PDA

View Full Version : Sandbox 1.0 is here!

PSmonkey
August 21st, 2006, 05:09
http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/snap1_qjgenth.jpg

http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/snap2_qjgenth.jpg

I was hoping it would turn out better but due to lack of sleep adding up now out of time, a few corners were cut.

Anyways go try out my neoflash compo entry. I probably will only get 3rd place for this.

Do note tho, I plan to update the game this week to fix for stuff I did not have enough time to do.

http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3033.0.html

================================================== ======================
Sandbox Project Overview
================================================== ======================

- What is sandbox -
Sandbox is pretty much Physics demos meet lumines style themes with a mini game twist.
It's as simple as that.

- Future plans -
.) Fix few game modes (bowling & Battle)
.) Add Game Modes (Mini Golf, Stunt Rally)
.) Suport returning to menu (Sorry ran out of time)
.) Fix Audio loop & cutout issue.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Usage ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
.) Copy Art & PSP folder to the root of your memory stick (ms0:/Art/)
.) Run Sandbox

// Credits //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

- Lead Programmer -
PSmonkey

- ODE Technical Help -
AnonymousTipster

- Menu Art & Logos -
Produkt

- Theme Makers -
PSPdemon - Neon-World, Park, SpaceBattle, BowlingAlley
PSmonkey - Mario

- Music -
$n!pR

- Testers & Feedback -
AnonymousTipster, $n!pR, Produkt

DOWNLOAD AND GIVE FEEDBACK VIA COMMENTS

Accordion
August 21st, 2006, 05:23
yay!
its 5:30am here in the uk, but i will try it after work
lokking forward to it!!!

you have coder status! why dont you post this in the news???

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 05:33
Awseome release PSmonkey! :)

stotheamuel
August 21st, 2006, 05:34
i downloaded and it isnt coming up

EDIT: nevermind realized my mistake... needed art folder

EDIT:SaNDBOX So far so good... love flying boxes around :D

only thing is not being able to return to menu is killing me!:o

Bowling: fun!... i just got a strike after about 40 trys... just the box should be a sphere (i bet you already knew that... and you cant roll twice... and the box never stops

Demolition: is pretty fun (high score 197) i would love to see a combo of sandbox and demolition

Battle:.. pretty fun too.. just that the boxes fly out around the ship.. not just from the ship

PSmonkey
August 21st, 2006, 05:38
Feedback is heavly needed guys. So if there is any ideas you think will make it better. Please tell me.

Something I forgot to mention. The greatest thing about sandbox is the fact it's all setup by theme.ini files. You can easly modify exsisting themes or even create your own.

Another nice feature is I setup AT3 playback in a way that the game should still be 2.0+ compatible. Just have to pop in an old game. :)

PSmonkey
August 21st, 2006, 05:50
EDIT: So far so good... love flying boxes around :D

only thing is not being able to return to menu is killing me!:o

Yeah sorry about that. It was either menu return or adding bowling. While maybe not the best choice, it did alow me to fix and expand my physics system a bit to suport sphears soon (just did not have time for geometry so hense the box).

PSPdemon
August 21st, 2006, 07:31
:D

you have made one of my dreams come true monkey...you have given me a physics engine :D :D :D

well now anyway...

as you said there are edits your going to be doing.... i did come across a bug today though.....it was in demolition.....where what happened was....one block went out of the surrounding box....and gave me this huge score....( something like 15,500 + ) ill be running from this point on ir to take ss of when these bugs do happen so i can show you :D

so far....thats the only bug.....other than one or 2 crashes i had.. VERY well done and put together...

so far.....demolition is my favorite mode.....( because you can go into matrix on explosion :D )

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

PS. ill be making a bunch of themes for this.....i have a good bunch in my head as we speak....just need to make them into themes and write there theme files out :D

BrooksyX
August 21st, 2006, 08:16
Great game, it could really fun if you put time into developing it even better. ( I hope you take a break to work on your fps soon though)

Anyways to celebrate this great release I have decided to make a skin:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=190309#post190309

Gizmo356
August 21st, 2006, 08:30
awesome Mr.Monkey lol

Accordion
August 21st, 2006, 10:53
anyone know how to make atrac3 on Mac OS X ????

motz
August 21st, 2006, 12:56
yay!
its 5:30am here in the uk, but i will try it after work
lokking forward to it!!!

you have coder status! why dont you post this in the news???

Lol, PSMonkey is an administrator, not just a PSP Coder. :D

Nice release PSMonkey! ;)

Psyberjock
August 21st, 2006, 13:05
Wait a minute, I'm confused. This isn't the new FPS? This is something different? Or is this the new thing and the FPS is just Iris again but upgraded? I was under the impression that the 'something new and good for the Neoflash comp 'was going to be the new FPS based on a new redesigned engine.

Where did I part from reality? I try to check up on this stuff every day, but I do miss days.

I really don't want to sound ungrateful or rude, and I support you and try to offer good ideas when I can, but can you stop juggling so many things and finish something? Iris is Beta at best, M64 is great but no where near where it could be, and now there's new things that need work?

I think you should focus. Practice some zen meditation or something when you're not coding and try not to get too distracted.

I hate to say it, but I think you act a bit like me. Lol... I can't seem to focus on one thing for long before I get bored and try to do something else.

Now, repeat after me: Ohhmmmmm, Ohhmmmmm, Ohhmmmmm....

Accordion
August 21st, 2006, 13:16
to motz:
i thought so, but i had just woke up and the facts were written below his name.

great release.
should win 1st

PSPKOR
August 21st, 2006, 14:50
Originally Posted by PSPKOR
Thanks for keeping us up to date on it and i cant wait to give this game a go.

