PDA

View Full Version : Stick Shift or Automatic

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 02:35
you know, cars, and i mean real and simulated, i just got done with a stick shift lesson from my dad and i realize i much prefer auto. EDIT: I forgot to put a poll in, oh well.

Crimson_Lotus
August 23rd, 2006, 04:54
Stick for obvious reasons. More mileage and if your battery goes out all you need is a push. My Fiat X1/9 gets 35-40 mpg. It's not a fun thing to learn, but it is a must have just in case.

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 05:36
i think i almoast blew up my dads VW Cabrio earlier lol, nowhere near crashing though w00t

BL4Z3D247
August 23rd, 2006, 06:10
sticks better :D but i have an auto, but i love drivin' stick, its much more fun :)

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 06:14
more complicated seems like a better word for me, i guess i need to be able to drive regularly (auto) first lol

BL4Z3D247
August 23rd, 2006, 06:18
well if u learn stick now u can get it outta the way, cuz anyone can drive an automatic ;)

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 06:20
sticks better :D but i have an auto, but i love drivin' stick, its much more fun :)
Oh I love drivin' the stick if you know what I mean. ;)

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 06:20
even a trained monkey, such as myself lol, but yah, i just tend to not let out on the clutch slow enough and not have enough gas at other times

BrooksyX
August 23rd, 2006, 06:24
Sticks are funner, but autos are alot easier.

But sticks arnt that hard to learn. I learned about 5 months ago and it only took me 20 min to get it down.

BoneyCork
August 23rd, 2006, 11:54
Stick because I'm British. Rarely see anybody driving an automatic over here...

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 17:25
you guys drive on the left (right) side of the road, were on the right (wrong) side lol, oh boy, if i ever go traveliong im taking cabs anywhere cause i dont wanna be responsible for countless wrong side of the road related accidents

Dull Blade
August 23rd, 2006, 17:53
I drive an 88 trans am, any ways go stick, auto's take al the fun out of driving. Sticks last longer, and if you learn to drive stick, then you can drive both. example if you go to europe, you'll be in hot water because automatics are almost unheard of. in my opinion stick shift is more desirable and probably a better resale value. it took a bit of finding to get a stick trans am

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 17:58
proably very true, thats why i am in fact continueing my training in the ancient art of stick shift

Hawq
August 23rd, 2006, 18:57
Stick because I'm British. Rarely see anybody driving an automatic over here...
Same here, plus I prefer the extra involvement in a manual, automatic just wouldnt feel right

Shilo
August 23rd, 2006, 22:30
Personly I think that a Stick Shift is alot better. Automatics are alot easyer to drive (my 76 Chevy Nova is an auto) but I think that driving a stick is a lot more fun :) I have had years of practice driving in our field in my dad's truck (3spd with granny), so when I got my learners I was about to hop in and go :)

BTW My uncle would always say, "I don't know how to drive an automatic." LOL

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 23:13
Your Uncle's funny Shilo. I live in the US, so automatic is pretty much the only way to go. :)

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 23:31
yah, id drive more auot if it wasnt for the fact that if dont learn to drive on my dads VW Cabrio (stick) ill have to learn on his Ford F150 (auto but a beast on the road) or my moms Ford Freestlye (also a beast) im driving the samll car because without the stick id be really easy to drive

SSaxdude
August 23rd, 2006, 23:41
I drive automatic but my dad drives stick. What can I say I'm only 15! I'll probably get a cheap car with a manual transmittion when I'm out of college or something.

ACID
August 23rd, 2006, 23:43
Oh I love drivin' the stick if you know what I mean. ;)
LOL that doesnt sound right if you know what i mean. LOL

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 23:44
That's the joke...hehe.....
That reminds me.... ;)

FrierTuck
August 24th, 2006, 07:02
lol, thats almoast as bad as talking about how someone else was doing the stick shift for you lol again

Hawq
August 24th, 2006, 19:04
It certainly doesnt if you've seen a certain video that floats around the interwub

FrierTuck
August 24th, 2006, 23:20
ok, this is getting out of hand (lol, another pun)

AvengedSevenfold Fan
September 3rd, 2006, 03:10
i like stick, its more fun. (or it seems so) im not old enough to drive, but i drive a dirtbike, and u have to switch gears. its the same exact way u would with a car. so i can pretty much drive a stick, even though ive never dunit.

stotheamuel
September 3rd, 2006, 03:41
**** driving... i dont want a car :P

ACID
September 3rd, 2006, 03:43
**** driving... i dont want a car :P
What you dont want a car are you insane. Beats a bike thats for sure.

stotheamuel
September 3rd, 2006, 03:50
(insert insanely high number here) dollars Cash-money!

and i have none to spare

ACID
September 3rd, 2006, 03:52
Hey its life you have to work for what you want. It took me 5 months so be able to buy mi porche 911 turbo. Now thats a car

M!ckeY
September 3rd, 2006, 04:11
whoa, that car is too expensive

stotheamuel
September 3rd, 2006, 04:15
yeah... but i also am car-retarded so i dont want to learn

ACID
September 3rd, 2006, 04:21
whoa, that car is too expensive
Not really only 93,000 usd:eek:

stotheamuel
September 3rd, 2006, 04:21
so your saying that you'll buy me a ps3...what? lol

ACID
September 3rd, 2006, 04:23
so your saying that you'll buy me a ps3...what? lol
Nope i ll buy mi kid one in your name. LOL
Hey it pays of spending 8 years to study a PHD dont you think.

stotheamuel
September 3rd, 2006, 04:26
haha... yeah... money earned! sweat and blood...

