PDA

View Full Version : the main diffrence between roms and isos

andrew24
August 29th, 2006, 21:37
What people on ebay are selling its illegal ISO files. I just checked and theres a bunch of a holes doing it. Hope Sony rips there balls out. I really don't care what people play but when they try to profit thats not right.

hey ive heard all this crap about isos but its time to get a few things strait.

1. isos are illegaly downloaded games right?
2. roms are the same freaken thing.
3. but u people insist that roms are accually good.

but the fact is that roms are illegaly downloaded games to. but no that doesent matter because u use roms for the eloader.

THERE IS NO DIFFRENCE!

No i dont use iso's. accually i think that it should all be stoped.

Also i have nothing against acid burn.
________
Honda A engine specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_A_engine)

Accordion
August 29th, 2006, 21:43
this site, and most of its members dont condone piracy of any kind.
there is no advocation of "Roms" in particular to ISOs. though the site is more strict against piracy of the supported console(the same applys to all of the DCEMU network)

John Vattic
August 29th, 2006, 22:06
Yeah i feel the same when scumbags at my job take credit for the work i've done. I want to beat the hell out of them.
And without me they would have nothing to take the credit for.
Then, of course, they get the promotion.
I really hate opportunists.

stotheamuel
August 29th, 2006, 23:02
this site, and most of its members dont condone piracy of any kind.
there is no advocation of "Roms" in particular to ISOs. though the site is more strict against piracy of the supported console(the same applys to all of the DCEMU network)

Riiiight... illegal downloading of roms... is much much more slacked upon here

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33864

s1k0
August 29th, 2006, 23:04
iso are illegal i think roms are too

Darksaviour69
August 30th, 2006, 00:05
iso and are not illegal... the same way a kettle is not illegal, but a stolen kettle is illegal...

iso and roms are the same thing, data files. Roms are cart based systems iso's are discs.

i would be just as pissed of at some selling disc full of roms, which they don't own the copyright too, as much as someone doing the same with iso's

andrew24
August 30th, 2006, 00:10
they are illegal. r u about to go to sony and say. "hey i have an iso". i think they would care
________
CBF series (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CBF_series)

Hawky05
August 30th, 2006, 00:37
what if it were an ISO of an xbox game.. would they care then O_o

and ISO's and ROM's aren't exactly illegal.. whats illegal is distributing them and downloading them.

but it happens so get over it... it's not like half of you guys can do much about it so why moan?

I don't see how it can affect any of you aswell... unless your a game developer or work for a gaming company... but if that was the case.. why would you be ranting about it on a forum?

rdetagle
August 30th, 2006, 00:50
isos and roms are both not illegal, so long as you own the game. the iso/rom is then a BACKUP of the game you own. it's the same with CDs, you're supposed to be allowed to burn a backup copy so long as u own it.

DefaultGen
August 30th, 2006, 02:45
ISOs are disc images Roms are images of a cartridge based game.

Either way possession of either is very likely illegal as many games state on their info screen that back ups even for archivical purposes are forbidden.

andrew24
August 30th, 2006, 02:52
and i bet all the people downloading roms are doing it without owning the game
________
hotbox vaporizers (http://www.vaporshop.com/hotbox-vaporizer.html)

deediare
August 30th, 2006, 03:10
What is the big discussion about?

Its simple:

ROMS older than GBA roms are NOT illegal owning even if you DON'T own the game, this is because of void in contract since the games are not sold in mass production any longer.

GBA games on the other hand are not illegal providing that you OWN the game catridge otherwise it IS stealing and then it makes it illegal.

PSP Iso's same thing as GBA but a little worse

andrew24
August 30th, 2006, 03:14
yea ok. so ill walk up to sony and say. " sony yea i have a 1.5 psp and i was wondering is it illegal to download roms from the internet and putting them in my emulater?" yea i dont think so. theyd probably hall my a** to jail.
________
Honda That's (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_That's)

deediare
August 30th, 2006, 03:16
yea ok. so ill walk up to sony and say. " sony yea i have a 1.5 psp and i was wondering is it illegal to download roms from the internet and putting them in my emulater?" yea i dont think so. theyd probably hall my a** to jail.

