PDA

View Full Version : OpenBoR v2.0049 for PSP (Beats of Rage)

SamuraiX
August 28th, 2006, 02:07
http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/PSP/images/A%20Tale%20Of%20Vengeance%20-%20ScreenShot%20-%2001.png
By SamuraiX

New Official Release of the fighting game Beats of Rage which is also known as OpenBor. Heres whats new:

New Features Created By SamuraiX:

New variables are used in levels.txt

completebg 1 Shows complete.gif for stage complete.
pscore x,y,x,y,x,y This controls placement for players name, dash, score.
p1namej x,y & p2namej x,y This controls placement for Select Hero, Name Text, continue, credits and gameover when joining in game.
scomplete x,y,x,y,x,y This controls placement for Stage, #, Complete.
cbonus x,y,x,y,x,y This controls placement for Clear Bonus, #, #.
lbonus x,y,x,y,x,y This controls placement for Life Bonus, #, #.
tscore x,y,x,y,x,y This controls placement for Total Score, #, #.

I've implemented Hardware Acceleration on the SDL Version. So things should look better and smoother in full screen mode.

Removed times completed from settings.sav! Since we support it also in the game saves there was no need to have in settings.sav. This way people can't cheat with other mods. Alot of BUG FIXES from v48!!!!

And I've finally implemented GPU support on the PSP. Mods that ran at 40 fps now run at 150+ fps! depending on the mod of course. But none the less the speed increase is Great!

Big thanks to Jim at pspdev.org for his sugguestions on how to handle data using the GPU! Thank You Jim!

New Features Created By Fugue:

Here are explanations of the new features, and how to use them. As always, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know so I can work on them.

Vaulting:
Thanks goes to CGRemakes for helping fix this feature.
Here's how it works: Give all your grabbable enemies a height value. Give a player a non-looping VAULT animation. Instead of putting the offset point at the player's feet, put it at the location you want the player to rotate around. For instance, if you want the player to grab the enemy's shoulders and flip over them, put it where the player's hands are. Also, add a blank frame (one without any graphics in it) with a delay of 1 before the VAULT animation begins.
Now, start up the game and go grab someone. Press jump. The player will play their vault animation, and their offset will be centered on the enemy, at their head level. Once the animation is finished, the player will turn around.
I can see why people have wanted it added. As useless as it seems to flip over someone's head midgrab, it sure is a heck of a lot of fun.
At the moment, all it does is put you behind the opponent. However, adding new moves which are used from the back shouldn't be too hard to do.
The blank frame with a delay of 1 is just there to take care of a bug that we've been unable to fix so far. It's really hard to see the blank frame, even when you look for it, so it shouldn't be a problem.
One more thing- for now, don't try vaulting when next to a wall. Currently, it'll just put the player inside the wall. This will be fixed later.

New attack types:
There are three new attack types: attack2, attack3, and attack4. They work just like shock, burn, and attack. The only difference is that they don't change to the last frame of the normal FALL animation when their FALL animation is finished (shock and burn both do this). These also have custom PAIN, FALL, and DEATH animations, naturally (PAIN2, FALL2, DEATH2, PAIN3, FALL3, etc.).

Attack chains:
You can now pretty much set up your basic attack string in any order you want. If you use the new atchain command, you can specify up to five attacks (Although there are only 4 ATTACK animations right now, more could be added very easily). Just give it five numbers in order. 0 means don't use any attack (i.e. end the attack string), 1 means ATTACK1, 2 means ATTACK2, and I think you can guess the rest.
If you use this, you should fill any unused steps in the combo with 0 (i.e. a 3-hit combo should be something like
atchain 1 2 3 0 0
), although it isn't neccessary.
Enemies can also use ATTACK4 just ATTACK1, ATTACK2, and ATTACK3. Just give it a range.
Unless you're using the new CHARGEATTACK animation, the last attack in a player's attack chain will be used if players hold attack for 3 seconds and let go (even if the last attack isn't ATTACK3).

