PDA

View Full Version : Analyst: Cheap PS3 Identical to Costly 360. Price Similar to PSOne

wraggster
August 25th, 2006, 16:14
To date, Michael Pachter, analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities, has made some of the juicier comments on the emerging PlayStation 3 to come from the financial sector, claiming that in real-terms, the PlayStation 3 shares much of its commercial DNA with the Xbox 360.

"PS3 will sell out at $499. It may sound like a lot of money but is certainly not significantly more in inflation-adjusted dollars than the PS1 at $300 in 1995. The "cheap" PS3 and the "expensive" 360 are identical in all respects, save for the Blu-ray drive. Both have similar processors, 20GB hard drives, and DVI cable interfaces that will support 720p high definition," Pacter told Gamespot.

Indeed, Pacter believes the only difference lies in the pricing options for the consoles' high-definition movie platforms. "The difference in price is $100, so if you like Sony more and want a relatively inexpensive option to buy into high-definition movies, the cost is probably justified. In other words, consumers will compare the $499 PS3 to the $399 Xbox 360 and will likely decide based upon the potential selection of software (Japanese, US, and European for Sony, US and European for Microsoft), plus their assessment of the likely winner in the format war. If Blu-ray is the standard, the price differential will hold."

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 17:14
Wow so we will be able to play blue ray movies with the PS3 if so 500 usd is cheap

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 17:17
It's pretty cheap, but still way to much for me! I'm probably going to go with HD-DVD because it's cheaper and Sony always looses the format wars. :p

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 17:18
It is cheaper but you cant play ps3 games.

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 17:20
It is cheaper but you cant play ps3 games.
That's the only thing.
I would be the 360 for:
-HD-DVD
-Better controller
-XBox Live
-Halo 3
-Cheaper
The only thing missing is PS3 games. If Sony does as bad with commercial releases on the PS3 as they did on the PSP, it's 360 all the way! :)

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 17:23
But that will never happen. And the pure fact that at launch they will have as many games as the Xbox 360 does in over a year tells you who is the one to beat. From what i see there are like 6 big name releases for the WII also making it 6 more then the 360. LOL

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 17:24
That's an impressive arguement Acidburn. Let me counter (it's not really a counter but w/e) by saying that I'm getting a Wii for sure, then either waiting for a PS3 price cut or I'm getting a 360.

muffinman
August 25th, 2006, 19:39
360= nasty

ill go for the ps3 over it anyday.

tallica
August 25th, 2006, 23:43
ps3 is jst better in my opinion, i hate the x-box controller with a passion!

walt4599
August 27th, 2006, 03:19
wow video freak, what a forum troll

I'm waiting for ps3.. xbox360 has nothing i need to rush to get

crackkills
August 27th, 2006, 03:33
yes I agree ps3 is definitely what i will get second after the wii, the controllers on both aren't that bad at all, at least sony wasn't dumb and ditched the boomerang. Plus the better ($600!!) ps3 RULES the only reason i would get an xbox is maybe halo 3 (didn't like 2 better than 1) other than that all games on the xbox come out for the pc

muffinman
August 27th, 2006, 09:37
love the picture crack :p

halo3 i will be playing round my mates house who bought a 360 anyways. I asked a guy in my local game store "i have a high end gaming pc. What can the 360 play that my pc can't?" his responce came "pgr3" and then he told me there were loads and he had no need to tell me about them :s

1 game seperates my pc from the 360 i assume

goldenmage
August 28th, 2006, 07:11
If a comp was sold with the specs of the PS3 the price would be higher, and no one would compain about it. So why are so many people having a hard time with the price? Just think, any Blu-ray player on the market will cost $800+. And that's only for movies!

And the PS3 will not fall prey to the same game selection problem that the PSP did. I already know this by what games I've already seen lined up for it. And they're all better than Xbox games.

Plus, Xbox makes you pay for online gaming while online gaming for the PS3 will be FREE!

pibs
August 28th, 2006, 07:24
at least sony wasn't dumb and ditched the boomerang.
I didn't know ps3 dropped the boomerang controll, thats nice to hear. Now i might actually buy one now!

donne
August 28th, 2006, 08:23
Man.. I don't know about you.. I can find a hand-full of cellular phones for US$500 and above. I'm not intimidated by PS3 price. But yes, I do afraid of its peripherals and games (imagine that wireless controler might cost me a 1/4 of PS3 price..)

Sony often failed to mass-accepted its media format (betamax, MD, UMD, Memory-stick) that worried me, but the fact they're not alone make it a better chance for Blu-ray to be well-accepted.