PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News - Finally Sony Is Supporting Homebrew for PSP ??

wraggster
August 26th, 2006, 19:52
Yes this is groundbreaking news folks now take a look at this screengrab from Sonys PSP Connect Site (http://psp.connect.com/index.php)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/wtfsony.jpg

Anyone who visited the site or looked at the screengrab will have noticed that Sonys Connect Site are advertising a link to the PSP Homebrew Site PSPUPdates, now this is groundbreaking stuff because if Sony themselves on their PSP Connect Download Site are linking to a Homebrew Site then Sony themselves must be supporting Homebrew :)

I am personally a little surprised that Sony have stuck the link on their site, i mean there is the Devhook loader freely downloadable on PSPUpdates which Sony last month shut a Japanese site down for hosting it but Sony must be happy about it ??

So to everyone in the PSP Scene lets all raise a hand to Sony for at last giving homebrew (pity they didnt choose this site but eh everyone makes a mistake) the thumbs Up :eek:

There may be problems though, im sure Nintendo etc will not be happy if Sony are openly encouraging homebrew and with that comes emulators.

Come on people lets discuss and celebrate Sonys seemingly acceptance of the Homebrew Scene.

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 19:53
its about damn time!!!!...wait that means hell has frozen over yay!!!

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 19:57
when comes the new firmware supporting homebrew praytell?

pkmusicmaker
August 26th, 2006, 19:58
I'll really believe it when 3.00 supports homebrew.

JD/
August 26th, 2006, 19:59
if a hombrew available firmware comes out ill be happy to upgrade as long as i still get to load harleygs custom fw onto it :)

steve-b
August 26th, 2006, 19:59
it's like cats and dogs living together!

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 20:00
dudes look at the screeny, it has PSPUpdates on there...they wouldn't put that site up there unless they were supporting homebrew

eazy-e
August 26th, 2006, 20:02
damn

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:04
theres a possiblitlity the site was hacked
i dont agree wit my pops on that, but there is a chance, sony woulda fixed it by now though if they had

Sterist
August 26th, 2006, 20:05
that's not sony's site.

Accordion
August 26th, 2006, 20:06
this is … strange

why link to a site, when most users wont be able to use the content?

as an extra insult to the poor effort of pspupdates…they havent even posted this news yet
!!!!
dumb

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:07
it isnt sonys site you say?

S34MU5
August 26th, 2006, 20:12
that's not sony's site.
its actually sonys psp download site
http://psp.connect.com/
its still up ther so i doubt they wer hacked
'mon the hombrew

joshyouwaa
August 26th, 2006, 20:13
If you go to that page, at the bottom, theres a link to give feedback to the website. Can't hurt to give comments, especially when theyre taking a step in the right direction

Lun23123
August 26th, 2006, 20:15
whois connect.com :

Registrant:
Sony Connect Inc.
2100 Colorado Avenue, Col-2
Santa Monica, CA 90404
US

Domain Name: CONNECT.COM

Administrative Contact :
Connect, Sony
[email protected]
6080 Center Drive
10th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90045
US
Phone: (310) 981-1500

hack.fool
August 26th, 2006, 20:16
I wonder if Sony psOne-psp emu will be with an exploit and a double folder call sony and sony%
lol
however they can sell a lot more psp with an open-firmware...

eazy-e
damn

FrierTuck
yah, thats what i said about it being hacked when my dad said it, i was like, if someone hacked sony, their vengence would be much greater then just adding a link

PSmonkey
Holly hell. If this is real and not just a hack on their site.

Let me say it once, Let me say it twice.

I F**KING TOLD YOU SONY IS MORE HOMEBREW FRIENDLY THEN ALL OTHER 1ST PARTY STUDIOS.

I F**KING TOLD YOU SONY IS MORE HOMEBREW FRIENDLY THEN ALL OTHER 1ST PARTY STUDIOS.

There, twice.

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:17
Why does this happen right after I buy my 1.5... :(
It's still awesome news though!!! :D

JD/
August 26th, 2006, 20:17
thats true they may even catch up 2 DS lol

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:18
thats true they may even catch up 2 DS lol
Yes they will! This thread is going to have 300 posts before you know it. :)

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:19
well, they havent made a new fw yet, so your 1.5 isnt useless

JD/
August 26th, 2006, 20:20
imagine if they released homebrew compatabile firmware :) if I were them i would release a homebrew compatabile firmware that doesnt allow loaders.(their sales would rise so much)

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:21
imagine if they released homebrew compatabile firmware :) if I were them i would release a homebrew compatabile firmware that doesnt allow loaders.(their sales would rise so much)
If I were them, I would allow all future firmwares to be Devhooked. :)

Zion
dont get your hopes up.......

pspupdates could have payed to have that link there.......

Cus sony would know that if they were supporting homebrew, the link would have been DCEMU :D

FrierTuck
well, i hope sony will rig it to load from the mem stick like demos and stuff, that would be muy excelente

jwilds73
So when will the official homebrew developers kit be available? I remain hopeful but skeptical still. If this is true though my PS3 purchase is assured.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:22
Zion, dont be a kill joy, we can hope cant we?

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:22
I'm still never updating. :)

gavind
August 26th, 2006, 20:23
sony hate homebrew, bring out firmware after firmware to block any attempt at using homebrew........ and then link to a homebrew website

i think Sony have forgotten that they dislike homebrew so everyone keep quiet and hope that there next firmware allows it:rolleyes:

Zion
wait, i get it now! Sony have linked to pspupdates so people will be put off homebrew by reading all the flamewars :p

And being flamed for releasing stuff :D

Nice job sony

FrierTuck
what if 3.0 is more compatible then 1.5? would you update then

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:24
This may just be a trap to make us update! :eek:

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:24
what if 3.0 is more compatible then 1.5? would you update then
Yes. but that will never happen. They are enver letting us use isos. (even if they're legal)

JD/
August 26th, 2006, 20:28
thats true i got weak for a moment there never again.