New jumping animations:
Two new midair animations, JUMPCANT and JUMPSPECIAL.
If you assign an MP cost to a Jumping attack, and attempt to use the attack without enough energy, the JUMPCANT animation will play (If it's there, otherwise, nothing will happen). If the player does have a JUMPCANT animation, they will also start falling, as if they had 'tripped' in midair.
If you press the Special button in midair, you will perform your JUMPSPECIAL (You can also call it SPECIAL3, the engine will read either one). Don't set this to loop. While playing your JUMPSPECIAL animation, your player will not fall down- they hover in midair. They'll still move around if you use move commands, but until the animation ends they will disobey the laws of gravity.

BURNDIE/SHOCKDIE:
You can now have seperate death animations for burning and shocking. They're called "SDIE" and "BDIE."

Charging:
There's now a CHARGE animation. To use it, hold special and press and hold jump (Or press and hold both at the same time). As long as the buttons are held, the player will play their CHARGE animation over and over again, and will quickly recover MP at a specified rate. The recovery increases MP 4 times more often than the normal time-based MP recovery. You can specify the specific rate using the new chargerate command (You can define it seperately for each character. The default is 2).
Oh, by the way, Players can't charge if there are no enemies present. Otherwise they could just max out their energy before every encounter.

BACKWALK:
You can now give enemies a BACKWALK animation. If they have it, they will play it when walking backwards instead of just playing their WALK animation in reverse.
If an enemy is on a different 'z' than the player they're facing, and walk behind the player, they will NOT switch to this animation. They will continue to play their normal WALK animation.

SLEEP:
You can give players a SLEEP animation which will play if the player does not move at all for a while. If set not to loop, players will return to their IDLE animation when it finishes. If you use a FAINT animation as well, this is overridden by FAINT if players are low on life. How long a player will wait before playing this animation is set by the new 'sleepwait' command which can be set seperately for each player. The default is 1000. If you want to get an idea of how long that is in real time, MP will refill under 'typemp 2' every 200.

CHARGEATTACK:
If this animation is present, players will use it instead of the last attack in their atchain when they hold down attack for three seconds and let go.

flipframe:
This is specified exactly like jumpframe, except you use the word 'flipframe' instead, and you only pass in the frame number. When the specified frame is reached, the entity will turn to face the opposite direction automatically. Management is not responsible for damages caused by putting this command in silly places like the WALK animation.

nopain:
Works just like nodrop and nograb. An enemy with this flag will not play any of their PAIN animations when hit- they won't even slow down (unless you're using a hitpause, in which case it doesn't really matter since you slow down as well). This is independant of nodrop and nograb, so you can have any combination of either, neither, or all three set. Try to remember that an enemy with all three of those features will be nearly unstoppable once they begin attacking.

credit:
This can go in an entity's .txt file or in a level spawn. When given to an item, that item will give the player(s) an extra credit when picked up. Like all other item bonuses, only one can be given to an item at a time.

escapehits:
This is for enemies and can be set on a per-enemy basis. All you need to give it is a number. If an enemy is hit this many times in a row without being knocked down or having a chance to counterattack, they will automatically perform their SPECIAL2 animation to counterattack. That'll teach players to spam the first three hits of a combo.
The count will be reset whenever the enemy uses any animation but IDLE, FAINT, or any of the PAIN animations, even if that animation doesn't complete.

mprate:
This affects both methods of MP recovery (by time and by hitting enemies). If typemp is set to 1, this is the amount of MP players will recover on a hit (defaults to 1). If typemp is 2, this is the amount of MP players will recover on regular intervals (defaults to 2). You can give this to each player individually.

itemtrans:
Makes dropped items transparent. This belongs in level spawns. You can use any of the new transparency types.

mpbarsize:
This works exactly like lifebarsize. It just affects the MP bar instead.

p1mp/p2mp:
These commands work like p1life and p2life, except with the MP bar.

trans/alpha:
Setting it to 1 still gives alpha transparency like before, but now you can also use 5 other kinds of transparency! Here they are:

2: The entity will use negative alpha transparency (the darker colors are stronger, like shadows).
3: The entity will overlay transparency. It's described in the engine as being a combination of alpha and negative alpha, and the formula is "bg<128 ? multiply(bg*2,fg) : screen((bg-128)*2,fg)". Try it for youself.
4: The entity will use hardlight transparency. Seems to be the opposite of overlay. The formula is "fg<128 ? multiply(fg*2,bg) : screen((fg-128)*2,bg)".
5: The entity uses dodge transparency. Described in the code as being "Very nice for a colourful boost of light."
6: The entity will use 50% transparency. The entire entity will be 50% transparent: every pixel will be averaged with the pixel right behind it.
Of course, I didn't code these myself. I found the last four transparency types listed, but not used, in one of the support files. So I don't know too much about them, except that they work.
Something else I've noticed probably worth mentioning: remapped entities CANNOT use transparency. In other words, if an entity is displayed in a remap pallete, it WILL NOT use it's alpha setting. This is a limitation of the actual engine, as there are seperate sprite-displaying functions for remapped entities and transparent entities (And only one can be used to display a single entity). Although I'd guess it could be worked around, I don't have any idea where to even start looking.

These go in MODELS.txt:

lifescore/credscore:
lifescore is how many points players must earn to get a 1-up. credscore is how many points are needed for a continue. Set either to 0 to prevent players from getting 1-ups or credits from points.

blockratio:
If this is set, blocking will not completely nullify damage. Entities will still take one fourth of the original damage.

mpblock:
If set, damage taken while guarding is removed from the MP bar instead of the Health bar. If players run out of MP, it's taken from the health bar instead. This obviously doesn't affect enemies, and it doesn't do anything if blockratio isn't set either.

nochipdeath:
Also needs blockratio. With this on, entities can't die from chip damage (damage taken while blocking). They can be reduced to 1 health, but they won't die as long as they succesfully block the attack.

noaircancel:
You may have noticed that, while you're in air, you can interrupt any move by simply using another attack. For instance, you can press attack, then quickly press down+attack and skip any remaining frames in the normal JUMPATTACK animation.
If noaircancel is set to 1, players can't change to another attack while jumping unless the old animation is not set to loop and has finished playing.
If set to 2, players simply can't change to another animation after attacking until they land and jump again.

And these are old features which have been updated:

aggression/risetime:
It's back! Except that it's been divided into two different fields. aggression is a positve or negative integer which will decrease (or increase if it's negative) the amount of time an enemy will pause before launching an attack once players are in range. For the most part it's not a huge difference, and there's still a random element to it, but it's still there. The other part is risetime. It determines how long they'll wait on the ground after FALLing down before they get back up.
The default for both is 0. Positive numbers decrease delays, negative numbers increase delays.

Followups:
Also back! This uses two new commands, 'followcond' and 'followanim.' followanim takes one argument, a number from 0 to 4. If you give it a number greater than 0, it will try to use that FOLLOW animation if the followup conditions are met. Those conditions depend on the followcond command, which takes one argument as well:
1: This animation will followup as long as it hits an entity.
2: This animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy (Or player if an enemy uses it).
3: This animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy and the target does not get killed or block the attack.
4: This animation will followup as long as it hits an enemy, and the target is not killed, does not block the attack, and is not set to be ungrabbable.

Counterframes:
These are also back. They use 'followanim' to determine which animation to play next, but they have a different command to control the conditions ('counterframe'). counterframe takes 3 arguments:
counterframe: The first argument is the number of the frame in which the counterattack is available. The user must be hit in this frame in order to counter.
countercond: The conditions under which the counter will be used:
1: The counter will always be used.
2: The counter will be used as long as the attacker was an enemy (Or a player if an enemy uses it).
3: The counter will be used as long as the attacker was an enemy, the attack was not unblockable, hits the user from the front, and was not a FREEZE attack.
counterdamage: This is a flag which controls damage.
0: The entity which performs the counterattack will not take any damage from the attack.
1: The entity which performs the counterattack will take damage, even if the counterattack is successful.

rock:
The two new rock types are back. Just use 'rock 2' or 'rock 3' instead of 'rock 1' in a stage file to get a different rocking pattern.

