PDA

View Full Version : Ds Vnc V0.1

wraggster
August 24th, 2006, 23:03
Thoduv (http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3013.0.html) has updated his entry into the Neoflash Coding Comp, heres the details:

Here's my little entry !

DSVNC
> Version 0.1
> Remote Framebuffer client for NDS.
> By Thoduv (http://thoduv.drunkencoders.com | ).
> Distributed under the GPL license (see COPYING file).

DSVNC is a VNC client for Nintendo DS.
VNC is a protocol that allows the client to control the computer that runs the server: the client sees the screen of the server and can control its keyboard and mouse.
DSVNC is a client that runs on the DS.

( How to use )

First you must install a VNC server on the computer you want to control. Famous/Best VNC client/servers are "RealVNC" (for Windows) and "TightVNC" (for Linux).
Download one of them and install it, then run the server.

> Note for Linux users: if you want yo share your current desktop instead of starting a new X session, you may uses the "X11VNC" server.

Then, have a way to run DS homebrew and launch DSVNC. On the top screen, you will see explanations in the gray box, and on the bottom screen you will see the menus.
To connect easily a VNC server, uses "Quickly connect to another server".
Then, you have to type the server's adress (IP or Hostname), and a password if you specified one on your server. Then you will be connected to the server. See "Controls when connected" paragraph for more infos.

> Note: The first reception of the screen image can be a little long (5 to 10 seconds), depending of your network speed and your screen resolution.
> Note: If your wireless network is very slow and your screen is very big, DSVNC will be too slow for being usable. (Not my fault if Nintendo locked Wifi to 2Mbps)Neoflash MK2/3, ...), your options will be written on a "dsvnc.ini" file at root of your CF/SD.

( Controls when connected )

Stylus: - When global view on touch screen, selects the zoomed zone.
- When zoomed zone on touch screen, controls mouse. Right/left (depending of L/R held or not) click if touched.
Pad: Move.
ABXY: Same as pad (easier for left-handled people).
L/R: Change mouse button (right button while held).
Select: Show/Hide keyboard.
Start: Swap screens.
L+R+Start+Select: Disconnects and go back to main menu.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Weasel211
August 26th, 2006, 01:15
works good. thx

kcajblue
September 3rd, 2006, 00:12
how do you control the mouse? it doesnt work on the zoomed in screen while holding L or R.

Talka1ot
September 3rd, 2006, 02:09
So wait, I can use my home computer from my DS?
Does that include streaming my audio and browsing my internet and shit? Or what is exactly the extent of this tool? I'm not good with servers, sorry.

brennxn
September 3rd, 2006, 20:30
What is wrong with you people? Why don't you just read the description and try it out for yourself? This forum is ridiculous.

Talka1ot
September 3rd, 2006, 23:20
What is wrong with you people? Why don't you just read the description and try it out for yourself? This forum is ridiculous.

NO shit, I spent 30 minutes searching for this. But the description did not provide me exactly WHAT it did, only how to do it.

brennxn
September 3rd, 2006, 23:25
DSVNC is a VNC client for Nintendo DS.
VNC is a protocol that allows the client to control the computer that runs the server: the client sees the screen of the server and can control its keyboard and mouse.

That states exactly what VNC is and what it does, and bleow it, it tells how to use it. How much more information do you need?

Talka1ot
September 4th, 2006, 00:33
That states exactly what VNC is and what it does, and bleow it, it tells how to use it. How much more information do you need?

So this would allow use for IE, correct? As well as aim and MSN etc. I would be able to view and controll anything, including games? Would I be able to access files from that computer and transfer them to my DS?

Dave the Rave
September 4th, 2006, 00:57
Hmm, it couldn't connect to my Wifi network even though it works fine when gaming.

Talka1ot
September 4th, 2006, 01:30
After some experimentation the new version does not work for me, only the one released on the 20th. And that one does connect to my network, but it can't seem to connect to the server(that three letter acronym I'm blanking on right now is in there too, TCP?)

