PDA

View Full Version : Boomerang controller -- bust or discarded treasure?

wraggster
August 28th, 2006, 21:09
The good and knowledgeable SuicideNinja upped a very clever post and has given us the opportunity to write about it. Basically, the boomerang concept controller may have been a smarter angle to go for the PS3 than everyone gave it credit for. At the time of its unveiling, we weren't aware of the motion-sensor going into it and thought the rumble feature would still be intact. Things change with time. Now, waving the boomerang controller around would definitely make a more comfortable tilt-motion feature than the Dual Shock 2 design. As SuicideNinja says, for steering cars in the appropriate games, it would be a pretty good fit.

Sadly, this revelation can't save the dropped design now. Or can it? Petitioning for it to be released as a separate accessory may be within the realm of possibility. Aside from racing or driving games, would the boomerang design be worthwhile? The "steering wheel" likeness doesn't really make a big splash against any other type of game. It's most appropriate for racing games and quite possibly flight sims. Still, that was a fantastic epiphany on SuicideNinja's part and now, what do you all think? Did we bury the boomerang prematurely or did we save ourselves from a junky controller?

donne
August 29th, 2006, 01:54
I liked the boomerang-shaped joypad (I have this strange taste on strange things).. Especially if it able to return after thrown.. (happened always when the game AI beat me).

But now I think about it, the shape would be very ideal for racing games, than-- let's say, moving your remote control-like joypad. Or perhaps it would be great on shooting games (hold it like a gun so you don't have to buy a gun-con or something). And it's easier to carry around. Just slip it into your belt waist.

Hey.. I want it !

tallica
August 29th, 2006, 02:22
i was somewhat disapointed when i heard sony dropd the idea, i really like the look of it. Just imagine if you were playn ps3 and someone was annoying you, you could throw the controler at them and get it back without leaving your seat :D

kcajblue
August 29th, 2006, 02:27
Especially if it able to return after thrown.. (happened always when the game AI beat me).
it would suck when you get mad for losing so you throw it and it comes back at your face and you get hit.:p

tallica
August 29th, 2006, 02:32
lol gota b careful now they're wireless.

muffinman
August 29th, 2006, 09:22
yeah it does make sense for driving games etc. maybe we could see as a seperate release. you never know

jerrt
August 29th, 2006, 15:00
I think sony could have at least did a small release at launch to get real user reactions to the controller. you never know, third party might pick up on the idea. only time will tell, but i would really like to give it a shot. any attempt at improvement is still better than not trying at all.

stotheamuel
August 29th, 2006, 22:39
hmm so if that was what it was intending for...then the tilt sensing idea was already thought of.. before nintendo announced the wii-mote....

interesting :)

donne
August 30th, 2006, 08:49
The idea of motion sensor control is not a new invention anyway.. I checked my old copies of EGM and Gamepro, there were ads about a glove-like controller (you wear it and move your knuckle) and a base-ball bat.. I'm not sure how it work.. It's just an add.. But the idea was there. Even Eye-toy was Sony motion sensor device.. Wii makes it wild, though..

muffinman
August 30th, 2006, 10:33
we've all just got to go back to the power glove :)

dejkirkby
August 30th, 2006, 10:50
I seem to remember that the gba had motion detection. Wasn't there a Mario flying game out for it which reacted to tilting?

Accordion
August 30th, 2006, 11:27
i think so, and kirby…

eyetoy can evolve better than any motion sensing remote. just by wearing a coloured armband the eyetoy camera could map your position in 3d space…

paulyfknt90
September 1st, 2006, 05:43
i for one loved the boomerang controller, with or without motion scensing it looked like a rly comforatable controller and it was rly inovative

im all for the boomerang, id fork over money to have that than the duel shock anyday, plus this would have made warhawk sooo much cooler

srry for spelling errors not in the greatest state right now