Removed openbor_PSP-v2.0049-007.rar. Download new build openbor_PSP-v2.0049-008.rar

RetroGoth
August 28th, 2006, 02:11
nice!!

dj2005
August 28th, 2006, 02:33
Wow, this has gone a long way. Great job.

watupgroupie
August 28th, 2006, 02:47
this is an awsome game for the psp. no need for improvemnt now. if you get bored keep up the good work.

SamuraiX
August 28th, 2006, 02:51
Wifi has to be next! Its the only thing left. Besides adding new features here and there.

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 02:57
Dawd will be happy this is released because hes making some mods :)

Thank you SamuraiX its fantastic and great to see so many additions in 1 upgrade :) this will be used :) I would suggest Wifi as well and perhaps something unique like more than just a 2 player version with high score table for both players as a team :)

...Or perhaps a online ranking system :)

yobusta
August 28th, 2006, 03:13
how do you play this game. i open it on my psp and get to this menu but i dont know how to get to the game

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 03:24
Give the readme a quick read yobusta :) It tells you where to install all folders and files...

...Happy gaming :D

Illegal Machine
August 28th, 2006, 03:42
Dude I appreciate your work, and you surely are a highly proficient coder, but can you start working with that Daedalus dude?

it seems like he can use the help from someone who knows what their doing...

otherwise he's gonna take till like next year to finish that

SamuraiX
August 28th, 2006, 03:49
you know i forgot to include the readme. Just play a pak file in the paks directory, highlight it, then press x.

You can find every single mod ever created at www.borgeneration.com

Mr. Shizzy
August 28th, 2006, 05:58
Whoa! This is AWESOME. I have never modded a homebrew. How would I do that? Do they go in the "paks" folder? So this would mean you could have several mods & load them up as I choose? Wow. I just downloaded the resident evil & mortal kombat mods. This was a most pleasant surprise. Thanks to Samaria X :)

EDIT: The mods work great. Just dl one and stick the single .pak file that comes in the mod in the paks folder. My only disappointment is the Mortal Kombat mod doesn't appear to be PSP compatible. (Maybe there will be a PSP version release :D ) I suggest that everone try this. It's one of the best homebrews I EVER had the pleasure to play. Thanks again!!!:)

D0N
August 28th, 2006, 09:17
Excellent work Samurai X! But ,of course, I already knew about this ;)

tuta
August 28th, 2006, 09:48
Great release here just been Into BOR n stuff in my Psp but why does it lag after I killed a boss?

Its like so damn lag before that all is good but when I kill a boss the whole bor just lags in some sort of slow motion action(it neva happens in my pc),Ohr and the mods I tried were stains of deception and One was a guilty gear mod featuring hayato I think.
All I did was just drag all the 1.5 files to me psp.Am I missin somthin?Or anythin wrong with my set up?

Or maybe my mods aren't compatible?

D0N
August 28th, 2006, 10:57
It's a slow motion action after every boss is killed. It's not a lag..it's a feature..That's what used to happen in the original Streets Of Rage as well. It'll slow down as soon as you have killed the boss and then speed up again.

shrimpidy
August 28th, 2006, 12:44
This game looks AMAZING. I can only wish I never upgraded to 2.8. But my brother is plannign to get a PSP. There is still a chance of hombrew for me again.

SamuraiX
August 28th, 2006, 14:50
Great release here just been Into BOR n stuff in my Psp but why does it lag after I killed a boss?

Its like so damn lag before that all is good but when I kill a boss the whole bor just lags in some sort of slow motion action(it neva happens in my pc),Ohr and the mods I tried were stains of deception and One was a guilty gear mod featuring hayato I think.
All I did was just drag all the 1.5 files to me psp.Am I missin somthin?Or anythin wrong with my set up?

