PDA

View Full Version : Sony to region lock future games via 3.50 SDK?

wraggster
October 22nd, 2010, 00:15
News via ps3hax

Apparently Sony may region lock NEW PS3 game releases via the new 3.50 SDK. PS3Gen reports on the story:

While Sony had surprised everyone by not only zoned games on PS3, unlike the PS2 or the PS1, it seems that this idea can be challenged in the near future.

Since the advent of the SDK 3.50, it is possible for official developers restrict their PlayStation 3 games at a specific region.

For information, be aware that verification of the region of the disc was in fact quietly implemented since the 3.30 firmware but was not yet usable by the studios.

Here are screenshots from a PlayStation 3 when trying to launch a drive to a “bad area”… following an audit of this same disc into console development.

If any games yet so far does this “feature”, however it is likely that it will be in the coming months.

vitorgatti
October 22nd, 2010, 01:14
Here are screenshots from a PlayStation 3 when trying to launch a drive to a “bad area”… following an audit of this same disc into console development.

So... where are the screenshots? P:

lmtlmt
October 22nd, 2010, 07:40
thats fuucked, why should i be forced to pay double price for games in my own country when i can by from overseas and not be majorly ripped off!!