PDA

View Full Version : MapThis! Firmware & GPS Compatability

kochiro
August 22nd, 2006, 03:38
This thread is for compatability reports of both firmware versions and GPS models. All of the information is available in various threads, but I thought it would be helpful to have it all in one place. Perhaps this could be combined with the wifi thread and made into a complete FAQ/Walkthrough for MapThis!.

GPS Mode - Currently only works on 1.5.

Non-GPS Mode - Map viewer only mode, should work on all firmware that can run the GTA exploit, this is currently up to version 2.6.

HTML Mode - Also, using the provided scripts, anyone with a web browser (firmware 2.5 + I believe) can create an html file with the map images to view the maps in the psp browser.

So far it has been confirmed to work on the following firmwares:

1.5 (GPS Mode)
2.5 (Non-GPS Mode, confirmed by me)
2.8 (HTML Mode, confirmed by COFF6000)

Deniska stated that "it should work with all gps devices, which support serial comm port and NMEA protocol...". However, I thought that a "shopping list" of sorts might be helpful to anyone who doesn't already own a GPS unit.

So far it works with the following GPS units:

Holux GPSlim236 (developed with)
Pharos GPS-360 (requires customizing the config file, reported by A Fn NOOB)
Garmin GPSmap 60C (reported by Xern)
Holux GR-231 (awaiting confirmation from liornet)

It has been confirmed to not work on the following GPS units:

Garmin GPS III (reported by Spectreman)

However, Deniska has also reported that the next version of MapThis! might also fix some of the issues that people are having with the slower baud rate GPS devices. Non-working GPS units could have something to do with NMEA data parsing by the scripts. If using some older devices they might not comply with recent NMEA standards. The GPSlim236 uses NMEA standard 183 version 2.2 which was released on January 2002 - NOT the latest version 3.01.

If you have any others please add them here and I will update this post.

Here is how to spot an "un-patched" copy of GTA by looking at the case.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/7812/gta6eo.png

If someone could confirm the minimum firmware that has a web browser that would be helpful. Thanks.

Jay

deniska
August 22nd, 2006, 03:48
Nice summary!
Thank's for keeping track of these things!

vibez
August 22nd, 2006, 09:26
The GTA exploit only works up to version 2.50 and here is how to detect an unpatched copy of the game [image removed:: see post above]

kochiro
August 22nd, 2006, 14:06
Deniska, I really like this software and will be getting a Holux as soon as I dare to downgrade my 2.5. So I want to contribute in any way that I can. (I'm also trying to get my post count up to use PM's, just a few more to go. :D)

Now that I'm on a faster internet connection I checked noobz.eu and it states that the eLoader, which uses the GTA exploit, will work on firmware up to and including 2.6. So I updated the post to reflect that and I copied in the image.

I just need to find out which version the web browser came on, I think it was 2.5.

Deniska, have you tried the homebrew web browser and tested the map viewer files with that? If so what is it called so I can add it to the post?

Can you sticky this and the other tutorial thread?

Thanks,
Jay

Russoxley187
August 22nd, 2006, 15:08
That by far is the best pic I have seen to find out if your version is patched...
AWESOME...

kamatschka
August 23rd, 2006, 12:47
That is awesome!!!

I really looked for a GPS solution for my PSP... And now there is one...

I have a question....

I have a GPS Receiver .... but you wrote that the GPS receiver needs to support serial comm port and NMEA protocol..

How could I find out if my GPS receiver supports this all!!

Here a link to my GPS modell .....
http://www.jentro.com/index.php?id=98

I looked in the datasheet and it supports the NMEA Protocol but i dont find out if it suports the serial com port!!!

Sorry for my bad english!! I'm from germany!!! ;-)

Thanks for Answers!!!

greetz kamatschka

fokia
August 23rd, 2006, 13:44
That is awesome!!!

I really looked for a GPS solution for my PSP... And now there is one...

I have a question....

I have a GPS Receiver .... but you wrote that the GPS receiver needs to support serial comm port and NMEA protocol..

How could I find out if my GPS receiver supports this all!!

Here a link to my GPS modell .....
http://www.jentro.com/index.php?id=98

I looked in the datasheet and it supports the NMEA Protocol but i dont find out if it suports the serial com port!!!

Sorry for my bad english!! I'm from germany!!! ;-)

Thanks for Answers!!!

greetz kamatschka

I'm pretty shure it does has a serial port... but cant find the pinouts anywere... you use it to connet to a mobile phone? if so, try to find the pinout for that phone to know where TxD, RxD and GND are... The baud is 115000...

kamatschka
August 23rd, 2006, 14:35
yes.. the GPS receiver was in a Package with my mobile Phone... but i'm not using it on my Mobile phone!!!

