PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy III Playtest

wraggster
August 24th, 2006, 01:31
Heres an excerpt

Forgive me if I seem overly worried, but usually, handing off your most prized franchise to an outside developer always seems really dodgy. Especially when said franchise is Final Fantasy, a license to print money if there ever was one. Developed by Matrix Software, with the supervision of Square-Enix, the Nintendo DS version of Final Fantasy III has finally arrived. Fully remade with new graphics, audio and several gameplay changes, this is the first Final Fantasy title to appear on the DS, and it also marks the first time that this particular title has ever appeared outside of Japan.

To get things out of the way, there are actually several differences between the two versions, aside from the obvious visual and audio overhauls. First off, the NES version of the game featured four generic characters that you controlled at the beginning of the game. In the DS version, you start off with one character named Luneth, and you'll eventually pick up the rest of your party along the way. The other characters are Arc, Refia and Ingus, all of whom have significant back stories instead of being simple, generic characters found in the NES version. Since you only start with one character that means choosing jobs - which we'll explain later - also happens later on in the game. Basically, the story starts off with Luneth being approached by one of the great crystals, and tells him of the peril that's facing the world. The game's story moves fairly quickly, and within the first two hours, you're going to get way more story and cool gear than you would in the first ten hours of any other modern RPG. But that's how all of the old school RPGs are; the pacing is excellent and it rarely skips a beat.

Full Article (http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/727/727506p1.html)

iball
August 24th, 2006, 07:48
I've played a little of the Japanese version and let me tell you...you WANT this game when the English version is released.
The music and gameplay are damn familiar to FF fans.
The main intro and credits are beautiful as well.

Gizmo356
August 24th, 2006, 08:16
sounds good

basilb
August 24th, 2006, 10:12
Heres an excerpt

Basically, the story starts off with Luneth being approached by one of the great crystals, and tells him of the peril that's facing the world...

Full Article (http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/727/727506p1.html)

im pretty sure Luneth is a girl

ACID
August 24th, 2006, 10:18
Wow more FF cant wait to play it. NOT

The Hombrew Hunter
August 24th, 2006, 11:42
Acid, don't be like that. FF3 was the most KICKASS FF. 1,2, and 3 didn't suck.

No basilb, I believe Luneth is a "he". In one of the trailers, it shows artwork before showing the 3d model, and Luneth is clearly male.

GobboFett
August 24th, 2006, 13:09
Any oldschool D&D players remember the "N" box that you could check for your character's sex, maybe Luneth ticked that when he started?
</rant>

Looks absolutely AWESOME and I seriously can't wait for the english version. From the looks of it, it's difficulty has been turned down like with just getting one character at the start. Hopefully tho this will be a good thing and bosses like Garuda and the Dark Crystal guardians will be ACTUALLY possible ;)

iball
August 24th, 2006, 13:23
Trust me, the difficulty has NOT been turned down in the Japanese version.
Just getting out of the caves alive in the beginning of the game is a chore.