PDA

View Full Version : The End of PSPVBA - GBA Emu for PSP

wraggster
August 26th, 2006, 10:29
Some rather sad news from our hosted Coder ZX-81:

Exophase has released a new full speed GBA emulator for the PSP with awesome performances !

PSPVBA will never reach full speed, since it used classical software emulation technics, that can't be compared to JIT (Just In Time) recompiler based emulators ...

PSPVBA is dead, long life to Gameplay PSP (gPSP, the new GBA emu), and i have to say that i'm really impressed by the work of Exophase , and i'm waitting for new releases !

Zx.

So there you have it

k0pp0
August 26th, 2006, 10:36
Real shame to see zx-81 quitting this emu, big up to him for what he's done though!

razorak
August 26th, 2006, 10:38
Even though there will be no more releases for pspvba, i still believe that we are still rather indebted to Zx-81 who took on the abandoned project of making a gba emulator for psp. Without him, i wouldn't have been able to enjoy my gba games on my psp. He has spent a considerable amount of time coding it and i am rather happy to say that it's good enough for me at its current stage especially since he didn't forget 2.X users like myself with the 1.2.4 release :)

kudos to you Zx-81

nielsss
August 26th, 2006, 10:38
zx-81 hope you read this cuz you did a good job and without you we would have gotten nowhere!

wraggster
August 26th, 2006, 11:08
actualy id like to see zx-81 grab the source of the new GBA emu and add in a decent gui etc

on that front its severely lacking

S34MU5
August 26th, 2006, 11:10
zx-81 good work but Exophase did better hope u have more projects up ur sleeve zx

SmashinGit
August 26th, 2006, 11:10
Hey zx, thanks for all the long hours you put in in programming this and all your other emulators. Your a credit to the scene, I look forward to your future projects.

emuking
August 26th, 2006, 11:11
good work man :D

zx-81
August 26th, 2006, 11:20
actualy id like to see zx-81 grab the source of the new GBA emu and add in a decent gui etc

on that front its severely lacking

Yes wraggy, it would be nice, but i'm sure Exophase will do it on his own ... A UI is nothing to do (in term of dev time and complextity) compared to what he has already done :)

zx-81
August 26th, 2006, 11:20
Hey zx, thanks for all the long hours you put in in programming this and all your other emulators. Your a credit to the scene, I look forward to your future projects.

For sure, I still have many things in my TO_DO list lol :D

razorak
August 26th, 2006, 11:23
think i will still use pspvba1.2.4

reason:
when i'm at home i'll use vba on the comp
when i'm mobile i'll copy the saves and dump them onto my psp =)

wraggster
August 26th, 2006, 11:28
have you looked at the source zx-81, is there anything you have seen to improve the new emu, nice to see its open source :)

ExcruciationX
August 26th, 2006, 11:35
Well, that sucks zx-81! Hopefully, we have some other great releases in the future.

zx-81
August 26th, 2006, 11:35
have you looked at the source zx-81, is there anything you have seen to improve the new emu, nice to see its open source :)

Of course i've looked at the source, and what Exophase has done is really awesome ! He is one of the best coder i've seen on this kind of project ;) ...

Anyway we had some very interresting discussions by emails, to see how to improve a bit more the speed on his emu. And as a result, his new version will be a bit faster than the previous one :D

wraggster
August 26th, 2006, 11:38
Can this dynarec be used in other emulators ? (im no coder)

cant wait to see what he does next ;)

zx-81
August 26th, 2006, 11:45
Can this dynarec be used in other emulators ? (im no coder)

cant wait to see what he does next ;)

The dynarec is dedicated to the PSP/MIPS, and all the emulator is strongly connected to this emulation core.

Then, to be clear : this dynarec can't be used to other emulators than GBA, and this dynarec can't be easilly put in another GBA emulator (such as pspvba) ... :(

jeffred
August 26th, 2006, 11:53
Thanks for all your hard work ZX.

hack.fool
August 26th, 2006, 12:48
what else to say...Thanx zx for your hard work and for give us a great emu..cause pspVba is still a great emu!!!
thanx again zx..
looking foward for your future release..maybe a Saturn emu...maybe a Wii emu...:D you never know!!:)

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 12:57
Like always very classi and a great coder. Thanks for everything you have done ZX. Now like other people have done with your emus and theres nothing wrong with that are you going to try to play with Exophases SRC or no.

