PDA

View Full Version : New questionable PSP rumors surface

wraggster
August 23rd, 2006, 00:17
Via PSPfanboy (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2006/08/22/new-questionable-psp-rumors-surface/)

I know how you all love rumors, and a new set of them have been making the rounds the last couple days. A gen[M]ay forum poster supposedly has access to all sorts of Playstation inside information, and he says Sony has huge plans for the future of the PSP and PS3.

Any kind of announcement like this should be met with a high degree of skeptivity, especially since a lot of his post is filled with blatant and hate-filled fanboyism.

Here's what he had to say:

The PSP's GPS peripheral is currently on hold;
The PSP PS1 emulator will be included in a firmware upgrade in October;
The Playstation online store for the PSP and PS3 will launch before Nov. 13;
A new PSP entertainment pack is coming next month. It will retail for $250 and will include a 1GB Memory Stick Pro Duo, ATV Offroad Fury: Blazin' Trails, and the Lords of Dogtown UMD. No headphones will be included;
Sony has plans to use the PS3-PSP connectivity similar to the Location Free Player in that you'll be able to see your PS3's screen on your PSP as long as they're both on the same network. However, this feature may not be ready in time for the PS3's launch but should be soon after;
Sony plans for more than 200 new PSP titles between now and the end of the year; and

The reason for the UMD flop can be blamed on Sony's "hands-off" approach concerning certain UMD stipulations, like pricing and extra content. Because of this, movie studios began releasing less than stellar movies with next to no special features. Sony isn't ready to give up on the UMD and plans to rectify this by instituting a $15 MSRP cap and all future UMDs must have the same features as their DVD equivalent.
Some of the information doesn't sound too far fetched, but unless Willy Wonka has secretly taken over at Sony, I don't think it will be able to push out more than 200 games within a little more than months. Oh well, it's fun to wonder, right?

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 00:18
There's still no talk of a keyboard. :(

Jmax
August 23rd, 2006, 00:20
I dont think we will be able to emulate the firmware for the PS1 emu. I think it will be tightly secured.

gamesquest1
August 23rd, 2006, 00:37
I dont think we will be able to emulate the firmware for the PS1 emu. I think it will be tightly secured.
Well i wouldnt put anything past the psp scene.....when they want something they will get it:P the more people want the faster we get and im pretty sure this is wanted pretty bad by quite a few ppl

.....well i hope lol....well i hope for a ps1 homebrew emu more like

DPyro
August 23rd, 2006, 00:37
I wouldnt be so sure about that :rolleyes:

charltonheston
August 23rd, 2006, 00:42
Good to hear that UMDs are still gonna hang around - if they're cheap and full of features i.e. include playable demos of licensed movie games e.g. the Kong movie UMD featuring a playable level of the Kong game then they could increase sales of both the game and UMDs- it's all in the marketing and special features is what made DVDs so popular. Bring in limited edition Movie UMDs, Special features on UMDs that can dump rare PS1 games onto memory sticks and maybe even 3D UMDs (of course with PSP 3D glasses accessories) - Hell Sony - just give me a job in Marketing or R&D and I'll have the PSP hit sales that the DS lite has never seen ;)

200 new PSP games could be possibe if they include emulated PS1 games - bring on Parapa the rapper !! :)

Admittedly this all could just be rumours... then again good marketing/managerial ploys are to use rumours to gauge general opinions before announcements are made - so who knows??

gamesquest1
August 23rd, 2006, 00:42
hey just whilst gps is mentioned........what is the usbgps.prx file for in the firmeware files i was thinking this is for the gps is this true and also there is a usbcam.prx

Pumped'Up
August 23rd, 2006, 00:47
The reason for the UMD flop can be blamed on Sony's "hands-off" approach concerning certain UMD stipulations, like pricing and extra content. Because of this, movie studios began releasing less than stellar movies with next to no special features. Sony isn't ready to give up on the UMD and plans to rectify this by instituting a $15 MSRP cap and all future UMDs must have the same features as their DVD equivalent.
Wow, whoever at Sony enforced this "hands-off" approach should be shot. Really, unbelievable...and it took them this f*ck'n long to realize that UMD movies sucked in comparison to cheaper and better DVDs.

Though I really hope their ressurrection of UMD does succeed - I don't the UMD drive to be completely useless......f*ck, Sony morons!

Btw, with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray out, $15 msrp cap is still to freakn high for UMD. These need to be capped at $10 to gain any success.

Pumped'Up
August 23rd, 2006, 00:50
I'm really looking forward to this. I really hope DevHook can work this out...as there's still no freakn way that I'm upgrading from 1.5 to whatever firmware this PS1 emu will reside on....

Cross
August 23rd, 2006, 00:52
Very Very Interesting... guess we shall see what is true and what is not.

