PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto explains why it's 'easy' to make a Mario game

wraggster
September 25th, 2010, 18:56
As part of Nintendo's ongoing celebration of Mario's 25th anniversary, the latest edition of Iwata Asks is a lengthy conversation between Mario creator Shigeru Miyamoto and guest host Shigesato Itoi, creator of Earthbound. In the interview, Miyamoto suggested that making Mario games has been "easy," thanks to ever-evolving technology.

"What's been easy about making the Mario games is that they could naturally change along with the progress of technology," Miyamoto observed. "For example, when you make live action SFX movies and as special effects technology advances, then you have new methods at your disposal."

Adapting to new technologies has been key to Mario's longevity, Miyamoto explained. "In the same way, as technology advances, the Mario games change, too [...] And as technology changes, so does what you want to do. If it weren't for that, I don't think I could have stuck with it this far." Because the Mario franchise is meant to change with technology, there hasn't ever been a "roadmap" for the series. Instead, the impromptu schedule of Mario games has fueled its creative stamina. "The games turn out more fun that way than if you planned everything out on paper," Miyamoto added.

Although Miyamoto has been working with Nintendo and the Mario series for the past 25 years, it seems the famed designer isn't ready to quit any time soon. When quizzed about his position 25 years from now (when he's 85!), Miyamoto admitted that "I'll probably be working on something." Of course, there's a caveat: "If I'm still alive then."

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/24/miyamoto-explains-why-its-easy-to-make-a-mario-game/