PDA

View Full Version : Shining Fantasy RPG Engine Preview 1

wraggster
August 21st, 2006, 13:41
Framerate (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3038.0.html) posted this entry in the Neoflash Coding Comp:

Theres a lot more I wanted to get done, but this contest gave me a perfect deadline to force myself to make some progress... so here we are. I've been coding and talking for over a year, and now I put my money where my mouth is....

Here's the initial preview of my RPG engine. I had to disable the full battles due to time constraints, but it's all explained in the demo...

Check it out and let me know what you think!

Thanks for the opportunity!

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Nikolaos
August 21st, 2006, 14:12
kinda looks like zelda o.O and ima fan of zelda. IMA TRY IT OUT!

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 14:29
Very nice. Hope this wont be your last release and you keep making it better and better. Best of luck at the comp.,

AlinayG
August 21st, 2006, 14:37
yea if this keeps getteing better and better people could make some kick ass rpgs :D

Mr. Shizzy
August 21st, 2006, 16:03
Yes, please don't let this project end here. It looks great. Looking foward to updates.:D

mr_nick666
August 21st, 2006, 17:13

/\ /\ Agreed! :D Like everyone says keep this project alive - superb! ;)

CrAzY_fLiP3
August 21st, 2006, 18:21
looks very interesting. i see you picked up some FFIII sprites lol (hey look its Celes!) :D

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 21st, 2006, 18:22
looking good, keep it up!!!

muffinman
August 21st, 2006, 19:19
Yes looks an interesting project ill have a little go at this later on.

Zion
August 21st, 2006, 19:33
Looks good, shame about the framerate.

framerate
August 21st, 2006, 20:07
Looks good, shame about the framerate.

Is that a play on my name? Or are you making a comment about the actual framerate?

Also, thanks for the kind words guys... pspupdates.com kids can be kinda harsh. It was nice to come here and see all kinds of positive reinforcement!

Don't worry, this project isn't dying!

zackforbing
August 21st, 2006, 20:16
COuld it be because the backgrounds are all from Link to the Past?!

>.<

:D

lilvietquoc
August 21st, 2006, 20:24
lol it looks like zelda more than FF but o welll they both were great games

Zion
August 21st, 2006, 21:54
Is that a play on my name? Or are you making a comment about the actual framerate?

I was on about, is the character movement designed to be slow or is it a framerate problem?

btw great looking engine :D

framerate
August 22nd, 2006, 00:03
I was on about, is the character movement designed to be slow or is it a framerate problem?

btw great looking engine :D

I think it's a little of both... Pressing square will double your speed (in the next demo). I programmed this mostly on my macbook pro and the animation looks GREAT. But on PSP, I had to speed up the per pixel movement... I think it's a problem with my graphics taking up too much memory? Also, Initializing SDL the same way I do on the macbook causes some flickering issues on my intro.... so I'm gonna talk to the guys at ps2dev forums to try to figure out why....

Hopefully it'll all be cleared up by the next preview :)

But thanks for the kind words.. It's hard for a lot of people to see the amount of work due to the stolen gfx, but the engine is all mine :)

wraggster
August 22nd, 2006, 00:11
this isnt qj forums, its a bit more grown up over here, and 99% of the people here have serious respect for coders and we also have coders from nearly every scene on these forums too :)

Zion
August 22nd, 2006, 00:14
i couldnt agree more, dont let those morons at qj.net put you off

wraggster
August 22nd, 2006, 00:15
Anyone who codes deserves our respect, people who slag coders off just dont deserve the releases they give

wraggster
August 22nd, 2006, 00:16
btw i love the zelda look, could this develop into a true Zelda rpg for the PSP at some stage

true Zelda fans will agree with me that Zelda on the Snes was the finest Zelda ;)

btw your PSP Coder now too framerate :)

Zion
August 22nd, 2006, 00:29
dont forget linken's quest Wraggster :p

framerate
August 22nd, 2006, 01:02
btw i love the zelda look, could this develop into a true Zelda rpg for the PSP at some stage

true Zelda fans will agree with me that Zelda on the Snes was the finest Zelda ;)

btw your PSP Coder now too framerate :)

I actually thought about making a RPG (turn based) with Zelda sprites... seems like a cool idea... kinda blasphemous though haha.

