August 29th, 2006, 18:45
Here is a little update to the original version:
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/naigation.jpg

NEW IN v0.2
-----------
- compass bug fix
- CPU clock speed toggle between 222 & 333Mhz
- battery life display
- improved POI support (displays up to 400 closest POI on screen / works in "track up" mode too now)
- basic waypoint support
- new configuration paramaters (READTIME, WARNINGDISTANCE, etc)
People with slow baud GPS devices should try to adjust NMEA read timing (READTIME >1)
- some graphics tweaks and new sample map.

The binaries can be downloaded from following thread @ neoflash compo forums (page4):
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,2950.45.html
Once the contest is over, I'll post it here, on my site.

Here is a video, showing the routing feature:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uqzbWHOLLrc

[EDIT] Ups, I forgot to give credit to in7ane for making great map/POI/waypoints downloader tool for windows. Great work!

[EDIT2] it appears that 1.5 EBOOT.PBP that I compiled at home has problems displaying uncompressed jpeg maps.. (probably due to a old/different libjpeg version on my home PC). Please use the EBOOT from the map_This_v02_fw15_EBOOT.zip, attached to the release thread @ neoflash forums for 1.5 FW version.

Kramer
August 29th, 2006, 18:47
hmm i might try this where can you get the maps for it.

kochiro
August 29th, 2006, 20:58
hmm i might try this where can you get the maps for it.

Try here:
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068

BTW: Deniska, your link on the neo site doesn't work, you have to copy and paste the url into your browser for it to work.

Jay

deniska
August 29th, 2006, 21:37
Yeah, this is always the case.. just copy and paste it... Btw, You may want to re-download it - I just updated the zip with the latest version of gmdl program in which in7sane fixed some bugs... The zip file name is the same but the checksum should be different...

doverkiller
August 30th, 2006, 01:03
hi!

is it possible to use this GPS stuff with your PSP stuff? :D
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/onyx.php
if it is, please tell me how :)

thanx!

kochiro
August 30th, 2006, 01:58
Yeah, this is always the case.. just copy and paste it... Btw, You may want to re-download it - I just updated the zip with the latest version of gmdl program in which in7sane fixed some bugs... The zip file name is the same but the checksum should be different...

Ah, I didn't realize that, sorry. I think last time I got it from a link in these forums that someone posted and then removed due to contest rules.

Jay

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 04:02
hi!

is it possible to use this GPS stuff with your PSP stuff? :D
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/onyx.php
if it is, please tell me how :)

thanx!

This looks like it may work with Map This.
Of course the link does not give any detail on the cable's wiring and the voltage... If you dig out more detailed specs, perhaps I'll be able to help you more...
In any case, you'll need to figure out how you want to power this mouse - looks like you'll need to carry an extra battery in your pocket if you use this device...
(PSP's external voltage is just 2.5V which is not enough to power most GPS devices outthere)

Blac OrKhiD
August 30th, 2006, 06:00
is there a tutorial on loading waypionts/poi onto psp from in7zane's windows program, im not sure how to. great job on the update. i wasnt expecting anything for awhile.

joeschmoe.lyt
August 30th, 2006, 06:15
This is cross-posting but I think it belongs here in the first place. I have a map that I tested good earlier in v0.1 I formatted my ms and installed 0.2 and now that same map won't load. In 0.1 it seemed the orange ms led lit up dimly, or it pulsed. When 0.2 loads this same map it stays bright and constant for 8 seconds or so before shutting down the psp.
I renamed this map's root folder (on my pc) to something more recognizable, then again renamed it to include the under_score at the beginning. Could that be the problem?

Xern
August 30th, 2006, 07:28
@Doverkiller: I am quite sure that GPS will work. it does say "NMEA 2.2 GGA, GSA, GSV and RMC, Baud rate 4800bps" in the specifications, so if you figure out how to feed it power ur all good. Btw - you might even be able to draw power directly from the PSP, but I'm not sure about that.

Btw deniska, gonna try the new version of the viewer when I get home - at school now :D

fokia
August 30th, 2006, 09:48
Once more, great job, Deniska!!!! In such short time... :)

You should have won the competition by far... don't know what's wrong with people... :mad:

I'll try this on my way home for lunch, can't wait... :D :D

joeschmoe.lyt
August 30th, 2006, 14:41
There's definitely a major bug (more like a noob hiccup) in the map loading procedure. I completely erased my 0.1 program and copied the entire contents of 0.2 over. I made a small new map and it did the same thing I said in my previous posts. Going back to 0.1 for now....

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 16:11
There's definitely a major bug in the map loading procedure. I completely erased my 0.1 program and copied the entire contents of 0.2 over. I made a small new map and it did the same thing I said in my previous posts. Going back to 0.1 for now....

If you load sat maps and use it with 1.5 fw eboot, try the patch that I uploaded to neoflash forums....(see detaild at the begining of this thread..

fokia
August 30th, 2006, 16:12
I didn't have any problem loading previous maps... So must be you doing something wrong...

I have a suggestion for future versions:

I noticed that with lower zoom maps the operation is a little bumpier. I know that this is due to communications timings but couldn't this be fixed by predict/interpolating several points between each NMEA acquisition?? At least for the lowest zooms this would improve visually enormously...

Also, seem that the compus bug is fixed but still there a very slight grafic bug: some shadow on the left of the compus nothing BIG, though.

kAraCHo
August 30th, 2006, 16:23
Hi deniska!

Thanks for v0.2, it works great! I have two questions though... would it be possible to zoom the maps a litte more(e.g. stay on the same map zoom level but have a closer look a the map), so that steet names are displayed a little larger?
And can we have an arcoustic notification when we reach a waypoint, although the psp mutes itself when the headphone jack is plugged in... Is there a funtion that reenables the build-in speakers?

kAraCHo

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 16:51
I didn't have any problem loading previous maps... So must be you doing something wrong...

I have a suggestion for future versions:

I noticed that with lower zoom maps the operation is a little bumpier. I know that this is due to communications timings but couldn't this be fixed by predict/interpolating several points between each NMEA acquisition?? At least for the lowest zooms this would improve visually enormously...

Also, seem that the compus bug is fixed but still there a very slight grafic bug: some shadow on the left of the compus nothing BIG, though.

The predicting logic is already there - basically the program will try to continue to move the maps in the same direction with a slight slowdown (.95 of previous speed on each subsequent map rendering)
The 0.95 value seems to work the best for most driving conditions- it smoths 1sec jumps a bit and yet gives good precision during sudden speed or direction changes... Perhaps, in the next version, I'll make it configurable too...

As to the graphics glitch with compass - well I suck at photoshop, so if anyone is willing to tweak the graphics - feel free to do so.. the program may use better fonts/icons/backgrounds/etc...

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 16:59
Hi deniska!

Thanks for v0.2, it works great! I have two questions though... would it be possible to zoom the maps a litte more(e.g. stay on the same map zoom level but have a closer look a the map), so that steet names are displayed a little larger?
And can we have an arcoustic notification when we reach a waypoint, although the psp mutes itself when the headphone jack is plugged in... Is there a funtion that reenables the build-in speakers?

kAraCHo
I may implement the zoom in for a "track up" mode....
I am pretty sure that the mute thing is mechanical and cannot be programmed.. but I could be wrong...
and I think u do need a audio plug inside, in order for the serial port to work... again I could be wrong - so perhaps someone will be willing to experiment with the setup...

fokia
August 30th, 2006, 17:09
and I think u do need a audio plug inside, in order for the serial port to work... again I could be wrong - so perhaps someone will be willing to experiment with the setup...

