PDA

View Full Version : PSP Keyboard possible?

motz
August 28th, 2006, 08:47
Crait from our forums (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=198595) has demonstrated something rather interesting related to the possibility of a PSP Keyboard.

Many of you may remember that Logic3 had planned to release a keyboard but due to lack of information Sony were willing to give them, it was later cancelled.

Here is what crait has to say about this:

hey all, im working on this thing that lets me control my psp with a keyboard, and i might encorporate it into my game, but as of now, i dont have a usb keyboard
but i put some dl files that converts keyboard input into psp input, but as of now they dont work, and im not sure if they will work or not
With some luck (and a little coding :D ), this little piece of hardware may bring PSP users a keyboard!

Original Thread (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=198595)

Images via comments

pibs
August 28th, 2006, 08:51
Keep up the good work!

benh
August 28th, 2006, 09:00
great work, i would love a psp keyboard

LampDev
August 28th, 2006, 09:13
That is a standard usb coverter, right?

motz
August 28th, 2006, 09:23
That is a standard usb coverter, right?
Yep, all that is required is some decent coding. :)

Uruz 6
August 28th, 2006, 10:00
Good work, keep it up!!

BL4Z3D247
August 28th, 2006, 10:03
yeh this would be nice to have

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 28th, 2006, 10:15
Doe's it work tho ? it;s easy enuff to knock up a lead or adapter.

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 10:21
The custom firmware will be needed for this really as the custom firmware can install the keyboard codes...

...Try to get in touch with Dark Alex or HarleyG and see if they can do this :) I can get in touch with HarleyG but he takes ages reply lol

ACID
August 28th, 2006, 10:24
Gerat work keep it up.

emuking
August 28th, 2006, 10:54
cool hope it happens soon

jaws365
August 28th, 2006, 11:45
This is revolution!!! Good luck! Canīt wait to use Commodore 64 trackers with full keyboard.

b8a
August 28th, 2006, 11:46
Hmm, not to be a gloomy gus, but since he hasn't done anything yet, how is this news?

This won't work for the same reason that you can't use a USB hard drive with your PSP. The device he's connecting needs to be a "master" device in order for the PSP to read data from it, since it only supports slave mode.

Obviously the PSP has some sort of support for USB devices and if the person who made the original post was coding in a lower level language than Lua, I might think there was something to this. But, no offense, it's going to take a little more hacking than can be done with rudimentary Lua coding skills to get a USB device to work with the PSP.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that people are trying to explore the secrets of the USB port.

steve-b
August 28th, 2006, 11:53
I can't wait to get a keyboard and then hopefully someone will develop a mud client for PSP. porting tintin would be awesome

shrimpidy
August 28th, 2006, 12:37
SWEET! The cell phone keyboard is something i hate on phones and its even worse on the psp. Let's pray that this works. The joystick looks like a longshot but could there be any possiblity to use it as a second analog stick?

.:}<3\/!}\{:.
August 28th, 2006, 12:50
very nice indeed

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 28th, 2006, 12:59
Hmm, not to be a gloomy gus, but since he hasn't done anything yet, how is this news?

This won't work for the same reason that you can't use a USB hard drive with your PSP. The device he's connecting needs to be a "master" device in order for the PSP to read data from it, since it only supports slave mode.

Obviously the PSP has some sort of support for USB devices and if the person who made the original post was coding in a lower level language than Lua, I might think there was something to this. But, no offense, it's going to take a little more hacking than can be done with rudimentary Lua coding skills to get a USB device to work with the PSP.

On the other hand, it's nice to know that people are trying to explore the secrets of the USB port.
EXACTLY dude all he has done is knocked up a cable simple !! what we need is a proof of concept like a homebrew application perhaps in the form of a HID device driver for the P$P.

Uruz 6
August 28th, 2006, 14:03
It's good to know he's trying and even if he doesn't come up with a keyboard for the PSP there's no need to rock the boat you know?