\/oid
August 26th, 2006, 13:17
sad news zx but thanks for all your hard work:)

Uruz 6
August 26th, 2006, 13:22
Great work zx you really helped the homebrew scene..
I'm looking forward to your next projects!!

NoQuarter
August 26th, 2006, 13:23
Thanx for all the hard work you put in Zx:)Btw what is next on your to do list?

LazerTag
August 26th, 2006, 13:34
Waiting for the next release was like being a kid waiting for Christmas morning.

Thanks zx-81 :)

mameuser
August 26th, 2006, 13:42
Bye Bye zx-81

Nikolaos
August 26th, 2006, 13:47
Your work wasn't for nothing zx you got all of our hopes up for a better gba emu and there is one now. good work.

gotmilk0112
August 26th, 2006, 14:11
zx-81 you jsut rock. peroid.

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 14:12
This means exophase has no competition, and the fact that he will be marveled as the ONLY gba developer now....

motz
August 26th, 2006, 14:12
Great work you've done zx, I hope we see more great apps from you in the future! ;)

aries2k4
August 26th, 2006, 14:32
well thanks for everything ZX. Makes perfect sense to stop on vba. Hopefully this will give you more time to dedicate to other projects. Anything left to emulate? you´ve ported half the emus already, lol

jaydoo
August 26th, 2006, 14:39
Thanks ZX, your work is really appreciated. Looking forward to your next baby.

Kvonx
August 26th, 2006, 14:47
..........M sory, great job!! I respect u an its because of you more coders came in an help........U have all our Respects

jinqui242
August 26th, 2006, 14:51
I'm grateful for his work. He upped the ante for GBA emulation on the PSP. I'm just glad he didn't give up a month ago or longer when there were no other playable GBA emulators at all (released anyway).

I hope we have a new gpSP version with a touch of ZX-81's ideas. :-)

Kvonx
August 26th, 2006, 14:51
Try the forgetten homebrew smashgpsp its awesome...i still have it!!! Alot of people love it, it lacks multiplayer and advanced features

Mr. Shizzy
August 26th, 2006, 15:04
ZX-81 thank you for everthing you have done for the scene. Your vba will always stand as the emu that refused to be limited by the tech. specs of the PSP. You always found a way to defy the impossible and gain more speed out of it. As far as I'm concerned, you are one of the greatest coders to ever step foot in the PSP homebrew scene. I can't wait to see whats up your sleeve for your upcoming projects. THANKS AGAIN ZX.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 26th, 2006, 15:30
Zx 81 certainly set the pace with his great emu,and all others have his great work for reference. :) hopefully he can focus his efforts on bigger and better things.

mcvader
August 26th, 2006, 15:45
I know it's been said 35 times already but thanks for all your hard work ZX.
I knew when gpSP came out PSPVBA would either get dropped or a new update would come out with full speed, sadly you chose to end the emu but none of us are going to forget the effort you put in to it for the scene.
I'm gonna be checking the newspage every day for the annoucement of your next project, I won't ask what it's gonna be (I like suprises), but I'm sure it's gonna be just as groundbreaking as PSPVBA was.
Merci ZX, Merci. :) :) :)

gotmilk0112
August 26th, 2006, 15:49
my post on page 3 randomly disappeared so i'll say it again:

thanks zx-81 you rock! cant wait for next project.

RetroGoth
August 26th, 2006, 15:56
you did great zx-81 I hope you wont stop working on emulators all together. There has to be other projects of your interest to work on. Take care

Poem58
August 26th, 2006, 16:37
yeah....zx is "da man" and i hope he gets bored enough to make that fully functional Atari 2600 emu that hasn't happened yet......:D

pkmusicmaker
August 26th, 2006, 16:37
I can't say I'm surprised, this was a good decision. It's crazy how things change in a matter of a week. Thanks a lot for actually sticking to this emulator until it made no sense to keep going. It's also nice to see you're actually excited about the new one from exophase. Shows you're in this for the progress and not for your ego.

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 26th, 2006, 16:42
aawwwwwwwww.........zx-81 was one of the best psp coders of all time!!!!!!

luis_05
August 26th, 2006, 16:45
orale guey!! thanks for all the sleepless nights u endured just to release not only pspvba but others as well! thanks ZX-81!! go take a break then come back and tackle other forgotten emus!!! :-)

zx-81
August 26th, 2006, 16:51
@all: many thanks for your kindness, it's a real pleasure to develop homebrews for such a community :) !

alleyal202
August 26th, 2006, 17:17
Great Job ZX I only use your gb em!Like i always say u are a emulating GOD! 1 question ZX,can the Sega CD be emulated on the psp would love to play Night Trap,sewer sharks,double switch!! WOW that would be great,if its possible i know your the one to do it!!!!great work @ cant wait to see what u have up your sleeves :)

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 17:44
hey zx it's sad to see the end of pspvba, thanx for all ur hard work and quick yet very imprssive releases...but what is ur next project gunna be an app or an emu?

