PDA

View Full Version : The PSP is far From a Failure

wraggster
August 29th, 2006, 16:45
When looking around at the Gaming press you see storys of Doom and Gloom about the PSP maybe the UMD movies have flopped a bit and Games sales arent as high as they want, but what you have to remember is that the PSP is Sonys first venture into a market that Nintendo have dominated since the first Gameboy release.

To enter a market even with a more powerful machine and going against the recognised handheld brand name worldwide was never going to be easy.

The amazing success of the DS with games that have brought new gamers to our video game world would make any other system struggle, in Japan that has been the case but in the USA and Europe the PSP has easily held its own against the DS.

New colours of the PSP like the Pink version being released will appeal to the female & Gay population and as long as Sony start releasing quality games the PSP will always be a success.

One area where Sony must get to grips with to survive is the hacking of their firmware and the ISO loaders that come off it. With the release of the Tiff Exploit yesterday they really must secure their system and yes they will lockout homebrewers but as great as the homebrew scene is, we are also responsible for companies becoming disillusioned with the PSP, its not nice seeing your game that cost millions to produce warezed all over the internet. If Sony are to take action they need to sort out the firmware, Stop the ISO LOaders and distribution with Cease and Desist Notification and also stop all the warez PSP sites who offer games and movies for downloads.

Agree or Disagree lets have your comments

Gizmo356
August 29th, 2006, 16:57
Yeah I Agree With You Iso Loaders And Warez Just Destroys The Home Brew Scene

AtariFreek
August 29th, 2006, 16:58
I Agree As Well. That's All I'm Going To Say.

JesusXP
August 29th, 2006, 17:01
I agree, hardly can be considered a failure having shipped as many units as they have. I use my PSP primarily for MP3's though.. which is pretty lame considering I bought it for Homebrewing :P (blame my hectic schedule). But anyways.. I would prefer to use my PSP as more or less a pocket PC.. It'd be nice to see a Keyboard attachment, sorta like the UMPC concept, where you could fold it up book style. It'd be nice to email, surf, txt, etc.. dreams

rock_light
August 29th, 2006, 17:03
PSP should be easier to pirate. You guys are silly.
And ye shall all be gifted a pink psp for xmas.
I know that you all think silly things.
Thank you for irshell, (isos) gba gpsp, (sweet im playing final fantasy iv advance and megaman zero on psp!)
Its truely thanks to such a beautiful scene that we can enjoy faster and more secure anti-homebrew updates from sony!
Long live PSP whichever side of the scene dominates. Good or bad.
Btw: Emulation is what hurts consoles. Not isos.

gr42178
August 29th, 2006, 17:30
PSP should be easier to pirate. You guys are silly.
And ye shall all be gifted a pink psp for xmas.
I know that you all think silly things.
Thank you for irshell, (isos) gba gpsp, (sweet im playing final fantasy iv advance and megaman zero on psp!)
Its truely thanks to such a beautiful scene that we can enjoy faster and more secure anti-homebrew updates from sony!
Long live PSP whichever side of the scene dominates. Good or bad.
Btw: Emulation is what hurts consoles. Not isos.
How does emulation hurt consoles? The games being emulated are no longer in circulation, so no developer is making money off of them. I$o's are what cost the developers money, not emulating 10 year old dead systems...

daCuk
August 29th, 2006, 17:32
The only reason PSP (and PS2) have sold that well all over the world is because they are easy to pirate.
So don't start playing the good guys denying a fact that is clear to everybody.

JesusXP
August 29th, 2006, 17:33
You'd be surprised at how stupid the general population is my friend.. Why do you think certain games sell well?

Not everyone knows how to pirate, and PSP is among the hardest for non technically inclined people. Good luck explaining tiff exploits, downgrading procedures, devhook and iso loading to your average joe.

Also, I can agree Emulation hurts consoles.. Stops the sales of new games if ppl just play free rips of old roms. Why buy midway classics when you have them available for free!? etc. (You know... playing devils advocate.. but it still can have an effect)

felonyr301
August 29th, 2006, 17:37
thats true ps2's sell well because of the name and parents just want to make their kid happy and bam they buy them like on every 2 years because it keeps breaking over time genius just genius sony its a time bomb and a sure way to have those numbers up there lol...

felonyr301
August 29th, 2006, 17:39
i bought 3 ps2's in its lifetime and i didnt buy the launch ones either its sad to think about it...

radiator
August 29th, 2006, 17:41
PSP isn't a failure, they've done a damn good job for a 1st time handheld (and I'm a Nintendo fanboy!).