1.5 FOREVER!!!

scarph
August 26th, 2006, 20:29
if this isnt on qj.net yet its not real. they would obviously have first dibs on the story

Video_freak
August 26th, 2006, 20:29
thats true i got weak for a moment there never again.

1.5 FOREVER!!!
Fight the power! Don't fall for the trap! :D

LazerTag
August 26th, 2006, 20:30
What if it's just an advertisement and Sony Connect division simply didn't do their homework first?

I think I'll wait for something more concrete to make an informed decision.

FrozenIpaq
August 26th, 2006, 20:31
if this isnt on qj.net yet its not real. they would obviously have first dibs on the story

I would post about it myself on PSPU, but I need to ask a few people a few things first before I do it. Anyways, Saturdays are busy days, heck I've got to go to church :cool:

Malksta
August 26th, 2006, 20:32
The time has come :D

splodger15
August 26th, 2006, 20:36
What if it's just an advertisement and Sony Connect division simply didn't do their homework first?

I think I'll wait for something more concrete to make an informed decision.

same

been09
August 26th, 2006, 20:37
Would be awesome if Sony supported homebrew. Would be even more awesome if Sony found a way to block pirateing without crippling homebrew.

irondirgible
http://psp.connect.com/channelGameTrailers.php

Why would a Sony site have links to trailers for Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Tetris DS, Mariokart DS, and Metriod Prime 3: Corruption?

hack.fool
This may just be a trap to make us update! :eek:
:D
yeah freak, you're right...they want all of our psp to experiment new upgrade...NOOOOooooOlol

mavsman4457
This is way too good to be true. First of all now I doin't even see the advertisement. Also, if the next firmware is slightly homebrew friendly they will have to make genious limits in order to prevent ISO loading and the PSPSX because that would take business away from their PS1 emu. I hope they prove me wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath. Either way, this is a good small step. In addition the site seems a little too ronchy to be officially Sony.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:38
hmm, well, we wont know anything till a new firmware comes out, as someone might have said in this thread, but still, it looks like were th eonly ones talking about it so far, maybe no one else has noticed

aYu][Takeshi
August 26th, 2006, 20:39
If this is true its realy great ^_^
This can be an act of desperation by sony ...
If the 3.00 is compatible to Homebrew, it will never allow Kernel Mode, so you can't use ISO Loaders and Custim firmwares, but the PSP never get bricked! They never can do more against ISOs and 1.50.

Yes, sony is more homebrew friendly than nintendo and microsoft.
I heard about the PS3 will support Homebrew.

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 20:41
Whenyou are able to support homebrew with any of its new firmware releases i will believe it. I still think its an ambush.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:41
i only want 1 thing out of my psp, i want it to do the sega genesis opening when i turn it on, seriously, that and streaming movies, which i cant do either of thanks to my firmware, but still maybe sony has heard my prayers and is going to put those options in there next fw

Briggzy11
August 26th, 2006, 20:50
Well I still hate sony, but hey I suppose supporting homebrew makes them 1% good to me :) even if it is them at PSPUpdates

pspfan
August 26th, 2006, 20:51
I've seen on PSPUpdates that they have the PSP Connect site linked in their "Featured Content" bar on the side. They probably are some type of affiliates. I'm guessing they think PSP is just a news site, which it is, it covers official titles as well as other non-homebrew things. I don't think they are supporting homebrew. But, hey, I hope they prove me wrong.

Emeriastone
August 26th, 2006, 20:53
all I have to say is wOOt!

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 20:54
well, if they can crawl around our forum for info about how we get our homebrew on, im sure they coulda had a good look att his site, and the link doesnt say its a review site, it says it for getitng stuff to do stuff with your psp

ACID
August 26th, 2006, 20:57
i only want 1 thing out of my psp, i want it to do the sega genesis opening when i turn it on, seriously, that and streaming movies, which i cant do either of thanks to my firmware, but still maybe sony has heard my prayers and is going to put those options in there next fw
So you want the sega boot many of us have it but what i can say is good luck finding it it was very hard:cool:

AnonymousTipster
August 26th, 2006, 21:00
I still have a feeling that this is being taken out of context, and that sony aren't really going to support homebrew.
I'm really torn as to whether to really believe it'll happen. On one hand we've got the almighty Sony actually giving in to hackers. On the other hand we've got Sony's history with Net Yaroze and PS2Linux.
About ISO loading: It may actually be quite simple to disable.
All they need to do is allow all unsigned apps to run, except stop the sceIoAssign function from working. That would stop devhook and ISO loaders from running, but every other application would run perfectly.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 21:03
like where it says "SAY GAA" i totaly need you to email that to me

Crimson_Lotus
August 26th, 2006, 21:05
My heart is actually beating over this. MY CURRENTLY 2.7 PSP might get some use!!!! Sony might actually convince me to buy more memory cards!!!

Gene
August 26th, 2006, 21:05
well its definately no fluke or accident, its been up for a little over an hour. gotta give props to sony for trying! Hopefully this is the beginning of a friendship between Homebrew&Sony.

Wait...WTF?!?! did I just say that??? WTFTW!?!??!!?

w00t w00t!! wow you guys have gotta try and say it out loud.

aYu][Takeshi
August 26th, 2006, 21:06
I thought about it ... why pspupdates? They support illegal Loaders...
If Sony supports homebrew, they will upload it on their own side and do nut link an other side like pspupdates.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 21:09
[Takeshi']I thought about it ... why pspupdates? They support illegal Loaders...
If Sony supports homebrew, they will upload it on their own side and do nut link an other side like pspupdates.

thats true, if sony wanted homebrew, they would have coder submit it to them so they could review the source to make sure we couldnt use it for anything they dont want us to and then have signed eBoots on a website

jinqui242
August 26th, 2006, 21:12
Don't fool yourselves. Sony will never support homebrew, PSPUpdates link or not. When QJ posts the next version of Devhook, they probably won't be on the Connect site for long.