@alleyal202: no, its already been discussed, psp isn't powerful enough

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 17:49
I just had to add my thoughts. It's too bad PSP VBA had to die. There really isn't any use for trying to get it full speed anymore, so you were right in calling it quits. You are an awesome coder, and you kept us dreaming. I hope you have many other awesome homebrew/emulation plans in store for us. Never give up. :)

kcajblue
August 26th, 2006, 18:04
it sucks to see the end of the PSPVBA. :(
but at least we know that zx isnt leaving the homebrew scene completely.:)

JKKDARK
August 26th, 2006, 18:27
I can't believe :(

khunal
August 26th, 2006, 19:11
its been said many times, but must be said again...

THANK YOU zx-81!!!!!!

SpacemanSpiff
August 26th, 2006, 20:24
@alleyal202: no, its already been discussed, psp isn't powerful enough

You're probably thinking of the Saturn, the Sega CD was just a CD Drive add-on for the Genesis that used the same processor as the Genesis, albeit with a slightly higher clockspeed.

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 20:38
The dynarec is dedicated to the PSP/MIPS, and all the emulator is strongly connected to this emulation core.

Then, to be clear : this dynarec can't be used to other emulators than GBA, and this dynarec can't be easilly put in another GBA emulator (such as pspvba) ... :(
But with your geneos master mind if he doesn't want help you can still work with the source and improve on it on your own. I love the emu and esophase has done a great job. But i really think for a faster perfect working emu with no bugs to great coders are better then one.:D

DrSarcasmo
August 26th, 2006, 20:39
ZX81, I wish to thank you for all the hard work you put into PSPVBA. It was the first GBA emulator and therefore will have a special place in my heart. I also still use it for saves that I can then use to get past the broken bits on Metroid Fusion, so it remains on my MS.

You have contributed more to the PSP emu scene than any other coder and that will always be remembered also.

The fact you are working with Exophase to further his work also shows us what a high calibre person you are. A rare joy in this ME ME ME society. Big, big props to you, my Brother!

I just wanted to add my voice to the plethora of PSP owners who appreciate all the hard work you have done to further the FUNctionality of our PSPs.

I'm looking forward to your next release, you always pleasantly surprise us...:)

DrSarcasmo

jwilds73
August 26th, 2006, 20:43
I can't wait to see ZX-81's new work. He is a great coder. I'd really love to see more applications though. I like using my PSP for more then just emulators and games. Maybe ZX-81 can improve some older apps that aren't being updated or he can develop some of his own from the ground up. I love his updates to the FTP programs. Thanks so much for all your work ZX-81 I really enjoy it.

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 20:44
I know what ever he is working on will be great like usual.

psp411
August 26th, 2006, 22:15
Zx-81, if you see this, i just wwanna say thank you. youve made it possible for me to play pokemon at a decent speed that i wouldnt be bored of and that in itself makes me give u ur props. kinda sad to see this go down the toilet tho. i liked the whole setup in hwoyou could customize your gameplay. well ill still ust your pspvba until i see something better that works just as well as yours but until that day, i will use pspvba. thanx again

dOOmy
August 26th, 2006, 22:52
since this emu is the only one that works with minish cap I will use it for that.

Thanks dood 4 all yur hard work

StealthCP
August 26th, 2006, 23:23
HAH! You've been beaten once, let's see if someone can do it again!! :D:D

You are awsome, though. Keep up the great work. You are a fair coder, and always release your source too. That is what I like to see ;)

YourStillWithMe
August 27th, 2006, 03:08
From YourStillWithMe-Good Luck In The Future Man! You contributed so much to the GBA project

That is all.