But I think to be really happy with this, I need original artwork/music/storyline.. I have a music guy, I just need to finalize who's gonna do the art...

Mr. Shizzy
August 22nd, 2006, 11:24
Also, thanks for the kind words guys... pspupdates.com kids can be kinda harsh.

QJ is nothing but a bunch of direspectful 12 year olds. It pains me to even scroll through their site.:(

A question about this engine. Is there going to be an option for "real time" battle sequences ( a la Zelda);
or is the battle system going to strictley be turn based? (I'm praying for the possibility of real time battles) :D Either way, great work. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates. THANKS

framerate
August 22nd, 2006, 13:35
QJ is nothing but a bunch of direspectful 12 year olds. It pains me to even scroll through their site.:(

A question about this engine. Is there going to be an option for "real time" battle sequences ( a la Zelda);
or is the battle system going to strictley be turn based? (I'm praying for the possibility of real time battles) :D Either way, great work. I'll be keeping an eye out for updates. THANKS

Well one of the problems in my "planning" stages was I didn't know what I wanted to do. I wanted to do Zelda style, FF style, and shining force style (hence the name).

I had to make a decision so that I could move forward with progress on the engine. So I decided to start with FF style (playing these seems like the greatest time waster of them all!).

But to answer your question, I'm hoping to make real time and turn based strategy engines and incorporate it into here BUT It'll likely take me a long time to get finish this FF clone style :/

It'll probably go something like this:

Version 1.0 - Complete FF clone
Version 2.0 - Complete Zelda clone
Version 3.0 - Complete SF clone

But we know how long it takes to me to get anything done, so don't hold your breath :)

Mr. Shizzy
August 23rd, 2006, 17:11
Great News! I currently have a friend trying to teach me C. But it looks like that may take awhile. LOL. It's much more involved than I thought.
This would be an excellent way for poeple to make there own games. I'm downloading your demo now. Is this going to support custom palletes? What an exciting app!!! THANKS framerate!

framerate
August 23rd, 2006, 22:48
Holy crap! I just solved my framerate bottleneck.

Now it's almost TOO fast! :)

Mr. Shizzy
August 26th, 2006, 18:38
Really? Glad to hear of more progress! I love the idea of this app! Keep us posted. :)

Zion
August 26th, 2006, 19:21
great news framerate :D

F9zDark
September 22nd, 2006, 18:10
Any updates on this project? I am eagerly awaiting a new release :)

Basil Zero
September 22nd, 2006, 21:28
mixture of Zelda and Final Fantasy, two of my most fav rpgs.. lol

novexxx
September 25th, 2006, 21:05
hmm this is a bit small, for what u say you've been coding for a year, i guess i haven't seen the code or the battle system which i'm sure will be a nice imitation of fianal fantasy, i hope there will be a good story because other than that it seems a bit mediocre.
Sry about the critism i do actually like the idea (infact i've am already coding an rpg). keep up the good work.

Guitarman_823
October 19th, 2006, 00:06
This Game sounds Awesome Dude!!!! Please Release an update with the framrate fix and more storyline!!! OMG This will be sooooooooooooooo cool. L8tr M8

HaXz
October 19th, 2006, 06:00
This sounds really cool bro im downloading it now. I still cant believe there are coders that put that much time into free projects for the psp. I have coded a database app in c that took 7 months and got paid very very well for the app. If I were you I would at least consider a donation link if you finsh this. I know I can't speak for everyone but I donate(even if its only 10 dollars it adds up) to every coder that codes projects I use for free because I know how much work goes into the projects. A homebrew game for the psp probably takes a single coder 200+ hours, depending on how complex the code is.

:D

craigdanbeaton
November 16th, 2006, 21:18
This game is amazing, please update.

maxipower90
June 6th, 2007, 15:39
looks great, i would love to be able to code and stuff, if any 1 has any tips of were to start, please Pm me, and i do mean anyone

Ghoti
June 6th, 2007, 16:42
Nicely done :thumbup:

I have a question though, did you enter the 2006 compo and this is the result of a years work or are you planning on entering for the 2007 compo?