PDA

View Full Version : PS1 downloads for PSP this year

wraggster
August 21st, 2006, 19:56
News Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=144813)

Sony US head honcho Kaz Hirai has said the company hopes to get its download service (including a library of PS1 games) for the PSP up and running before the end of the year, that the PlayStation 3 will be online from launch day one, and has also given a rather lukewarm vote of confidence to the PSP's much-maligned UMD format.

In an interview with GameSpot, Hirai said, when questioned about the vaunted PSP Connect download service: "We are still hard at work on the download service for PSP. And again, we want to make sure that what we're offering is something that we can be happy with as opposed to something that's just put together for the sake of getting something out there as quickly as possible." He was less vague about the accompanying PS1 games download service, though: "The plan is to bring that this year, as close to launch as possible, as we start embarking on our online initiative. Again, the sooner we can bring that, those titles out to the market, the better. Obviously, we certainly are not going to have 1,200 titles come out at once. You also need to realize that some of the games just don't translate well onto a PSP environment, games that require the use of the two analogue sticks, for example."

Talking about the PlayStation 3, Hirai said: "The plan is to take the console online on November 17th as we launch and I also assume as we launch in Japan on November 11th." But when tackled about the growing trend among PSP owners towards downloading entertainment content to Memory Sticks, rather than buying UMDs, Hirai flannelled somewhat: "We see the UMD as really being a delivery medium of entertainment content. And as is the case with PlayStation 3, some things lend themselves better to a delivery medium through online to the memory stick. Other content lends itself better to a pre-recorded medium in the form of a UMD disk. If there are advantages, or for the motion picture companies to take advantage of UMD to deliver their content or music companies to deliver their content on UMDs, that's great. But at the same time, if they perceive another delivery medium, at the end of the day that's all going to help in increasing the installed base of the PlayStation Portable."

It's hardly a ringing endorsement of the world's most proprietary format though. Hirai also carefully reiterated that Sony has no plans to either redesign the PSP or to drop its price, pointing out that the handheld has sold 20 million units worldwide in its first 18 months on the market, 5.2 million of which were shifted in the US alone.

Emeriastone
August 21st, 2006, 20:02
Interesting.

Kramer
August 21st, 2006, 20:03
well it's good to hear they arent planning on redesigning the psp I didnt think they would anyway.

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 20:04
Interesting.
:Scartches chin: hmmmmm....
no PSP redisign rocks. :)

Gene
August 21st, 2006, 20:45
so will the games be on umd or memory stick? they werent very clear on that part.

NoQuarter
August 21st, 2006, 20:52
I'm pretty sure Ps1games will be launched from memstick,at this rate though we'll have our ps1 emu before the sony official one.

JD/
August 21st, 2006, 21:15
Sony's PS1 emu will probably be more perfect when it starts out but that will probably help the development of the hombrew PS1 emu anyway I dont think anyone wants to upgrade to get to play these PS1 games.

dj2005
August 21st, 2006, 21:29
Yup, games load from mem stick (was an E3 demo video showing it being played).

jimmi
August 21st, 2006, 21:49
yea, if were patient with our ps1 emu no one will need this! hooray !

SteveV2
August 21st, 2006, 22:35
I'm pretty sure Ps1games will be launched from memstick,at this rate though we'll have our ps1 emu before the sony official one.

This is what I don't get.

We all stay on 1.5 because you need 1.5 to run homebrew off the memory card.

I'm wondering how Sony are planning to get PS1 games running off the memory card in 2.8/3.0, whatever it is by then. I was under the impression they don't want us to get thing running on the MS. Are they back tracking?

It has to be a download service but christ, these games ain't small !

Am I wrong? I'm still farily new :D

jimmi
August 21st, 2006, 22:40
hey just wonderin will we need WIFI to do this cos myn gets that bludy *internal error* its annnnnnoyin !

Video_freak
August 21st, 2006, 22:55
hey just wonderin will we need WIFI to do this cos myn gets that bludy *internal error* its annnnnnoyin !
Probably not. And for the internal error message, make sure you set the clock speed to 222 mhz on Devhook if that's where your problem is.

jimmi
August 21st, 2006, 23:00
I did , i used 2 have a 2.60 and i still had the problem , but i downgraded and wen i devhook i use 222 and still n work ... as long as it dont need wifi on ma psp its kl

ACID
August 21st, 2006, 23:01
Nothing about the price yet. ha

wolfpack
August 22nd, 2006, 05:58
hmm... if i had high speed, id jump up in joy for sony's psone emu, but since i have dial up... f**k that im sticking with the hacker version, id rather run the games that i already own on it than pay and download them.

TEAL DRAGON128
August 22nd, 2006, 06:09
Yup, games load from mem stick (was an E3 demo video showing it being played).

How much space would each game take do you think?

ACID
August 22nd, 2006, 06:56
How much space would each game take do you think?
Been that PS1 games are ISO format from 100mb and up depending on the game. Sports being some of the highest. Followed by RPGS:D

mr_nick666
August 22nd, 2006, 08:48
This is what I don't get.

We all stay on 1.5 because you need 1.5 to run homebrew off the memory card.

I'm wondering how Sony are planning to get PS1 games running off the memory card in 2.8/3.0, whatever it is by then. I was under the impression they don't want us to get thing running on the MS. Are they back tracking?

It has to be a download service but christ, these games ain't small !

Am I wrong? I'm still farily new :D

$ony will be aiming to get the security as tight as a rat's ear :( I do wonder on the downloads... :confused: Im guessing you'll be able to use your PC (because of the files sizes) but maybe the download will be linked to your PSPs MAC - No sharing with your friends! :rolleyes:

antoine
August 23rd, 2006, 02:49
hum wich choose new games or homebrew ?

antoine
August 23rd, 2006, 02:49
interr

antoine
August 23rd, 2006, 02:50
esting

JD/
August 23rd, 2006, 06:31
iitd be homebrew everytime specially since there is gnna be a homebrew ps1 emu :)

donne
August 23rd, 2006, 07:20
Somehow I wish it's distributed via regular CD.. (and you copy it to MS) If it's 100mb++ then there's no way I'm getting it online. I might have to let the internet connection over-night.. That ain't pretty on my phone-bills..

I think I must start to learn how to rip ISO.. hmm...

SteveV2
August 23rd, 2006, 17:32
Well out of my PSX image folder,

128 Files, smallest, Bubble Bobble 2 (61 meg) and amazing enough, Tekken 2 (733 meg).

In fact, all the Tekkens are big. These are 100% rips, nothing taken out, the way they should be played :)

SteveV2
August 23rd, 2006, 17:34
The average size is 495 meg ^^^

donne
August 24th, 2006, 00:58
Definetely no go for 495mb through online connection..

Yes, where's that CD ripping manual.. hmm ?