PDA

View Full Version : Just 6% of console owners download content

wraggster
September 28th, 2010, 22:02
A new report by market research firm the NPD Group claims just six per cent of Americans downloaded content via game consoles in the last three months.

During the same period, 75 per cent of US consumers aged 13 and above didn't connect or download content via any platform, suggesting there's still a very "large and untapped market for devices that offer connected capabilities and the digital content played on those devices".

PC and Mac were found to be the most popular platforms for downloading content, followed by game consoles, smartphones, Blu-ray players and digital video players.

"What we learned in our research is that while some people already experience the world in a connected way, most do not," said NPD vice president Russ Crupnick.

"The promise of the connected experience is coming, as prospective Blu-ray owners want their players to come with connectivity, and half of game consoles are already connected. The doors are also opening wider for music, video, gaming and other forms of entertainment."

NPD games analyst Anita Frazier added: "Discoverability, driven by a rich user experience, is key to content exposure.

"Today's gamer might be a hard-core teen-ager playing games online with his friends, a 40-something female playing Farmville on Facebook, or everything on either side of that spectrum. We would not have seen this type of audience diversification and expansion if it weren't for connected internet, smartphone, and online gaming options."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=267132?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

Qmark
September 28th, 2010, 22:39
During the same period, 75 per cent of US consumers aged 13 and above didn't connect or download content via any platform, suggesting there's still a very "large and untapped market for devices that offer connected capabilities and the digital content played on those devices".
No, that suggests there is a "large and untapped" portion of people who simply don't give a damn.

nyder
September 28th, 2010, 23:00
No, that suggests there is a "large and untapped" portion of people who simply don't give a damn.

Exactly what I thought.

royvedas
September 29th, 2010, 08:01
Even though retail games are clearly "expensive enough" - it is nothing compared to the price/value equation concerning DLC. It is simply overpriced and most of the time adds no real value to the game.

Actually it destroys my desire to even buy retail games at all. I don't want to "patch it up" with expensive crap all the time. I want to buy the whole damn thing at once and be able to sell it if I God damn please.