Well as I intend to build me a neater cable I might be able to test that...

About the prediction: if it's already there I think it could be easily adjusted to zoom(0-1 maybe)/speed (high-speed) level so that map bumps gets smoothen... but those are just improvement suggestions...

joeschmoe.lyt
August 30th, 2006, 20:33
You say to use the eboot that you put at the bottom of your edit. But which eboot does it replace? The one in the mapViewer folder? or the mapViewer% folder?

deniska
August 30th, 2006, 20:37
one in mapViewer folder, of course ;-)

joeschmoe.lyt
August 30th, 2006, 21:38
That did it! Cheers!

seesoe
August 31st, 2006, 04:29
I may implement the zoom in for a "track up" mode....
I am pretty sure that the mute thing is mechanical and cannot be programmed.. but I could be wrong...

yes the psp will NOT send/get any data from the serial port, if you do not have the headphone head pluged in
*just a random thing** for those who think the psp remote system is some sort of simple interface/hookup. your wrong the psp remote system is complex*

pspryu101
August 31st, 2006, 06:18
does anybody know where to get the cheapest holux 236 out there???? like around $40 to $60??? i heard u can use older models of the holux like gr-230 and 231 models but when i searched for them it seems like they are much more expensive than d 236 one?? like around $130..why??? any advice where or maybe u can tell me any different brand of usb gps that are cheaper but works perfectly for the map this! app....thanks!!! really would appreciate it!!

Spectreman
August 31st, 2006, 06:23
Hi Deniska.
Got your new version ok. I tried changing the readtime values to 2,3 & 4, but still no go with my Garmin GPS III. Really think the gps is a bit too old. My Garmin puts out NMEA version 2.0 by the way. I will be interested to hear how Xern goes with his Garmin.....

DarcyWood
August 31st, 2006, 06:40
Great upgrade. Going to install now.

I got a holux 236 for $93 out the door.

DarcyWood
August 31st, 2006, 06:59
I'm sorry, I can't figure out how to get the waypoint/
directions support turned on.

The 'turn left here' is going to be awesome.

Rengoku
August 31st, 2006, 08:58
does anybody know where to get the cheapest holux 236 out there???? like around $40 to $60??? i heard u can use older models of the holux like gr-230 and 231 models but when i searched for them it seems like they are much more expensive than d 236 one?? like around $130..why??? any advice where or maybe u can tell me any different brand of usb gps that are cheaper but works perfectly for the map this! app....thanks!!! really would appreciate it!!

I got my gpslim236 from ebay for about 70$ US (incl. shipping).

eothraim
August 31st, 2006, 09:14
Hi: I'm spanish; my english is bad.:(

Where encounter download the Map This V 0.2.
I have entered in the neoflash site but no encounter the download.:o

Thank's beforehand.
the translation has been with google :D .

deniska
August 31st, 2006, 13:04
Hi: I'm spanish; my english is bad.:(

Where encounter download the Map This V 0.2.
I have entered in the neoflash site but no encounter the download.:o

Thank's beforehand.
the translation has been with google :D .
You need to register with the forums there to be able to see the links...

fokia
August 31st, 2006, 14:00
You need to register with the forums there to be able to see the links...

traducindo:

hay que crear una cuenta en los foruns antes de empezar a postear o mirar los links o attachments...

Ah, si te gusta esto soft por favor vota en DENISKA en NEO foruns

Perdóname pero no tengo platicado mi español...

vibez
August 31st, 2006, 15:11
traducindo:

hay que crear una cuenta en los foruns antes de empezar a postear o mirar los links o attachments...

Ah, si te gusta esto soft por favor vota en DENISKA en NEO foruns

Perdóname pero no tengo platicado mi español...

Show off! hehe :)

fokia
August 31st, 2006, 16:11
Show off! hehe :)

So, I'm showing off hey?!?

I speack Portuguese thats very similar to Spanish (we're neighbours...) Usually, Spanish don't understand very well Portuguese (for several reasons...), but Portuguese do understand and try to speak spanish... :rolleyes:

Since the user had to use google to translate I guess he also need google to read it - Why not make things simplier? I didn't use google, though... :o

I'm also fluent in french and very basic in Dutch and German (lack the time to it...). If you need me to translate anything to you I'll make it cheaper for you ;)

Xern
August 31st, 2006, 17:17
Here I am, back again with a report of version 2.0 (with the patch-fix)

Settings:
No UMD
Wifi switch off
Verified correct cabling with the greenscreen proggy

Tried all the numbers from 1-8 for "readtime", and on 8 my psp crashed. Checked the memcard, and stdout.txt had become corrurpt. Reformatting now to try 8 again - will keep y'all posted.

EDIT: 8 didn't work, trying 9.

EDIT: OMG! 9 partially worked! It said it got signals, but I was apparently about 300 miles from my current position... Then my PSP locked up lol. Gonna keep tryin'

EDIT: 10 didn't work, but I swear there's something about 9. It doesn't say I get signals anymore, but it occasionally locks up... Sure I shouldn't try anything higher than 10? What about decimal numbers?

EDIT: Tried 8.5, locked up the PSP as soon as I hit []... Gonna wait with trying more until I get a response from Deniska. Btw, my GPS batteries ran flat right after the last test =( Gonna get fresh ones tomorrow.

joeschmoe.lyt
August 31st, 2006, 20:41
Hablo porquito mexicano.
Tienes que registrar en neoflash forum (discussion) aqui:
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=a8813a06328d0a189b02915b3fd89d eb&action=register
Usted no puede traducir la página con google?
Primero, escribe o incorpore su nombre...
después, su email address
entonces su contraseña dos veces en las dos cajas pasadas
compruebe la caja cerca del fondo - "I agree" (usted conviene)
tienes que abrir su email y chascar"click" el acoplamiento subrayado para vuelto de neoflash
recepción! bueno!
Vaya aqui: http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,3049.0.html
y por favor voto para deniska - mapthis! en la tapa
Vaya aquí para los archivos:http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,2950.0.html
Tengo mucho tiempo, necesito mas trabajando!
Ok ok I admit I used alta vista when I had to use non-kindergarten words.

deniska
August 31st, 2006, 21:15
Here I am, back again with a report of version 2.0 (with the patch-fix)

Settings:
No UMD
Wifi switch off
Verified correct cabling with the greenscreen proggy

Tried all the numbers from 1-8 for "readtime", and on 8 my psp crashed. Checked the memcard, and stdout.txt had become corrurpt. Reformatting now to try 8 again - will keep y'all posted.

EDIT: 8 didn't work, trying 9.

EDIT: OMG! 9 partially worked! It said it got signals, but I was apparently about 300 miles from my current position... Then my PSP locked up lol. Gonna keep tryin'

EDIT: 10 didn't work, but I swear there's something about 9. It doesn't say I get signals anymore, but it occasionally locks up... Sure I shouldn't try anything higher than 10? What about decimal numbers?

EDIT: Tried 8.5, locked up the PSP as soon as I hit []... Gonna wait with trying more until I get a response from Deniska. Btw, my GPS batteries ran flat right after the last test =( Gonna get fresh ones tomorrow.

Can you capture a couple of screens from the green program in action and post it here?
I want to take a look at your data...

