PDA

View Full Version : MMSPlus - New Master System and Game Gear Emulator for the PSP

wraggster
August 20th, 2006, 22:55
What a day, ive been in the emulation and homebrew scenes for over 10 years and this is one of those great days, Brunni has released an excellent entry into the Neoflash Coding Competition, heres the full release details:

Hello!!!

I present you my application for the PSP, it's a Master System and Game Gear emulator. It's a port from the excellent SMSPlus with improved compatibilty and good speed. All my games now run without problem! Most SMS games run perfectly at 166 MHz and Game Gear at 133 MHz. Also, there is no more sound glitches ^^
It can also play GYM music files. Files are placed in a ZIP file, used as a playlist. 6 sample GYMs are included, simply load music.zip in the emulator directory.

Nice interface, skinnable and with a lot of options.
Save state images are generated in real time rather than being stored in the save file itself. Note that sonic blast gradients are rendered correctly.
You can redefine all keys, including shortcuts (like state change/save/load, turbo mode, pause, reset), and there is an auto-repeat feature. You can also set the in-game screen as a background, useful to continue at the heart of action.
Nice icons by Phoebius, backgrounds by Japi.
MMSPlus features a rich interface with simple effects and good useability. And it's fully skinnable.

Note: I'm sorry, I must post it, I implemented GYM support during these last days and I had no time to extensively test it, so it might be buggy. Anyway, please let me know any problem you had with it

Download and Give Feedback and Compatibility Via Comments

SSaxdude
August 20th, 2006, 23:07
Full speed with underclocking the PSP, sounds pretty fast.

Video_freak
August 20th, 2006, 23:08
Are there any good games for those two consoles?

Briggzy11
August 20th, 2006, 23:18
Another Master System emulator??? And people moan there are too many GBC emulators haha, nah I suppose this is one of the better Master System Emulators but is this really too much now?

Wally
August 21st, 2006, 00:06
briggzy11: We can never have enough master system emulators. Although they come out too late!!! (Damn its almost been a year since yoshihiro last updated his)

Bruinii: Well done with the entry!

Video Freak:
As im a collector of SMS games i can help you.

Sonic The hedgehog
New Zealand Story
Asterix
Daffy duck in Hollywood
Teddy Boy
Fantasy Zone (This is a must!!!)
Wonder boy

bosanova_x
August 21st, 2006, 00:59
GG shinobi 1 and 2 rock for this emu,not forgeting good old sonic.

grit
August 21st, 2006, 01:31
It just gives me an error:

Fatal error

This program encontered a fatal error and must be terminated.

File: psp/menuplus.c : 2635
Error: ftStandard && ftGlow && imgBorder

Any ideas?

rock_light
August 21st, 2006, 02:14
WOW Nice interface! This is one of the finer pieces of homebrew out there! Im so glad to actually have a sms emulator i liked using. Thank you for properly bringing the SMS and SGG to the PSP finally.
I hope you win the neo contest.

-SnowFire-
August 21st, 2006, 02:21
I haven't been able to try it out because of that error. Any leads?

Briggzy11
August 21st, 2006, 02:28
To people with the fatal error...

...Reinstall it,

To wally...

...totally agree with you, you made a good point and I have to respect it :)

fire master
August 21st, 2006, 02:47
Does this have wifi like SMS Plus.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/curly.johnson/images/fire57.gif
Feel the Burn

JKKDARK
August 21st, 2006, 02:48
amazing :D

grit
August 21st, 2006, 03:04
To people with the fatal error...

...Reinstall it,

I tryed that 4 times and no-go.

But I figured it out. This HB that has the eboot path hardcoded. As I keep every HB with %__SCE__ naming convention to hide corrupted icons I named this too.
The dirs must be named MMSPlus and MMSPlus%. Other than that and U get that error.

I must say: This emu's GUI is really great!! :D
Lots of configs and running great!

GPeter7
August 21st, 2006, 03:53
:) WOW, WOW, WOW, SUPER Nice interface and Emulator! This is one of the best Emulator out there for Sega SMS and Sega Game Gear! Thank you for a good job on this emulator. And I hope that too, you will win the Neoflash Coding Competition,

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 04:29
SMS equals NES how can people say theres to many this emulator kicks A**. Thanks Brunni and good luck in the competition. You have mi vote

digitalvampirex
August 21st, 2006, 04:30
I tryed that 4 times and no-go.

But I figured it out. This HB that has the eboot path hardcoded. As I keep every HB with %__SCE__ naming convention to hide corrupted icons I named this too.
The dirs must be named MMSPlus and MMSPlus%. Other than that and U get that error.

I must say: This emu's GUI is really great!! :D
Lots of configs and running great!

I'm Wondering if I can Edit the Eboot to allow for the %__SCE___ Naming cause I really hate the corrupted icons as well...anyone know if this is possible?