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 21:12
I'm still never updating. :)
me and u both :D

Gene
August 26th, 2006, 21:13
thats true, if sony wanted homebrew, they would have coder submit it to them so they could review the source to make sure we couldnt use it for anything they dont want us to and then have signed eBoots on a website

but they'd never sign a nes, gameboy, snes, or n64 emulator.

finalboss
August 26th, 2006, 21:14
SONY is my daddy & i ask him to put this link for my birthday!!!!!

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 21:16
SONY is my daddy & i ask him to put this link for my birthday!!!!! WTF nvm, yah, then again, what does sony own nintendo lol, i know theyd get sued but still

finalboss
August 26th, 2006, 21:18
I bet the point of that little ad was just to, point out, that this site doesn't approve of illegal content, so they chose to advertise us. Simple.
As they offer - not just homebrew!, BUT...:firmware updates, videos, upcoming accesories,UMD games/movies, etc.
So..yeah, I doubt it was for homebrew.

aries2k4
August 26th, 2006, 21:19
Ya this is definately wierd. On one link you´ve got the fw update. On another you got psp updates? So there telling you to upgrade and then go to that site and look at all the stuff you´re missing, lol. What a contradiction. Sure, pspupdate has news of official products, but lots of news on hombrew. only usable on a 1.5 or with eloader through gta.

PeterM
August 26th, 2006, 21:21
Sorry to rain on your parade, but anyone who seriously takes this as a sign that Sony supports homebrew is either smoking crack or, to be honest, rather dense.

I'd bet my last penny that it's just a paid affiliate link. Some Web Monkey at Sony didn't do his homework, and the higher-ups haven't noticed yet. The Web Monkey in question obviously thought that PSP Updates was just your standard "download media for PSP" site.

I love "teh intarnet" and all the people therein...

AtariFreek
August 26th, 2006, 21:25
I Agree PeterM, Probably A Lowly Sony Worker Got Careless With His Research. And, If Sony Wanted To Support Homebrew, But Not ISO Loaders, And Devhook, Why Wouldn't they Lik To DCEmu? This Site Doesn't Support Those, So It Seems The Logicall Choice. But Maybe Sony doesn't Know This Pure Clean Homebrew Fun Site Exists...

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 21:27
yah yall are right, proably some no homework web monkey, i know who will be losing his job here soon

finalboss
August 26th, 2006, 21:32
Yeah. It seems like a really funny place to place an advertisment. It's funny though, since recent interviews with Sony execs say that they dislike homebrew.

finalboss
August 26th, 2006, 21:34
This is sonys strategy of making money. They want people to know about this site, so when people figure out how great homebrew is, they will tell their friends to get PSP's and do homebrew. Than more people know about homebrew and will buy PSP's.
Then thats how sony will make more money

skater9269
August 26th, 2006, 21:34
there is a link on updates about sony connect to lol.

muffinman
August 26th, 2006, 21:35
im sure the true story will apear in the next couple of days.

gangsta_psp
August 26th, 2006, 21:39
im sure the true story will apear in the next couple of days.
^same^

slayer2psp
August 26th, 2006, 21:50
Intill you can play homebrew on a 2.80 this doesnt mean a thing. and i forgot all about pspupdates havent been there in like a year.the site has nothing i cant get any were else

slayer2psp
August 26th, 2006, 21:54
This is sonys strategy of making money. They want people to know about this site, so when people figure out how great homebrew is, they will tell their friends to get PSP's and do homebrew. Than more people know about homebrew and will buy PSP's.
Then thats how sony will make more moneybut there is really no way yet to play hombrew on the new systems 2.80 and if its that ta82 board or what ever the number is you cant roll it back to play homebrew. like i said use your head this means nothing intill you can play homebrew on 2.80

Pico
August 26th, 2006, 21:57
I Agree PeterM, Probably A Lowly Sony Worker Got Careless With His Research. And, If Sony Wanted To Support Homebrew, But Not ISO Loaders, And Devhook, Why Wouldn't they Lik To DCEmu? This Site Doesn't Support Those, So It Seems The Logicall Choice. But Maybe Sony doesn't Know This Pure Clean Homebrew Fun Site Exists...

Look at this sites list on the left and you'll see "UMD Loaders", now tell me sony knows/cares about any semantic differance. Also pspupdates dont need any registration to download anything, meaning its open to everyone. And best of all its not loaded with links to mod chips and other (illegal from the psp news "we dont support illegal stuff" line) psp mutilating merchandise.

Adduc
August 26th, 2006, 21:58
Look at Microsoft. They saw the popularity with PSP's homebrew and just recently announced XNA for the X360, allowing people to create games for the console pretty cheaply.

Sony's propably gearing up for a similar announcement soon, partly as a strike back and partially to get the PSP media attention again.

Think about it. If demos truly have no access to UMDs at all and they have stripped the code to access / emulate, what's stopping them from releasing software to create demos?

finalboss
August 26th, 2006, 22:02
PSPUpdates admins need to get with Sony. In the past they've been pretty open to developers... Why not start a program for devs to start making legal homebrew? I mean, come on... It might open piracy up, but not if they tighten the system down.