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 14:35
If IRSHELL can view filesystems on your computer,I'm sure it's possible.Somebody just needs to write the code,maybe based on Ahmans work.

bm4n
August 28th, 2006, 16:10
I thought this would never be possible because the PSP is not a host thing its a client or w/e (input, like a mass storage device) and I thought I read somewhere that this type of USB device could not talk to other's of this type...Maybe I'm on crack, somebody please tell me I'm wrong, for the sake of a keyboard! :)

psp411
August 28th, 2006, 16:28
good work. ill be looking forward to using a keyboard for my psp now(homebrew style:D)

NoQuarter
August 28th, 2006, 16:37
you guys are aware that somebody has already succeded in getting a keboard to work on the psp?
It was posted here a couple of weeks ago.I believe they used a $7 mini keyboard,don't remember any details though.

warped
August 28th, 2006, 16:37
i heard there is a keyboard comming next year :)

http://www.fitc.ca/contest/type_this.cfm

crait
August 28th, 2006, 18:04
omg.... i didnt even know that you posted this up
right now i do not have a usb keyboard, so i have to go buy one to see if my theory is right
also, im going to see if i can get IRshell, or w.e, to read off of a flash drive maybe for expantional memory
and the lua thing was just one possibility, i could make a prx or something, or a special driver, so calm down.
and as, someone earlier stated, if this doesnt work, then it doesnt, and if it does, it does

--------
motz, can you change my name in your post?
i dont have caps in it, not to be rude or anything
--------

Briggzy11
August 28th, 2006, 18:56
Well if there was a Wireless keyboard lol iRshell could probabily read it and you could use it through that, but only of course if ahman codes it to make it possible...

the one and only
August 28th, 2006, 21:31
wow this is the idea i had, great to see it comng to life good work

eazy-e
August 28th, 2006, 23:54
damn great crait

Raekwik11
August 29th, 2006, 03:25
Hope you get it functioning.

crait
August 29th, 2006, 03:46
i heard someone eearler state that they are both usb clients or something, and they cannot talk
well, heres soemthing to think about,
so is the psp gps thing

PlagueMusic
August 29th, 2006, 03:48
dont know much but, couldn't we just make a simple prx to use this on devhook / custom firmware / iR Shell (for homebrew)

gamesquest1
August 29th, 2006, 05:20
i heard someone eearler state that they are both usb clients or something, and they cannot talk
well, heres soemthing to think about,
so is the psp gps thing
yeah and the eyetoy thing so there is some form of input going into the usb port i hope this works out and i hope usb controllers get added i would love using a ps2 contrller adapter with it with all button functions working that would be amazing for n64 games and a ps1 emulator.....which would put a hell of a big 1 over the official ps1 emulator....:rolleyes: oh well suppose i can dream lol

r2works
August 29th, 2006, 05:41
i thought this was more likely happen by adding a keyboard through the headphone jack like the homebrew GPS system does, although it would require another adapter..

either way, its only a matter of time.

crait
August 29th, 2006, 05:58
dont know much but, couldn't we just make a simple prx to use this on devhook / custom firmware / iR Shell (for homebrew)
thats what im planning on doing, maybe flashing it to my flash0:/
getting stuff like links2 to work for it
because isnt links2 just a port from a comp version, and if it is,it wouldnt care where the keystroke input came from, right?

MOTZ!

i dont have caps in my name, can you please edit your post

grrrr ocd

The_Ultimate_Eggman
August 29th, 2006, 10:27
[QUOTE=crait]thats what im planning on doing, maybe flashing it to my flash0:/
getting stuff like links2 to work for it
because isnt links2 just a port from a comp version, and if it is,it wouldnt care where the keystroke input came from, right?

your still gonna have to code/write some kind of HID driver so the psp knows what the hell is attached to the cable.found a good site that tells u the basics of coding a HID driver if u wanna pm me i will link u up crait some good stuff on there may point u in the right or give u some ideas u never thought of :).

crait
August 29th, 2006, 19:18
that would be awesome