A Fn NOOB
September 1st, 2006, 02:24
Ok, I tried the new version, and changed the "multiplier", first trying 2 as a starting point. I was able to get my position, but it was jumping around within 500ft or so from my actual position. I then went to 3, then 4, then 8. At 8, it is right on the money, and works smooth for about 2 minutes, at which point my PSP freezes up badly. Had to take the battery out to reset.

Also, 8 is the only variable that it displays the # of satellites, etc.

pspryu101
September 1st, 2006, 02:49
hey deniska maybe i can request for a better guide on how to make the gps for psp cuz i'm really a NOOB on doing these " make ur own " stuff.....just can u give more details on how to make it cuz imma little confused on the single pic of guide that u posted here....thanks!!!! alot!!!! i would really appreciate it if u make it!!! thanks!!!

deniska
September 1st, 2006, 04:02
Ok, I tried the new version, and changed the "multiplier", first trying 2 as a starting point. I was able to get my position, but it was jumping around within 500ft or so from my actual position. I then went to 3, then 4, then 8. At 8, it is right on the money, and works smooth for about 2 minutes, at which point my PSP freezes up badly. Had to take the battery out to reset.

Also, 8 is the only variable that it displays the # of satellites, etc.

It would be helpful if you could somehow record NMEA data from your GPS...
What probably happens, - your device produces more than 512 bytes of data per read cycle and overflows the allocated buffer...
I'll try to post an updated version tomorrow or in a few days. Hopefully it will deal with this problem....

Xern
September 1st, 2006, 07:18
Right now, I don't have any internet connection at school. Which obviously means I'm there now, and not at home :P

Gonna run the gereny program through iR-Shell to get u some screens later today ^^

Spectreman
September 1st, 2006, 07:48
Hi Deniska.
Your comments about the read cycle are exactly right & do apply to my Garmin GPSIII. My GPS has an update interval of 2 secs, twice as long as usual.
Here is a capture of its output:

$GPRMC,183729,A,3907.356,N,12102.482,W,000.0,360.0 ,080301,015.5,E*6F
$GPRMB,A,,,,,,,,,,,,V*71
$GPGGA,183730,3907.356,N,12102.482,W,1,05,1.6,646. 4,M,-24.1,M,,*75
$GPGSA,A,3,02,,,07,,09,24,26,,,,,1.6,1.6,1.0*3D
$GPGSV,2,1,08,02,43,088,38,04,42,145,00,05,11,291, 00,07,60,043,35*71
$GPGSV,2,2,08,08,02,145,00,09,46,303,47,24,16,178, 32,26,18,231,43*77
$PGRME,22.0,M,52.9,M,51.0,M*14
$GPGLL,3907.360,N,12102.481,W,183730,A*33
$PGRMZ,2062,f,3*2D
$PGRMM,WGS 84*06
$GPBOD,,T,,M,,*47
$GPRTE,1,1,c,0*07
$GPRMC,183731,A,3907.482,N,12102.436,W,000.0,360.0 ,080301,015.5,E*67
$GPRMB,A,,,,,,,,,,,,V*71

Cheers, Chris.

eothraim
September 1st, 2006, 08:48
Thank you all.
I've voted for Deniska You have 23%of the votes.
Your work is nice.:D

Baher
September 1st, 2006, 13:24
Simple Question :

MapThis will be able to work with the official gps ?

Sorry if my english is bad, i am french :D

pspsk8r
September 1st, 2006, 14:03
is it just for 1.5 or does it work on 2.8 cause if it does i want it!

deniska
September 1st, 2006, 14:40
Simple Question :

MapThis will be able to work with the official gps ?

Sorry if my english is bad, i am french :D

Not out of the box...
But perhaps with some further hacking it might...

Baher
September 1st, 2006, 14:43
Thx deniska for ur quick answer and ur prog MAPThis :D

deniska
September 1st, 2006, 15:00
Here is a patched version for "other gps device" users, with increased NMEA buffer..
Please try it and let me know if it works for your devices...

If you use GPSlim 236 - you don't need to upgrade...

Baher
September 1st, 2006, 20:10
I havn't gps for the moment but if i find friend who can test, i tell u !

alexcooltranquille
September 2nd, 2006, 12:07
Hello, I'm French and i have the GPS inforad V3 ( NMEA-0183 v2.0 ) and I would like to know how to make it function with Map This.
Somebody can liberally help me.

eothraim
September 2nd, 2006, 16:52
Hi team!

I have one problem, after installing the new version of MAp this and after download the map of me region, i put the program and when putting way (mode)gps, the program says: location out of range!! because it passes this to me?

The new version install it replacing the eboot, I did it well? can for that reason?.

Thx I go to learn English so that understand better

deniska
September 2nd, 2006, 17:29
Hi team!

I have one problem, after installing the new version of MAp this and after download the map of me region, i put the program and when putting way (mode)gps, the program says: location out of range!! because it passes this to me?

The new version install it replacing the eboot, I did it well? can for that reason?.

Thx I go to learn English so that understand better
Make sure FAKEFEED is disabled in config, check WIFI switch and UMD drive...

deniska
September 2nd, 2006, 17:48
Hello, I'm French and i have the GPS inforad V3 ( NMEA-0183 v2.0 ) and I would like to know how to make it function with Map This.
Somebody can liberally help me.

I don't think it will work. This device seems to use usb protocol for data exchange. It has to have serial (rs232) support in order to work with map this!.

alexcooltranquille
September 2nd, 2006, 19:29
Thank you for your answer I will buy myself another receiver GPS there would be it a better GPS than the HOLUX proposed compatible with Map This?
Sorry for my English I am only 15 years old.

eothraim
September 2nd, 2006, 20:23
Make sure FAKEFEED is disabled in config, check WIFI switch and UMD drive...

I have the UMD empty and the WIFI is off.

What do you mean with "FAKEFEED" in the configuration?? I don't understand it.

Thanks!

A Fn NOOB
September 2nd, 2006, 20:59
Thank you for your answer I will buy myself another receiver GPS there would be it a better GPS than the HOLUX proposed compatible with Map This?
Sorry for my English I am only 15 years old.

Can you post a picture of the USB cable used?
I think most all GPS recievers use rs232 output, and the conversion to USB takes place inside the cable with a "PLL" circuit, usually embedded near the USB end. Which means you could hack the cable with ease.

kamatschka
September 2nd, 2006, 21:01
in mapViewer\system\ Folder is a config.txt... open it and in the Lin where FAKEFEED=1 is written you must write instead of 1 a 0 !!

FAKEFEED=0

@ ALL

So my Problem is now that in MapThis the Arrow... when I drive resfreshes every... let say 1 Second... so.. every 1 Second the Position is refrshed in MapThis...

But on deniskas Videos you can see that it's refreshing not in so long time... it need less time then at mine PSP!!!

so.. can someone help me at this or hase anyone a resolution for my problem???!!!

Thank you!!

A Fn NOOB
September 2nd, 2006, 21:19
It would be helpful if you could somehow record NMEA data from your GPS...
What probably happens, - your device produces more than 512 bytes of data per read cycle and overflows the allocated buffer...
I'll try to post an updated version tomorrow or in a few days. Hopefully it will deal with this problem....

Specs on my GPS (Pharos/Microsoft GPS-360)
Protocol:
NMEA-0183 (V2.3) standard Data rate:4800 bpsNMEA message:GGA, GSA, GSV, and RMC
With the green-screen program I can see that before data output begins, it displays Firmware version, mfgr date, etc....several lines of info. If I plug in the reciever and quickly unplug it I can see this information. There's no way to pause the output via the program.

