PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation 3 to join Folding@Home for Cure@PS3

wraggster
August 24th, 2006, 00:12
There's no denying it, even though the PlayStation 3 may be the most late, most expensive, and most, um, well ventilated of this this generation's consoles, Sony's also going out of their way to make the device appear as versatile as possible. So hell, if your machine is going to burn energy when not in use, best to put that power suck toward a good cause, right? Stanford and Sony have announced that PlayStation 3s will be able to participate in Cure@PS3, making gamers' consoles massively parallelized computing nodes for the Folding@Home project.Right up top is a taste of the eye candy that awaits those who dedicate their Cell processor to stamping out cancer with the Stanford crew, but the veneer doesn't stop there: click on for a slew of sexy new PS3 pics that just surfaced.

Screens Via Comments

jerrt
August 24th, 2006, 16:37
i saw those screen shots and some of the other new ones and i'm glad to say that thing is beautiful. I can' wait to have my very own.

I am also really happy to see that sony is going to have a purpse for all those empty cpu cycles that the ps3 will have now that it is going to be running on an always on sort of basis. i just hope i can set it up to contribute to a team of my own, or to hack a day which is where my help goes to now.

what i want to know is if they will have a version of folding@ that will utilize the cell to its fullest and i wonder how much faster this is going to help the folding at home project get done. i can't wait. i'm stoked.