The 2 things that, imo, let the console down are the UMD and Memory Stick media - but then, this is Sony, and pushing proprietary formats is what they do (Betamax/Minidisc anyone?)!

oh, and;

New colours of the PSP like the Pink version being released will appeal to the female & Gay population
That's a bit stereotypical don't you think?!

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 17:46
lol that's what i thought then I laughed.

rock_light
August 29th, 2006, 17:47
"I$o's are what cost the developers money, not emulating 10 year old dead systems..."

Well a lot of those companies have other ideas for those titles. Okay there's a whack load of reasons.

Omg half those games are being ported despite how old they are. (some more than others)
But anyone with half an eye can see what a threat PSP could be to nintendo. Only thing is PSP is harder to use. I was edging more specifically towards GBA which is hardly old at all. I WAS going to go buy a new GBA-SP_Brite when the new FFs came out but seing how they run on the psp so damn well you can bet your ass I dont need one now.
So in other words.

Shows what you know, some of the ONLY games I was willing to pay money for are now freely available for me to play on my PSP free of charge.

I actually own the games I play to be honest. =p
Some people brag about it like it makes them a better person. But im just a box collector. =/
- I need the box to enjoy the game -
But I now have no GBA to play them on. Hehe.
I traded my last one for my current PSP.
Its so cool to mess with ppl when you have the real cart anyways. They are always like... Wtf. Where did you put the cartrage. LOL.

Im having a hard time enjoying Megaman Wily Wars, Terranimga, Seiken Dentesu3, etc. Without boxes. And Im not about to import for gibberish boxes.

PSP has about 6 original Games worth paying for.

Wipeout Pure- 333mhz
Street Fighter Alpha3Max
TekkenDarkRes
Megaman Powered UP-333mhz
Megaman Irregular Hunter X
Monster Hunter Freedom-msproduo(faster loading)

I hope the rest are pirated. Cuz otherwise your gettin ripped off. J/k. (lol sorry im sO opinionated)
(btw: dax does run an amazing game engine)

gr42178
August 29th, 2006, 17:54
I was talking about the older systems like nintendo, sega master system, N64 , you know systems that the developers arent making money off of anymore.... but I see where your coming from with the GBA, point taken, that one is too new.....Anything that isnt being sold anymore should be public domain IMO

rock_light
August 29th, 2006, 18:02
No doubt! Or actually re-sold with nice boxes like the nes collection for gba. Id probobly buy em all if i could.
=p

alleyal202
August 29th, 2006, 18:05
ive been playing video games since the atari 2600,and ive owned every system since and i believe the psp is one of the best systems that ive played on when it comes to be able to play all of the games that i grew up playing.the coders of all of these emulators to me are gods!!!to me the psp is far from dead.we got alot of games and stuff coming out for it.it started out slow but is beginning to pick up steam.the ds is a kids system thats why its so successful to me.and the psp is are young and old adults.

jak66
August 29th, 2006, 18:05
"I$o's are what cost the developers money, not emulating 10 year old dead systems..."

Well a lot of those companies have other ideas for those titles. Okay there's a whack load of reasons.

Omg half those games are being ported despite how old they are. (some more than others)
But anyone with half an eye can see what a threat PSP could be to nintendo. Only thing is PSP is harder to use. I was edging more specifically towards GBA which is hardly old at all. I WAS going to go buy a new GBA-SP_Brite when the new FFs came out but seing how they run on the psp so damn well you can bet your ass I dont need one now.
So in other words.

Shows what you know, some of the ONLY games I was willing to pay money for are now freely available for me to play on my PSP free of charge.

I actually own the games I play to be honest. =p
Some people brag about it like it makes them a better person. But im just a box collector. =/
- I need the box to enjoy the game -
But I now have no GBA to play them on. Hehe.
I traded my last one for my current PSP.
Its so cool to mess with ppl when you have the real cart anyways. They are always like... Wtf. Where did you put the cartrage. LOL.

