PDA

View Full Version : Aye, I need someone's help

Morph
August 22nd, 2006, 18:53
I have an odd request.

Is there anyone out there that can take Half-Life Multiplayer (preferably GOTY), and redo the network function to reroute to the Dreamcast's Broadband or LAN adaptor(perhaps with KallistiOS)?

I am working on a project, as you can gather from that.

I can do the rest, I just need someone to do that. I can provide the HL multiplayer for editing, and other utinsels. Whoever is interested, contact me on any of my messengers. I am always on, pretty much.

FrierTuck
August 22nd, 2006, 20:13
what are you trying to accomplish exactly?

SSaxdude
August 23rd, 2006, 00:24
I think he means creating online support for homebrew. That or online for the Dreamcast version of Half Life.

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 02:53
oh! i c, kudos to yah if you figure it out

Morph
August 23rd, 2006, 14:00
Ah, well, I am not really elaborating on anything unless someone is willing to give me as hand :)

Darksaviour69
August 23rd, 2006, 14:07
is it a port or you using the warez version?

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 17:37
evil spirits of warez begone *dances around with flaming stick chanting* i think an improved port would be good

Morph
August 23rd, 2006, 23:40
Again, I cannot mention anything at this time. The topic says nothing of warez, so why are you all worried?

FrierTuck
August 24th, 2006, 07:05
its like Judaism, when anyone says the name of Haman, your supposed to make loud noises, dont ask me about the particulars, i just happen to attend a friends temple services every once in a while for the hell of it

darkest_god
August 24th, 2006, 07:10
ohh well if you ask me i think that dreamcast is not a very good system to test with and phantasy star universe is gunna kick @**

henzenmann
August 24th, 2006, 10:34
Ah, well, I am not really elaborating on anything unless someone is willing to give me as hand :)

"I have a favor to ask, but I won't tell you what it is unless you promise to do it!" :D

Morph
August 24th, 2006, 17:51
its like Judaism, when anyone says the name of Haman, your supposed to make loud noises, dont ask me about the particulars, i just happen to attend a friends temple services every once in a while for the hell of it

Damnit, Frier. This is a serious topic. Quit making me giggle.

"I have a favor to ask, but I won't tell you what it is unless you promise to do it!" :D

Read the topic. I already gave enough details to constitute help. Therefore, your arguement is frivilous.

Ok, stop being off topic. This was meant for someone to contact me, not get 2 pages of posts :/

FrierTuck
August 24th, 2006, 18:14
sorry, its who i am

Morph
August 28th, 2006, 19:55
Well, transform into someone else for a few days and we should be set.

Runefox
August 28th, 2006, 20:52
I would imagine you're talking about the commercial Dreamcast version of Half-Life GOTY. If this is the case, you may be looking at doing it with Codebreaker. Modifying the game source and publishing the result is quite illegal, especially since the network routines are almost certainly built into the binary itself.

On that note, the source code for the PC version of Half-Life is available. It may be possible to either create a specialized port or to petition Valve for the source code for the Dreamcast version. This of course would require creating a completely separate game CD, which would mean you'd either have one boot CD that reads the game info off the game disc (best option, sounds legal to me given the source is available), or completely redistribute the modified software (which is very much illegal).

Either route you take, the Half-Life SDK can be gotten from http://www.planethalflife.com/half-life/files/ and has been made freely available by Valve. It's at the bottom of the page.

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 02:01
o rly?

Morph
August 29th, 2006, 02:15
RuneFox, read the whole thread. I said nothing of the leaked beta. ANYTHING involving it is illegal, not just modifying the source.

I was referring to the modification of the PC Half-Life GOTY.

I've been working on this entire subject a LOT longer than you. So stop trying to use those big fancy words (especially the ones you used in false context, yuck!) like it's intimidating.

READ THE TOPIC AND THE POSTS AND RESPOND ACCORDINGLY. YOU MUST DO BOTH. IF YOU DO ONE AND NOT THE OTHER, EXPECT FOR ME TO QUESTION YOUR INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT.

And, for FrierTuck:

http://image1.frappr.com/pics3/i/20060115/f/4/3/f43da764ae94d8ef0e2c47772c22c3801_mid.jpg

And remember kids, don't assume. Assume makes an ass out of you, not me.

FrierTuck
August 29th, 2006, 02:24
yay owls, heres one of my own, its not much but im proud

Runefox
August 30th, 2006, 01:32
First off, let me say that you've obviously ignored every word I said in lieu of making an ass of yourself, just because I posted in your thread and (apparently) wasn't any help to you. Way to go.

