PDA

View Full Version : Joystiq quick visit: Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops

wraggster
August 24th, 2006, 00:46
News via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/08/23/joystiq-quick-visit-metal-gear-solid-portable-ops/)

The most important aspect of any PSP game, especially shooters, is controls. They're always a concern, and more times than not, a huge problem -- I blame that stupid nub. Sadly, Portable Ops was not able to leap this tall hurdle for PSP developers. While the gameplay was nicely paced and it was fun to roam and take out my enemies, the controls were just not as solid as they could have been had the PSP been a tad more smartly designed for these kinds of games.

The controls work like this: Left Shoulder: brings up weapon; Right Shoulder: first person; Directional Pad Left, Right: strafe; Square: attack, shoot when weapon is equipped, melee when not; X: duck or tumble roll; O: switch weapons; Triangle: stealth; Analog: move around.

Even though moving your player around, aiming, and shooting were a bit on the shaky side, the game is a positive step in the right direction for PSP users. The fact that it will take advantage of PSP infrastructure play, makes the game even more of a must-have than just having Metal Gear Solid slapped onto the box.

The storyline will take place after the events of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and allow players to learn more about their favorite characters and how the events of later Metal Gear games happened.

Here are some key features:

Original storyline set in 1970 featuring Big Boss
Returning cast of characters including Para-Medic, Major Zero, Sigint and more
Recruit NPCs with different abilities to create a custom fighting force
Fully voiced cinematics featuring 3D models and original artwork from renowned illustrator Ashley Wood
New 3D camera optimized for play on the PSP system
Connect to wireless access points to recruit new comrades -- each access point generates a unique group of allies
Unique new multiplayer modes
Wide variety of multiplayer-specific environments
Use your squadron of comrades in online play and recruit new members only available in multiplayer
New "White Flag" system -- choose to surrender and live to fight again or fight tthe death until the next game begins
Trade squad members online with other players

Many Screens at the link above

Napalm-Death
August 24th, 2006, 00:50
I guess I can safely think that the game will be very good despite the analog being a problem.

eazy-e
August 24th, 2006, 00:53
cant wait to play da game

slik da relic
August 24th, 2006, 01:38
the biggest and DUMBEST ommision from the PSP was that right analog stick... i mean, i need to be in those meetings sometimes. thats why im so glad we got homebrew. how can u not have 2 sticks? its worse than not havin 8 buttons. there are alot of games i wont even pick up and play bcuz of the one stick... totally dumb!

da relic

Cloud_35
August 24th, 2006, 03:51
That's good :)!

But what about the grandfather of Johnny Sasaki??

(any girls???)

ACID
August 24th, 2006, 10:33
Sounds great.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 24th, 2006, 17:45
this is a must buy game for all psp users!!!!

QueadlunnRau
August 24th, 2006, 20:08
the biggest and DUMBEST ommision from the PSP was that right analog stick... i mean, i need to be in those meetings sometimes. thats why im so glad we got homebrew. how can u not have 2 sticks? its worse than not havin 8 buttons. there are alot of games i wont even pick up and play bcuz of the one stick... totally dumb!

da relic

I agree, Sony really pushed out the dual analog controllers which is now STANDARD for every game system, I mean seriously how could the company who pushed dual sticks omitt one from one of it's own products??? Would it really have taken that much more room on the PSP?

Seriously Sony wtf were you thinking ... Why make a portable system capable of playing nice FPS but take away one of the tools to run them?