PDA

View Full Version : iR Shell (A Multi-tasking PSP Shell)

wraggster
August 20th, 2006, 13:19
AhMan (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,2999.new.html) has released a new version of his excellent Shell for the PSP and an entry in the Neoflash Coding Contest:

Here is my entry with iR Shell 2.0.

iR Shell is a multi-tasking shell for the PSP which allows you to launch applications (UMD games or homebrews) via a menu driven interface. In addition to the standard shell functionalities, it includes a plethora of advance features. Most features can be called upon either via the icon based menu system or a shortcut combo key for fast access.

Feature Highlights:
- A true multi-tasking shell which allows you to multi-task between a UMD game/homebrew and any of the iR Shell built-in functions.
- Allow listening to any of your favorite mp3s while playing UMD games or homebrews.
- A built-in Universal iR Remote supporting over 2000 devices.
- With the built-in file browser, you can browse files on your Memory Stick, UMD Disc, your PC hard disks or DVDROM drives via USB or WiFi. You can even open files directly from these devices by a single click, such as viewing PMP Movies, Atrac3s, PMF movies, Text files, PDF files, Bitmap Photos, Jpegs, PNG photos, PBP PSP apps, ZIP & RAR archives.
- You can choose to install your PSP homebrew applications & files on your PC harddisk and access them via USB or WiFi on your PSP. This will eventually give your PSP unlimited storage access. With Infrastructure WiFi, you can access these homebrew apps or files on your home PC via WiFi hotspots through Internet.
- Allow transfer of files between 2 PSPs via adhoc WiFi.
- Advanced file management functions which can be performed on a complete directory tree.
- Take snapshots of any homebrews, UMD games, MP4 movies or UMD Movies. For MP4 movies or UMD Movies snapshot, you can use the 'Launch XMB' feature.
- Alarm clock to remind you important events.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

The EX
August 20th, 2006, 13:25
Yaaaaay I Love Ahman

mameuser
August 20th, 2006, 13:26
WOO, Great Software

ayhoung
August 20th, 2006, 13:27
Yay! looks like a new gui!!

kimbonious
August 20th, 2006, 13:44
so is it just a new gui or does it have actual new features?

mastersho
August 20th, 2006, 14:33
so is this like the ir shell v1.6 update or is it a new ir shell.Either way i'm using it. thanks for the nice app!

ayhoung
August 20th, 2006, 14:38
hmm, after reading the ad hoc pc link guide, still having trouble, it is true that u dont need an access pt for ad hoc pc transfer rite?

djakku
August 20th, 2006, 14:45
the mainmenu interface is new but when you select the first row of icon, it's "switch" to the old interface, pressing select send you back to the main menu.
Also this one have devhook support installed. So far I haven't test everything but Ahman Is a PSP GOD :)

Airdevil
August 20th, 2006, 14:50
Is there a way to get back to the icon view... without rebooting?:confused:

i find the icon view a lot easier to use than remembering the shortcuts.

EDIT: if i left it another minute b4 i posted i would of noticed u press select.

Mew
August 20th, 2006, 14:59
Aaaah! Excelent GUI! :)

cafc_fuller
August 20th, 2006, 15:19
i dont get how to install this!!! someone help please :D thanks

Scizzor23
August 20th, 2006, 15:38
Great programme!!!

Kvonx
August 20th, 2006, 17:32
i luv ir-shell this is marvelous thank u.......thank u alot!!!! :)

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 17:56
Yes! I also love iR Shell. Thank you so much Ahman!
I'm so happy today between this and the new GBA Emu! :)

Kvonx
August 20th, 2006, 17:59
dis looks alot smoother......i like

jose1229
August 20th, 2006, 18:01
Good work this is a must have for any psp owner out there.

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 18:02
Good work this is a must have for any psp owner out there.
Yes. This can pretty much replace the OS Sony gave us.... :D

Uruz 6
August 20th, 2006, 18:30
What are the differences between the 1.6 and this version of Ir Shell? if there's nothing particularly interesting I'll stick to my 1.6 :)

motz
August 20th, 2006, 18:39
Great release AhMan! ;)

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 18:49
What are the differences between the 1.6 and this version of Ir Shell? if there's nothing particularly interesting I'll stick to my 1.6 :)
This one has that select map, which is awesome. No more hot keys. Just press select when your in iR Shell and it pops up. This version is also more stable. :)

apfel
August 20th, 2006, 19:26
Thanks, very useful homebrew.

