PDA

View Full Version : MMSPlus Updated - Master System and Game Gear Emulator for the PSP

wraggster
August 22nd, 2006, 01:32
Brunni (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3021.0.html) has updated his excellent entry into the Neoflash Coding Competition, heres the full release details:

Hello!!!

I present you my application for the PSP, it's a Master System and Game Gear emulator. It's a port from the excellent SMSPlus with improved compatibilty and good speed. All my games now run without problem! Most SMS games run perfectly at 166 MHz and Game Gear at 133 MHz. Also, there is no more sound glitches ^^
It can also play GYM music files. Files are placed in a ZIP file, used as a playlist. 6 sample GYMs are included, simply load music.zip in the emulator directory.

Thank you

Sorry, I've made some mistakes in the posted version that I didn't have time to test because I finished yesterday evening, so this one is now fixed:

- The neoflash logo which was using 32-bit mode didn't restore 16-bit at the end, causing a ~15% performance loss.
- Current skin was not saved properly (you can edit plugins.ini to correct this).

Note that this update comes outside of the contest, so if you test it for voting, download the first version (attached to the first post), but if you plan serious use or to distribute it, download the latest version with the above link.

I forgot to mention that it's the first release of MMSPlus ever. That means it may be some things in it you find stupid Please report them to me

I also forgot to talk about the Z80 overclocking feature, which will allow you to play comfortably games like Sonic Chaos that were slowing down all the time, even on real console.

Download and Give Feedback and Compatibility Via Comments

UPDATE -

use the new fixed version :)

V3N0M
August 22nd, 2006, 01:37
Great Release!!!

ataribob
August 22nd, 2006, 01:55
Wish you could have renamed it to like MMSplus.rar to like MMSplus.10 .rar

easy on the download folders.
This is the best emulator in the way of the Game Gear.
Playing the translated Shiningg Force 3.. and able to save the game.
On a real Game Gear using a flash cart It will not run because some rookie coders that put it back together messed it up

digitalvampirex
August 22nd, 2006, 02:21
Well theres still that problem where you can't name the folders what you want, so we still have corrupt icons...damn, i was so hoping that was fixed when i saw this post...

carpy
August 22nd, 2006, 02:58
3 problems (besides the corrupt icons) when playing in 2.6 GTA Eloader on a TA-082 -

Error at startup hard path C0930295,

Limit of 256 Roms in the Rom path,

PSP crashes on exit from Emulator.

M!ckeY
August 22nd, 2006, 03:14
Well theres still that problem where you can't name the folders what you want, so we still have corrupt icons...damn, i was so hoping that was fixed when i saw this post...
you should try out a custom firmware, that you wont have to worry about the corrupt icons. You could also make it into a 1.0 eboot.;)

ACID
August 22nd, 2006, 04:41
What great release. Still hoping we can be able to rename it.

digitalvampirex
August 22nd, 2006, 04:55
you should try out a custom firmware, that you wont have to worry about the corrupt icons. You could also make it into a 1.0 eboot.;)

I Dont really like messing with the custom firmwares, especially only using one for hiding corrupt icons, however, the thought did cross my mind, heh

under_0ath777
August 22nd, 2006, 05:10
screenshots, under / over clocking and dual boot (1.5 / 2.71) by one button (w-lan switch up - 2.71)

wolfpack
August 22nd, 2006, 06:05
this is gonna be great, im gonna download this tomorrow and enjoy some classic game gear games, that was my first handheld right there. Ah that brings back memories.

jwilds73
August 22nd, 2006, 06:30
I'm enjoying Lunar Strolling School right now =)

bah
August 22nd, 2006, 14:53
Hahaha, the last version version had a 15% speed hindrance and was still perfect by my picky standards :)

Great work Brunni, fantastic emulator.