Sigh... ...Yeah they would haul your A** to jail if you WERE SELLING THEM. We are talking own personal use here (i.e. back-up)

Kaiser
August 30th, 2006, 04:11
Its simple:

ROMS older than GBA roms are NOT illegal owning even if you DON'T own the game, this is because of void in contract since the games are not sold in mass production any longer.

Um..... no thats incorrect its still illegal unless the company decides to release it again as freeware. Copyrights and trademarks don't go away that easy.

]
GBA games on the other hand are not illegal providing that you OWN the game catridge otherwise it IS stealing and then it makes it illegal.

Sort of.

I own Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis but if I went to a warez site and downloaded it I'd still be breaking the law. The back-up must be your own legitimate copy that you your self copied from your cart.

deediare
August 30th, 2006, 04:20
Um..... no thats incorrect its still illegal unless the company decides to release it again as freeware. Copyrights and trademarks don't go away that easy.

Sort of.

I own Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis but if I went to a warez site and downloaded it I'd still be breaking the law. The back-up must be your own legitimate copy that you your self copied from your cart.

Yeah well...you see if I had the technology to do that I happily would but I don't and I probably never will.

And as for copyrights and trademarks...uhhh no duh there not going away...I'm not gonna download Super Mario Bros. and SELL it as Super Milkman Bros. or anything of the like...

M!ckeY
August 30th, 2006, 04:37
who cares roms are need for your emulator anyways and i bet most of you guys download them like crazy, i know i do :)

pibs
August 30th, 2006, 04:44
Hey this site i believe is for developing purposes only.
If it were for pirate things they would have all those horrible pop ups and telling you to vote and such.
no where in this site does it tell you to go to a link for backup games.

I dont need backups because i have blockbuster ;D
just switch my broken game with theirs and complain to them hahaha "I am not a crook"

ACID
August 30th, 2006, 04:56
they are illegal. r u about to go to sony and say. "hey i have an iso". i think they would care
If you own the actually game and are not selling copies of it you can do what ever you want with them. You are telling me that i cant use mi MVS cartridge of metal slug as a ROM. If it gets mest up i loose 1000 usd. You heard right 1000 usd. Thats how much it is worth and I'm not going to risk loosing it and SNK & NEOGEO will not replace it right. Its mine so i can do what ever i want with it.

O by the way nice touch trying to make me look bad by opening this thread with quoting me. Be original next time.:mad:

stotheamuel
August 30th, 2006, 04:57
he didnt really make you look bad.. and he just showed how everyone hates isos.. and overlook roms... he even said he had nothing against you

ACID
August 30th, 2006, 05:21
Its not the point i know what he says i really mean it makes me look like the bad guy with what i stated. And i stand by it i don't care what people do with any illegal activity's they might choose , its none of mi business. I do care about what is said here i love this web site and don't want to see it shut down because of peoples stupidities. I have nothing wrong against andrew24 and i understand what he means. But for all the **** faces that are trying to profit from roms and isos i do. They are the reason that all this company's hate the home brew communities in a way.

deediare
August 30th, 2006, 05:32
Its not the point i know what he says i really mean it makes me look like the bad guy with what i stated. And i stand by it i don't care what people do with any illegal activity's they might choose , its none of mi business. I do care about what is said here i love this web site and don't want to see it shut down because of peoples stupidities. I have nothing wrong against andrew24 and i understand what he means. But for all the **** faces that are trying to profit from roms and isos i do. They are the reason that all this company's hate the home brew communities in a way.

Exactly I can't stand people who ACTUALLY make money from selling isos and roms. Because that's just low...who said it's theirs to profit....

ACID
August 30th, 2006, 05:36
Thank you deardiary LOL sorry man had to do it. But thanks deediare for backing me on this.

deediare
August 30th, 2006, 05:37
Thank you deardiary LOL sorry man had to do it. But thanks deediare for backing me on this.

LOL I would've never thought of that, even notice that.

Nice one :D

DefaultGen
August 30th, 2006, 06:36
and i bet all the people downloading roms are doing it without owning the game

I find some of the anti-piracy measures taken my DCEmu rather odd. When the CPS2 emu came out everyone was cheering, but remember everyone, only download the roms of the arcade machines you actually own.

