PDA

View Full Version : Torrents, limewire, and Kazaa: The horrible secret

Shadowblind
August 23rd, 2006, 05:09
About torrents, limewire, and kazaa

DONT USE THEM.

I got over 40,000 invisible spams and virus, most of which were W32/generic.m.

I never even knew, no virus protects picked em up.

if you do use torrents, try to find this directory through typing it in at the the file directory at the top of the file, not manually searching (it wont appear manually)

C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\Complete

If you can find that, its almost assured that is a nesting grounds for viruses. Most of the files should be things you've never seen before. But be warned, if you try to delete them too fast, your comp may freeze. Delete only a few at a time to avoid freezes.

also, if you have a shared folder, there is almost ALWAYS gonna be a virus nest there as well if you use limewire or Kazaa. You can't find the viruses as easily as the torrent viruses. You will most likely have to delete the whole Shared file.

I can't say much for the things you downloaded, either. They most likely contain spamware viruses.

Dont suffer the same fate my computer underwent, but the valient efforts of McAfee spamware remover helped remove some pf the viruses, the rest I had to do by hand. Even now, I still cannot create computer backgrounds.

Just be warned, these are the deadliest ways to destroy a computer.

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 05:38
dude, limewire and such this is true but im confident Bit Torrent is innocent, and heres a tip, go into your reg settings and change super hidden files to viewable, i got rid of 5 gigs of files i didnt know existed, its like i was downloading the enite limewire network or something lol

Shadowblind
August 23rd, 2006, 05:59
Bit torrent, huh? Thats what I used.

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 06:04
im telling you man, limewire, if you ever used any other p2p, that was what was responsible, ive been using BT for two years running, never had a single problem, but on another pc, with limewire, there was a big problem if you know what i mean lol, but what client are/were you using?

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 06:11
Thanks for the tips Shadowblind.
I'm sorry about your computer... :(

souLLy
August 23rd, 2006, 07:55
just be picky about what you download on things like that. As in don't download files called KornBritneySpearsNudePhotosNEWSongHotXXX.jpg.exe and if you're downloading programmes, virus scan them before opening. It's good to have ad-aware and an anti-virus programme like avast running too.

Gizmo356
August 23rd, 2006, 08:02
yeah what he said

quzar
August 23rd, 2006, 11:15
The #1 thing that viruses attack is user stupidity.

NoQuarter
August 23rd, 2006, 11:32
Scanning does no good as new viruses pop up every day,linux is a slightly safer route as most viruses and trojans are written for windows.Just don't get online as root,and after downloading large amounts of files delete the user(after backing up your data of course. file sharing networks open ports into your computer which is an open door to all sorts of things

Let me rephrase that, scanning documents is a good idea, it just doesn't cover the newest trojans or viruses.

BoneyCork
August 23rd, 2006, 11:53
I've been using torrents for years and have absolutely no problems. In fact my past 2 computers have been the most stable I have ever had.

If you use decent trackers with a good reputation there is nothing to worry about.

NoQuarter
August 23rd, 2006, 12:10
What torrent program do you use?

The Hombrew Hunter
August 23rd, 2006, 16:08
Emule seems to be safe for me. I scan them all, and nothing seems to happen to me.

Now pron sites. Those are dangerous.

Not...not that I've ever been to one...>.><.<

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 17:32
Yah, what BT client is everyone on, i use Bit Tornado, i dont know why, its slow, high process using, but for some reason i cant bring myself to switch clients lol, but yah, we shouldnt anger the bit torrent gods by sullying there good name on earth, or they may decide to punish us all with 100 years of no seeds and only live albulms lol

Dull Blade
August 23rd, 2006, 17:57
here's the solution to our spyware and virus problems. its called the MAC no virusus no spyware, do all the p2p and torrent you want. I'm about 500$ awy from an ibook.