PSP has about 6 original Games worth paying for.

Wipeout Pure
Street Fighter Alpha3Max
TekkenDarkRes
Megaman Powered UP
Megaman Irregular Hunter X
Monster Hunter Freedom

I hope the rest are pirated. Cuz otherwise your gettin ripped off. (lol sorry im sO opinionated)

true with the top part, gba games are still being made anyway, so emulating can hurt consoles, just not this one, its the other side its hurting and as many people i know are bias against nintendo home consoles (there was nothing wrong with the gamecube controller, and the wii is original, unlike ps3) ninteno can be getting hurt badly by emulation

and 2 more games for your list
untold legends
daxter

aYu][Takeshi
August 29th, 2006, 18:07
It's nothing other else as with the PS2, PSone or other.
On the PS2 you also can downloaded games...
I use ISO Loaders because it is verry fast. The MemoryStick has ~9 MB/s Upluad, the UMD only ~1MB/s.
Shure, ISO loaders can be used illegal, but it was the last 10 years like this...

alleyal202
August 29th, 2006, 18:08
also i dont play isos id rather buy my games so i agree with the iso hurting the scene

aYu][Takeshi
August 29th, 2006, 18:09
I also buy my games, but I make ISOs of this games and play this from MS.

doverkiller
August 29th, 2006, 18:26
female & Gay population :D
what a target :)

you know, i was wondering, why coudn't those guys wait with the new exploit, until 2.9 or 3.0 comes out with the camera, gps and ps3 support..
now we will get 2.81 or something and that will be the end of it..

but I found the answer, these guys want challenge..
they don't hack the PSP to make it more 'warez',
they hack it because they can! :)

Sony (just like anyone else) will never ever be able to stop piracy or wazez..
they should find out how to get people buy the original, instead of 'free' warez..

Nafogel
August 29th, 2006, 18:32
whatever happened to iso talk resulting in a ban? anyways. The only thing I use my psp for is homebrew. I don't own a single psp game, but I do own a couple of UMD movies.(I am thinking about trading them in though). I enjoy playing the old retro games, I have a 1 gig memstick full of roms, from nes to n64 to sega genesis to many others. Thats all I really use my psp for, and I am quite content. I get all sorts of attention when I whip out my psp and start playing "Mario 64" or "Sonic the hedgehog". People are like "woah, can I play?" If it werent for emulation, i would have ditched my psp a long time ago. just look at my sig...

charltonheston
August 29th, 2006, 18:37
To be honest copying games (either roms or isos) is breaching copyright and Trademark legislation whatever the age of the console or whether or not the games are still in circulation on the market.

I understand why people can hypothesize that they are not hurting any commercial organisation by using old spectrum roms for emulation but the facts are that doing this is just as serious an offence as using isos of PSP games. Admittedly the latter is more likely to be acted upon.

So what's gonna happen when Nintendos new console is released and a heap of old games are available to download for a fee? Are sites who host copies of snes roms and genesis roms going to be shut down because these old roms are again being commercially marketed? Who knows.... to be safe you'd just better get your collection together before then ;)

I don't mind people having their own opinions, to be honest if everyone agreed with me all the time I'd hate it, but if you're going to be passionate about something then don't do it half heartedly. Either have principles and stand by them and feel pious or don't have principles and let the world go to hell but don't whinge about it when you're down there.

Well anyway that's my opinion. I'll get back to playing Mario 64 on my PSP now (come on now -how cool is that) :)

trezzer
August 29th, 2006, 18:46
I think the PSP is a massive failure, when you think of all the R&D that went into it and how abysmal the result really was. Yes, the screen is great and it's fairly powerful, but most games are irrelevant on the go, since they take too long to load, the games are hard to take with you because of the way UMDs are constructed, the battery drains in the blink of an eye with wifi enabled and when you want to add media to it the structure is absolutely idiotic (even though they're trying to improve it).

As a console you can bring with you it works fairly well, though. That is as something you'd bring instead of a PS2. For commuting it's almost useless though. So yes, I see it as a failure even though I have had quite a few hours of enjoyment from mine.