This would be a godsend...

tallica
August 26th, 2006, 22:04
Woah this is crazy! sux they didnt pick this site tho as psp updates sux big time! I have a theory tho

What if this is a dirty trick to make us all update to a new "homebrew ready firm ware" and it turns out its not?

psp411
August 26th, 2006, 22:04
THANK YOU SONy!!! FINALLY!!! well now ill juss buy anoder psp on ma b-day, upgrade it n BOOM!!!(hopefully ittl work with some sony support now n if it doesnt, ill hav ma 1.5 handy:D)

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 22:06
Woah this is crazy! sux they didnt pick this site tho as psp updates sux big time! I have a theory tho

What if this is a dirty trick to make us all update to a new "homebrew ready firm ware" and it turns out its not?
false advertisement, just sue em :D

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 22:08
blaze beat me to it, sue em, its the american way, and yah, maybe it will full support but at like midnight on new years eve, eeryones psp will brick and well have to buy new ones, idk, another theroy is that dark_alex and fanjita are on sonys payroll and they hack the firmware so sony knows what to update, no offense to them, just a thought

Accordion
August 26th, 2006, 22:11
im quite sure that this is a mistake

however, i think it is likely that a YaBASIC port may appear in the near future, or even a yaroze setup,

BL4Z3D247
August 26th, 2006, 22:11
ahh the american way :D

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 22:12
accordian boys next post makes him an old pro

Lodis
August 26th, 2006, 22:19
We have already had the discussion about why Sony cannot allow homebrew. With Homebrew comes the possibility of piracy which Sony simply cannot allow. Sony created the Psp to sell commercial games, not so we can run emulators or homebrew on it, end of story.

mavsman4457
August 26th, 2006, 22:21
Hahahaha, I was just noticing that. It will be interesting to see how many people update after people get PS3's and want to connect their PSP's and PS3's. Also it will be intersting to see how homebrew attempts to have the same functions with PS3 as an updated PSP does. As for the homebrew, I can't see it happening in a million years on the PSP after the attmpts they've made. I am still, however, holding out on the PS3 having homebrew.

Accordion
August 26th, 2006, 22:24
it is very likely that the PS3 will be always online, which means the PS3 firmware can update itself, at night or whenever. it could also send data to sony about your PSP and block you from connectig the two without an update

PlagueMusic
August 26th, 2006, 22:29
least qj gets noobie spam, not us :O

and the page currently shows n64 emu :O

they're screwed with noobies forever, MHHHUUUUAAHHH

SnoopKatt
August 26th, 2006, 22:43
You know, if you don't want any of the consoles to update theirselves, don't connect them to the Internet. And don't set up the Wi-Fi on them either. It's as easy as that.

Accordion
August 26th, 2006, 22:46

tallica
August 26th, 2006, 22:50
I think this could turn ot to be a joke and the page was actualy hacked. It just seems so unlikely that sony would jus give up like that.

Junior
August 26th, 2006, 22:54
I believe whoever put the link on the site didn't know what that site is about.

Or the site was cracked and modified.

Or somebody just made a mistake.

Or there is a single person inside the company who is personally homebrew-happy, and is likely to get fired tomorrow.

Or, or, or.

Seriously, chances that this is going to stay there are SO slim, don't get your hopes up. It just doesn't ... make any sense whatsoever.

dOOmy
August 26th, 2006, 22:58
Its either this or the announcement of the discontinuation of the psp. It kinda sounds like the psp is in real trouble and $ony is getting desperate.

dOOmy
August 26th, 2006, 23:00
A nd I will NEVER go online with my ps3. I do not play with other guys. only myself...you know what I mean

lordnibbla
August 26th, 2006, 23:01
Be very afraid :eek:

Crimson_Lotus
August 26th, 2006, 23:07
must... see.... results!

DragonPimpsta
August 26th, 2006, 23:14
I think sony is humoring homebrew, like soon the ammount of ppl with a nondowngradeable version will be 10x greater than those who have the homebrew versions, meaning once our generation dies off, they remove that link to pspupdatges because it will be of use to no one, which is why we must pass down our psps to our children, and their children, and so forth! But wait, what about the PSP2? =O

Basil Zero
August 26th, 2006, 23:16
hmmmm something doesnt seem right...

if the site was hacked wouldnt they erase that site by now.....something suspicious is going on...

DragonPimpsta
August 26th, 2006, 23:18
oh i have another theory, maybe the people at pspupdates paid sony a load of money, and SONY's department that handles advertising space was like "WHOA! they will be proud how much money we're making!"

thumpa
remember the trojan horse, the pilgrims, and many other unity stories that end in betrayal

just giving u food for thought!!!!

Mariopop87
Yes this is groundbreaking news folks now take a look at this screengrab from Sonys PSP Connect Site (http://psp.connect.com/index.php)

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/wtfsony.jpg

Anyone who visited the site or looked at the screengrab will have noticed that Sonys Connect Site are advertising a link to the PSP Homebrew Site PSPUPdates, now this is groundbreaking stuff because if Sony themselves on their PSP Connect Download Site are linking to a Homebrew Site then Sony themselves must be supporting Homebrew :)

I am personally a little surprised that Sony have stuck the link on their site, i mean there is the Devhook loader freely downloadable on PSPUpdates which Sony last month shut a Japanese site down for hosting it but Sony must be happy about it ??

So to everyone in the PSP Scene lets all raise a hand to Sony for at last giving homebrew (pity they didnt choose this site but eh everyone makes a mistake) the thumbs Up :eek:

There may be problems though, im sure Nintendo etc will not be happy if Sony are openly encouraging homebrew and with that comes emulators.

Come on people lets discuss and celebrate Sonys seemingly acceptance of the Homebrew Scene.
Wow...

Sony finaly gave in.

StealthCP
August 26th, 2006, 23:24
My god, what are Sony up to? I laugh at this Sony. HAHAHAHAHA...

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 23:33
hmm, maybe sony's president decided he wanted to play banjo kazooie on his psp and changed his companys policys so he could, rich people do that sorta sketchy crap alot

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 26th, 2006, 23:39
hell yeah, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! sony likes homebrew!!!!!!!!!!,WWWWWOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!, the war is over!!!!!!!!, we won!!!!!!!!!!!,WOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT. damn, im crazy!!!!!!!!!!,still...........WWWWWWOOOOOOOOTTTT TT!!!!!!!!!