Using the patch, I have MapThis working great now with respect to position, but the other data (altitude, time, # of satellites) doesnt show up. Its not parsing the other lines

Spectreman
September 2nd, 2006, 23:05
A question for A Fn NOOB: What readtime setting have you got in your config file ?
I still cannot get my Garmin GPSIII to work with the new version. Is promising to hear that you have got your GPS working ok. I assume that the Pharos GPS-360 is a fairly recent model.

deniska
September 3rd, 2006, 03:17
So my Problem is now that in MapThis the Arrow... when I drive resfreshes every... let say 1 Second... so.. every 1 Second the Position is refrshed in MapThis...

But on deniskas Videos you can see that it's refreshing not in so long time... it need less time then at mine PSP!!!

so.. can someone help me at this or hase anyone a resolution for my problem???!!!

Thank you!!
Holux's refresh rate is 1 sec. I put in some basic logic which tries to predic the next location and make moving less jumpier... It seems to work best @ zoom 2 and higher...

kamatschka
September 3rd, 2006, 08:40
and how can I configure this to let the Arrow move smoother.....

Need I configure the config file or do you coded it in MapView itself?!

Thank you.... deniska

eothraim
September 3rd, 2006, 10:22
I have another Question:

How can I introduce the waypoints in the map?
The in7ane's program generates one archive and I don't know where i must put it on in order to watch it.

Thx.

deniska
September 3rd, 2006, 16:55
I have another Question:

How can I introduce the waypoints in the map?
The in7ane's program generates one archive and I don't know where i must put it on in order to watch it.

Thx.
If you know your waypoint's GPS coordinates, you can manually incert it in any POI file (anyplace)

Refer to the README file for details

deniska
September 3rd, 2006, 16:57
and how can I configure this to let the Arrow move smoother.....

Need I configure the config file or do you coded it in MapView itself?!

Thank you.... deniska
You can't, since it's hardcoded in current version.
I'll probably make it configurable in the next release.

kamatschka
September 3rd, 2006, 17:07
Thank you for your answer...
That would be good if it will be configurable in next Version!!!

and congratulations to the 1st Place on the contest...
You made it!!!!

;) ;) :D

joeschmoe.lyt
September 3rd, 2006, 22:01
Congratulations! Just wondering, how does 71 beat 109? Did they go back and see several of the votes for IrShell were from the same ip address or what? You certainly deserved to win, not only for making something new and awesome, but for spending so much time spoon-feeding us noobs. I'll probably still send you $20 soon anyways...its that good!

kamatschka
September 4th, 2006, 01:12
@ deniska

I have some suggestions for the Next release of Map This....

1. Can you code MapThis so that the PSP Screen don't get off after a couple of minutes

2. It'll be good if it would be possible to mark some Places/Locations on the Map with a Icon and maybe a description.....
So.. directly in MapThis

3. in next release it would be nice if you could integrate the "SMOOTHER" Arrow Move !! :D

So.. that were 3 of my suggestions for the next release....

I will post more suggestions when they appear in my Brain!!! :D :D :D :D :D :cool:

So keep up the really good work.....
This will be a KillerApp for the PSP!!!
Thank you for your work!!

:cool: :cool:

KLICK ME (http://files.isnichwahr.com/flash/isnichwahr-de-thank-you.swf)

seesoe
September 4th, 2006, 04:02
omg i love the thank u's
LOL

Rengoku
September 4th, 2006, 04:15
@ deniska

I have some suggestions for the Next release of Map This....

1. Can you code MapThis so that the PSP Screen don't get off after a couple of minutes

That's not really part of the app, its your Power Save Settings. You turn it off by disabling "Backlight Auto-Off".

vibez
September 4th, 2006, 10:07
Congratulations! Just wondering, how does 71 beat 109? Did they go back and see several of the votes for IrShell were from the same ip address or what? You certainly deserved to win, not only for making something new and awesome, but for spending so much time spoon-feeding us noobs. I'll probably still send you $20 soon anyways...its that good!

The poll was only part of the decision the judges used to decide who won

A Fn NOOB
September 4th, 2006, 16:51
The poll was only part of the decision the judges used to decide who won

Its a company that makes HARDWARE for gaming consoles.

Deniska's project is the only app that involves a hardware hack to get full functionality.

Im glad it didnt reloy soley on the input from n00bz and m0r0ns.

:-I

GPSFan
September 5th, 2006, 15:01
Hi I am having trouble with compressed maps? The map I am using is about 1.89gb which is huge taking up my entire memory stick. How can I save some space? I heard you can compress it which I'ved tried to RAR format. But when I tried to load it up, it would freeze my entire system and I have to remove the battery pack to reset. Great software! Congrats on winning 1st place with a well deserved victory!

fokia
September 5th, 2006, 15:17
Hi I am having trouble with compressed maps? The map I am using is about 1.89gb which is huge taking up my entire memory stick. How can I save some space? I heard you can compress it which I'ved tried to RAR format. But when I tried to load it up, it would freeze my entire system and I have to remove the battery pack to reset. Great software! Congrats on winning 1st place with a well deserved victory!

The only way is to remove some tiles you don't need (water/mountains/other).

The MapThis should handle the missing tiles. It's known that huge maps don’t work well compressed due to file rearrangement inside the zip file... don't know how deniska is planning (if so) to fix that...

One advise I may give you is try to divide that huge area in several small areas and name them the way you can know were you are and change manually to other area when reach boundaries,
9 maps:

NW|N|NE
W|0| E
SW|S|SE

deniska
September 5th, 2006, 16:16

wow, 1.89gb!! how big is that map?
You defenetely don't want to zip this map...

FYI, as I mentioned before, map this! currently would not correcly display maps bigger than 256x256 (it cuts out half of the map)
I'll fix this bug in the next release...

Make sure you format your MS to FAT32 - it does save alot of space.
You can also save space by removing some zoom layers (can't completely remove the most detailed one though) and/or getting rid of some tiles (for areas that you don't need, like lakes, etc)
You can get rid of zoom layer by removing the Nx folder insize the map (2x,4x, etc)

in7ane's dl tool already offers "area editing" in the last few versions..
Yet another way to save space would be to batch process all images with Photoshop, Image Magic or some other program - you can try to reduce the number of colors in the PNG or convert it to JPG with some loss of quality...

drEDN4wt
September 5th, 2006, 17:18
deniska, can the next version not shut off with select.

Everytime I switch back to ishell with left-shoulder and select , it quits mapviewer.

Also could headphones be used while a gps device is plugged in if a headphone cable was spliced into the gps connector?

And have you got a link for the map_This_v02_fw15_EBOOT.zip file?

deniska
September 5th, 2006, 18:43
deniska, can the next version not shut off with select.

Also could headphones be used while a gps device is plugged in if a headphone cable was spliced into the gps connector?

Just tried to multitask MapThis with mp3 player using IrShell:
I does work but skips GPS readings ocasionally.

This could be less of the problem with slower baud devices (mine is 38900)

GPSFan
September 5th, 2006, 21:46
wow, 1.89gb!! how big is that map?
You defenetely don't want to zip this map...

FYI, as I mentioned before, map this! currently would not correcly display maps bigger than 256x256 (it cuts out half of the map)
I'll fix this bug in the next release...

Make sure you format your MS to FAT32 - it does save alot of space.
You can also save space by removing some zoom layers (can't completely remove the most detailed one though) and/or getting rid of some tiles (for areas that you don't need, like lakes, etc)
You can get rid of zoom layer by removing the Nx folder insize the map (2x,4x, etc)

in7ane's dl tool already offers "area editing" in the last few versions..
Yet another way to save space would be to batch process all images with Photoshop, Image Magic or some other program - you can try to reduce the number of colors in the PNG or convert it to JPG with some loss of quality...