Pico
August 29th, 2006, 18:46
New colours of the PSP like the Pink version being released will appeal to the female & Gay population and as long as Sony start releasing quality games the PSP will always be a success..
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, And at legal homebrew look at LuaMines or some other warez like that as well becuase they do the most damage.

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2006, 18:48
New colours of the PSP like the Pink version being released will appeal to the female & Gay population

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

psychadelicious
August 29th, 2006, 18:51
Right on man.

Percival
August 29th, 2006, 18:56

Exactly what I thought.

So if I have a pink PSP and I'm not a girl, then I'm gay?

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 19:01
Wraggster was simpy stating that it's target audience is females and homos

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2006, 19:09
f*ck this shit i'm not spending £30 on a game in dont give a shit i bought about 10 games and downloaded about 35 witch i dont own on f*cking umd i dont care if no games come out anymore ill just buy a nintendo ds and spend my money on that shit man i spend too much money on games i bought in total about 300 games including xbox 1 games xbox360 games psp games ps1 games and ps2 games oh yeah i modded my xbox 1 and planning to mod my 360 i think the challenge is to be able to play copied games all the rest is extra when people ask me what is soo good about 1.50 i say well it lets you copy game.

Son, you're gonna get it. That's right I called you son.

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2006, 19:11

Hahahaha, he's so politically correct.

nielsss
August 29th, 2006, 19:16
Son, you're gonna get it. That's right I called you son.

huh; lmfao:p

fistikuffs
August 29th, 2006, 19:23
Guys if you take a look around you'll see many men wearing pink clothes!! I'm not sure gay or girls will be too interested in it coz it's pink. Maybe teenage girls but that's it. Very funny comment tho!!

As for the psp being a failure...No Way!! But it's the emu's that really elevate it above the rest. it does have a few "must have" titles in my opinion but the extended use i get from emus makes me really happy that i own one.

beardude
August 29th, 2006, 19:23

So when does Wraggster talk about the black version being made for african-americans? Hey! He can even use the N-word, coz you know that's so funny.

Uruz 6
August 29th, 2006, 19:30
But I wonder.. why the psp didn't sell well in japan?
I've studied nintendo's case and I don't get it, how come they have such a huge grip on the japanese market? sony and microsoft are there as well and we all see, from time to time, those market sales updates on this site (where they get totally trashed by the DS).

By the way, GBA emulation might actually be one of sony's strategies to make nintendo lose power;
that's right lately their firmware were kinda lame to hack, don't you think? (2.71 got emulated rater quickly, and now the 2.80) of course the psp isos are still a bother to 'em.

jhontikis
August 29th, 2006, 19:43
I dont, as well, think Iso's are problem.
How can you explain DS's succees against that there is a way you can run Iso's of games on it as well using memory card converter?
The simple cause could only be the imaginative games DS has, and the reason that Nintendo's are long time in bussiness.

jwilds73
August 29th, 2006, 19:45
You'd be surprised at how stupid the general population is my friend.. Why do you think certain games sell well?

So that's why Blockbuster and Hollywood Video has a million copies of every sport title but only one copy of Final Fantasy or any of the other decent non sports games. Same goes for movies they got a whole shelf of Stephen Seagal direct to video crap or every Black comedy and just a few copies of decent movies.

mavsman4457
August 29th, 2006, 20:15
By the way, GBA emulation might actually be one of sony's strategies to make nintendo lose power;
that's right lately their firmware were kinda lame to hack, don't you think? (2.71 got emulated rater quickly, and now the 2.80) of course the psp isos are still a bother to 'em.

That's actually a pretty good idea but I think if they wanted to do it then it would have been fullspeed for a long time now. If they really want to give a blow to Nintendo they will send spies to aid in the development of a touchscreen overlay with these guys, http://psp.nixlabs.net/ and they would make a DS emulator for PSP. Then with a few more "slip-ups" of putting homebrew links on their connect site Nintendo would be out of business. :)

roaddogg2k2
August 29th, 2006, 20:28
With this note, will there ever be a way to completely lock out homebrew on a psp?
I doubt it with fantastic coders like fanjita and ookm, but, is the possibility there i ask?

daCuk
August 29th, 2006, 20:37
That's actually a pretty good idea but I think if they wanted to do it then it would have been fullspeed for a long time now. If they really want to give a blow to Nintendo they will send spies to aid in the development of a touchscreen overlay with these guys, http://psp.nixlabs.net/ and they would make a DS emulator for PSP. Then with a few more "slip-ups" of putting homebrew links on their connect site Nintendo would be out of business. :)

It will take more than a glorified media player with games only for 18-34 male gamers to dethrone the handheld king.

