View Full Version : PSP Terror Threat

wraggster
August 25th, 2006, 21:58
News Via CNN (http://money.cnn.com/blogs/browser/index.html#115651794792080492)

Friday, August 25, 2006
D.C. police tackle the PSP terror threat
Could a terrorist use a Sony PlayStation Portable to hack into government networks? In theory, yes, writes Robert A. on PSP3D.com, a videogame-news discussion site. "The PSP has all the prerequisites" for penetrating government networks," says Robert: Wi-Fi and a decently powerful computer chip. "What's stopping terrorists and malicious individuals from sending a child, armed with a PSP ... to walk by the FBI ... building in Washington, D.C. (whose wireless networks reach the public sidewalk alongside the building), and gather data which could be used to thwart the government which protects us?"

That's the theory that Robert A. came up with after he innocently parked his car on Constitution Avenue and decided to play a round of Tekken. Sitting there with the car's lights off, he attracted an officer's attention, and soon found himself sitting on the curb, handcuffed, and interrogated by a crowd of policemen. It seemed absurd at the time, and the police eventually let him go, but reviewing the incident later, Robert concluded that the threat was real: "A portable device equipped with wireless capabilities ... is capable of anything," including hacking into government computer networks. The good -- if discomfiting -- news is that if Robert's theory is accurate, the D.C. police are aware of the threat.

What do you think? Were the police right to question someone who was just playing games?

Thanks to dOOmy for the newstip

PShadow
August 25th, 2006, 22:05
Great, i have a flight in three days and i'm now wondering if it's a threat to bring my psp on my carry-on without beign suspected of having terroristic intentions.

pibs
August 25th, 2006, 22:10
WoW sucks to be that guy. dang coppers always trying to eliminate anything that is fun. I mean come on who doesn't look suspicious while playing tekken.. you don't want anyone else to play.

luis_05
August 25th, 2006, 22:11
oh men!!!! why was this leaked out, now many script kiddies are gonna want to mess around with this!! anyways, its intresting how someone can hack using the psp, i am going to have to look into this, great news by the way, its sucked that the guy had to be hancuffed thought, its not cool, i know how it feels, especially living in la!!

QueadlunnRau
August 25th, 2006, 22:26
I smell PSP virus coming.

notaforumtroll
August 25th, 2006, 22:37
Maybe the US government should put signal blockers up so they cant go out side of the building, better yet why not stay hardlined? This is absurd.

ACID
August 25th, 2006, 22:43
Great, i have a flight in three days and i'm now wondering if it's a threat to bring my psp on my carry-on without beign suspected of having terroristic intentions.
yeah they will think its a detonator. LOL:D

thumpa
August 25th, 2006, 22:57
They Are Taking This
S*it Too Serous

emuking
August 25th, 2006, 22:57
yeah they will think its a detonator. LOL:D

sadly they think anything that could send a signal is deadly, god the u.s. is as screwed as any other country :(

thumpa
August 25th, 2006, 23:13
F*ck Em'
Try To Take Away Psp So I Can't Play My
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Can't U See Nintendo Is Behind
This

Damn U Ds Damn U To Hell

1.5 For Life
Beeyoch

tallica
August 25th, 2006, 23:29
The ploice take things waaay to seriosly in America, in ireland the only way you would get approached by a police man while using yor psp is, if he wanted a go.

Sterist
August 25th, 2006, 23:36
its sucked that the guy had to be hancuffed thought

Well, now that it's sucked...............

rofl i love making fun of grammar errors ;) and speaking of which, how does "thought" fit into that phrase?

lol anyways, its easy for the police to eliminate this problem, they just.... umm.. encrypt the routers maybe? and always check for wifi light before assuming anything.

not only can encryptions not be hacked by modern PSP software, but they can create their own security method that the PSP simply doesnt support or recognize.

A Fn NOOB
August 25th, 2006, 23:46
Youre luck if you can get a PSP to connect to a PC on your own f***ing network, much less hack into government systems. Someone go bitch-slap that reporter.

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 00:07
F*ck Em'
Try To Take Away Psp So I Can't Play My
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Can't U See Nintendo Is Behind
This

Damn U Ds Damn U To Hell

1.5 For Life
Beeyoch

You f**ker, take that back!

Why do the PSP lovers ALWAYS try to diss and lower the DS?

DUMBASS, REALITY CHECK. Why would Nintendo meddle in the US, when they could meddle in the much more loved Japan? Bush is an idiot, and you seem to be as stupid as he is.

The Hombrew Hunter shall have his REVENGE! THE GRAMMAR NAZI SHALL RETURN! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!

Sorry, bad luck DECENT PSP lovers.

Haha to you, thumpa.

ccdelta
August 26th, 2006, 00:07
Gee, what will the D.C. Police do about PDA's, BlackBerrys, and Cell Phones?