Carpy: Are you seriously going to play more than 256 roms any time soon?(was there even 256 SMS and GG games combined?)
I get that its a limitation, not one most would ever encounter though.......

psy2501
August 22nd, 2006, 16:00
Ehm, if you consider to correct that naming issue, it would be very nice to see that we could place our folders not only into the game folder. i personaly prefer to use ir shell and hold my folders and roms wherever i want. just dont like this game folder very much.
as every other emu i know does this in that way, i would highly appreciate, if you could implemt that : )

inlovewithi
August 22nd, 2006, 18:47
The menu for this emulator is just the best out there, very cool. Makes me want to play sms and game gear roms. He should make the menu's for other emulators.

M!ckeY
August 22nd, 2006, 18:53
screenshots, under / over clocking and dual boot (1.5 / 2.71) by one button (w-lan switch up - 2.71)
isn't it w-lan switch down:confused:

carpy
August 22nd, 2006, 19:54
Hahaha, the last version version had a 15% speed hindrance and was still perfect by my picky standards :)

Great work Brunni, fantastic emulator.

Carpy: Are you seriously going to play more than 256 roms any time soon?(was there even 256 SMS and GG games combined?)
I get that its a limitation, not one most would ever encounter though.......

If you include all of the Japanese/European/US versions, yeah, therey were a ton more.

I had 290 that were all unique in my folder, no copys, no baddumps and not even any game gear games.

I'm a stickler fo having complete "Goodsets" and TOSEC sets.

Kinda sucked because I wanted to play Zillion and the list only went up to Terminator. I had to move like 40 roms into another folder so it would show up on the list.

Basil Zero
August 22nd, 2006, 20:44
wow, another update, guess i'll have to delete the other one lol

bah
August 23rd, 2006, 15:36
Carpy, your one extremely dedicated SMS fan :D

Edit: Couldn't you just create a couple of folders inside your rom dir a-m, n-z or whatever and have every single rom with u as u want?

carpy
August 23rd, 2006, 16:25
Carpy, your one extremely dedicated SMS fan :D

Edit: Couldn't you just create a couple of folders inside your rom dir a-m, n-z or whatever and have every single rom with u as u want?

of course, that's what I did.

It's not a big deal really. I just though I'd mention it since Brunni seemed to be looking for bugtesters.

By the way, the last release still has the hard coded path issue.

SpacemanSpiff
August 23rd, 2006, 17:55
I believe Brunni posted a small update in the other thread which he claims fixed the renaming issue. But I haven't tested it.

carpy
August 23rd, 2006, 18:36
I believe Brunni posted a small update in the other thread which he claims fixed the renaming issue. But I haven't tested it.

That's what I was talking about. It still has the hard coded path issue.

It also still crashes the PSP on exit when using the GTA Eloader.

bah
August 23rd, 2006, 20:25

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=192330&postcount=34

Works perfectly for me, renamed the folders with Sei PSP tool and no more currupt icon.

I'm running ver. 1.5 Firmware.

Brunni
August 25th, 2006, 20:57
That's what I was talking about. It still has the hard coded path issue.

It also still crashes the PSP on exit when using the GTA Eloader.
Err... are you sure you downloaded the latest version (1.0a)? This problem should now be gone (I have tested it), isn't it?
For the 256 files, it's effectively an arbitrary limit. I could augment this, but I don't think you really need more than 256 files per folder, else browsing is a pain anyway ;) even with the R key.

bah
August 27th, 2006, 09:08
Here's a locally hosted copy of Brunni's latest release with the ability to hide the corrupt icon.

Hopefully Wraggster can replace the version in the first post with either this http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=192330&postcount=34 or the file attached here.

I dont want ppl passing on such a great emu because they really hate corrupt icons :)

EDIT: At first I uploaded a modified zip with the folders renamed, I'm sure everyone can do that themselves by whatever method they prefer so the attached file is the exact same one Brunni posted an external link to.

Also, if you dont want to watch the NeoFlash intro every startup just delete neoflash.png and texte.PNG from the ..\MMSPlus\logo dir.

Brunni, any chance of an option to crop some pixels from the left hand side of the screen so the black bar down the side of the screen isnt displayed? That would have to be the only extra feature I could possibly request as everything else is perfect.

Thanks again!

Brunni
September 2nd, 2006, 13:52
Thanks ^^ You can hide the left bar in the latest (1.0b) version (Video > Render).