Hi thanks for replying. lol I'm surprised by your reaction when I said it's 1.89gb. hehe I have actually removed some fo the zooms and I will take your advice to format it in FAT32. I'm not sure how that can be done I just use the tool that is within the psp. Thanks for your help.

However I am still unsure of how to use the waypoint features. Let's say I wanna find my way home. I saved my home cooordinates into a POI file using the in7ane's tool. Saved it as _home so when I choose it and activate POI I see a little dot. But would it tell me how to get to the little dot in the shortest possible way from where I am currently? Like how it shows on the display pic for the first post of this thread?

Again thanks so much for EVERYTHING! You have no idea how long I've been searching for something like this.

deniska
September 5th, 2006, 21:58
However I am still unsure of how to use the waypoint features. Let's say I wanna find my way home. I saved my home cooordinates into a POI file using the in7ane's tool. Saved it as _home so when I choose it and activate POI I see a little dot. But would it tell me how to get to the little dot in the shortest possible way from where I am currently? Like how it shows on the display pic for the first post of this thread?

Again thanks so much for EVERYTHING! You have no idea how long I've been searching for something like this.
You have to import a route not just a single POI..
MapThis! does not have data to do route calculations by itself

You can import a route (which is a collection of points with instructions along your way from MSN using in7ane's tool..

GPSFan
September 6th, 2006, 00:24
You have to import a route not just a single POI..
MapThis! does not have data to do route calculations by itself

You can import a route (which is a collection of points with instructions along your way from MSN using in7ane's tool..

Great thanks I think I got it. I tried what you said formatted my mem stick to FAT32 and the reinstalled all dh etc.. and reinstalled mapview deleted 1X and 32x leaving on 2x/4x/8x/16x. After all that I ended up with about 1.85gb FREE! It was a drastic difference. Thanks so much for the advice! I think the FAT32 really helped. I dont' think it was formatted to FAT32 before that's the main difference took up about 1.8gb.

kididio
September 6th, 2006, 08:49
hi again deniska, i post the same text as in the neo forum, with anwering your questions.

hy deniska, i´am a german user and i must first shake your hands for the 1st place, a very great programm!!!
And the Idea with the serial port let my project go round to Smiley

But, i must say you the same as danzel, on your gps viewer programm the gps signals are shown on the screen, but when i start mapthis! i always had "Bad Data", i own a gps slim 236, same like you. And curios is that, first time, after build the special cable, i start map this, the gps works, i´ve drive around and my position was shown on screen, but since monday, nothing, the gps device is like dead. I´ve the wifi switch of and no umd in slot, but nothing works.

I´ve build my cable with the original psp remote controller cable, with one mod. i´ve cut of the pin connector for the headphones, in high of the serial connector, so i can hear music too when i´ve connectet the gps device. Since i´ve cut this, map this says no to my gps device, but over this connectors nothing comes thru. And, i´ve said it, in your gps viewer app. its funct. wonderfull... I hope you can help me!

Yes it works in the green screen app, i´ve alleready wrote this, look upper pls. It works at the moment, after cutting the connector, the orange led is blinking, satelite connection is etablished, the only prob i have is that mapthis! wont would work with my data, in green screen i see lon, lat, connectet satelites, quality etc, and in map this nothing, wifi is off (switch off) and theres no umd in slot, but it wont work, yes, i´ve gave FAKEFEED a "0", how i told, first time after building cable i connect the gpsslim start map this and see me as an arrow on the downloaded maps, you know it alleready works very fine, i hope you can now help me, i´ve took every option i´ve had before i wanted to ask you...
But, i think i buy a new PSP cable and build it again, what is crazy at the moment, then one app show me off my coordinats, and the other is still quite.

deniska
September 6th, 2006, 15:44
Did you cut the audio plug?
I think it may need to be inserted in order to power the seral port...
Unlike, green screen program, MapThis loads WIFI modules, which seem to impose this as well as UMD Drive thing...

kamatschka
September 6th, 2006, 20:57
so... i have one question....

is it possible to port an OpenSource GPS Project to the PSP!?
This would make your work maybe a little bit easier to integrate the ROuting Part in your software?!

I searched the web for Open Source GPS projects and found something maybe interessting for you!!

Here are the Links !!

First:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cwkelley/

Second:

http://gps.psas.pdx.edu/

Third Link:

http://www.gpsdrive.cc/

and the last Link!

http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=283875

so... im reading these sites now to look if it's for USE but i Think you, deniska knows it better then me!!
maybe you (deniska) could need something like this?!

Greetz

kamatschka

deniska
September 6th, 2006, 22:05
so... i have one question....

is it possible to port an OpenSource GPS Project to the PSP!?
This would make your work maybe a little bit easier to integrate the ROuting Part in your software?!

I searched the web for Open Source GPS projects and found something maybe interessting for you!!

Here are the Links !!

First:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cwkelley/

Second:

http://gps.psas.pdx.edu/

Third Link:

http://www.gpsdrive.cc/

and the last Link!

http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=283875

so... im reading these sites now to look if it's for USE but i Think you, deniska knows it better then me!!
maybe you (deniska) could need something like this?!

Greetz

kamatschka

Correct me if I am wrong, but neither of those projects deals with routing...

kamatschka
September 6th, 2006, 22:30
so.. none of these projects deals with automatic Routing ?!

All of these Projects uses manual Waypoint integration!!!??

Hmmm...

I think this part... the routing will be the hardest of all to integrate / code to MapThis....

so.. is there another way to generate Waypoints / routes directly on the PSP....
Maybe i's possible to code a App like in7ane's for the PSP...
Yes.. it needs a Wlan/Internet connection but it would be a solution to get A Waypoint File (Route) directly on the PSP without a Computer!

This would make your MapThis more mobile!!

sorry for my bad english , but I think you know what I mean!

A Fn NOOB
September 7th, 2006, 03:53
Tiger Maps is the only 100% open map that has corresponding database. Its USA only, and dated 1998. (Which doesnt matter much in an established area like nyc...but might in say, Atlanta which has grown exponentially in the past few years)

Its from the US Census bureau and from what I read, a number of applications have been written using the maps/data

I wonder... if anyone's tried using the DATA files from Tiger to index another map like Google-maps.

Edit- Or a database from a commercial app like Streets & trips.

kididio
September 7th, 2006, 07:23
Hi deniska.
You´re right, i´ve ripped my friends remotecontroller, and build a new cable. Now it works graet again... now i´ve build-in a audio connector... but i don´t understand why the not energy transporting cables or connectors must plugged in, but i must not understand everything...:eek:

deniska
September 8th, 2006, 18:29
Here is a little update for beta testers with following new features:
- basic trip details: timer, distance, avg speed
- multiple icons (up to 10) support for POIs:
each POI file can contain up to 10 different poi icons (see below)
- removed icon size definition (the size if read from the image itself, this should be backwards compatible with prev definition though...
POI definition example:
!IMAGE:banks.png,
43.269348,-82.531088,Eastern Michigan Bank,(810) 359-5353 - 5446 Main St; Lexington; MI,
43.266922,-82.530929,Citizens First Savings Bank,(810) 359-7947 - 5536 Main St; Lexington; MI,
43.275666,-82.619585,Eastern Michigan Bank,(810) 679-2001 - Croswell; MI,
!IMAGE:food.png,
42.976435,-83.058008,Linda\'s Country Store,(810) 798-3748 - 3070 Van Dyke Rd; Almont; MI,
42.928440,-83.050100,Mc Donald\'s,(810) 798-2124 - 894 N Van Dyke Rd; Almont; MI,

- speed up in menu responses
- some new parameters in config file:
###########################################
# THIS VARIABLE IS INTRODUCED TO SMOOTH #
# THE MAP MOVEMENT BETWEEN GPS UPDATES #
# IE THE MAP WILL CONTINUE MOVEMENT IN #
# THE SAME DIRECTION WITH A SLIGHT #
# DECREASE OF SPEED FOR EACH NEXT #
# FRAME RENDERING #
SPEEDFACTOR=0.97
##########################################
## LOAD WIFI MODULE ##
LOADWIFI=0

- NMEA buffer increased to 1024 - this may help some GPS devices
- map size bug fixed. Now it should support maps up to 1024x1024

The zip only contains 1.5FW version...