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 04:37
I'm Wondering if I can Edit the Eboot to allow for the %__SCE___ Naming cause I really hate the corrupted icons as well...anyone know if this is possible?
Yes you can or use pspbrew .90:D

Basil Zero
August 21st, 2006, 04:40
Nice, gonna try this out and add to my homebrew collection

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 05:01
Why wont it work when renamed i wonder.

-SnowFire-
August 21st, 2006, 05:13
There's a few that are really noteworthy, starting with Phantasy Star, Zillion I and II, Kenseiden was solid.

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 05:19
There's a few that are really noteworthy, starting with Phantasy Star, Zillion I and II, Kenseiden was solid.
They are great games specially Phantasy star series:D

digitalvampirex
August 21st, 2006, 06:07
Yes you can or use pspbrew .90:D

Acidburn05, did you use pspbrew and successfully hide currupted icons without the error? cause i just tried that too and it dident work for me

shushu
August 21st, 2006, 06:48
this emu's interface is very nicely done! great job!

Talking about SEGA emus, i really hope someone update the SEGA 16bit MD/Gen emulator...

jwilds73
August 21st, 2006, 07:48
This is a great Emulator Sega Master System and GameGear are definitely staying on my memory stick now. It just needs to support the %_SCE_ and _SCE_ naming convention as you can't use those or you get the error msg.

dj2005
August 21st, 2006, 07:54
This is a great Emulator Sega Master System and GameGear are definitely staying on my memory stick now. It just needs to support the %_SCE_ and _SCE_ naming convention as you can't use those or you get the error msg.
Ahh, that's why I love my custom firmware (no corrupt icons!). Amazing emulator btw!

Gizmo356
August 21st, 2006, 08:49
sweet(0_0)

M!ckeY
August 21st, 2006, 09:15
wow, i'm gonna try this out , it looks great :)

GobboFett
August 21st, 2006, 11:10
Sweet looking emulator for one of the best consoles of it's time :D These kids of today not knowing how good SMS/GG games are...tisk, tisk. Here are just a few;

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (BEST SMS GAME EVER!!!)
Dragon Crystal
Ninja Gaiden
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (:p)

Or you could just check my games colloection link in my sig.

StealthCP
August 21st, 2006, 11:16
Wow. This is a good emulator.

Not many can underclock like this for speed.

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 14:10
Acidburn05, did you use pspbrew and successfully hide currupted icons without the error? cause i just tried that too and it dident work for me
Actually the reason it worked i think was because i had the regular emulator still in the memory stick. But as soon as i deleted it i got the error again. Makes no sense since i wasn't even using that emulator but the one i converted. Well it is a great emulator and i hope this is fixed in the next release. This is the same thing that use to happen with the first SMSPlus release.:(

bah
August 21st, 2006, 18:44
This is the finest SMS emu I have had the pleasure of using, the sound is perfect :)
The abilty to remove the corrupt icon would be nice, but the quality of this emulator is more than worth the very minor annoyance of an extra icon on my games menu.

Tanis6909
August 21st, 2006, 18:53
is there a shining force game for the master system? or was that only for Genesis

groovemaster303
August 21st, 2006, 21:20
If i remember right on the gg there was Shining Force Gaiden but it is jap.

I have been waiting for a long time to see a decent SMS emu and this is perfect.
superb.

Brunni
August 22nd, 2006, 20:59
Hello guys,
I'm the author of this emulator, I'm subscribed to this forum for quite a while but never posted (IIRC), but browsed it regularily.
First, thank you for your support :)

The problem with the hardcoded path is now solved.
It's also ~15% faster: now you can really play at low frequencies, menu musics @ 44 kHz included.
Also the current skin wasn't saved because the plugins.ini file was faulty.
I also changed the package slightly (now includes the wonderful "Ring Rink" from Ristar), and corrected some small details.
You can download it from the neoflash topic, but not the attached file (which is fixed, for the contest), but this link:
http://oslib.palib.info/MMSPlus.rar
Please tell me what you think of it ;)
++

carpy
August 22nd, 2006, 23:08
Silly question:

Can you make an option to run the BIOS from teh roms folder before running the game, like it does on a REAL SMS?

PSPmaster does this, and it just adds to the nostalgia factor 10X.

bah
August 23rd, 2006, 19:17
Brunni, THANKYOU!
This emulator is perfect, the corrupt icon is now gone :)
I cant think what else to say other than thanks for fun I can now have playing these games.

BBC Model B was my first computer, SMS my first console :)

EDIT: One very minor thing, with some games I get a vertical stripe down the left hand side of the screen.
In some games (wonder boy 1 and 3)its black and there's 1 vertical line of pixels to the left of the stripe that seem to light up as if part of the game image, in others (sonic 1 and 2) its the same colour as the furthest background layers colour with nothing to the left.

In alex kid in miracle world it doesnt appear in the first; vertically scrolling part, but when the game becomes horizontally scrolling in the water it does.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd call this issue a 1 or less, the emulator runs everything i've thrown at it perfectly.