In the same way Sony was smart enough to give developers the best conditions for game developers to profit (beginning with PS1), Nintendo was smart enough to know that portable games have to be adapted to quick, fun sessions, not long, battery exhausting sessions of the-same-game-I-am-playing-at-my-TV-console.

BTW, I don't think Sony is doomed with PS3...they just need to decrease the price of it.

shadowprophet
August 29th, 2006, 20:41
The psp a failure?. I've thought about this a lot lately. and I don't believe it is. Before the psp, What handheld device where we using to play our snes, sega genesis, nes. master system, Gba, tg-16 games on. For that matter, What handheld device( in the provided price range of the psp) which people claim to be too expensive, where we using to steam our movies and videos Via wifi?
And now even our homebrew can be steamed to us.

I can see people now,. But were not talking about how much we like the psp. were talking about what a market failure it is.. But the fact is it isn't.

So its not on top of the market at the moment, Both you know and I know, A true failure would be removed from the market and forgotten about. Face it, What company with a brain can afford to keep a true failure afloat??. The market sales of the psp are too strong for anyone but a Ds fan boy, to say its a failure.

if you ask me I think the initial release of the ds lite was a huge upset to the psp's throne. But in time. Once development continues and people start seeing that the Ds just cant keep up with the power of the psp. Well time and price drops can only favor the psp.

THe psp may not be on top of the market. But Need i remind people. That its the second hottest selling gaming device at the moment, outselling the ps2 and the x-box 360. How can that be a failure?

People have to reaize for the first time in a very long time. We are in a handheld wars so to speak.
Just like with console wars. times will come when you question the value of your purchase. and even doubt it's necessity. But those times come and go and even change. Remember the snes genesis wars?? for a long time people had no clue which system was the best. because there was so much hype built up behind both systems.?
But in the end. the winner and the loser weren't important. What was important was that everyone involved was a winner in the long run because both systems became timeless classics.

I think that the handheld wars are just now entering that golden age. And when its all said and done there will be no losers. only satisfied gamers with a lot to choose from.

Oh well. Anyhow. Im outtie.

MUDD
August 29th, 2006, 20:55
i have a cousin who has not bought
one game or movie

all he does with it is listen to tesla
and emu every system he can and
hes in hog heaven with all these old
arcade games ,

emulation is no better than game
piracy, i dare this site to drop all the
emulation stuff and focus on what
homebrew is,maybe that would help
its cause .

i never use homebrew but i think its nice
and i can see some who would use it
but the only stuff i use are loaders
and rippers,and compressors ,and
(drum roll) emulators with ilegal roms
and isos .dcemu.co.uk needs to draw
a line and pick a side.this sites like why
does sony hate homebrew, please
emualtion is not homebrew.your just
scared of what would happen if you
droped emulation .

Hawky05
August 29th, 2006, 21:22
So when does Wraggster talk about the black version being made for african-americans? Hey! He can even use the N-word, coz you know that's so funny.

Dude WTF is your problem :eek:

Get a grip...

ON TOPIC:

If homebrew wasn't around I still don't think the PSP would be a falure.

But that said... Homebrew does boost sales of the PSP and makes it that much better.

Ok so the piracy side of it doesn't help things... but it challenges Sony to do something about it.

I may self don't agree nor disagree with Piracy.. but I choose to take advantage of it as for me it means saving alot of money.

Thats just my two cents. :D

Sommerlost
August 29th, 2006, 21:22
This isn't news, why does every one here feel they need to write some sort of essay about three or four times a week about the scene?

jinqui242
August 29th, 2006, 21:24
PSP isn't a failure, they've done a damn good job for a 1st time handheld (and I'm a Nintendo fanboy!).