[EDIT] Just added basic "DISTANCE TO MARK" support. (v02b_EBOOT.zip (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9915&stc=1&d=1157741901))
You can set the mark with LEFT TRIGGER.
When in GPS mode it will show the distance to the mark in either miles or KM (based on your SPEEDFIX var)
I know in7ane wanted the arrow too.. perhaps someone could create frames for it ( 128x16) since my photoshop just stopped working... Once I have the graphics - I'll add it..

vibez
September 8th, 2006, 19:14
Great stuff. Thanks for implementing multiple icons :)

jyhuh
September 8th, 2006, 21:28
Dansika, thanks for the awsome app. I just have one really small request though. In the next update, can you make it so that you can scroll down in the "attarctions" menu? I have a lot of waypoints saved and I cant see more than 10 or so bc I cant scroll down. But I gotta say, this is awesome

jimmy7
September 9th, 2006, 01:39
Deniska, do you have any idea why the gps coordinates are wrongly displayed when the world map is used ? They are perfectly OK when I grab a local map of the city, but LAT is off by 0.496214 and LON by 0.001956.

On another issue, I was thinking of whether it would be possible of getting a wifi sniffer into the mapthis (i.e. create waypoints of hotspots on the fly). So I wonder why wlan must be disabled to actually receive a GPS signal, as it is not disturbing the gps receiver (the led is still flashing and from time to time it also works OK). Does it mean there is noise on the serial port cable ? If so, could one reduce the value of the resistor to xxx Ohm to fix this or even amplify the signal/ filter out the noise (by some bandpass filter) ?

And finally I think storing map files as single files on a vfat filesystem is extremely inefficient. Maybe one should extract the static filesystem from the linux kernel, such that there is only a single file on vfat containing a whole map.

Anyway, keep up the great work - I really like this program a lot!

in7ane
September 10th, 2006, 14:34
Deniska, thanks for the update!

Here are the arrows (same setup as compass.png):

http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/128x16arrows.png
and
http://homepage.mac.com/f.levin/psp/128x16arrows.psd

They are from http://www.nps.gov/hfc/carto/map-symbols.htm which is also an excellent, and public domain, source for POI icons.

I've also updated the map download app to create POI files with multiple icons (link over in http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33068&page=11).

GPSFan
September 10th, 2006, 16:31
Deniska, do you have any idea why the gps coordinates are wrongly displayed when the world map is used ? They are perfectly OK when I grab a local map of the city, but LAT is off by 0.496214 and LON by 0.001956.

On another issue, I was thinking of whether it would be possible of getting a wifi sniffer into the mapthis (i.e. create waypoints of hotspots on the fly). So I wonder why wlan must be disabled to actually receive a GPS signal, as it is not disturbing the gps receiver (the led is still flashing and from time to time it also works OK). Does it mean there is noise on the serial port cable ? If so, could one reduce the value of the resistor to xxx Ohm to fix this or even amplify the signal/ filter out the noise (by some bandpass filter) ?

And finally I think storing map files as single files on a vfat filesystem is extremely inefficient. Maybe one should extract the static filesystem from the linux kernel, such that there is only a single file on vfat containing a whole map.

Hi Jimmy7

You sound like an expert. I am just an admirer of this project and Deniska's work but I am not at all an expert programmer. I am not a programmer by profession but I do a little programming. If you could help with this project I'm sure that we won't be very far from having the ability to enter destinations and get directions on demand through wifi.

lewbacca
September 11th, 2006, 21:04
deniska i have a question about the routing function.
are the waypoints stored in gpx format? there is a javascript existing to give out gpx data after calculation of a route on google maps. it would be pretty easy to just store the txt files on the psp then. perhaps thats the way to go, for easy navigation

thats what a gpx file would look like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gpx version="1.1"
creator="GMapToGPX 4.10
xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">
<rte>
<name>Driving directions</name>
<cmt>via Google Maps</cmt>
<rtept lat="50.9775" lon="6.88854">
<name>Start</name>
<cmt>Richtung Ost von Hugo-Eckener-Straße</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.97751" lon="6.90228">
<name>Turn 1</name>
<cmt>In Butzweilerstraße rechts halten</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.97059" lon="6.91621">
<name>Turn 2</name>
<cmt>Links auf die Auffahrt zur A57 nach Zentrum abbiegen</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.96921" lon="6.9193">
<name>Turn 3</name>
<cmt>Die Auffahrt nach Zentrum nehmen</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.96779" lon="6.9203">
<name>Turn 4</name>
<cmt>In den Verkehr nach A57/K4 einfädeln</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.96219" lon="6.92559">
<name>Turn 5</name>
<cmt>Weiter auf K4 nach Zoobrücke/Zentrum/Lindenthal</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.95655" lon="6.92932">
<name>Turn 6</name>
<cmt>Weiter in Richtung K4</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.95315" lon="6.93873">
<name>Turn 7</name>
<cmt>Weiter auf Innere Kanalstraße</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.95794" lon="6.9585">
<name>Turn 8</name>
<cmt>Weiter auf B55a</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.9471" lon="6.98557">
<name>Turn 9</name>
<cmt>Die Ausfahrt nehmen</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.94482" lon="6.9853">
<name>Turn 10</name>
<cmt>In Pfälzischer Ring rechts halten</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.94454" lon="6.98407">
<name>Turn 11</name>
<cmt>Weiter auf Deutz-Mülheimer Straße</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.93975" lon="6.97889">
<name>Turn 12</name>
<cmt>In Opladener Straße rechts abbiegen</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.9399" lon="6.97386">
<name>Turn 13</name>
<cmt>In Auenweg rechts abbiegen</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.94182" lon="6.97335">
<name>Turn 14</name>
<cmt>In Messeplatz links abbiegen</cmt>
</rtept>
<rtept lat="50.94179" lon="6.97262">
<name>Arrive</name>
<cmt>Arrive at destination</cmt>
</rtept>
</rte>
</gpx>

A Fn NOOB
September 12th, 2006, 02:01
Hey Lewbacca, was wondering what happened to you! Glad to see you are up & running now with gps.

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 04:04
nope, route is stored as a collection of waypoints in my propriatary format..
Basically, all data is the same, but it's more compact...
BTW, in7ane already has a tool to import google's directions to PSP

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 04:39

If you use global map's coordinates to get local maps - your original coordinates will not be in the center of your acquired local map in most of the cases, since the program rounds up the initial coordinates to the nearest tile at the highest zoom requested...
I am not sure if this is what you expereinced, but if it is - try using visual tool by in7ane to get maps...- it's more intuitive and you'll see exactly what get before you commit to long download...

