PDA

View Full Version : Online passes fail to dent used game sales

wraggster
October 7th, 2010, 20:24
Publishers' efforts to stem sales of used games by introducing online passes have so far been ineffective, according to leading UK retailer GAME.

GAME CEO Ian Shepherd told MCV, “Certainly, publishers are using content to extend the life of games to extend the reasons to keep them. That’s a good thing, as it’s good for us and we’ll sell more of the games,”

“No, we’ve not seen the changes in the commercial nature of how some games have launched make any impact on the trade-in category,” he added. “It’s still a strong part of our business.”

EA, Sony and THQ have all recently introduced extra charges for users who have bought a used copy of one of their games and want to access online content.

In June, EA Sports boss Peter Moore explained, "One thing I have to do, and it's my job, and my development team's job, and my marketing team's job, is make you not want to trade the game in."

If GAME is to be believed, he'll need to try a little harder.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-07-online-passes-fail-to-dent-used-game-sales

nyder
October 8th, 2010, 05:18
Here's what i don't understand. Let's say you make 100k copies of game x. So you made 100k, and you know that if you sell all of them, your going to have 100k people using the network for that game.

Someone selling their game, doesn't affect that 100k, unless they are counting on people not playing the game anymore and freeing the network for others.

Personally, i think their greed is going to be their downfall.