PDA

View Full Version : Vinnk Protects his PSP, Makes Children Sad

wraggster
August 25th, 2006, 21:28
Via 4CR (http://www.4colorrebellion.com/archives/2006/08/24/vinnk-protects-his-psp-makes-children-sad/)

A while back I bought a Sony PSP, which I have been moderately, though not enthusiastically, happy with. My DS lite is my normal travel buddy. I take it everywhere. My Junior High School students, as well as the kids in my after-school conversation classes, know that it can always be found on my person. They also know that if they study hard and ask nicely, they can play it after class.

I wanted to give my PSP a bit of time as it has been totally ignored recently. But I didn’t have a case for it, and with the potential for scratches, this is a system that demands a case (and games, but that is another story). When I bought my DS lite, the kind lady at the shop gave me a free case. So the old case that I had been using for the DS Phat now became my PSP case. I find it sweetly ironic as it has a big Nintendo DS logo on it. The case works perfectly, and the pockets for GBA games are just the right size for UMDs. So I clipped this case to my belt, determined to clock some hours with this widescreen wonder.

But all I did was make children sad.

You see, my students had become accustomed to playing with the ever-present DS lite. After class, some girls came up as sasked, “Can we play Mario?” I explained that I didn’t have my DS with me, but one girl pointed to the case and its DS logo. I opened the case and watched their faces fall as they saw the PSP. I asked, “Would you like to play with this instead?”

They replied, “No.”

I loaded up “Minna no Golf,” which I think is a very good and rather cute game. It also has much better graphics than any of my DS games. They were totally unimpressed. Eventually, they said that they would just go home. They made me promise to bring the DS next time.

I got the same reaction from students all week, one disappointed student after another. One boy was very happy that I had a PSP, but became disappointed as well when he found out that I didn’t have the Gundam game. Has Nintendo really captured the hearts of young Japanese that strongly?

The PSP is still selling quite well (2nd best selling game system), but it is to a very different audience. It is desired by gadget aficionados, style conscious young adults, and hardcore gamers like myself who feel physically ill if we miss out on any system. To these students however, it is not an end-all multimedia device. It is just some shiny black thing that doesn’t play Animal Crossing. Even still, I never expected that kind of reaction. One 11-year-old boy actually cried. Cried. You can’t buy brand loyalty like that.

When I see this, it makes it seem like Nintendo is sure to dominate the next gen. But looks can be deceiving. When these same kids are asked if they are looking forward to the Wii, they just stare at me, puzzled. They don’t know what the Wii is, and they don’t much care what it is unless it has 2 screens and a touch pen. Nintendo has its work cut out for them after all.

As for me, I am thinking of buying a PSP case. Not for the PSP, but for my DS lite. I figure I can pleasantly surprise them this way. In any case, I have way too much free time on my hands.

Screen Via Comments

Gene
August 25th, 2006, 21:37
HAHAHA!! thats funny, yet true.

emuking
August 25th, 2006, 21:44
oh your in japan no wonder, they love it down there :D

luis_05
August 25th, 2006, 21:44
no no!! dude!! the kids i know love the psp. They have a ds and when they ask if they can play mario i say of course, so i fire up my psp, and tell them what version do they want to play, and they get impress when i show them all the classic mario games, the especially like super mario world! so u see, the psp cna be love by children but stupid sony doesnt know want us to have hombrew

mastersho
August 25th, 2006, 21:46
when people do that to me i just hit them in the face with my psp and then with my DS.

QueadlunnRau
August 25th, 2006, 21:49
no no!! dude!! the kids i know love the psp. They have a ds and when they ask if they can play mario i say of course, so i fire up my psp, and tell them what version do they want to play, and they get impress when i show them all the classic mario games, the especially like super mario world! so u see, the psp cna be love by children but stupid sony doesnt know want us to have hombrew

LOL:D

chemical
August 25th, 2006, 22:01
"One 11-year-old boy actually cried. Cried. You can’t buy brand loyalty like that"

LMAO

I really enjoyed reading that, great stuff ;)

I kind agree with what was said, PSP sells to people who see it as a shiny new gadget, Nintendo sells for games. Except homebrew but thats a whole nother world.

ExcruciationX
August 25th, 2006, 22:31
Lol

Nikolaos
August 25th, 2006, 22:37
psh.. kids need to understand the power of the psp. when they hold "the psp" they are holding more than they can fathom!! darn kids lol, how about we just load them up some snes emu with some good ol fasion mario all stars :)

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 22:38
when people do that to me i just hit them in the face with my psp and then with my DS.
Second that motion

tallica
August 25th, 2006, 23:35

I lold at that!

Cloud_35
August 26th, 2006, 02:14
You know, children and drunkmen always say the truth...

:)

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 04:05
the psp isnt supposed to be for Children, its a multi purpose system(although mostly made for gaming), but still its recommended for teens and up....regardless the fact of the existence of Ape Escape...lol

vettacossx
August 26th, 2006, 04:34
i vote this litterally the BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME in dcemu history...this was not only a DS SECTION BS but its a waste of FRONT PAGE space...i find it hard to beleave this is worthy OF WASTING TIME TO THE POINT OF FEELING OBLIGATED TOSAY SOMTHING!!! lol ummm hey......BORRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG

jwilds73
August 26th, 2006, 04:39

I love when my workmates ask if I have a certain game and I always do it amazes them. A kid came up to me on my break once and asked what I was playing and I said Zelda: Oracle of Ages and he was just floored that I was playing a Nintendo game on my PSP. Then I floored him further with all it could do. I've had two co-workers by them and I helped set them up already.

goldenmage
August 26th, 2006, 04:54
This is why the PSP does so well in Japan. There are so many casual gamers over there. The DS is a great handheld for those who aren't hardcore gamers. And japan has a lot of casual gamers (as well as hardcore gamers.). Almost all the girls and in Japan like to play games every once in a while. The same could not be said about the US and Europe. And the DS seems to be an ideal system for girls and little children, being one they can just pick up and play...

JD/
August 26th, 2006, 05:21
That was a nice story to read but I think what golden mage said sums it up its all about pic up and play ability the PSP is a more technical gaming system which you need a bit of knowledge about before you can enjoy it fully while the DS is an easy pick up and play fun piece of kit.

Thats why i have both :D

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 05:26
I'm a hardcore gamer and I haven't touched a PSP.

You're wrong, Goldenmage.

But I agree, it's pick up and play, but many hardcore gamers I know don't own a psp.

Me and my 4 friends (as seen in my comic...) all don't own a PSP. I'm gonna try to get my one friend into homebrew on DS. I might get him a supercard CF or soemthing.

Vancougar
August 26th, 2006, 06:54
Screw brand loyalty.

The real reason those kids cried is because it wasn't a 1.5

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 08:09
Screw brand loyalty.

The real reason those kids cried is because it wasn't a 1.5
lmao...

and LMFAO @ Vetta :p

wolfpack
August 27th, 2006, 23:25