Crimson_Lotus
August 26th, 2006, 23:39
I am going to take the glass as half full and say that the Sony CEO has gone insane... to our profit...

psp411
August 26th, 2006, 23:41
contrary to my last response which my little bro typed( which he will never get the chance to do again) this seems like a breakthrough with sony and homebrew. but people who knows?... it might actually lead to something. as many of you said, sony would've deleted that post if it was true adn would've unleashed hell and all its fury if it was a hack by a hacker but hey, what are the chances of that?:confused: so that would probably be ruled out. This is my theory...

Maybe aliens found out of psp adn wanted to play alien homebrew so they contacted sony and declared a war of the worlds if they didn't advertise a homebrew site. sony being scared out of their pants decided to obey the ultimatum. thus the pspupdates site on their website.
jks:p heres the real thing:D

Maybe sony wants us to believe( well the i think 12-15% of us not at 2.8) that they support homebrew so that they can somehow convince us to upgrade to a partially open homebrew feature. this can explain why that there is a libtiff exploit in 2.8 because as you all know, libtiff is open enough to play some homebrew things such as snes9x adn nesterj when using a eloader but to "closed" to use things like devhook and umd loaders.if this is the case, amny programs will have to be written over again to be compatible with an eboot loader. but hey, its just a contemplation:D
hopefully, it will all be good in the long run:D :cool:

why did they use pspupdates and not this site? oh well in my opinion, both sites are good.

Crimson_Lotus
August 26th, 2006, 23:46
if they allow "full access" I feel sorry for the people that spent the money on the UP chip... for most of them it will be useless unless they make a really cool OS.

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 23:47
wait, 2.8 has homebrew now?

SteveV2
August 26th, 2006, 23:47
Hummm. They have some cartoons up for download :D

However, i've never tried to use MP4 files on my psp.

How exactly do you get these working? Been searching for an hour or so :(

Tried making a floder called, 100MNV01 and sticking them in there with no luck :(

Anyone? :D

Aenea
August 26th, 2006, 23:49
http://psp.connect.com/channelGameTrailers.php

Why would a Sony site have links to trailers for Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Tetris DS, Mariokart DS, and Metriod Prime 3: Corruption?

Go to the FAQ page, scroll down to where they talk about support, it links to the Sony website, so it definately is a Sony website...

Aenea

psp411
August 26th, 2006, 23:50
wait, 2.8 has homebrew now?
nope. i heard that the libtiff exploit works( or to an extent... all ive seen it do is crash the psp) on it and fw 2.7 adn 2.71. if you would like you vould try it by devhooking it(2.71 i believe) or using the original psp with those fw.:)

to see the action, check out youtube and search for libtiff exploit

Aenea
August 26th, 2006, 23:51
This is way too good to be true. First of all now I doin't even see the advertisement. Also, if the next firmware is slightly homebrew friendly they will have to make genious limits in order to prevent ISO loading and the PSPSX because that would take business away from their PS1 emu. I hope they prove me wrong but I wouldn't hold my breath. Either way, this is a good small step. In addition the site seems a little too ronchy to be officially Sony.

Actually they allready have done it, more or less. The newest firmwares can't execute programs in kernel mode and kernel mode is what you need in order to write an ISO loader...

Aenea

FrierTuck
August 26th, 2006, 23:53
ok, just tell me this, can i use my 2.70 to run homebrew with the new tiff exploit

aYu][Takeshi
August 26th, 2006, 23:56
No ^^
You only get your PSP crashed...

psp411
August 27th, 2006, 00:00
ok, just tell me this, can i use my 2.70 to run homebrew with the new tiff exploit

havent seen anything... experiment with it... download fanjita's tiff exploit eloader( i think its called choice). its old wo youll have to search for it:D good luck:)

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 00:01
ok, thats all i needed to here, i was pretty sure i couldnt do crap with it, oh well, maybe this new exploit will yeald a downgrader not requiring gta

schoebey
August 27th, 2006, 00:17
i'm not too sure about the whole story...

if you look at the page's source, you see that all the links under the "ad" section have an "alt" tag (the text that's being displayed when you hover over the picture). Just with that new link there, this "alt" tag is missing....i know, it's only a minor thing but that's a bit suspicious to me

edit: nvm, there is one now, oddly enough...

YourStillWithMe
August 27th, 2006, 00:18
if this is real, it will be kickass i will willingly upgrade my firmware if homebrew is supported!!!!! But i'll still keep a 1.50 though for kicks and to be like yeah this is rare dude i got a 1.50 son!! haha

Raekwik11
August 27th, 2006, 00:52
It's probably because they use homebrew behind our backs and finally are letting us to use it as well.

gotmilk0112
August 27th, 2006, 00:57
this is cool and all and i dont wana be a killjoy but i doubt sony will allow homebrew cuz:

homebrew = less game sales = less money for $ony

stotheamuel
August 27th, 2006, 01:01
Holly hell. If this is real and not just a hack on their site.

Let me say it once, Let me say it twice.

There, twice.

always agreed.

theyve just been pissed about isos

nielsss
August 27th, 2006, 01:06
sony is gone crazy they are on drugs im telling you!

nielsss
August 27th, 2006, 01:13
ok i have send an e-mail to sony about this
''Hi,

My name is Niels Goethals and i am a pleased custumor of the sony psp. But i was just wondering why is there a link to a homebrew hacking website on your connect.com site?''

i will post the answer from sony when i get it.

tallica
August 27th, 2006, 01:21
Tell us what they say in the reply, if they do lol

fire master
August 27th, 2006, 01:21
I think that Sony is just trying to get us to update our 1.50's and think that we would be able to play homebrew on 3.00 when we find out we can't.

sroon
August 27th, 2006, 01:29
YAh I agree Wreggy PSP updates is crap!
But this site iz the gratest!
Theze are too...( O ) ( O )

irondirgible
August 27th, 2006, 01:47
Go to the FAQ page, scroll down to where they talk about support, it links to the Sony website, so it definately is a Sony website...

Aenea

I guess I didn't look too closely at the source of the trailer links (Gametrailers is a general trailer site), but even if the site is legitimate (which it appears to be) it is odd that they would allow advertisements for competitors' products to be seen on pages made to promote their product.

August 27th, 2006, 01:54
Sweet.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 02:03
i thought about emailing sony, but i didnt cause i thought it would make them realize the mistake, and then this thread would be over

roachman
August 27th, 2006, 02:55
Sony has to do something about all the rumours it is in its death throes.

microsoft is now supporting homebrew on the 360
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=18939

if sony wants to continue to compete in the console scene it makes sence to give the customers what they want.

DPyro
August 27th, 2006, 03:37
$n!pR does his research once again! :D

"LINKS FROM OTHER WEB SITES.
Sony Connect is not responsible for the content of any web site linked to the Connect Store. Your linking is entirely at your own risk. Any links are provided for your convenience only and should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the owner/sponsor of the web site. Sony Connect disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, quality, or otherwise of any materials or information contained on such web sites."

mavsman4457
August 27th, 2006, 03:40
$n!pR does his research once again! :D

"LINKS FROM OTHER WEB SITES.
Sony Connect is not responsible for the content of any web site linked to the Connect Store. Your linking is entirely at your own risk. Any links are provided for your convenience only and should not be interpreted as an endorsement of the owner/sponsor of the web site. Sony Connect disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, quality, or otherwise of any materials or information contained on such web sites."

Sniped. Although I do think there is a little bit more to it then that, I don't think it means much.

gslop
August 27th, 2006, 03:50
This is great! Finally sony has opened thier eyes to give us what we really want!

jerrt
August 27th, 2006, 03:54
hell yeah, FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!! sony likes homebrew!!!!!!!!!!,WWWWWOOOOOOOTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!, the war is over!!!!!!!!, we won!!!!!!!!!!!,WOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTT. damn, im crazy!!!!!!!!!!,still...........WWWWWWOOOOOOOOTTTT TT!!!!!!!!!

oh i have another theory, maybe the people at pspupdates paid sony a load of money, and SONY's department that handles advertising space was like "WHOA! they will be proud how much money we're making!"

] >previous theories. i would like to offer mine.

i read the news sites alot concerning the psp. i haven't heard much about the 3.0 firmware updates, and the ps1 emulator.

i have heard of some great advances in the ps1 emulator, and that not much else is know about either thing.

*my theory* maybe sony decided to pay people who have been working on the ps1 emulator for years to make it for them. [save them some money] Also, they could say it is homebrew based and can seem like the support it. All i know is now we will just have to see how much they support it.

I would also like to say, this post has filled up faster than any i've ever seen. [:

enjoy

mikeccc987
August 27th, 2006, 04:02
A while ago I email Sony that they should have homebrew on the PSP because it would help sales and blabla. Maybe they actually listened. But 1,000 other people have probably emailed them two which finally convinced them:D . If its not a fake

Video_freak
August 27th, 2006, 04:02
I'm sticking to 1.5 for life! Legal isos all the way! :cool:

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 04:03
*my theory* maybe sony decided to pay people who have been working on the ps1 emulator for years to make it for them. [save them some money] Also, they could say it is homebrew based and can seem like the support it. All i know is now we will just have to see how much they support it.
enjoy

that doesnt seem like something sony would do just cause it wouldnt cost them much to emulate seeing as how they have all the data and stuff on hand, IMHO of course, proably better then any throy ive put out there

jwilds73
August 27th, 2006, 04:04
Sony's PS1 emulator will be missing alot of games due to licensing restrictions. As I stated before Capcom had a license at one time to publish Marvel characters in their games. They are no longer licensed to do so. Which is why there will never be and never has been any Capcom Collection with the Marvel vs Capcom games. Because they can not republish these without relicensing the Marvel property. Which is currently licinsed to EA. So with Sony's PS1 Emulator requiring us to download the "reformatted" games for their emulator and not allowing us to rip our existing PS1 games alot of titles like this example won't be appearing on the PS1 emualtor.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 04:05
we dont know thats how its going to work, so dont get all up about it yet

Video_freak
August 27th, 2006, 04:08
we dont know thats how its going to work, so dont get all up about it yet
Yeah, don't even go there before they release more information. ;)

jwilds73
August 27th, 2006, 04:11
Guy's it's simple property licensing laws. Unless Capcom was to enter into a new licensing agreement with Marvel they can't republish those games. Now I do hope Sony will allow us to rip our own discs but this is Sony we are talking about and they want us to use a paid download service they are designing and resell us games we already own. I stand behind my theory but I do hope I am proven wrong.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 04:38
well, your entitled to your opinion, and because of schrodingers cat*, your just as right as any of us are

*google it yourself anyone whose interested

RetroGoth
August 27th, 2006, 04:41
Woohooo Great Newsssssss

firedragon_jing
August 27th, 2006, 04:55
Looks as if Sony has given into homebrew, by supporting a homebrew site. Now wheather or not they will allow homebrew to be used on an upcoming firmware is unknown, but it does bring hope. I think they're realizing they can't stop it, and that if they support homebrew in their system, more will ccross over from the DS to the PSP. Sony has supported homebrew before by releasing the Net Yaroze Playstation developement kit, bringing homebrew games like Terra Incognita to the PSX. Hopefully, we'll see this side of Sony again.

jerrt
August 27th, 2006, 05:53
maybe since it is getting harder and harder to find 1.5's and downgrading is only possible for earlier models too, sony has come to embrace it as they see it is time to make themselves seem more homebrew friendly. they will still make new firmware that does not support firmware, but anyone who still has a psp with a low enough firmware to support it can use it. [maybe they think this number is low enough to not be threatening]

maybe it is a way to say thank you to early adopters.

samoht720p
August 27th, 2006, 05:53
here's a little tidbit of n-fo i found on sony's update page:

Notice
The update data contained in software for the PSP® system (UMD™) is the latest version available at the time of the software release. A later version of the update data may be available after the software release. As of July 27, 2006, update data up to version 2.60 are available on a UMD™.

could this mean no more forced updates? hmm...

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 06:13
uhhh no, its just saying if you upgrade your firmware after this, your game will still run

liquid8d
August 27th, 2006, 06:31
I still agree with the hacked theory. I'm sorry, but that is like adding salt to a wound... 'hey, upgrade your firmware... oh wait, btw, here is what you CAN'T have.' Also, I think if they were to actually support homebrew, they would create their own content site, to control what is or is not offered.

Video_freak
August 27th, 2006, 06:34
I completly agree with liquid8d! :)

mnuhaily22
August 27th, 2006, 06:36
I think that sony is actually going to support homebrew in there next firmware so that people would update and have the ability to use the PS3 with the PSP. That way there sales of the PS3 could go up.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 06:36
i think it was my dad who had the first hacked theroy lol as you can see by the post on page one or w/e

samoht720p
August 27th, 2006, 06:38
uhhh no, its just saying if you upgrade your firmware after this, your game will still run

ok then friertuck enlighten me.

one quick question 1st. have u ever seen a umd that required 2.7?

here's another interesting tidbit:

Update using a UMD™
Use the update data included on a UMD™ to perform the update. Click the link above for update instructions.

*As of July 27, 2006, this method is only available for updates up to version 2.60.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 06:52
nope, i have not, that just means that they havent realesed any games with 2.70 fw requirments, dont freak out man

dtothabreezy
August 27th, 2006, 07:08
if this is true sony gets a pat on the back and some more backing from me still cant buy the ps3 but there woud be more reason to talk to my freinds about gettin a psp:cool:

samoht720p
August 27th, 2006, 07:09
nope, i have not, that just means that they havent realesed any games with 2.70 fw requirments, dont freak out man

LOL
i don't plan on jumping to any conclusions until sony provides concrete proof.

just curious...;)

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 07:12
thats fair enough, wow, 160 posts so far today

Cross
August 27th, 2006, 07:18
Not buying it as I say time and time again. Sony is in no way a "Hombrew" Friendly company. They are self serving. If I have said it once I have said it a hundred times:
Go Read "The Japan that could not say No"

I'm not buying it ever, no way. They can't see that far ahead of them for the benefits of the use of homebrew.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 07:20
well, we all are deeply angered with sony, but maybe this si a sign of a peace offering

jaydoo
August 27th, 2006, 08:35
My god, 17 pages of the same comments being repeated by the same people over and over again.

You are amazingly naive! The only way Sony would support homebrew is by submitting code for their approval. You see a mechanism for that in place?

No, you see 1 link on 1 web page.

Accordion
August 27th, 2006, 08:45
Not buying it as I say time and time again. Sony is in no way a "Hombrew" Friendly company. They are self serving. If I have said it once I have said it a hundred times:

I'm not buying it ever, no way. They can't see that far ahead of them for the benefits of the use of homebrew.

as PSmonkey has already said, sony is one of the most homebrew friendly out there, we had the net yaroze, the free yabasic on PS2, the PS2 linux kit…

i find it funny how nintendo can constantly resell ports of their old (and really old) games on multiple consoles, yet no one complains with that.

LampDev
August 27th, 2006, 09:38
How does one translate a tiny graphic on a subsite of Sony as a full-on embrace of the homebrew community?
As others have noted, QJ is simply a news site which the people at psp.connect probably don't know anything about.

There's been no press release detailing plans for homebrew support in future firmware releases. No word at all from QJ.net. Nothing except wild speculation on this forum's thread.

I too, would love it if Sony did embrace the homebrew community and maybe even create a special licensing system for officially supported homebrew developers which would allow them to develop, then have their code available for download via psp.connect, but that shit probably won't happen.

altunozara
August 27th, 2006, 12:43
Omg can noone see hwat there trying to do!

they are clueing to us that the next firmware is gonna beable to have a hack into it...They want us to get a hack to the next firmware...theyre gonna perposely miss something. if they just let it have homebrew who knows what could happen!

they are making us know theres gonna be an exploit in it!

we have to look extra hard for it!

SweetFA
August 27th, 2006, 12:48
If Sony are going to support homebrew it suggests that they're concerned at sales of PSP games and think that the hardware needs something else to sustain sales of the PSP.

DPyro
August 27th, 2006, 15:26
Omg can noone see hwat there trying to do!

they are clueing to us that the next firmware is gonna beable to have a hack into it...They want us to get a hack to the next firmware...theyre gonna perposely miss something. if they just let it have homebrew who knows what could happen!

they are making us know theres gonna be an exploit in it!

we have to look extra hard for it!
I already know 3.00 will be (fairly) easy to hack, but shhh don't tell anybody. :rolleyes:

alepus
August 27th, 2006, 15:53
If Sony are going to support homebrew it suggests that they're concerned at sales of PSP games and think that the hardware needs something else to sustain sales of the PSP.

sweetFA, u're still alive! :) long time no see. still kickin at the emuboards?

MalumEnSe
August 27th, 2006, 17:40
Hats off, Wragg! This thread (and the previous one) have truly been amusing. The funny thing is that no one, not even you, have had the simple logic to realize exactly what is going on.

Now ill be 100% honest, either PSP Connect are being paid for the Linkage or its a MAJOR cock up on their side.

Wrong on both counts. Can't wait for your next over-exagerrated theory. This really isn't as big of a deal as you'd like to make it out to be... but then you have had a problem with sensationalizing "news" lately (if that's what you want to call it).

Also funny how you haven't tried to contact me or anyone else at QJ about it either... but thanks for tossing lots of traffic to us and PSP Connect! :)

Video_freak
August 27th, 2006, 17:42
Hats off, Wragg! This thread (and the previous one) have truly been amusing. The funny thing is that no one, not even you, have had the simple logic to realize exactly what is going on.

Wrong on both counts. Can't wait for your next over-exagerrated theory. This really isn't as big of a deal as you'd like to make it out to be... but then you have had a problem with sensationalizing "news" lately (if that's what you want to call it).