Shadowblind
August 27th, 2006, 03:14
Ya cant quit zx. We dont need just 1 GBA emu. And frankly, I beleive most of us dont care if its EXACTLY 60fps (ill settle for 30-40fps)

So ya aint quitin' got it? :(

ganon
August 27th, 2006, 03:38
Thanks for your work zx and ignore all those trolls about saying gpsp is better than your coz they say that to every homebrew that is made from any1

XioN980
August 27th, 2006, 05:02
We'll never forget the work you did for GBA emulation!
Whilst on the subject, Where is Exophase? Seeing as though you've been in contact with him, whats in the next release? He's been pretty quiet since the release.:rolleyes:

pkmaximum
August 27th, 2006, 06:09
You are always doing good work here ZX-81, I look foward to your next project.

donne
August 27th, 2006, 06:40
Sad news. But you're great as a Coder and as a Person. And I respect you. Can't wait to see your next work in the near future.

b8a
August 27th, 2006, 09:39
One more:

Thanks for giving this emulator a go! Though not perfect, it was great to see that not only was it possible, but that it was being worked on.

Much thanks.

Pumped'Up
August 27th, 2006, 21:12
zx-81, you deserve every accolade ever written. Your PSPVBA did wonders for the homebrew scene. I can't wait to see your next projects - you're a real gem in this community! :)

wolfpack
August 27th, 2006, 22:58
R.I.P. good buddy, pspvba was the original emulator that started it all

Masch
August 28th, 2006, 13:37
it was best psp-vba ever, by the world domination

QueadlunnRau
August 28th, 2006, 15:11
zx-81 I LOVED your gui and setup for PSPVBA I really think you and Exophase should work together for the ULTIMATE GBA emulator. LOVE YOUR WORK you put in tons of hours and sweat and blood (well maybe not blood) into giving us a great emu with a TON of potential.

Exophase has done a great job with his emulator, but with your experience on making a great gui/front-end you both could make one of the best/kick arse emulators for the PSP period.

ganon
August 28th, 2006, 18:44
The best gui I seen is in snes tyl 0.42

Video_freak
August 28th, 2006, 18:48
Your right that one rocks!

jak66
August 28th, 2006, 18:55

while true, it probably took up more space than the 'traditional' one (like in NesterJ and and rin) that zx used, which may have made speed slower for the emu, maybe not, but you never know, unless you take time to code it and test it yourself

rdetagle
August 28th, 2006, 19:07
zx, i honestly prefer the vba to the gpsp. it's just more practical. it has better compatibility with the games i play (especially the Meitantei Conan games), but i guess this will improve in the gpsp. so far it just crashes tho. also, it needs better GUI and multiple save states!

RetroGoth
August 28th, 2006, 19:11
zx, i honestly prefer the vba to the gpsp. it's just more practical. it has better compatibility with the games i play (especially the Meitantei Conan games), but i guess this will improve in the gpsp. so far it just crashes tho. also, it needs better GUI and multiple save states!

it's still beta I'm sure all of it will be added in future releases.

jak66
August 28th, 2006, 19:12

pspvba started off with compatability issues, just the same as any (well, most at least) emulator, GUI isnt the most important thing to improve, decorating doesnt help the emu at all really but i cant argue with you about save states (maybe its planned for next release since its on the menu already)

rdetagle
August 28th, 2006, 19:12
by the way zx, any plans to start on a DS emulator? there's a few for PC alrdy, if you could port one it would be a huge advantage to PSP users! :)

jak66
August 28th, 2006, 19:14
...not another ds port wanter, this has already been established as impossible untill the pc ones reach full speed

rdetagle
August 28th, 2006, 19:16
true, but worth a try just for proof of concept anyway ;)

RetroGoth
August 28th, 2006, 19:17
2 screens in the psp screen would look weird.

Raekwik11
August 29th, 2006, 03:36
Man i was hoping zx-81 would go far with this one.
Thanks for making it though.
It brought hope for the homebrew scene.
Without this project maybe there would have never been that full speed emulator because there was no competition.

Cap'n 1time
August 29th, 2006, 04:32
zx, you at one point this would be your last port project. What might you have in store for us?

Pumped'Up
August 29th, 2006, 05:08
ZX, please bring MAME emu (minus the CPS 1 & 2 component) to PSP!!!! ;)

jaws365
August 29th, 2006, 05:50
ZX, it was fun, hope you die with peace.

mr_nick666
August 29th, 2006, 08:41
Congratulations on what you managed to achieve with this ZX :D You were putting the metaphorical square peg in the round hole and exceeded everyones expectations in doing so! :p Your work is legendary - Keep it up you genius ;)

Cross
August 29th, 2006, 15:18
Always a big Thumbs up to anyone who furthers the Homebrew scene (Esp EMU's in my book).

Your efforts were above and beyond. Thanks for taking the time to make everyone else happy with your work.