The 2 things that, imo, let the console down are the UMD and Memory Stick media - but then, this is Sony, and pushing proprietary formats is what they do (Betamax/Minidisc anyone?)!

oh, and;

I agree, I don't enjoy seeing comments like that in front page articles. Almost like, "Oh, that rap game will appeal to black people" (if a comment like that was put up, people would be up in arms). It's disrespectful.

John Vattic
August 29th, 2006, 21:59
Shut up bout proprietary formats. I still have a good betamax and tons of movies.

but i did always buy the scotch brand beta casettes ;)

muffinman
August 29th, 2006, 22:02
hey wraggster was just stating why sony has put it forward. Remember there was a big discussion about the gameing industry failing women and how sonys response was a pink psp....

anyways i loved the rant shadowprophet very well written.

Hawky05
August 29th, 2006, 22:24
This isn't news, why does every one here feel they need to write some sort of essay about three or four times a week about the scene?

Why do people like you feel the need to comment on that matter?

luis_05
August 29th, 2006, 22:25
The psp a failure?. I've thought about this a lot lately. and I don't believe it is. Before the psp, What handheld device where we using to play our snes, sega genesis, nes. master system, Gba, tg-16 games on. For that matter, What handheld device( in the provided price range of the psp) which people claim to be too expensive, where we using to steam our movies and videos Via wifi?
And now even our homebrew can be steamed to us.

I can see people now,. But were not talking about how much we like the psp. were talking about what a market failure it is.. But the fact is it isn't.

men, shadowprohpet said it best!! that dude rocks!!

yeah i agree, but whats wrong with backing up ur umd's? i dotn distribnute them. and i agree that if i did i would be hurting the homebrew scene. LAst, the PSP is far from dead, i dont even have to show ppl all the hombrew, they are just amazed with the built in capabilties of the PSP itself, SONY has just done a bad job of explaining all of its feature to the right ppl

carrotman97
August 29th, 2006, 22:55
don't like it? ignore it than:mad:

and back to the topic
in my eyes the psp is one off/the best console (not just handheld) i have owned:
powerfull
great games
wifi internet/multiplayer
homebrew
:cough:devhook:cough:
video
mp3
images
gps.....

slayer2psp
August 29th, 2006, 23:35
id say 99.9 % of the people have no clue how to use iso loaders or were to get games. people tell me they want the box is why they dont do it. but thank god for those people with out dumb people none of us would have games to play becuse they wouldnt make any money. im far to poor to be able to buy the games id like to play so i like iso loaders. i wouldnt buy the game in the first place and if i do buy any games i get them used. and in my mind thats no different then using a iso loader the company that makes the game isnt making anymore money on the sell just the store is. if you dont make money from isos and you wouldnt buy the game anyways what does it hurt

Hawky05
August 29th, 2006, 23:59
in my eyes the psp is one off/the best console (not just handheld) i have owned:
powerfull
great games
wifi internet/multiplayer
homebrew
:cough:devhook:cough:
video
mp3
images
gps.....

Here Here!! :D

I agree with everything you said.

alucard001
August 30th, 2006, 00:11
hey guys im a pretty experienced psp user but i know nothing of the Ipod, i plan on buying a 30GB Ipod video but, do you need to buy itunes and pay a dollar ($1) for each song? I asked the clerk at bestbuy and he is like telling me I nedd Itunes, what I want to know also is if you can put your own songs from your computer to the ipod

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:13
erm.. bit irrelevent to this topic but.. You don't have to pay for iTunes.. I think it comes on a disc when you purchase your iPod.. and no you don't have to pay.. you can just put songs on straight from your pc or a cd.

alucard001
August 30th, 2006, 00:15
wicked man thanx

alucard001
August 30th, 2006, 00:15
lol a little off topic sorry lol

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:17
No probs.. try not to double post please >_< lol.

i'm just saying this before anyone else does.

alucard001
August 30th, 2006, 00:19
ya man sorry... doh i posted again... gotto go lol

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:22
it's ok to post like that.. just not one post after another

The edit button is there for a reason. lol. :D

alucard001
August 30th, 2006, 00:24
woah you can edit... didnt know that:D

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:28
lol.. well now you do..

now we have that settled back to the topic.