I did not quite understand which led you are talking about... from what I see, the wifi seems to shut off the serail port (as well as a disc in UMD drive) whenever the wifi module is loaded..
In anycase, adding more parts to the cable DIY scheme will probably scare away most of the users ;-)

Of course, I am aware of the problems with fat... but this is the only solution that was fast and robust enough given the timeframe I had..- I wanted to showcase the first version at NEO FLASH coding contest... (I did threw in the zip support, but it only works well for relatively small maps.. at some point the look up inside the zip file takes just too much time...
If you want to contribute to this project and capable of porting existing or creating a custom virtual file system, please let me know..

lewbacca
September 12th, 2006, 14:18
Hey Lewbacca, was wondering what happened to you! Glad to see you are up & running now with gps.
i am very impressed on how far the program got. i still have much left to read...

i have some problems with the gps device.. but i hope to get them fixed soon..

at first fix it takes forever and u mustnt touch the housing as it fixes your position..
and then if i get data from the device the coordinates are jumping up and down... its not the cable since i determined that its jumping using bluetooth function..

i think there may be some interfering sources around... going to examine that later on.

thank you for your welcoming words ;)

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 14:48
it helps if you don't move the device while it tries to aquire the satellites... it usually get's the fix withing 35-40 seconds, if you don't move it and the sky is clear..
Sometimes, in bad weather or in downtown with lot's of skyscrappers it does start to jump the location +- 30 meters.. I guess it's because of the interference and signal reflection...
Then again, if it happens alot for you, maybe you need to change the device or try to get the external antenna..

lewbacca
September 12th, 2006, 17:49
if it was just not to move the gps... i can't even hold it in my hands while getting a fix...

but ok.. it's not that bad to put it somewhere the first minute..

jimmy7
September 12th, 2006, 19:27
If you use global map's coordinates to get local maps - your original coordinates will not be in the center of your acquired local map in most of the cases, since the program rounds up the initial coordinates to the nearest tile at the highest zoom requested...
I am not sure if this is what you expereinced, but if it is - try using visual tool by in7ane to get maps...- it's more intuitive and you'll see exactly what get before you commit to long download...

I did not quite understand which led you are talking about... from what I see, the wifi seems to shut off the serail port (as well as a disc in UMD drive) whenever the wifi module is loaded..
In anycase, adding more parts to the cable DIY scheme will probably scare away most of the users ;-)

Of course, I am aware of the problems with fat... but this is the only solution that was fast and robust enough given the timeframe I had..- I wanted to showcase the first version at NEO FLASH coding contest... (I did threw in the zip support, but it only works well for relatively small maps.. at some point the look up inside the zip file takes just too much time...
If you want to contribute to this project and capable of porting existing or creating a custom virtual file system, please let me know..

Deniska, I've send you an email and yes I am willing to contribute. Also I ask tyranid whether the serial port AND wlan can be used at the same time. The answer is yes. For the gps coordinates, I think you should always display the correct gps coordinates and only internally do the rounding to the nearest tile. For the filesystem I have much simpler (and faster) ideas, but more in private mail.

j7

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 19:55
Hello,

I'm also interested in contributing to this project. For that reason, I've taken some time to browse the source code. My immediate concern is knowing how to set the right settings for my 4800 baud GPS. I'm aware of a BAUD=x setting and a READTIME=x setting in the config file.

So I went browsing in the source to find out how those are used. I was confused by something. The 'baud' setting is currently set only if SDL_SOUND is defined; otherwise, the baud rate is not set as far as I can see (this is in the v02 unpatched sources).

I noted that the readtime variable is used to control a loop.

My question: is it intentional not to set the baud rate when SDL_SOUND is undefined? If so, why? Couldn't this cause problems with devices running at arbitrary baud rates?

Thank you,

~0

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 20:20
Jimmy7,

Hmm, I did not get any emails.. perhaps you used invalid address or your adress got filtered for some reason... try to PM me @ DCEMU or PS2DEV forums...

About the coordinates - perhaps we were talking about different issues... I checked the map coordinates at zoom 15 against google maps at the same zoom - they seem to be the same... so maybe you could clarify how you get the .5 degree deviation..

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 20:36
Hello,

I'm also interested in contributing to this project. For that reason, I've taken some time to browse the source code. My immediate concern is knowing how to set the right settings for my 4800 baud GPS. I'm aware of a BAUD=x setting and a READTIME=x setting in the config file.

So I went browsing in the source to find out how those are used. I was confused by something. The 'baud' setting is currently set only if SDL_SOUND is defined; otherwise, the baud rate is not set as far as I can see (this is in the v02 unpatched sources).

I noted that the readtime variable is used to control a loop.

My question: is it intentional not to set the baud rate when SDL_SOUND is undefined? If so, why? Couldn't this cause problems with devices running at arbitrary baud rates?

Thank you,

~0

SDL_SOUND was put in before the GPS functions...
For some reason it does not work in kernel mode and GPS would not function in user mode.. so I used SDL_SOUND as a switch... I did not care about the sound so much, since it needs to be shut off in order for GPS to function (plug in to power the serial port)
So don't set the SDL_SOUND if you need the GPS functionality...
I don't think this would be your problem if you uses my original EBOOTS...

deanspeed
September 12th, 2006, 22:38
is there a tutorial on loading waypoints/poi onto psp from in7ane's windows program, I'm not sure how to.

ZeroAltitude
September 12th, 2006, 22:40
Hi Deniska,

I apologize I was not clear in my earlier post. Let me try one more time.

I have a 4800 baud GPS. In MapThis, there is nowhere where you call setBaud() anymore -- the only place in there is inside an ifdef for SDL_SOUND.

Are you saying that in your latest release, the setBaud() call *is* being made, but not inside an ifdef? Do you have any pointers as to the appropriate setting for READTIME for a 4800 baud GPS?

Again, thanks in advance. I find the code fairly easy to learn, so if you have any place where you're maintaining a buglist or something where I could take a look and offer some patches for your approval, I'd be delighted.

~0

deniska
September 12th, 2006, 22:58
It's ifNdef ;-)
i.e if SDL_SOUND is not defined then you set the baud...
Image * cursor, *blank, *scale, *zoomscale, *arrows, *compass;
#ifndef SDL_SOUND
pspDebugSioInit();
pspDebugSioSetBaud(baud);
pspSdkLoadInetModules();
#endif

jimmy7
September 13th, 2006, 01:10
Jimmy7,

Hmm, I did not get any emails.. perhaps you used invalid address or your adress got filtered for some reason... try to PM me @ DCEMU or PS2DEV forums...

About the coordinates - perhaps we were talking about different issues... I checked the map coordinates at zoom 15 against google maps at the same zoom - they seem to be the same... so maybe you could clarify how you get the .5 degree deviation..

For some reason I cannot send you a private message (forbidden?!). So I sent an email to the teamjak dot net domain. If that does not work out maybe you can contact me privately. Regarding the zoom: here the gps coordinates change depending on the zoom level... and it is really a 0.5 degrees change in LAT ...

ZeroAltitude
September 13th, 2006, 01:31
Ack whoops, my bad. Trying tonight with settings 4 - 8 for READTIME with Sept 8 expanded buffer distro.

~0

ZeroAltitude
September 13th, 2006, 06:00
Many apologies for the long post.