Originally Posted by PSmonkey
Tomorrow you will. Oh yes, Tomorrow you will.

Yes I have, yes I have and its good, very interesting to say the least.

Malksta
August 21st, 2006, 15:18
Great work, Monkey, Hope you win :D

DPyro
August 21st, 2006, 17:49
This is a good base for a fun game PSmonkey. BTW who chose that music, its awesome! :D

PSmonkey
August 21st, 2006, 17:53
Wait a minute, I'm confused. This isn't the new FPS? This is something different? Or is this the new thing and the FPS is just Iris again but upgraded? I was under the impression that the 'something new and good for the Neoflash comp 'was going to be the new FPS based on a new redesigned engine.

Where did I part from reality? I try to check up on this stuff every day, but I do miss days.

I really don't want to sound ungrateful or rude, and I support you and try to offer good ideas when I can, but can you stop juggling so many things and finish something? Iris is Beta at best, M64 is great but no where near where it could be, and now there's new things that need work?

I think you should focus. Practice some zen meditation or something when you're not coding and try not to get too distracted.

I hate to say it, but I think you act a bit like me. Lol... I can't seem to focus on one thing for long before I get bored and try to do something else.

Now, repeat after me: Ohhmmmmm, Ohhmmmmm, Ohhmmmmm....

I understand your frustration but there is many things you must understand. Iris is horible as is to contiue. That is why its getting a rewrite using the new engine that sandbox runs on. Iris is also getting a new coder.

I did plan to do an fps, yet produkt ran into many issues and we bailed on the idea because it would have resulted in something crappy for a compo.

M64 is still being worked on constantly.

Sandbox is purely since both compos wanted something new and not a rerelease (yet they seem to fudge that idea).

Sorry to sound bitchy but I feel like shit, am still tired & have a massive headake. I really was pulling alot of late nighers just to even get this up and running. :(

PSmonkey
August 21st, 2006, 17:54
This is a good base for a fun game PSmonkey. BTW who chose that music, its awesome! :D

read the readme file and dont play dumb. :P

Kasumi
August 21st, 2006, 19:09
How to easily crash this program:

Step 1. Pick the Sandbox game and select the neon world theme.

Step 2. Select Play Game

Step 3. Press x three to five times fast.

Crash. It appears that when blocks get stuck inside each other the game probably keeps trying to bounce them away... but it doesn't work and whores up the memory.

Edit: Maybe I just got unlucky with this... I crashed it twice in a row, but it doesn't work anymore. I'm trying other things to replicate the crash... oh well.

Anyway other than that, great project. I've had a lot of fun with it. I've also got a few suggestions.

When you first load it asks you for a UMD. It'd be nice if Continue Without Music was the default choice rather than retry.

I'd like to see the ability to edit gravity and the weight of the blocks. (If this is already in, ignore me. I haven't delved too deeply into creating modes. It'd be cool to have other terrains as well, but I'm sure that's a ways off. (like water and such)

PSmonkey
August 21st, 2006, 19:42
How to easily crash this program:

Step 1. Pick the Sandbox game and select the neon world theme.

Step 2. Select Play Game

Step 3. Press x three to five times fast.

Crash. It appears that when blocks get stuck inside each other the game probably keeps trying to bounce them away... but it doesn't work and whores up the memory.

Edit: Maybe I just got unlucky with this... I crashed it twice in a row, but it doesn't work anymore. I'm trying other things to replicate the crash... oh well.

Anyway other than that, great project. I've had a lot of fun with it. I've also got a few suggestions.

When you first load it asks you for a UMD. It'd be nice if Continue Without Music was the default choice rather than retry.

I'd like to see the ability to edit gravity and the weight of the blocks. (If this is already in, ignore me. I haven't delved too deeply into creating modes. It'd be cool to have other terrains as well, but I'm sure that's a ways off. (like water and such)

Yeah, AT informed me on this already. Its a case of the boxes needing to move since they clip another object/plane but have no place to go.

There is suposetly a way to fix it but did not have time to check into it yet.

Regarding request.
1) Gravity has long been planned. It will make next release.
2) Mass is baed on size and it sets a density of 1. I will add in suport to change an objects density in the next build.
3) Terrain is somewhat posible at the moment. You can use the pre set geometry commands to add in static boxes. Eventualy I would like for it to suport ridged floor geometry. Not sure on water yet.

itaintmefoo
August 22nd, 2006, 03:31
this looks really good dude i havent downloaded it yet i hope u win 1st

jasonc
August 23rd, 2006, 13:27
plzzzzzzzzzzz make the new iris plzzzzz go back to iris anyway Iris rules there is just 1 thing i would like you to make in it >>>>> not square bullets you run out of bullets and online play >>> Iris has changed my life for the better thank you psp monkey you rock

PsychoSync
August 23rd, 2006, 20:17
PSmonkey is doing a great job, great projects, he's still working on Monkey64 too and planning on adding 64DD support. You're not gonna get anything from the man with some begging.

PSmonkey
August 23rd, 2006, 21:53
plzzzzzzzzzzz make the new iris plzzzzz go back to iris anyway Iris rules there is just 1 thing i would like you to make in it >>>>> not square bullets you run out of bullets and online play >>> Iris has changed my life for the better thank you psp monkey you rock

please people. Give me time on iris. I want it to be on par with q3 on the psp. I am redoing iris vs just tweaking it.

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 22:19
go here for a very simple theme, of what i would like to do in the future

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=193602#post193602

kersplatty
August 30th, 2006, 17:32
nice game monkey still havent rly figured a way to aim in bowling but demolition is fun :D

Accordion
August 30th, 2006, 18:52
soon you will