It's a Siemens CX 65 !

I will look to find the pinout for that Mobile Phone!

Thanks for help!!!

greets kamatschka

EDIT:

HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY GPS RECEIVER! :

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/4150/sv101479res6cv.jpg

EDIT2:
I will post my Questions in the other Thread to keep this Thread here clean!!!

Spectreman
August 25th, 2006, 15:44
I can tell you that a Garmin GPS III is a no go so far. Made up the correct cable for it, cable tested ok, edited the config file to set the baud rate to 4800 (the only speed the Garmin will do), got a good GPS signal, but nothing happens with the viewer. I have confirmed that data is getting to the psp ok. Just wondering if anyone else has tried using a different gps with the baud rate setting of 4800 successfully ? Looks like I will now have to purchase a Holux gps, which I really did not want to have to do......

kochiro
August 28th, 2006, 17:01
Added Spectreman's report of the Garmin GPS III not working to a new section of incompatible GPS units.

Jay

fokia
August 28th, 2006, 17:12
Gps non working could have something to do NMEA data parsing by the scripts... if using some older devices those could not comply with recent nmea standart.

vfk
August 28th, 2006, 17:32
what about gps receiver with USB port which are compatible with NMEA ?

fokia
August 28th, 2006, 17:35
Dependes on NMEA version... an if it's trully a USB port that ain't easy without further somewhat complex hardware...

vfk
August 28th, 2006, 17:59
it is like this: http://www.jama-electronics.com.pl/www/product_info.php?products_id=84
sorry it is in polish because couldn't found in english

kochiro
August 28th, 2006, 18:38
Gps non working could have something to do NMEA data parsing by the scripts... if using some older devices those could not comply with recent nmea standart.

Of course. However the point of the thread is to simply state which units work and which don't as well as which work with some 'tweaking'.

If Deniska is able to provide additional flexability in the software via config files to handle these older units then I'll modify the post to include those units in another section and detail what would need to be changed as well.

I'll add some info regarding NMEA parsing to the first post though. Do you have any idea when the "standards" would have changed or been formalized?

Thanks,
Jay

deniska
August 28th, 2006, 22:10

Sorry, no usb support...

A Fn NOOB
August 28th, 2006, 22:39
Most GPS "mice" have USB cables, but spit out serial data. There is usually a device embedded in the cord near the USB end that converts the serial data to USB data. That little "lump" in the cord is a small PCB usually made by Prolific Co.

If you are trying to interface your GPS to the PSP, the first step is extensive Googling for all the specifications you can find.

If you have successfully mated your GPS to the PSP, make a post here to help others with similar models!

pr0cess0r
August 29th, 2006, 02:46
the green screen application work but the mapthis say data:bad

can you tell me how you edited the config files pleas.

fokia
August 29th, 2006, 10:23
the green screen application work but the mapthis say data:bad

can you tell me how you edited the config files pleas.

You need to put fakefeed=0 in ms0:/psp/game/mapviewer/system/config.txt
If it works with the green screen proggie I guess the baud is correct

Also: need to take of any UMD from the tray; turn WIFI OFF!; Wait for sat signal (Orange led blinking in Holux 236) then turn gps on pressing [] (square) button

By the way wich gps unit are you using?

fokia
August 29th, 2006, 10:37
Of course. However the point of the thread is to simply state which units work and which don't as well as which work with some 'tweaking'.

If Deniska is able to provide additional flexability in the software via config files to handle these older units then I'll modify the post to include those units in another section and detail what would need to be changed as well.

I'll add some info regarding NMEA parsing to the first post though. Do you have any idea when the "standards" would have changed or been formalized?

Thanks,
Jay

GPSlim236 uses NMEA (National Marine Electronics Association) 183 v2.2 - latest NEMEA version(v3.01) was out in jan 2002...

Just for the record...

pr0cess0r
August 29th, 2006, 12:25
sorry i forget to say i use a MS pharos gps-360.

and the green screen app moded for 4800 baud.

i changed to 4800 in the config files but it always say bad data i whas asking what change A Fn NOOB made to make it work whit the gps-360.

fokia
August 29th, 2006, 12:36
sorry i forget to say i use a MS pharos gps-360.

and the green screen app moded for 4800 baud.

i changed to 4800 in the config files but it always say bad data i whas asking what change A Fn NOOB made to make it work whit the gps-360.

Is best that A Fn NOOB help you then...

A Fn NOOB
August 29th, 2006, 12:59
It looks like 4800 baud is not working atm for MapThis!

I have a beta that works. If Deniska has no objection, I can post it up.

I dont have source, so I cant compare the two versions..... Something simple surely

kochiro
August 29th, 2006, 14:20
Edited first post to include the version and date of the latest NMEA standards. Thanks to fokia.