The PSP owns all :D

crackkills
August 30th, 2006, 01:41
I think that homebrew rules, althought sony didn't come out with good games originally they are getting much better and I like the movies. ISOS are bad MMMKAY

eLAy12
August 30th, 2006, 04:18
I like playing games from the memory stick. I find it to run a lot faster then from the UMD. What i don't understand is why Sony doesn't make the games in a MS format instead of the UMD. The reason i play from iso's (that i own) is because the PSP is bulky enough, i don't want to lug around more UMD's and fill my pocket. The DS games are small, why can't sony do it too? if the reason is because it would lower the graphics or whatever, i'm willing to sacrifice that. Games on the DS lite look and play great. Take the hint Sony.

the one and only
August 30th, 2006, 04:55
i can happily admit i use iso's, sony make 1 good game out of 10, even that isnt worth playing. i think i get roughly 4-5 hrs with each game then i get completely bored with it. im happy i dont buy these un-imaginitve games. also i am about to downgrade 4-5 ppls psp's so they can use iso's 2.

i would of sold my psp a long time ago if it wasnt for homebrew (i was stuck on 2.6) and iso's (which i have used since the downgrader 1st came available.

just my 2cents

Kramer
August 30th, 2006, 04:59
i can happily admit i use iso's, sony make 1 good game out of 10, even that isnt worth playing. i think i get roughly 4-5 hrs with each game then i get completely bored with it. im happy i dont buy these un-imaginitve games. also i am about to downgrade 4-5 ppls psp's so they can use iso's 2.

i would of sold my psp a long time ago if it wasnt for homebrew (i was stuck on 2.6) and iso's (which i have used since the downgrader 1st came available.

just my 2cents

ooo he is an evil pirate lol.

psp411
August 30th, 2006, 06:54

nice point 4 i am black:eek: *coughs being sarcastic* (watch it).... yes... from the blood thruout... not faking it....:D :cool:

well back on topic
if you ask me, psp has a good chance in the handheld industry. Even though i am a nintendo fanboy( i hate sony n microsoft gaming products... lol yet i have a psp... it says something) i still picked up a psp. Im the type of guy who likes a good game to play and to work hard at during my spare time:cool: . since sony ahsnt really released any that i want its merely being used for homebrew stuff, gba and snes games( and yes, the gba adn snes games i use on it i do own- megaman battle network 4 red sun adn pokemon fire red... other snes titles... yea) Even though gba is well known to the world, psp packs a bigger punch if u ask me. yes you can go adn buy the "few" gba/ds video cartrages" (only pokemon and beyblade episodes tht ive seen), purchase the 128 mb mp3 playback cartrige and use it on ur gba/ds or u can pick up a psp with a 512 mem stick and use all those functions and more;) . this is the main reason why i bought this thing. also, psp requires more of a tech savvy mind to really use it to its full potential( thats y we have devs:D) while gba/ds doesnt need much logic to be operated. this is why psp is more or less down in the markets under ds becayse maybe ppl like the basic "play now" things and not the do "everything like @ home... but slower" theme:confused: . Psp could be better if you ask me( like making a startup setting for the people who want to use it quickly like custom fw instead of scroling to play games and waiting forever to play it) but so far... i find it good.:)

sony should improve on umd data speed.... soooooooooooo slow. i have the iso of each of MY games that i own because I have a habit of making backups on my computer:p ( lol many of these umd's r broke too... gotta get out the krazy glue:D)

psp411
August 30th, 2006, 07:17
I like playing games from the memory stick. I find it to run a lot faster then from the UMD. What i don't understand is why Sony doesn't make the games in a MS format instead of the UMD. The reason i play from iso's (that i own) is because the PSP is bulky enough, i don't want to lug around more UMD's and fill my pocket. The DS games are small, why can't sony do it too? if the reason is because it would lower the graphics or whatever, i'm willing to sacrifice that. Games on the DS lite look and play great. Take the hint Sony.

its not like they cant afford the 2 gig mem stick n sell us games on that:)... they wouldnt even lose much money... i think a umd is more expensive to make( im most likely wrong... correct me if i am:p )

donne
August 30th, 2006, 07:32
The iso-collector guys is in da house :D Oh wish I believe those guy really ripped their own UMD.. But.. No, I don't.. Sorry.