John Vattic
August 26th, 2006, 00:10
I'm laughing my friggn' a** off.
America is so silly anymore.

I for one am ashamed to be an American.

Seems my country sprouted a vagina.

Conspiracy freaks are gonna say that this is the first step in the government investigating the use of psp's, for sony. Since sony can't tell people how to use their psp's, they'll hire the government to attach the word "terrorism" to psp, and therefore justify the invasion of privacy.

So much for land of the free. America is dying and I'm gonna learn japanese and get the hell out while I can.

P.S. Governments and corporations rule by use of fear. Therefore governments and corporations are terrorists.

The traitorous governments are correct about one thing though. "9-11 changed everything"

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 00:13
I'm laughing my friggn' a** off.
America is so silly anymore.

I for one am ashamed to be an American.

Seems my country sprouted a vagina.

Conspiracy freaks are gonna say that this is the first step in the government investigating the use of psp's, for sony. Since sony can't tell people how to use their psp's, they'll hire the government to attach the word "terrorism" to psp, and therefore justify the invasion of privacy.

So much for land of the free. America is dying and I'm gonna learn japanese and get the hell out while I can.

P.S. Governments and corporations rule by use of fear. Therefore governments and corporations are terrorists.

The traitorous governments are correct about one thing though. "9-11 changed everything"

True to that...But when we get a democrat president who ISN'T a dumbass, we might be better off.

And sorry to everyone who was offended by my last post (besides you thumpa :mad: )...I lost my head, sorry.

Off Topic:W00t 700th post!

PShadow
August 26th, 2006, 00:16
Apparently they are also installing "face-recognition" systems in the U.S airports. It seems that this system makes it able for security to tell if you have any "EVIL" schemes going on in your head. I read this in a newyork times article at some starbucks, almost choked on coffee when i saw it.

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 00:18
Congrats on your post number 700 Homebrew Hunter. sorry about what Thompa said, he's just living the PSP homebrew dream...

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 00:19
I remember seeing that on the news...How messed up.

And it's not a "face-recognition" scanner, it's a "scan-for-nervous-or-otherwise-troubled-face-or-movements" scanner.

Guess who's royally f**ked there? People who've never flown before.

It's not a dream if you're an ass about it. It's more of a nightmare.

thumpa
August 26th, 2006, 00:21
You f***er, you take that back!

DUMBASS, REALITY CHECK. Why would Nintendo meddle in the US, when they could meddle in the much more loved Japan? Bush is an idiot, and you seem to be as stupid as he is.

The Hombrew Hunter shall have his REVENGE! THE GRAMMAR NAZI SHALL RETURN! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH!

Haha to you, thumpa.

F*ck face it was a joke
i could really care less about a ds or psp
it's called a life
get one

PShadow
August 26th, 2006, 00:22
My bad *"scan-face-for-nervous-or-otherwise-troubled"* =P

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 00:28
How about you get a life. I have one, it hasn't continued yet because it stopped for Summer Break.

God, what an ass.

I changed it, "Scan-for-nervous-or-otherwise-troubled-face-or-movements" scanner. Muahahhaha. Fear the nazi of grammar.

thumpa
August 26th, 2006, 00:42
How about you get a life. I have one, it hasn't continued yet because it stopped for Summer Break.

God, what an ass.

I changed it, "Scan-for-nervous-or-otherwise-troubled-face-or-movements" scanner. Muahahhaha. Fear the nazi of grammar.

I have a quote for u then i'm done with your dumb ass
"arguing on the internet is like winning the special Olympics.... ...even if you win you are still retarded"

have a nice day

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 00:44
The quote is actually:
http://kenytelenekvagyunk.freeblog.hu/Files/retard.jpg
Make sure you read what's on the bottom. ^ :D

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 00:45
So you won the arguement, and with that post, you declared yourself retarted.

You sir, are truly a retard.

Have a happy day.

emuking
August 26th, 2006, 03:27

Haha to you, thumpa.

rarararararara the sound of ranting, dont flame others the other guy was just kidding

The Hombrew Hunter
August 26th, 2006, 04:02
Well he should have posted SOONER.

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 04:09
Makes me want to get a DS ...will too, when Final Fantasy III and the next gen pokemon come out..

Off topic:YES!!!! YESS!!!!! YESSS!!!! DISGAEA IS COMING OUT ON PSP!! ON 11/30/06 !!! YES!!!

Anyways...where was i, oh ya, wish i was back at my country...lol, i'll probably be the only one with the PSP....lol

bill00000
August 26th, 2006, 04:12
You know what? I'd be disappointed if someone in their car with the lights off, in the middle of the night, outside a government building, playing with an electronic device for any period of time wasn't questioned.

Let the flaming begin!