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 18:00
or, join the local sneaker net or make friends with p2p giants in your area and have them download for you (i have a bunch of cheap skate friends who expect me to get them stuff lol)

kando
August 23rd, 2006, 19:48
I've been using torrents for years and have absolutely no problems. In fact my past 2 computers have been the most stable I have ever had.

If you use decent trackers with a good reputation there is nothing to worry about.

i agree....HOWEVER it is also easy to spot the bad stuff, as its usually an exe and is much smaller than it should be....

kazaa and limewire, esp for the...*ahem*...adult things, or programs...usually end up with spyware of some sorts. use for music only.

and only if you already own the music/movies/programs!

i do not condone piracy.

:D

here's the solution to our spyware and virus problems. its called the MAC no virusus no spyware, do all the p2p and torrent you want. I'm about 500$ awy from an ibook.

its so true! i cant bring myself to do it but this is 100% true :) many ppl dont know this....

cheers!

Accordion
August 23rd, 2006, 20:39

well…up until the switch to intel from power pc architeture, you would have been correct, but know macs are basically normal pc hardware mac bbased viruses will undoubtedly rise.
at the moment though its pretty safe, all ive seen so far are test trojans, which dont actually DO anything, except prove a point

ExcruciationX
August 23rd, 2006, 21:32
I have not had a problem with Emule, our Bittorrent. Never used Limewire, but I have heard bad things about it. And don't use UseNeXT! It's a scam!

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 22:07
whats that BT p2p prog, X something, that was fun

Dull Blade
August 23rd, 2006, 23:10
I geuss I lies, aparently ther are some mac virus'. but the number pales in comparison to the number of a pc (they most seem to infect lesser operating systems like mac os 7 as aposed to os x). here's some info http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/macintosh-faq/

I express some what of a distast to apples recent switch to intel, how is it a MAC if its made of a PC?!?

Video_freak
August 23rd, 2006, 23:11
I geuss I lies, aparently ther are some mac virus'. but the number pales in comparison to the number of a pc (they most seem to infect lesser operating systems like mac os 7 as aposed to os x). here's some info http://www.faqs.org/faqs/computer-virus/macintosh-faq/
Wow! It's only a matter of time I say... :(

FrierTuck
August 23rd, 2006, 23:34
i think we should do as much as possible by sneaker net, there are no viruses or creepy old guys involved

SSaxdude
August 23rd, 2006, 23:36
I've been using Azureus and it works like a dream. I've downloaded tons of crap and I've had no problems.

Accordion
August 24th, 2006, 00:20
we all know what youve been downloading SSaxdude, you pirate!!!

yaustar
August 24th, 2006, 02:12
If you are p2ping without a decent firewall, you are asking for trouble. Got hit by the same virus twice on Emule by turning the firewall off.

I now have a stupid level of protection on my home network and have a server running that also does my BTing for the past year. No problems so far.

Note that Kazaa had spyware originally when you installed it.

kando
August 24th, 2006, 03:09
ANYTHING can have a virus....but viruses rely on exploits, and the macs have very few.....*cough* windows, on the other hand....heres an easy way to compare:

theres a search engine for cracks/passwords out there...

if you go there with microsoft INTERNET EXPLORER you will get hundreds of spyware installed without having to click a thing.

with FIREFOX you get nothing

so i guess firefox == mac :P

Shadowblind
August 24th, 2006, 03:15
just be picky about what you download on things like that. As in don't download files called KornBritneySpearsNudePhotosNEWSongHotXXX.jpg.exe and if you're downloading programmes, virus scan them before opening. It's good to have ad-aware and an anti-virus programme like avast running too.

Cant say I did. I downloaded only PSX ROMs. FFVII, and Doom I & Doom II

kando
August 24th, 2006, 03:35
doom 1...doom 2....exe files...could very well be your source?

instead of torrents, search google for "abandonware"....much safer for old, outdated games off html :)

FrierTuck
August 24th, 2006, 06:49
that is an awesome site, they got downsized about 6 months back or so because they removed all the copy protected games, but still, that site is amazing