Or maybe my mods aren't compatible?

Its a bug that I fixed and will post it later on today. I didn't realize that the GPU would effect gameplay. So, I'm fixing the little issues as speak.

QueadlunnRau
August 28th, 2006, 15:19
Mang after every weekend I come back to the DCEmu scene with treats!

The PSP OpenBOR project is AWSOME downloading this now. ^_^

Does anyone know if this release fixes most of the complete mod's where sprites/enemies appear 1/2 screen in widescreen/full mode?

Raekwik11
August 29th, 2006, 03:28
wow:eek: that is a lot of changes in the game.
Keep up the good work.

JD/
August 29th, 2006, 03:35
This game looks truly awesome i thought homebrew couldnt get any better after neo flash comp but i see i was wrong :)

tuta
August 29th, 2006, 07:12
Its a bug that I fixed and will post it later on today. I didn't realize that the GPU would effect gameplay. So, I'm fixing the little issues as speak.

Great Cant wait for the newer release and what mod is that in the front page with the guy from samurai showdown and benimaru I never seen that before muz be nice:)

Ohr and since there are so many new features are ther any roms that already been implemented with these new features?And what are the best mods out there so far I am really hooked on BOR extra

SamuraiX
August 29th, 2006, 14:30
check out borgeneration.com for all your needs. Battle Toads is one of the newer mods. Fun too.

MicroNut
August 29th, 2006, 15:10
I played Beats of Rage, Asterix & Caeser and Final Fight - Apocalypse.
All of them locked up after playing for about 10 min.

SamuraiX
August 29th, 2006, 16:34
Really... i will try those mods out.

But there was a significant bug found that has been fixed. Basically, its a bug that existed since my first release of Beats Of Rage. I improperly implemented the timer logic. I would of never noticed if I never implemented the GPU!

Download v-008! Then let me know if you still have problems with those mods.

Basically this re-implementation of the timer logic fixed random speed ups during gameplay that was found in the last version (v-007) and lock ups after beating a boss.

There should be no critical bugs now. Have fun

jurkevicz
August 29th, 2006, 22:59
I hope he'll add ZIP support. That would be great!:)

SamuraiX
August 29th, 2006, 23:38
That is an idea.... I will look into it.

MicroNut
August 30th, 2006, 02:30
Download v-008!

This works much better!
Noticed that the link is fixed at the top of the page too.

Thank you!

mr_nick666
August 30th, 2006, 08:44
Wifi has to be next! Its the only thing left. Besides adding new features here and there.

This is awesome! :D (Its one of the few permanent residents on my XMB) ;) Just add WIFI and my world will be complete! :rolleyes:

Mr. Shizzy
August 31st, 2006, 17:36
WIFI & hopefully Mortal Kombat pak to be PSP compatible. (I'm really praying for the MK thing.)

jurkevicz
August 31st, 2006, 21:59
:) Much better now! :D

kando
October 2nd, 2006, 06:49
you know i forgot to include the readme. Just play a pak file in the paks directory, highlight it, then press x.

You can find every single mod ever created at www.borgeneration.com

ty samuri, this is the only link i've found that still has working mods =)

cheers!

NovaKane
October 2nd, 2006, 17:23
My current favorite game and demo are:
- Strider X (complete)
- A Tale of Vengeance (demo)

Does every pak work with the lastest version of OpenBOR? I tried to play Hatchet Ninjaz and it didn't work. It just exited me out of the emulator. I never had a problem playing older paks (including HN) before though so I don't know what could be the problem. Any suggestions?

Apoklepz
November 8th, 2006, 17:15
My current favorite game and demo are:
- Strider X (complete)
- A Tale of Vengeance (demo)

Hey NovaKane...any chance you could tell me where to get these two mods? I'm particularly interested in the "Strider X" one...

Found a bug... the last mod update on Mr. Q's "Final Fight Apocalypse 2nd Edition" will lock up after selecting characters. I downloaded it from borgeneration.