Uruz 6
August 20th, 2006, 19:35
This one has that select map, which is awesome. No more hot keys. Just press select when your in iR Shell and it pops up. This version is also more stable. :)

I see, thanks for the reply, anyway I'll stick to my 1.6; you see I like the hot keys set-up and I've memorized all the controls :) besides, as for what concerns stability, it never gave any trouble. I know however that many don't want to spend time remembering the hot keys and avoided using Ir shell so I think this is a good release since now many will try it.

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 19:36
The hot keys are still in 2.0. There isn't anything taken away. I don't see why you shouldn't put it on your memory stick.

V3N0M
August 20th, 2006, 19:41
Amazing releases today.

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 19:42
Amazing releases today.
Yeah I was so happy when I woke up and saw all of this! :D

Habs69M
August 20th, 2006, 19:51
wifi worked ok with 1.6 now all i get is .. initiating wifi pls wait...

nothing else ,i tried a couple of things with no succes

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 19:56
I've had that problem too Habs69M.... :(

fucht017
August 20th, 2006, 20:04
Guys..I still have problems..I want to use my 120 gb hard disk on my pc via the USB method,but i still got stuck...i feel stupid..Dombo needs help:confused:

zx-81
August 20th, 2006, 20:27
Excellent with this new GUI ! Thanks !

eazy-e
August 20th, 2006, 20:33
dang awesome

woodsxdragon
August 20th, 2006, 20:33
so...i play my music...but it seems like its going super fast. Underoath sound like a duck and maryln manson sound like someone who used to much helium...does any one know how to fix this?

Raekwik11
August 20th, 2006, 20:40
I'm always looking forward to these releases. Thanks.

Sterist
August 20th, 2006, 21:11
anyone notice that nethost isnt working

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 21:56
anyone notice that nethost isnt working
Yes. Maybe we'll get a patch... :confused:

drew4237
August 20th, 2006, 23:20
hopefully we get a patch. i wonder what he changed to make it not work. but im sure he will fix it

yinzheng
August 20th, 2006, 23:45
I have been waiting for this too long oh finally

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 23:46
Well it's finally here yinzheng, and congrats on your first post. ;)

tophead420
August 21st, 2006, 00:36
hmm this looks pretty good im downloading now maybe it wont be so complicated as 1.6 is with all the differt button combos i hate having to refer to thr button menu just to use somthing everytime lol

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 00:42
tophead, this one has a select screen with what was all the old hotkeys. Now all you do is click on a button! :)

urherenow
August 21st, 2006, 02:34
I've always loved IR shell. One of the best, most usefull apps on the PSP! If there were 1 feature I would like included, it's IRda capture, hands down. Like... I want to be able to make my own remote control files (I wan't to capture working pronto hex codes for a Sylvania TV/DVD/VCR combo because nothing on the net works!!)

Briggzy11
August 21st, 2006, 02:54
Its amazing, I wonder if Ahman will make a version that will load straight from Devhook just like the NesterJ???

pkmaximum
August 21st, 2006, 02:54
Man still disapointed on no 1.0 eboot support. This almost makes this useless for me sadly -_- .

But don't get me wrong people I think this release is awsome, as I love the new GUI.

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 02:57
Man still disapointed on no 1.0 eboot support. This almost makes this useless for me sadly -_- .

But don't get me wrong people I think this release is awsome, as I love the new GUI.
Couldn't you convert it to 1.0 eboot using PSPBrew?

Mr. Shizzy
August 21st, 2006, 04:31
So the wifi transfer don't work with this release? Maybe I should wait for the next release. Love the looks of the new GUI. I'll keep an eye out for future updates.

lordhelmchen00
August 21st, 2006, 08:27
I got WIFI Ad-Hoc to work! You need to download the newest NetHost FS (Version 1.3) from the author's site.

http://www.irshell.com/download/nethostfs_PC_Win_1.3.zip

Don's forget to allow access of nethostfs again in the firewall settings.