Sk8.4.Life
August 26th, 2006, 05:39

Actually, I took a PSP from Washington (Not DC) all the way to Florida with no trouble. I did ask for a hand check or whatever because I was paranoid the frickin metal detector was going to wipe my memory sticks. The stupid ******* at the hand check station wiped my screen with like a wet wipe thingie for whatever reason though which was annoying. I honestly have no idea what the purpose of it was.

Then on the way back, the guy who checked me out was like wtf is that? Mainly because I carry mine in the Logitech PlayGear Street case or w/e it's called. It's the Shoulder one. After I opened it up, I mentioned that it's a PSP and he got all pissy and was like, "Hey! I know what it is! Now move along." XD He didn't wipe stupid wet wipe crap on it though like the first guy.

JD/
August 26th, 2006, 05:45
lol i understand why people are paranoid but taking a PSP and turning it into some terrorist plot WTF

dOOmy
August 26th, 2006, 07:29
I actually took a psp into a hip hop concert about 2 months after it came out. The security thought it was a camera and that i was going to take pictures of the concert but they let me in after i demonstrated it

ArugulaZ
August 26th, 2006, 08:55
WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP!

Everybody panic! Terrorism is a constant threat to your life, even though you've never actually been directly affected by it! Don't let your guard down for even a second, and take every opportunity you can to fly off the handle and act like a jackass!

Terrorism is Bush's favorite boogeyman. You'd have a better chance of being hit by lightning than attacked by a terrorist, but that hasn't stopped Americans from acting like panicky dimwits and obediantly following every command of the 21st century's worst president.

Wake up, people! There isn't a crazed terrorist hiding behind every tree, and nobody's trying to blow up anything with a PSP. Stop letting the scumbag-in-chief use a national tragedy that happened FIVE YEARS AGO as a crass political opportunity.

JR

Facho
August 26th, 2006, 17:46
Paranoid America. Many thanks mr Bush

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 17:53
Paranoid America. Many thanks mr Bush
Haha, so true. I doubt anyone could hack into security servers and crap through a PSP. :rolleyes:

iniquitous_beast
August 26th, 2006, 18:15
As mentioned earlier, just sitting in your car with the lights off (save for the illumination caused by the psp screen) is very suspicious. If our perpetrator had been a local DC resident, then he would have known better than to sit so close to the FBI building.

I'm impressed though. It is pretty damn hard to find a roadside parking spot on any of DC's major streets. I hope he remembered to put a quarter in the meter!

Nevertheless, what kind of moron just pulls over to play a $200 psp on the dangerous nighttime streets of DC? Stupid people get mugged at night time, especially in areas frequented by dumb tourists.

In regards to those of you who have trouble with airport security; just REMOVE YOUR PSP FROM ITS CASE AND PLACE IT IN THE DAMN TRAY. If you act all paranoid and anal about your psp; then they will treat you as suspicious. The x-ray has never harmed my memory stick while it was inside the psp. TSA are not idiots. they have to deal with thousands of irritable travelers every day. In turn, they see hundreds of portable game systems. Only if you act suspiciously protective of yours will they ask to inspect it. Otherwise, they will send it through just like a common laptop.

If you don't make a fuss; then they won't.

ExcruciationX
September 13th, 2006, 18:17
Interesting, I never thought of that...

RetroGoth
September 13th, 2006, 20:23
what a world we live in....

dski1326
September 13th, 2006, 22:41
Does anyone know if a psp will go off in a metal detector or if it will f*ck it up or somethin.Cus my gay skool has metal detector

NoQuarter
September 13th, 2006, 22:55
I read about this story in a local paper as I live so close to D.C.
It is a bit on the stupid side to pull over and park so close to the FBI building.
I do agree with some earlier comment that a state of fear is incrementally being cultivated in America.
1984 anyone?
War with no definite enemy?
Sound like the citizens will be the losers in all of this.

ExcruciationX
September 14th, 2006, 03:14
Does anyone know if a psp will go off in a metal detector or if it will f*ck it up or somethin.Cus my gay skool has metal detector
No, it should be fine.

Video_freak
September 14th, 2006, 03:21
I went through the metal ditector thing in the airport with a PSP and iPod in my pockets. Didn't ring... :)

Nafogel
September 14th, 2006, 03:59
I went through the metal ditector thing in the airport with a PSP and iPod in my pockets. Didn't ring... :)
I think it depends on the metal detector. I once passed through a metal detector at a theme park and it went off because of my pocket change, which was about a bucks worth(and no, it wasnt all in pennies:mad: ) it was like a few quarters, a couple of dimes and nickles, and one or two pennies. How much of the psp actually consists of metal anyways?

acn010
September 14th, 2006, 05:37

Haha to you, thumpa.
i know your obsesed with the ds, i don't know why are you screaming at people and negating that the psp is cool, ds has its own compabilities, and so the psp. but the psp is way too fast for the ds.
but please, mature and behave and control your attitude.
sorry if i went off topic

Video_freak
September 14th, 2006, 05:39
Oh boy, not this again..