Jay

fokia
August 29th, 2006, 14:37
Edited first post to include the version and date of the latest NMEA standards. Thanks to fokia.

Jay

I must have explained myself wrong, just a minor correction: GPSlim uses NMEA standart 183 version 2.2 - NOT the latest version 3.01... :o

Tip: since you're updating the front post for users using 2.XX firmware it was found recently an GTA:LCS-less exploit :D ... soon (not yet) every one can use homebrew without GTA... :rolleyes:

kochiro
August 29th, 2006, 14:42
I must have explained myself wrong, just a minor correction: GPSlim uses NMEA standart 183 version 2.2 - NOT the latest version 3.01... :o

Tip: since you're updating the front post for users using 2.XX firmware it was found recently an GTA:LCS-less exploit :D ... soon (not yet) every one can use homebrew without GTA... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I read that and thought about adding it but until there's an e-loader for it I think I'll wait. No need to clutter up the web with more info that's already in a thousand places. :D

I'll update the first thread with the NMEA info.

Thanks,
Jay

pr0cess0r
August 29th, 2006, 22:42
i hope i can get it afther yje work i did to connect the gps to psp .

maybe i can beta test!

pr0cess0r
August 30th, 2006, 01:07
its working whit new mapthis v0.2

new setting read time at 2

but the software dont show # of sat and quality

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 04:21
its working whit new mapthis v0.2

new setting read time at 2

but the software dont show # of sat and quality
You may need to increase it the READTIME further to be able to pick up both rmc and gga messages...
Looks like currently you just reading rmc only...
Don't increase it to much though - you'll be slowing down the rendering and overall responce of the application...

Do you have a way to record your NMEA sentences with some PC tool? It would be interesting to see which sentences your device sends and in what sequence...

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 04:24
It looks like 4800 baud is not working atm for MapThis!

I have a beta that works. If Deniska has no objection, I can post it up.

I dont have source, so I cant compare the two versions..... Something simple surely

Yes, you can post it (I think that someone even created a serial # generator for it in one of the threads...)

Could you please try the new 0.2 version and play with newer settings in the config file.
Let me know if it works with your device..

pr0cess0r
August 30th, 2006, 06:39
thx for the 0.2 rls i have a gps-360 too and its working i will try other setting to get sat #

DKing
January 13th, 2007, 00:58
I'll be trying this with a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx once the cable arrives. I'll report on status once everything is together. Although if it works with the 60c I don't think it will be a problem with the 76CSx.

winterflop
January 22nd, 2007, 18:01
i need help. i'm not getting any satallites. how long does it usually take the first time to pick them up? stood outside for a good 5 minutes..
i'm running 303oeb, and have psp290test running. when it boots my screen looks identical to this after activating. (execpt i have no satallite signal)
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/greenprog.jpg

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 18:41
Do you get GPS state=3 and gps time running?

If so the driver is probably running correctly...

Also try getting to some open place (no trees, houses etc) and try again...

Try getting maplus ISO and see if you get any satellites with it (there is a satelite info screen - last option on main menu)

If maplus can't find any satellites then there maybe a problem with your receiver..

winterflop
January 22nd, 2007, 19:27
I got psp290test working and it found satallites. however mapthis 461s isn't finding any. i must have installed it incorrectly? i used the prx's from psp290test and put them in "psp/game/mapviewer" (which is running 303 kernal right now).

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/8929/untitled1ee.jpg

deniska
January 22nd, 2007, 20:58
The fact that you got mapthis running suggests that it loaded the drivers w/o a problem.
do you see time runnig in the sattelites view window in MapThis??

winterflop
January 23rd, 2007, 02:49
yep.. maybe i should just stand outside for a good 10 minutes? and thanks for helping me by the way.. i certainly know you don't need to, but i appreciate it.

deniska
January 23rd, 2007, 03:44
Not a problem...
I am still not convinced that GPS-290 was made to be a reliable GPS tool....(although we are still investigating)
I have much less headache with holux receivers...
So if you are really commited to this thing you may want to get one of those... It would get a fix in under a minute under most circumstances and almost never drop the connection (it does go off in long tunnels, etc)

PS, try getting and running Maplus ISO and see if you get better results (on the sat lookup screen).
It would be interesting to know if there is any difference in performance..
This whole usbgps functionality is a hack so we don't really know how it is suposed to work ;-)

tt027
July 24th, 2007, 02:32
I just want to download the newest version of mapthis.rar cant find it anywhere endless circle and the one I got is incomplete for some reason :mad: some easy to follow insructions to get this to work. I'm really not a genius.
can anyone please help by sending me the download @ email address [email protected] or IM me info
ID: tt027 any help would be appreciated thanks.