DefaultGen
August 30th, 2006, 06:38

Sort of.

Horray, intelligence!

donne
August 30th, 2006, 10:56
Here we go again.. :D

Darksaviour69
August 30th, 2006, 11:30
I find some of the anti-piracy measures taken my DCEmu rather odd. When the CPS2 emu came out everyone was cheering, but remember everyone, only download the roms of the arcade machines you actually own.

look we are not the police, we just want to stay legal, so we don't allow/provide info on how to download roms/iso, there are 1000s of sites that do that.

We also don't allow info/ guides on how to back up you own stuff, while this is legal in many countries, we don't want that sort of talk in our forums as it would attract more rom/iso beggers. We tell you that you can legaly back up your stuff, and search google if you want to know how... thats it

edit: moved to off topic

edit2: GRRRR

motz
August 30th, 2006, 12:21
they are illegal. r u about to go to sony and say. "hey i have an iso". i think they would care They're not illegal if you own the game and ripped them yourself.
:):(:confused::mad::p;):D:o:rolleyes::cool::eek:

Darksaviour69
August 30th, 2006, 12:28
They're not illegal if you own the game and ripped them yourself.
:):(:confused::mad::p;):D:o:rolleyes::cool::eek:

.... depending where you live, in the rep of Ireland it is not legal to back up any of you stuff, including music, e.g. mp3 are techincally illegal... not that the Gardai care or would arrest anyone over it.. its just a loop hole in the law

motz
August 30th, 2006, 13:08
.... depending where you live, in the rep of Ireland it is not legal to back up any of you stuff, including music, e.g. mp3 are techincally illegal... not that the Gardai care or would arrest anyone over it.. its just a loop hole in the law
I never knew that, thats a very strange law. That means its illegal to copy music from a CD onto your PSP. :rolleyes:

At least its not enforced though or else the south of ireland would have some major issues on the entertainment side of things lol. :D

Darksaviour69
August 30th, 2006, 13:50
they might have changed the law now, i just remember reading about it in the paper about hoiw U2 want you to break the law, (they were in the ipod adds) ;)

SSaxdude
August 30th, 2006, 21:45
I know the answer to this thread: they both rock!

AtariFreek
August 30th, 2006, 22:17
Ok, first Of All, If You Dont Own The Actuall game, ISOs AND ROMS Are Illegal. If You Back Up You Legit Games and Don't Distribute The ROMS/ISOs It Is LEGAL. You Just Cant Sell/Redistribute. Just Like Music, You Can Buy CDs, But You Cant Sell Them Back Out As MP3's.

andrew24
August 31st, 2006, 21:26
If you own the actually game and are not selling copies of it you can do what ever you want with them. You are telling me that i cant use mi MVS cartridge of metal slug as a ROM. If it gets mest up i loose 1000 usd. You heard right 1000 usd. Thats how much it is worth and I'm not going to risk loosing it and SNK & NEOGEO will not replace it right. Its mine so i can do what ever i want with it.

O by the way nice touch trying to make me look bad by opening this thread with quoting me. Be original next time.:mad:

i did not try to make you look bad. im serious. you alwase help me. im sorry if it sounded like that. also i was just trying to find an example
________
Lamborghini V10 specifications (http://www.lamborghini-tech.com/wiki/Lamborghini_V10)

ßüboni¢ $oñic
September 6th, 2006, 10:18
for the guy who said they meant back ups of your game not any game that you also happen to own id say technically how can u destinguish when every game is the same. they are all copies of the original copy.

i think this bullshit all boils down to the eternal practice vs. principal battle. sure you can direct people towards google because then u can blame google. sure u can claim its justified since u own the game but most will not. ive been burned, churned, and screwed by sega but i still am and always will be opposed to all this rom/iso freedom movement. and u call a SNES game on a disk a true SNES game? you make me sick. when you find a way to hook an snes game into the serial port maybe ill recognize it but these games were never meant for a cd format. reminds me of this chinese bitch at the flea market and her Hong Kong goodies, ya kno what i mean..