RuneFox, read the whole thread. I said nothing of the leaked beta. ANYTHING involving it is illegal, not just modifying the source.

Did I say anything about any leaked beta? What I was telling you was that regardless of what you're doing, it had better be all new content, because while the PC version of Half-Life's source is open to public consumption, the actual game resources are not. I was also trying to tell you that it would definitely be a lot of work to port such a thing, but you obviously already know that.

I was referring to the modification of the PC Half-Life GOTY.

Since you never explicitly said "PC version", I assumed (correctly, I might add) that perhaps you meant that version, which is why I pointed you to the PC Half-Life SDK and explained that it would be a lot of hard work to even port the PC version to Dreamcast, let alone redo the netcode. Read my post next time.

I've been working on this entire subject a LOT longer than you.

Well, excuse me for trying to help you out.

So stop trying to use those big fancy words (especially the ones you used in false context, yuck!) like it's intimidating.

I'm not trying to intimidate you in any way, merely trying to tell you what I have to say. You didn't specify anything remotely specific with regards to what you wanted to do, so I gave you the resources and advice I thought might have been of use to you. But obviously you're that much more advanced and intelligent than I that you have no use for anything I've told you thus far. I would also like to know which, if any, "big fancy words" I used out of context. I like to consider my writing abilities as rather well-developed, and any criticisms you have would be appreciated.

READ THE TOPIC AND THE POSTS AND RESPOND ACCORDINGLY. YOU MUST DO BOTH. IF YOU DO ONE AND NOT THE OTHER, EXPECT FOR ME TO QUESTION YOUR INTELLIGENCE QUOTIENT.

I read the topic and all the posts therein. You merely stated something to the effect of "I want the net code redone to use the Dreamcast's BBA", and the rest of the topic involved you jumping on people just like you did myself. You did, however, cleverly say that nobody said anything of warez when the allegations arose, rather than explicitly denying it, which makes me believe you actually are working on warez, and thus I believe that this topic should be closed.

I can't read your mind. I don't know how long you've been working on this, what exactly it is you've been working on (since you've neglected to say so throughout the entirety of this considerably pointless topic), or why you're working on it. I don't know what kinds of 1337 5k1llz you have, and I don't know how much work has been put into this. All I know is that you posted here looking for information regarding the conversion of netcode for a Dreamcast version of Half-Life, and nothing more, and therefore, I offered to help you by giving you advice and pointing you to resources.

In return, I get flamed and get my IQ called into question simply because I was not the one to post the answer to your million dollar question. I would honestly be surprised if anyone comes to your aid if they truly have read this topic, especially since virtually no information is given other than that you want net code recoded to use the BBA. That's real specific, there, spanky.

FrierTuck
August 30th, 2006, 03:40
That's real specific, there, spanky.
LOL "spanky" i need to use that one

FrierTuck
August 30th, 2006, 03:42
[QUOTE=Morph]
QUOTE]

am i in trouble as well?

double post, sorry, but i needed to do different quotes without really trying

Morph
September 4th, 2006, 20:36
Yeah, forget all of it. Forget it all, I am not bothering with it no more.

I would imagine you're talking about the commercial Dreamcast version of Half-Life GOTY.
Didn't mention the beta? Sorry, but you lose. Next time, try B. Ginner on Dr. Quandary's Secret Island.

Thank you, and have a nice day.

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 5th, 2006, 00:15
UH will this project not be 33/56K friendly? And I got this guy on MSN that could probally help you.

pyrokenx or quajaboy Hiii Im Chris thejohnson13 on AIM.

[email protected]

Runefox
September 5th, 2006, 00:20
No skin off my back if you think I'm an idiot, but in this case, it's like the frying pan calling the pot black. If you get this pissed off over an attempt at a helpful reply, you lose at life.

I foresee your project going nowhere. See if I'm wrong.

FrierTuck
September 6th, 2006, 02:51
UH will this project not be 33/56K friendly? And I got this guy on MSN that could probally help you.

pyrokenx or quajaboy Hiii Im Chris thejohnson13 on AIM.

[email protected]

im pretty sure it just got cancelled

Morph
September 6th, 2006, 03:02
I foresee your project going nowhere. See if I'm wrong.

Good job at predicting AFTER I cancelled it. Besides, how were you helpful again?

Skye
September 6th, 2006, 03:23
Let's not start a flame war. =)

Darksaviour69
September 6th, 2006, 09:20
Morph, it would have been better if you had explained what your trying to do completely, if you want to get any coders interest.

remember people post all the time stupid ideas ( dreamcast emu on the psp???? ) so you have to prove a little that you know what you talking about.

you first post was just too un clear :(