Hello,

Thank you for bearing with me. I feel like I'm almost there. With READTIME set to 8, here is what happens in MapThis:

* I get the correct number of satellites
* I get the time
* Where it says the data status, I get DATA: BAD
* In local maps of my home town, I get occasional messages that the location is out of range
* When I switch to the global map to see what location it might be, it's 0.0000 lat -0.50000 long or something very similar (an obvious data error)

Now, mind you, in greenscreen, I get reasonably accurate listings of my latitude and longitude (I see the sentences with the data from my Garmin, and the numbers above reflect them fairly closely).

My questions:

* how can I provide you with any data you might need to figure out this problem?
* could this old GPS be using an incompatible NMEA sentence format? (I would have assumed that if the problem were this, then greenscreen would also fail to parse these sentences...)

A puzzling thing I've noticed -- in Deniska's original greenscreen photo from early on, the data listed in the NMEA sentences for lat. and long. appear to be ever so slightly different from what's displayed above in lat. and long. (to be specific:

from http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035

from upper portion: lat: 40.169..., long: -73.970...

from NMEA sentences: $GPRMC,034123.000,A,4037.1983,07538.2213...

Note the last two sentence numbers look uncannily similar to the Lat. and Long. -- I don't know the NMEA spec well, but I was just curious about how to iinterpret these numbers. In particular, I noticed on my Garmin it would say e.g. lat 42.00 etc., and in the NMEA sentence in the bottom of greenscreen, it would have numbers that were *just like* 42.00 etc., while similar to Deniska's screenshot, the upper numbers were slightly different. Just curious as to how that all works.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to using MapThis. I'm sorry this message is so long. I'm just trying to provide as much info as I can.

~0

Xern
September 13th, 2006, 10:52
Hi folks, it's me again. My results from the newest beta:

Readtime 1:
Nothing

Readime 2:
Almost works. When I hit [] it waits for 1 second, then it moves from where I am now (south norway) to the top of norway in 0.5 seconds, and it locks on my correct position. After that, it updates with the (possible correct) position each 50 second. Also, everything in the program updates every 2 seconds.

deanspeed
September 13th, 2006, 14:45
http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/naigation.jpg

how do you get that line to show up? all i see are squares on every turn, but i dont get that red line.

deniska
September 13th, 2006, 18:02
in7ane's tool has an option to configure the total number of way points. In my example, it's just so many of them that they touch eachother, creating a line.. I'll try to work out a better solution in future releases...

deniska
September 13th, 2006, 18:05
Hi folks, it's me again. My results from the newest beta:

Readtime 1:
Nothing

Readime 2:
Almost works. When I hit [] it waits for 1 second, then it moves from where I am now (south norway) to the top of norway in 0.5 seconds, and it locks on my correct position. After that, it updates with the (possible correct) position each 50 second. Also, everything in the program updates every 2 seconds.
have you tried 8 as readtime setting?
it looks like the rogram does not have enough time to read complete sentence most of the time..

deniska
September 13th, 2006, 18:21
For some reason I cannot send you a private message (forbidden?!). So I sent an email to the teamjak dot net domain. If that does not work out maybe you can contact me privately. Regarding the zoom: here the gps coordinates change depending on the zoom level... and it is really a 0.5 degrees change in LAT ...
Sorry, I lost my login to teamjack mail server...

try sending it to televny AT yahoo DOT com or MP me @ ps2dev forums...
It looks like you don't have enough posts to send/receive PMs here at DCEMU :-(

Perhaps, the problem that you see is due to approximations that I make, working with google tiles..
Basically, to calculate the lat/lon position of any point inside 256x256pixel tile I find out the top left corner lat/lon coordinate and the lat/lon difference for that tile's span. I assume that the lat/lon values for each pixel on the tile would change proportionally, i.e I divide the lat/lon range by 256 and multiply by the current pixel offset within that tile... I guess this may give you a significant error at very distant zoom levels. It seems to work great at street/city levels though...where you precise coordinates really matter...
Feel free to look thru the code and make adjustments if you have a better solution...

deanspeed
September 13th, 2006, 20:44
in7ane's tool has an option to configure the total number of way points. In my example, it's just so many of them that they touch eachother, creating a line.. I'll try to work out a better solution in future releases...

when i do that and try to load the waypoint it crashes. what setting are you using?

EDIT: maybe its because i was using an old map, i will try a new map and see if that works.

ZeroAltitude
September 14th, 2006, 02:31
Hi there Deniska,

I've been reading gpsGetMessage() and its kin for a while, and I have an experimental code change I am planning to make to see if I can make it less fragile for arbitrarily slower GPS units.

In the past, you have released your source code to MapThis. I don't know whether you intend to do so with every version. If you do, I was wondering whether you'd be willing to share your latest sources. If not, I'll just make my patches against your V02, and see how it works out.

Thank you!

~0

deniska
September 14th, 2006, 18:20
Use V02 code for now... I'll import your changes to getGPSMessage() if you succeed in making it better..

GIS
September 15th, 2006, 23:20
Thanks for Map This!, great job, Deniska, it works great, It is up and running whit Holux GPSlim236

crazy111
January 16th, 2007, 03:53
Here is a little update for beta testers with following new features:
- basic trip details: timer, distance, avg speed
- multiple icons (up to 10) support for POIs:
each POI file can contain up to 10 different poi icons (see below)
- removed icon size definition (the size if read from the image itself, this should be backwards compatible with prev definition though...
POI definition example:
!IMAGE:banks.png,
43.269348,-82.531088,Eastern Michigan Bank,(810) 359-5353 - 5446 Main St; Lexington; MI,
43.266922,-82.530929,Citizens First Savings Bank,(810) 359-7947 - 5536 Main St; Lexington; MI,
43.275666,-82.619585,Eastern Michigan Bank,(810) 679-2001 - Croswell; MI,
!IMAGE:food.png,
42.976435,-83.058008,Linda\'s Country Store,(810) 798-3748 - 3070 Van Dyke Rd; Almont; MI,
42.928440,-83.050100,Mc Donald\'s,(810) 798-2124 - 894 N Van Dyke Rd; Almont; MI,

- speed up in menu responses
- some new parameters in config file:
# THIS VARIABLE IS INTRODUCED TO SMOOTH #
# THE MAP MOVEMENT BETWEEN GPS UPDATES #
# IE THE MAP WILL CONTINUE MOVEMENT IN #
# THE SAME DIRECTION WITH A SLIGHT #
# DECREASE OF SPEED FOR EACH NEXT #
# FRAME RENDERING #
SPEEDFACTOR=0.97
## LOAD WIFI MODULE ##
LOADWIFI=0

- NMEA buffer increased to 1024 - this may help some GPS devices
- map size bug fixed. Now it should support maps up to 1024x1024

The zip only contains 1.5FW version...

[EDIT] Just added basic "DISTANCE TO MARK" support. (v02b_EBOOT.zip (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=9915&stc=1&d=1157741901))
You can set the mark with LEFT TRIGGER.
When in GPS mode it will show the distance to the mark in either miles or KM (based on your SPEEDFIX var)
I know in7ane wanted the arrow too.. perhaps someone could create frames for it ( 128x16) since my photoshop just stopped working... Once I have the graphics - I'll add it..

Dear Deniska:
Where should I put the vo2b_EBOOT, do I put it in mapviewer to replace the original one or do I put in mapviewer% to replace the orginal one, if not, how can I use the vo2b_EBOOT. Thank you very much.

deniska
January 19th, 2007, 02:56
just do a clean install of version 0.4