I will definatly want to go into college for a while...i personally wont accept any colleges lower than harvord.. its my back-up.

ACID
September 3rd, 2006, 04:29
haha... yeah... money earned! sweat and blood...

I will definitely want to go into college for a while...i personally wont accept any colleges lower than harvord.. its my back-up.
dame are you really that smart. I only went to PENN STATE & MIT. And mi spelling still stinks.:(

TEAL DRAGON128
September 3rd, 2006, 05:19

I agree.

It's good to learn Stick Shift.

You never know, you might need to drive your buddy's car if he passes out. lol

M!ckeY
September 3rd, 2006, 06:44
i drive an automatic :)

Kaiser
September 3rd, 2006, 07:50
You never know, you might need to drive your buddy's car if he passes out. lol

Definately :)

I Prefer stick. Keeps me awake when driving. Then again I don't drive often anyways...

FrierTuck
September 3rd, 2006, 16:09
hmm, well the way it looks im going to have tolearn it if i want my dads car lol

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 6th, 2006, 12:46
(insert insanely high number here) dollars Cash-money!

and i have none to spare
mine cost me 65 buckaroos.

yeah. sure as hell beats getting caught in the rain when u rode to game crazy in the next town. it beats driving in the cold and it beats dtopping ur value tea and scraping yourself up. sure as hell beats being honked at and havin shit thrown on u by every redneck in town.

but my VW '87 Fox was a stick. I find it interesting alot of ppl on this site like sticks. I drive the stick because I like using my hand, and it m,akes me feel like a man and thats not a dumb euphenism either. of course the burnt out clutch is the reason my car stop on the road and the pigs had it towed. a 60 buck clutch vs an 85 buck tow. you can't believe how this felt.

GobboFett
September 6th, 2006, 13:21
I was first learning to drive a stick but I ended up buying an auto about a week after starting to learn. So after that point I got too used to my auto and didn't care about learning stick. I live in Australia and only got my P's a week ago, long live my Camira! :D

Dull Blade
September 8th, 2006, 00:07
I find it interesting alot of ppl on this site like sticks.

The main reason is because this is a british website (.co.uk is like englands .ca) and in england the auto tranny is almost unheard of. I drive stick for 2 reasons,
1) i'm originally fron england
2) My car is a Trans am and it just seems wrong to do an auto in a sports car.

FrierTuck
September 8th, 2006, 02:06
Good News i successfully drove to my friends house about 10 minutes away and didnt die, but it was with an auto so idk

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 8th, 2006, 10:35
yea i forgot about the domain name thing and sumtimes i forget your redcoats and not Americans. sry.

Darksaviour69
September 8th, 2006, 11:52
co.uk = uk, not england .... and Automatic is for pussies ;)

Shilo
September 9th, 2006, 00:30
Automatic is for pussies ;)

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! True :D

ACID
September 9th, 2006, 01:07
co.uk = uk, not england .... and Automatic is for pussies ;)
I agree one million %:)

Dull Blade
September 9th, 2006, 02:18
Oh my wrong doing. co.uk = UK, I wasn't really thinking strait. Since Im English, i think england when i here UK.

Skye
September 9th, 2006, 06:19
I wish my mustang was a manual. I really need/want to do a manual conversion. That would be awesome.

rokobungi
September 9th, 2006, 08:37
Drove stick for 4 years on an automatic right now.. (only driven for 8) I swear they're engineered to keep the engine revs too high so you'll use more gas but they'll stay in the higher gear if I speed up just that extra bit and then back off (cruise controll is even worse it breaks with the engine to bleed off speed when it should just keep that bit of momentum)

I've pop started once that's tough with one person if you don't have an incline

FrierTuck
September 10th, 2006, 05:12
pop start? wth? i like popcorn, but putting iit in your gas tank may be a bad idea

ACID
September 10th, 2006, 05:15
I think he thinks its a back to the future car. LOL

FrierTuck
September 10th, 2006, 05:20
well, that was a zap start

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 10th, 2006, 07:08
UK = England like United Arab Republic = Egypt, Sénégambia = Senegal, and so on. Although there were formal acts of unions between most countries represented there is no question England is paramount. Realist thought dictates such..