PDA

View Full Version : Miyamoto: 'Making Mario games is easy'

wraggster
October 12th, 2010, 12:23
Super Mario games have, for 25 years, been some of the best in the business. But creating them was no sweat for Shigeru Miyamoto.

It would seem that the Mario creator's typical Japanese humbleness has escaped him, but Miyamoto says it's all thanks to advances in technology, not his mad skills.

Speaking in the latest 'Iwata Speaks' interview (which was conducted instead by Japanese copywriter, author and game designer Shigesato Itoi), Miyamoto said: "Looking back, what's been easy about making the Mario games is that they could naturally change along with the progress of technology.

"In the same way, as technology advances, the Mario games change, too. On the contrary, books have basically always been made the same way. If it had been necessary to keep making Mario games in the same way like that, we couldn't have done it. In that way, making the Mario games has been easy."

Itoi suggests it's been easy because of Miyamoto's "work method", but Miyamoto reaffirms that it was simply a case of following technology. "If it weren't for that, I don't think I could have stuck with it this far," he said.

He goes on to reveal he's always wanted to invent something like the Rubik's Cube or become a Manga artist, but has never really tried, and so he concludes: "I must be taking it easy".

Yeah. Inventing and evolving the world's biggest game character for 25 years - real lazy, that.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269161?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS