PDA

View Full Version : Nds aim

xzerox
August 27th, 2006, 15:33
America Online Inc has enlisted Novell Inc in its battle with Microsoft Corp for control of the instant messaging market. The deal goes further than some of the distribution deals its has signed with ISPs, because as well as the two companies developing a co-brand instant messenger product, AOL IM will be tightly integrated with Novell Directory Services (NDS) and Novell will also develop a co-branded portal using Netscape's Custom Netcenter tool. Novell is, of course, no friend of Microsoft Corp, but the Provo, Utah-based company says the two companies began talking about this tie-up many months ago, long before the launch of MSN Messenger in July that sparked the feud.

Like all the AIM agreements that AOL has recently signed to try and offset the Microsoft challenge, it is not exclusive says AOL. That means that Novell and the others, including Apple, Lotus, Earthlink and Mindspring could conceivably sign on to Microsoft's rival Messenger service. But as AOL is currently blocking messages from MSN Messenger, it wouldn't make much sense. AOL plays down the tit-for-tat battle with Redmond, but because these deals are not exclusive it is important that AOL makes it fairly pointless to sign similar deals with Microsoft as well.

The only other enterprise software company to sign on to this AIM program so far is IBM Corp's Lotus Development Corp, which did so way back in late 1997. AOL was talking up the interoperability with Lotus's SameTime product, which NDS users will be able to access through this deal. NDS could be used to define members, policies and security of AIM groups more easily than the current AIM tool, which some enterprise users may not be as familiar with as the tens of millions of individuals that use it every day. In addition, says Novell, NDS will able easier access to AIM for mobile users who will be able to pick up their buddy lists and preferences from anywhere on an NDS-enabled network.

Junixx
August 27th, 2006, 15:35
Hrmrm......i think this is somewhat spam, it has nothing to do with a DS

chemical
August 27th, 2006, 16:40
lol, once again you make a fool of yourself, there not talking about the Nintendo DS =-X

The Hombrew Hunter
August 27th, 2006, 16:45
He tries to look good by posting stupid news.

Fool...

battleroyalex
August 27th, 2006, 17:04
what a waste of everyones time

Trigger_Happy00
August 27th, 2006, 18:25
Ouch... just ouch. May I reccomend not posting? For the sake of not making another embarassing mistake.

CampaKaze
August 27th, 2006, 20:33
O BLAARGGAG!? hehe

killaruna810
August 27th, 2006, 23:29
this may sound very stupid so forgive me, but by "NDS" in that post do they really mean nintendo DS?

Junixx
August 27th, 2006, 23:31
No, they mean (N)ovell (D)irectory (S)ervice

CampaKaze
August 28th, 2006, 01:10
I dont mean to post twice but...

If the was an Owned section in the forum, this would be in it! >.<

BlueStar
August 28th, 2006, 01:20
you got my hopes up with the topic name. you suck.