PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of PSP Browser and DS Browser

punkrockaddict05
August 25th, 2006, 19:16
Via DS Vault (http://www.ds-vault.com)

When Nintendo announced the web browser for the DS, it came to a suprise of some and was expected by others. With the Europe launch coming up, and the U.S launch coming within the next months, details about the browser are almost set.

But how does the DS browser compare to the PSP browser? Which one is faster? Which one has more features?

We will answer all these questions and more inside.

You may think a web browser is just a web browser right? Well, when it comes to gaming consoles wars, you need to be the best in everything. Nintendo is looking to increase the popularity of the DS by offering something the PSP has and eliminating a special feature from it. This couldn't be possible however, unless the Opera Browser was comparable to the PSP Browser.
Anyone in the world could see the main difference in browser, that is of course, Nintendo went to a professional web browser company called Opera, and Sony did there own browser for their own product. It is also apparent that the DS is going to utilize both of its screens.

The next main difference is the on screen keyboard. The PSP uses just that, an on screen keyboard. Since the DS has two screens, there are several different ways to the keyboard and it just so happens that Opera picked all of them. The keyboard will be displayed on the bottom screen so you will be able to touch the keyboard to type. Opera also made it so that you can just scroll with your d-pad and select it that way. Possibly the most innovative way however, is the feature that allows you to write. You will be able yo write your URL you are going to or any text in the browser!

More important then any feature that a browser could have, is the speed of the browser. Looks like the PSP hit a homerun on this one. There have been many reports saying that the DS browser is very slow and "almost not usable" On the other hand, the PSP has a generally fast browser.

We all know what the PSP browser supports: most images, flash, rss, and what it doesn't support: Movies, Music, etc, but what about the DS Browser--Well, here you go:

The browser doesn't support a lot of Internet standards: no Flash, no movie files, no images other than .GIF and .JPG (and possibly .PNG), no Java.

Which browser will be faster? PSP Browser

Which browser will have more features? Opera Browser for DS

How does the DS Browser Compare to the PSP browser? Post a comment and express your opinions

Video_freak
August 25th, 2006, 19:20
I think the PSP browser will be better because of flash support and because it's faster! :D

phantastic
August 25th, 2006, 20:58
i thought the ds one was slow because it was used outside of japan o_O

andrew24
August 25th, 2006, 21:02
psp all the way
________
marijuana strain green crack (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/green-crack)

The Hombrew Hunter
August 25th, 2006, 21:08
DS.

There's nothing about it I don't care about. Not even gonna pick it up, though, might as well try to get that PSP.

asdfasdf9
August 25th, 2006, 21:32
Hmmm... wished the GP2X had wireless!

pibs
August 25th, 2006, 21:41
The psp's web browser is best in my opinion the problem is the small ammount of hot spots.

kcajblue
August 25th, 2006, 22:14
both browsers equally good and have their own pros and cons and we will have to deal with them.:)

ikarimaru
August 26th, 2006, 01:42
I haven't had the chance to try the PSP browser, so I'm just going to say what I've found with the DS browser without drawing conclusions:

1) It's slooooooooooow... VERY slow, but given that the DS isn't a UBER-POWERFUL machine, it's nice for everyday surfing and checking my e-mail.

2) Images look a tad blurry on it, even when I'm viewing it zoomed in on the smaller view.

3) Handwriting recognition is for the most part top-notch, although using Beup has gotten me used to using the onscreen keyboard, so I'm faster with that...

4) I can't read Japanese (This will of course be taken care of with the American release, lol)

5) WHY IS THE RAM CART CLEAR?! I understand that many people have different color DS's, but still...

6) Bookmarking is NICE... Just a quick click of the Select Button (either that or start... I haven't messed with it THAT much), and I'm at my bookmarks...

All in all, for everyday browsing, it's nice. I'm at college and would rather not carry around my laptop all day, so it's perfect for me... PSP seems to have a lot of features, but then again, I don't own a PSP, and really don't care to...

That's my 2 cents... :)

Xtreme
August 26th, 2006, 02:02
1) It's slooooooooooow... VERY slow, but given that the DS isn't a UBER-POWERFUL machine, it's nice for everyday surfing and checking my e-mail.

Slower than Mini Opera running on Nokia Series 40 OS?
Man, that is slow, but I still use my Mini Opera with my Nokia as I always carry that cellular.

No RSS reader in DS Browser? That doesn't matter as I also use freeware RSSReader in my cellular (and my cellular is a cheap one).

mrio
August 26th, 2006, 12:03
I have a psp and a ds lite.

THe PSP is way better. Typing with the psp goes alot faster than on the ds. Why? I am used to cellphone writing (send textmesaging, etc). And on the psp its similair. Also PSP is way faster than the ds and the resolution is bigger, wich makes it comfortable to view webpages.

O and right now, I'm typing this message from my PSP :)

superdinoyoshi
August 26th, 2006, 20:26
Now to say that typing on a PSP is faster than typing on a DS is a severe case of fan-boyism

Crimson_Lotus
August 27th, 2006, 02:21
PSP browser all the way... it may take 30 seconds more to type with it, but at least it doesn't take 5 minutes more to load MSN.com...

the Java and Shockwave support needs improved in both. Too bad you cant get a USB "cache expansion slot" for the PSP so I could load larger flash apps...

blyan
August 27th, 2006, 07:48
hmm. il be on youtube right away once i get the browser on my DS =D

ACID
August 27th, 2006, 07:50
PSP browser all the way... it may take 30 seconds more to type with it, but at least it doesn't take 5 minutes more to load MSN.com...

the Java and Shockwave support needs improved in both. Too bad you cant get a USB "cache expansion slot" for the PSP so I could load larger flash apps...
I totaly agree.:D

slitchfield
August 27th, 2006, 17:13
Opera have agreed to send me a copy of the latest browser pack for review on my site. More in a week or so. It's worth noting that I think it's unfair to ask either PSP or DS to render huge bloated pages like MSN or CNN or even eBay. The designers of those pages should be shot. Or made to surf their own sites on a portable device for a week.

BTW, if DS browswer owners want a fast-loading mobile web starting page, I made my own at http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/webguidereal.htm

Steve

Video_freak
August 27th, 2006, 17:16
I totaly agree.:D
Me too! :D

TheLamer
August 27th, 2006, 23:49
Are their any good open source arm based browsers out there?

I have seen people were working on browsers in the past but none of them were very good.

Man I wish we had the source for this one.

mrio
August 28th, 2006, 12:14
Now to say that typing on a PSP is faster than typing on a DS is a severe case of fan-boyism

That might be true :o . I'm being more behind my psp than my ds lite. O and hey, i even type faster on my cellphone than my keyboard :P.

linkenski
August 28th, 2006, 13:25
hmm. il be on youtube right away once i get the browser on my DS =D
you can't watch videos on youtube when it dosn't support flash.

Payk
August 29th, 2006, 08:21
I prefer using laptops for it. Both would be not very comfortable. Long waittimes or a bad input....both reasons would avoid using it on pc too. Whats about DSLinux? It has a browser too? Its faster?

Solitude
August 29th, 2006, 09:11
DSLinux's browser was worser than both. It doesn't even support images as far as I know. But with the latest RAM usage technics, they may put in a better version I believe.