PDA

View Full Version : So were the $8.50 UMD-Videos successful?

wraggster
August 25th, 2006, 22:12
News Via PSPVault (http://www.psp-vault.com/Article642.psp)

Back in June of this year, Warner Home Video announced that they would run a campaign in Japan offering 22 of their movies in the UMD-Video format for 980 yen (~$8.50 USD) apiece, for a limited time. It sounded like a sweet deal; Warner had no shortage of big names in the lineup, like "Last Samurai," "Harry Potter," and "The Matrix." I managed to pick up the entire Matrix trilogy on UMD-Video for about $25 USD. That's probably the lowest retail price you'll find for UMD-Video titles anywhere in the world.

So was it successful? Is $8.50 USD the "sweet spot" for UMD-Video? I'm not really sure, but we do have some evidence that could point to "yes."

Warner Home Video today announced that they were extending the campaign indefinitely -- meaning you'll be able to buy those 22 titles on UMD-Video for 980 yen apiece whenever you want.

Since Warner Home Video hasn't made an official press release, we have to guess at the motive behind this announcement. Are they extending the campaign because the 980 yen UMDs are selling well? Are they extending the campaign because they didn't sell any and just want to get rid of their stock? Are they extending the campaign to see what happens during the all-important holiday season?

Let's hear your opinions

Just checked AMAZON UK (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&tag=dcemu-21&camp=1634&creative=6738&path=tg%2Fbrowse%2F-%2F468294) and they are selling Many UMD Films from £6.97, i myself brought Harry Potter 1-3 for £8.97 last month :)

luis_05
August 25th, 2006, 22:14
i personally think so, who the hell wants to buy a $25 plus umd that doenst even have the extra goodies? i sure dont, seeing how its going to be extended indefinitely, i am going to buy some myself :-)

Cap'n 1time
August 26th, 2006, 01:43
shit, if they were all $9 i would probably buy them.

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 01:56
I would too... :)

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 04:00
Man, this is great, if there are sweet deals like that, i'll probably end up buying some too

jwilds73
August 26th, 2006, 04:22
This is a great price point I will certainly consider purchasing movies I already own on DVD at this price point. Now lets just get Monty Python and the Holy Grail on UMD =)