Just follow the guide with IR Shell for the rest.

Gizmo356
August 21st, 2006, 08:46
if i only had a 1.5

StealthCP
August 21st, 2006, 11:19
God, you are king :D

Stealth Kill
August 21st, 2006, 14:38
Next and Prev song not working too.

how can i listen to my music and play 2.00+ UMD/i$os?

when i start the devhook mode my music turns off.

AhMan
August 21st, 2006, 15:36
For those who are having problem with nethostfs service. You need to use the new nethostfs v1.3. The old nethostfs v1.2 only works with old iR Shell v1.6. You can get it from my site www.irshell.com.

Stealth Kill, the Next & Prev buttons work fine for me under fw 1.5. This version of iR Shell supports launching of Devhook. There is an undocumented feature to make iR Shell running with 2.x UMD Game with Devhook. It's a bit complicated to make it work. If you're interested, you can check out my beta testing forum and look for the post "iR Shell 1.62a Alpha Release with Devhook support". Basically, you need to modify the pspbtcnf_game.txt and add the entries for iR Shell & mp3 player.

For those who are wondering the difference between iR Shell 1.6 & 2.0 releases. Here are the changes:

1. Introduce a new icon based menu system. Special thanks to Terdinglage for designing the graphical icons for the menu system.
2. The nethostfs has been enhanced to support domain name in addition to IP address which means you can now access your home PC with a domain name, such as myhomenet.com via WiFi hotspots. In order to avoid unauthorized access to your PCs, a challenge/response protection has been added for nethost access. You can optionally assign a password/key to your nethost server for a secure access.
3. Support launching of devhook directly from iR Shell.
4. Added Adhoc WiFi support for nethostfs access. This will be useful when you don't have an access point, or want to connect your PSP to a notebook computer at work. To use Adhoc WiFi support, refer to the user guide for details.
5. Added support to allow Infrastructure WiFi homebrew applications to connect to a PC via adhoc without having an access point. To enable this support, turn on the option "Allow Adhoc PC Connection for Homebrew" under iR Configurator. Pls turn off this option to use normal adhoc gaming features.

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 17:39
Thanks for the info AhMan! ;)

Unlimitedv2
August 21st, 2006, 17:58
Why no 1.0 eboot support?

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 17:59
Why no 1.0 eboot support?
You can convert 1.5 eboots to 1.0 using PSPBrew. Google it. I'm not 100% sure iR shell will work on 1.0 though, even after you convert it...

Shuichi4321
August 21st, 2006, 19:13
ummmm........how do you get the remote thing to work I am baffled and I can not find this archive he spoke of in his guide.......................so anyone know how to use the remote feature or knwo what you need?

Unlimitedv2
August 21st, 2006, 19:46
You can convert 1.5 eboots to 1.0 using PSPBrew. Google it. I'm not 100% sure iR shell will work on 1.0 though, even after you convert it...

I know how to do it, 1.0 eboots are better and they should be supported. IMHO

blabla
August 21st, 2006, 19:59
hmm what i'm i doing rong ervery time i start music, it plays the song but does not go to the next when done.?

alsow the buttens in the main menu dont work ?

did i miss a option ?

great app anyway : )

Anton123
August 22nd, 2006, 11:51
how come when i play mp3 files in irshell it goes super fast?

AhMan
August 22nd, 2006, 15:10
@Anton123, iR Shell uses libmad library for mp3 playback and this library supports the following sampling rate:
32kHz, 44.1kHz & 48KHz.
You'll need to re-encode your mp3 if it's not in one of those sampling frequency already.

@blabla, if you want to play multiple songs, you'll need to select them with 'O' button first, then 'X' to play.

@Unlimitedv2, iR Shell currently doesn't support 1.0 Eboot format.

Guys & gals, if you enjoy using iR Shell, pls consider voting for the win in Neoflash Coding Compo. I've some tough competition there. Here is link, thanks!

