also needed to be installed (is not part of cygwin installer options) to make the gethybrid script to work?

I've already managed to install ImageMagic (couldn't from source, get some stupid errors...) now when I run gethybrid I can get the roads but in a black background - is it because of JRE missing?
probably...
either java or imagemagic...