Any suggestions?

errbotijo
September 5th, 2006, 21:57
As for the people that havenīt used VNC yet, I will explain it very clearly, I hope.
There are two parts: the client and the server. You put the server on the computer. So what is the point of doing so? So that the client can do things remotely. How is that accomplished? The client sees the screen of the server, and the client controls the mouse and keyboard of the server (might not be the case here).
So how is that helpful? Microsoft Windows has something like that that is called Remote Assistance. Most of the things apply here. Symantec offers also Pc Anywhere. Both programs do basically the same. I found these programs interesting when I had to try to configure a streaming server while I was 2000 km away, because my family does not know how this works at all.
As a personal matter, I prefer to view the remote desktop without the need of scrolling. Anyhow, it might not be very useful for internet browsing at all, as bandwith requeriments might become too high!
Just try it and see it for yourself.

Talka1ot
September 6th, 2006, 01:59
Trust me I tried, it took forever to get it to work since I've never used VNC before.

Anyways, it works now. If you disable all the frills and extra programming you run(I run a bunch of crap, StyleXP and stuff like that) you can actually browse non-flash sites quickly, and flash sites a bit slowly. It's still good use though, but I have a laptop so it's not worth it fo me.

kcajblue
September 6th, 2006, 02:31
i wish i had a laptop

dfccommander
September 28th, 2006, 08:49
it's slow, but amazingly, it works. it'll freak out some of my friends when they see it in action.

claw22000
December 12th, 2006, 20:12
I saw this and was very excited that there might be something out there that puts winDS to Shame. How ever I havn't used a VNC server in years since RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) was inplemented in XP. Of course I had to go download VNC. There current version is 4.1.2, and I can't seem to get it to connect. I did notice if I held down the L/R buttons it shows the error log on the DS and it shows its connection to the wireless is good but the TCP connect to the server isn't. Any Suggerstions or should I just downgrade to and older version if I can find one? Thanks

Claw

Zarigis
January 12th, 2007, 18:59
It seems to work.. kind of. I would guage it's speed as "painfully slow"

Ape3000
February 28th, 2007, 13:56
I can't connect to my server write access. In view-only mode it works fine. It outputs(write mode):
Connection via WFC data
Connected successfully!
[then it stucks(white screen)]

microsoft
June 20th, 2007, 02:03
Well, it sucks, horribly. Also the REALVNC program gave me a VIRUS!!!!

outermon
June 30th, 2007, 05:07
I cannot right in words how much i love this NDS homebrew app. It works incredibly fast when you take into consideration what it does. If theres anything like this that will work for Mac, please tell me (or if there is a way to get this one to work for Mac, tell me. (I tried running a Mac VNC server already).

The one thing i would like to say is i want to see some updates. Mostly to fix the crappy UI before you connect. I can never connect to teh first IP on the list, and the list wont hold more than 2 IPs. Also, i would like to see something done about how i barely tap a letter, and it types like 10 of them.

outermon
June 30th, 2007, 05:32
Really sorry for double-post, but i hav a question about how this app gets its Wifi info.

Does it go to the first of the 3 connection settings on your DS or does it check all 3? Or does it search for a Wifi spot on its own (it really doesnt seem like it does).

outermon
July 5th, 2007, 01:10
Ok, i think i know why some people can connect to WFC and some cant. From what I've seen, this homebrew only works on the old DS. How did i notice this? 2 days ago I purchased a DS lite. I transfered the Wifi configurations from my old DS to my new one, and it doesnt work on my new one. Then i went back to my old one, re-put in my wifi settings manually, and got it to work on my old DS again.

BTW, I'm mad.

DanTheManMS
July 5th, 2007, 01:22
It's an old app and therefore uses the older wifi lib that was created before the DSLite was released. It was later found that Lites require different code, so updates were released to the wifilib, but programs must be recompiled to take advantage of it.