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3049.0.html

Russoxley187
August 22nd, 2006, 16:06
I love the app.just not the MP3 features...
on the sony menu all you have to click is right and left...
perfect for using it in your car...
nothing to look at , just find the right or left button

pepegomez
August 22nd, 2006, 22:49
um k go it to work. gj anyways

NoQuarter
August 22nd, 2006, 22:55
Thanx for the great release AhMan, I use your program everyday.I would really like to see support for launching 1.0 eboots as well.I think a lot of people switched over to them with the release of custom firmware.

Thank you for all your hard work:)

jorges
August 24th, 2006, 02:04
wifi worked ok with 1.6 now all i get is .. initiating wifi pls wait...

nothing else ,i tried a couple of things with no succes

can u tell me how to install psp shell thing plzzzzzzzzzzz:) :) :) :) :)

jorges
August 24th, 2006, 02:06
hellllllllllllp

mr_nick666
August 24th, 2006, 08:57
can u tell me how to install psp shell thing plzzzzzzzzzzz:) :) :) :) :)

Put the IRSHELL folder (the first one you see when you open the .rar) in the root of the memory stick then place the IRSHELL and IRSHELL% in the game folder :D You should be good to go then! ;)

Wicked application - I dont know why I havent been using it before! :rolleyes:

opiate81
August 24th, 2006, 10:23
I love this app
I only got into the psp scene a month ago
this and devhook have really excited me
and got me looking deeper into this for me once boring mini ps2 into an addictive homebrew powerhouse

I have one question thats been nagging me though
can I combine my this with my homebrew and multimedia juggernaut (my xbox with a 500gb hdd filled with all my mp3`s, movies, roms etc)

I have managed to get nethosts working through Linux on my xbox and can stream all my mp3`s and emulators (by adding the psp ones to the xbox emulator folders) wirelessly but I get alot of lag with everything as with my pc unfortunately (am hoping its just my router which Im upgrading soon)

back to the question has anyone tried something similar because I cant get the usbhost to run in Linux on the xbox :(

AhMan
August 24th, 2006, 16:56
opiate81, make sure the WLAN Power Save mode is off. It will lag if the Power Save mode is on.

BTW, I've added eboot 1.0 support & __SCE__ naming to iR Shell and it's under beta testing now. It will be released in the next public version.

If you enjoy using iR Shell, pls take a minute to vote iR Shell in Neoflash Coding Competition. You'll need to register first before you can vote. Thanks!

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3049.0.html

Apoklepz
August 24th, 2006, 17:37
Ahman,

I just wanna say this was always my favorite homebrew application for PSP, until I partially Bricked mine. I'm glad to see you're still pushing it further than all our possibly imagined expectations on it. Oh, how I miss playing my emulators with my own music, ripping sprites with the snapshot feature and viewing all my pmp format videos with this....But hey, awesome work as always!

Listen, I don't want to take anymore of your time, but is it possible you could consider running this application from any 1.50 UMD game at any given moment? It would really make me a very happy guy again, and I would sincerely be willing to donate for the cause... Please visit the thread on my signature if you have any ideas, and please...if you want, pass the voice on to fellow devs who you know could help me out in any way.

I'm a second away from voting for you.

Again, Thanks Ahman.

QueadlunnRau
August 24th, 2006, 21:26
WOW!!!

Mang I have heard great things about irshell, but never really tried it since I rarely play with sound on, took me a while to figure how to use this but now I am really starting to love it.

I love that I can control Media Center and my Xbox 360 with my psp now!!! nice!!

jaws365
August 29th, 2006, 13:49
Used nethostfs ver. 1.3 for PC and it worked !(found the file earlier in this thread). Waiting for nethostfs for MAC to be updated also.

Streaming media through wlan seems still not stable even though wlan powersave is turned off. Anyone had any luck with this?

EDIT: setting nethostfs priority to realtime + shutting down alot of progs helped pretty much, but still cannot enjoy music or movie for very long.

Mourningstar
September 2nd, 2006, 20:08
What exactly is the point of this?

A lot of my Apps arent even showing up in it....

dark_man_x_008
September 5th, 2006, 14:09
i got a quick question about the new irShell..im havin problems loading emulators...like if i wanna run gpSP by just sliding the analog to the right to make it auto load it doesnt want to load for me even tho i put the eboot into the right homebrew folder in irShell but it wont load...any help would be great