Also funny how you haven't tried to contact me or anyone else at QJ about it either... but thanks for tossing lots of traffic to us and PSP Connect! :)
Your right, we've been getting good threads latley! :)

m64fan
August 27th, 2006, 20:10

yeah any low class worker could have gotten confused
by the name pspupdates

m64fan
August 27th, 2006, 20:32
i say people who have nothing to lose like 2.7 user should test it

Destroyer699
August 27th, 2006, 20:58
That would be me.

Pumped'Up
August 27th, 2006, 21:07
This is GREAT news!!! Can't wait to see what Sony does in their next fw - hopefully we can all enjoy homebrew on fw2.9 or whatever...

Btw, my vote goes to DCEmu as the best PSP site, hands down. Too bad Connect didn't link to this site. ;)

Crimson_Lotus
August 27th, 2006, 21:39
"Don't just play with it.... Use it.." seems kinda self explanatory that they KNEW what was there.

FrierTuck
August 27th, 2006, 22:18
only time will tell if Sony has become indifferent to hombrew

stotheamuel
August 27th, 2006, 22:22

i hope you are prepared to eat your own foot

Prasoc
August 27th, 2006, 22:50
I hope that it works ^_~

wolfpack
August 27th, 2006, 23:48
ill believe it when i can load homebrew on the 3.00 firmwire off my memorystick from the main menu

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 01:50
i dont think sony will make special allowances and rewrite, i think there just gonna stop blocking access routes to homebrew on purpose

cloud_952
August 28th, 2006, 02:08
o_o All I'm going to say is that when you look at it logically.. I have NO idea why anyone in their right mind would think that Sony's going to accept homebrew.

Seriously. Look at the facts. It's purely delusional fantasy that anyone would suggest Sony's going to do this. And yes, I would be willing to make a monetary bet on this. This is a link made by one of Sony of America's web-jockeys. This person knows nothing of, nor do they have any control over, Sony of Japan's policy or firmware upgrades.

People are too willing to close their eyes and believe in magic with no regard to fact. Again, consider that Japan is always the one that makes the firmware. They choose the policy. Now stop and ask why you think that one web-jockey for the American branch putting up a easily typed hyper link means that there's a policy change for the entirety of Sony. Really, think about it.

And if you still believe it.. I have this really nice bridge that I'd love to sell you. Seriously, it's really cheap, practically mint, and it's made of gold.

If anyone wants to take me up on the bet, let me know. We'll find third-party holding service, and I'll put money on the line that Sony will not support homebrew. ^^

AlexB123
August 28th, 2006, 02:24
I posted this in the other thread but people just seem to ingore it, so here it is:

"This is just an add. No more, no less. I poked around and was told that its JUST an add. Sorry to disappoint everyone. Seems it was chosen at random from a list of top viewed/visited PSP sites actually."

Crimson_Lotus
August 28th, 2006, 03:10
people already understand that there is the 99.99% that it's just an advert, but are trying to keep hope in that .01%.. That is why people "seem" like they are ignoring you, we just don't want to listen to it lol ;)

Chackan
August 28th, 2006, 03:22
Prolly Sony won't ever accept homebrew, and this as given us all fake hopes. But hey, you never know, maybe Sony as finally realized that suporting Homebrew is the best thing that they could do.

We portuguese have a saying that goes like:"A esperança é a ultima a morrer". Something like :"Hope is the last to die" ^^'

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 04:21
we americans have a saying too, its "Charge it!!!" lol i agree with Chackan, its all about hope

stotheamuel
August 28th, 2006, 05:51
sony is a the most supporting of homebrew of all

with dev kits and linux and all tons of stuff for previous consoles

I Bet if psp hadnt been hacked to play isos... there would be homebrew allowed

Crimson_Lotus
August 28th, 2006, 06:03
sony is a the most supporting of homebrew of all

with dev kits and linux and all tons of stuff for previous consoles

I Bet if psp hadnt been hacked to play isos... there would be homebrew allowed

I'd doubt that... Nintendo would get on their case about NES, SNES, and N64 emulation... Especially with the upcoming Wii's "Virtual Console."

But without that I still doubt Sony would allow it, because they wouldn't "think" they were making a profit off of it and as big businesses go... If you don't make money off it, you don't need it...

What we are hoping, is that Sony see's that a wide audience would use homebrew, and therefore buy their system for it... Which is basically what I bought my NDS lite for...

pibs
August 28th, 2006, 06:43
Sounds like a marketing plan.............

kind of reminds me of the old satellite days when u just bought the system and no need for subscription and you got channels from around the world.

of course im wrong but thats my opinion.

goldenmage
August 28th, 2006, 07:41
Well, perhaps sony will release special "approved" apps to be DL'ed from their site and played on the PSP. Things like WiFi radio and eBook readers...Its a definite possibility, its legal, and it's the closest thing to homebrew that fw 2.7+ users will ever hope for.

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:00
could you get channles from the other side of the world? cause i know american tv is some of the lamest in the world, so Russian Sat signals would be a great relief during particualry boring blocks and @goldenmage, check out the devolpment in the new libtiff exploit, i just tried the hello world app

pibs
August 28th, 2006, 08:07
from what i remember the old sat's would pick up on every channel in the world. but i doubt they work now cuz i always see them all broken and upsidedown.

FrierTuck
August 28th, 2006, 08:12
that satelite reciever or the picture, cause im like, how hard coild it be to flip it over lol

R4mbo
August 28th, 2006, 12:00
If they really gonna support Homebrew i gonna buy a ****ing ps3, even if it is so expensive.

KenshinKajima
September 9th, 2006, 01:34
U know, i was thinking, what they could do is make you submit your 'brew to them and if they think its legal they give you the thumbs up and hand over a psp sig code

FrierTuck
September 10th, 2006, 05:10
yah, but they would be like ehhhhhh every time