Admittely there's only few intresting games for PSP but I can't say all DS games appealing to me either..

But let's say some 'intresting' games such as finder love.. Hell, just a couple of week of its release, I can find a site selling its Iso.. How can you expect game company came up with great games while theirs are quickly ripped ? Piracy kills creativity. Given time and condition (=someone did not come up with ISO loader) there will be great games.

Btw, I agree.. The UMD speed is sucks.. And they should've not use the wide-screen.. It makes PSP bulkier..

The_Lead_Factor
August 30th, 2006, 09:06
LOL :D

mnuhaily22
August 30th, 2006, 13:08
I agree with you but I don't think that the main reason Sony is losing business is because of piracy, although it is an issue. I think the main reason is because of the games they have out.

Dave_Pennington
August 30th, 2006, 13:22
I think the price of games is also killing the PSP, I've worked in the retail world of gaming for over 10 years and its always been the sale and trade of second hand games that have helped to push a console, however I've noticed that game shops are offering their Pre-owned PSP games at near NEW selling prices and yet are giving next to nothing in trade!. A recent example of this was when I pointed out to my local Game Station Store that they were selling Battle Front II for £27.99 2nd hand and £19.99 new?? they then changed the price to £17.99!, WOW thats a whole saving of 2 pounds sterling.

Not every one can afford or like my self is willing to pay the price of £34.99 for a new title and would wait till these titles appear as Pre-owned, whilst this has worked for previous consoles from the Megadrive even up to the XBOX 360 I dont see the trend porting over to the PSP even after a year of sales?, this is why I have not been purchasing games and am stuck with a expensive MP3 player!.

jim80b
August 30th, 2006, 13:23
i own both a PSP and a DS (old fat one),
both are 'homebrew enabled'

now...
looking purely at the homebrew aspect (inc emus) the psp leaves the ds dead. its faster, graphics look better, and there is a far bigger choice of applications.

Looking at games, here we see a huge difference. how big is an average DS game? well its around 30meg
a psp game- lets guess at 600meg
thats 200% more code. therefore more development time (ok some will be FMV's but still = dev time)
on this basis the DS is churning out more titles. assuming 10% are appealing for either console, the DS wins...
the DS's best features (touce and voice inputs) are seeing games like brain training appeal to a wide group. old people, those who couldn't play pong are picking it up.
the nintendo Wifi is another big winner for the DS
to play multiplayer games is great for a handheld, i know very few others with a PSP, but have played quite a few DS games with others!
The game share of the PSP has been poorly supported, while the DS one means that you can try the game when playing with another, and if you like it go buy it to unlock more multiplayer options. mario kart was a great example of this

whats the hook for Sony? a big screen, well yes its a good thing, but we need more than good looks in a game...

the DS has compatability with a huge range of GBA games, out of the box.
the PSP, well hopefully the PS1 we have been promised will come out
homebrew has opened both to the whole back catologue (up to the N64)

Both consoles suffer from piracy, we all bought a larger mem stick which is roughly the same cost to get the items to run homebrew on the ds.
this all seems to go past unnoticed... does nintendo care?

Media...well both have ok media functionality through homebrew, the screen on the psp is better for video, but the battery lasts a lot longer on the ds

The DS, if given the continued games, will be hard to dislodge.
the PSP is far from a failure, and given homebrew, will continue to thrive. the PS1 will help open the door for more games

for any to succeed its the "out off the box" user that will not tinker or mod that needs to buy the console. the DS is more appealing to them

us - those reading this - sit on the other side and want the extra power and potential (and its still only potential) of the PSP. getting the gps and camera would go a long way towards justifing the extra cost.
Give the PSP more time and dont write it off yet.

Vancougar
August 30th, 2006, 15:12
The whole $40-$50 game thing for piss poor conversions of $10-$20 PS2 games or 10 year old classics is one thing that kills the PSP.
It's also the issue of the UMD in general. I sometimes use my PSP on trains and even though my daily commute is 40 mins; i can barely enjoy most titles on the go, because of the insanely long loading times.
Now, if Sony nixed UMD altogether and allowed digital downloads, i think the PSP would be alright again; just as long as money hungry Sony doesn't charge the analogue price for a digital download.