PDA

View Full Version : No price cut on PSP, More To Titles On Way

wraggster
August 25th, 2006, 16:46
News via MCV (http://www.mcvuk.com/newsitem.php?id=24308)

Third parties and retailers may disagree, but SCEE president and CEO David Reeves has insisted that PSP does not need a price cut before Christmas.
As Sony’s portable console increasingly loses ground to Nintendo DS and continues to struggle in the software charts, several analyst reports and even EA’s David Gardner (MCV 11/08) have piled on the pressure. But SCEE boss Reeves has told MCV that with a new focus on original, made-for-PSP games, the console can step up the fight in the handheld space going forward.

“There are no current plans to cut the price of PSP before Christmas,” he said. “You might see, as you do in the trade, value-adding offerings. In our minds it’s doing very well and we’re very happy with the performance. I think next year you’ll see it go to a much higher level.”

But Reeves did acknowledge that the high number of PS2 ports at launch has caused something of a lull in terms of original content. “When we launched with PSP we had a good software line-up but a lot of it was similar to the PS2 games. Now what you’re seeing with games like LocoRoco, the Passport To... series and Talkman, we’re trying to come out with games that are made for PSP. You’re going to see more of that before Christmas.

“What we’re trying to do now is to get different people buying PSP. We want the people that don’t have a PlayStation 2 but who do want a portable device.”

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 16:55
I would have like that price cut. :(
I hope we do get that "original content" they're focusing on right now.

BrooksyX
August 25th, 2006, 17:11
Either sonys is being very tight lipped or they are just digging their own grave.

QueadlunnRau
August 25th, 2006, 17:13
Either sonys is being very tight lipped or they are just digging their own grave.

I'll be the first to throw some dirt in the hole.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 25th, 2006, 17:20
I'll be the first to throw some dirt in the hole.
i'll be nxt lol :D

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 17:20
Find im 3rd.

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 17:23
I won't throw dirt in, I'll just download isos. ;)
I'm just kidding, I would never do that...

JD/
August 25th, 2006, 17:47
i reckon theyre lying if they say theres gonna be a price cut everyone will wait for it and sales will go down even more.

mastersho
August 25th, 2006, 19:18
I won't throw dirt in, I'll just download isos. ;)
I'm just kidding, I would never do that...

hahahaha I would. Just to stick it to sony! i mean come on no price cut for the PSP, sony has fail handheld lovers, such as myself, everywhere in the world!!!

The_It
August 25th, 2006, 19:57
hey, i remember that psps are down to 200 bucks on a comercial yesterday. I bet they come with new firmware though. If 2.80 is undowngradeable, will that make older firmwares worth a little more?

dj2005
August 25th, 2006, 19:57
“What we’re trying to do now is to get different people buying PSP. We want the people that don’t have a PlayStation 2 but who do want a portable device.”
Hmm, lowering the price would help so it can actually compete with the DS! Or atleast give the buyer a free game coupon (not a lame pre-picked bundle game).
I do like how they finally realized that people want original games. Atleast it's a step up.

lumisi
August 25th, 2006, 20:01
Why does everyone here hate sony so much? All this anti sony shit has got to go ... if you don't like your psp then sell it. Yes they do not always focus on the right subject and the DS has all these great games, but I'll take a PSP over a DS anyday. The PSP is stylish, the graphics are way better than the DS's, you can play music, movies, listen to internet radio, and all the great emulators available for it. And by the way, there are some great games coming out: Metal Slug Anthology, Ridge Racer 2, Metal Gear Solid, Earthworm Jim, Ultimate Ghost and Goblins, and the great dreamcast Power Stones. The PSP has much figh left in it, just be patient.

Basil Zero
August 25th, 2006, 20:17
it seems like sony's closer to its own doomsday with this decision, the DS is creeping up even more, now that New Mario Bros. for DS has dominated charts again...whats going on.....japanese fans buying two-three copies of the game?

zaniar
August 25th, 2006, 20:19
a price cut would make the psp look cheap and there are still so many people who would love a psp for 200

and the only sales DS is getting is with liitle kids

QueadlunnRau
August 25th, 2006, 20:25
Why does everyone here hate sony so much? All this anti sony shit has got to go ... if you don't like your psp then sell it. Yes they do not always focus on the right subject and the DS has all these great games, but I'll take a PSP over a DS anyday. The PSP is stylish, the graphics are way better than the DS's, you can play music, movies, listen to internet radio, and all the great emulators available for it. And by the way, there are some great games coming out: Metal Slug Anthology, Ridge Racer 2, Metal Gear Solid, Earthworm Jim, Ultimate Ghost and Goblins, and the great dreamcast Power Stones. The PSP has much figh left in it, just be patient.

I hate "Sony" not the PSP. The PSP is tight, I love its powerfull homebrew capabilities. Hate Sony though for building an empire on pure domination on releasing Firmware that kills the very reason we in this forums have our PSP's. Forceing the Firmware updates to play new games that don't even need that FW to run it. Hate how they never listen to anything the consumer has to say. Hate how they make everything proprietary. Hate how they assume everyone in the world is rich. Hate how they smoked up some crack in the backroom in high school and never offered me some. Hate how they got picked first for kickball and wanted me on the other team. Hate how they looked up my sisters dress in Jr. High making her cry. Hate how they ... wait ... must get coffee ... brb

chemical
August 25th, 2006, 20:40
lol, silly sony, they're smart to deny any price cuts, otherwise people would wait for this price cut and the sales would be even more pathetic, but if they dont actually reduce sales before christmas then they may aswell just be running into the PSP stock rooms and trashing everything, because there killing the PSP, if the price was dropped and bundles were made with GOOD games for a GOOD PRICE then sales would go up for xmas, but not if its the same old price.

They may make PSP-only games, but I doubt they'll make that much of an impact.

sroon
August 25th, 2006, 21:14
teehee. the word tit iz in TITle!
( O ) ( O )
btw i woukd be really nice to have price cut on the psp!