Basil Zero
August 23rd, 2006, 01:09
wow, 200 games, thats quite a claim, just hope sony knows the difference between claiming something and actually doing something

V3N0M
August 23rd, 2006, 01:37

I think you underestimate our coders.

pubjoe
August 23rd, 2006, 02:01
Ermmm... These rumours are all made up and guessed. Don't pay any attention to him.

[edit]my original post was going to contain 1 word only. I opted for the polite version instead ;)

YourStillWithMe
August 23rd, 2006, 02:17
Jmax-i'm sorry but no one on here likes your attitude my friend, and nor do i (no offence) and PumpedUp-You have the right idea my friend.

1.50 forever! (On both my psp's)

SSaxdude
August 23rd, 2006, 02:18
Nobody would have believed me if I said 2.6 would be downgradeable a year ago. Anything with 1.5 is possible, with the skill of coders that is.

jwilds73
August 23rd, 2006, 02:19
The PSP's GPS peripheral is currently on hold;

Who cares we already got a homebrew GPS system.

And you will be required to repurchase PSX games you already own. Also many Third Party titles wont be available due to licensing restrictions

Sony has plans to use the PS3-PSP connectivity similar to the Location Free Player in that you'll be able to see your PS3's screen on your PSP as long as they're both on the same network. However, this feature may not be ready in time for the PS3's launch but should be soon after;

But still no UMD drive for the PS3 so no ability to play your PSP games on the couch as well as on the go.

Weren't Sony's own movies released at the exact same price point as the other movie studio's? Who are they kidding they thought they could sell us movies twice and at the same high price or higher for the UMD versions. Also the UMD is a one platform medium it is not a multiplatform licensed medium of course it's going to struggle with anything but games. If Sony was really backing this medium we would have UMD burners and music being released on this format as well as other devices featuring the UMD medium.

antoine
August 23rd, 2006, 02:41
hum interresting look forward for this

SILen(e
August 23rd, 2006, 04:04
I think the '200 games 'til the end of the year' will include the PSX-games that will be released for the emulator - but I still don't get it why everybody wants that PSX-Emulator or plans to update their psp to use it - you won't be able to put your own PSX-discs into your PSP and it won't be possible to use the PSX-rom you are using with your ePSXe-emulator with the psp-emulator - you'll have to BUY the games!!!

ByteMaster
August 23rd, 2006, 04:12
Actually it's probably more like a LIBRARY of 200 games by the end of the year:

"It's still a gaming system at its heart," he said, noting that there are about 120 games available for the PSP and another 100 coming by the end of the year.
Source: http://azstarnet.com/allheadlines/142708

M!ckeY
August 23rd, 2006, 04:23
hey video_freak, what would be the use of a keyboard :)

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 04:28
hey video_freak, what would be the use of a keyboard :)
Web Browsing
Instant Messaging
Typing stuff (essays, etc.)
Way easier than the on-screen crap

drew4237
August 23rd, 2006, 06:06
i never had a ps1 so im not that excited for the emulator.
i would much rather have a keyboard. not htat i really need it but i would really like it but then they would have to make the im program work with it. shouldnt be that hard.
even if we dont emulate the ps1 emu firmware right away it will eventually be hacked one way or another. just look at devhook.

donne
August 23rd, 2006, 08:23
Video_Freak really need that Mylo for sure :D

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 23rd, 2006, 08:31
I dont think we will be able to emulate the firmware for the PS1 emu. I think it will be tightly secured.LMAO $ony have thought the same about every FW they have released to plug holes they left only to open new ones as alwayz its only gonna be a matter of time b4 its decrypted.As for the new packs ect its about time $ony made a effoert to market the psp properly thus far its been poorly supported and a distinct lack of A list games has made ALOT of people shy away from it maybe now more people will take it up over the big N's handheld.

mr_nick666
August 23rd, 2006, 08:51
Web Browsing
Instant Messaging
Typing stuff (essays, etc.)
Way easier than the on-screen crap

Amen brother! ;) Keyboard would make me use the PSP for even more! (imagine the emulation possibilities!! :rolleyes: ) GPS is next on my list :p

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 12:49
the stuff about UMD movies will never be true

we dont have any extras on the discs because there is not enough capacity on the discs, KING KONG requires two UMDs just for the feature film !!!

the price would be nice, but i doubt it

GSA1508
August 23rd, 2006, 13:41
Let's face it, Rumors are like a two-side edge blade; can be bad for leading people into the wrong path and idea of a product; and on the other side can promote new ideas, and keep the "spark" of inventing new ways to bypass them or improve them.

But in the end until something is clear, it should never be taken seriously.

That is the reason I would like to propose to the moderators of this great website to create a new FORUM called "RUMORHILL". There all the unveried ideas, coments, and of course.. rumors, can be placed under the correct label, and be taken as they are properly.

What do you think?