PDA

View Full Version : Game Boy system still hanging in

wraggster
August 31st, 2006, 02:03
We are in the golden age of portable video games. Nintendo’s DS Lite keeps delivering innovative new software, attracting an audience that didn’t previously have much interest in games. Sony’s PlayStation Portable has stumbled, but it’s still a solid alternative for players who want handheld versions of their favorite console games. And sooner or later, Microsoft is bound to come out with a portable Xbox.

Add in all the games that are available for cell phones and personal digital assistants, and you never have an excuse to be bored while waiting in line at the DMV. And we haven’t even mentioned the granddaddy of handheld game devices: Nintendo’s Game Boy.

Seventeen years after its introduction, the Game Boy is still hanging in there. Sure, it’s been through a lot of changes, as the chunky, black-and-white original has slimmed down into the credit-card-sized, color Game Boy Micro. But it’s outlasted three generations of home consoles and helped keep Nintendo afloat even as the company’s GameCube struggled.

Via MSN (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14589888/)

Video_freak
August 31st, 2006, 02:20
The Game Boy was awesome! I own every single one (up to GBA SP) :D

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 02:25
even a pocket?

Video_freak
August 31st, 2006, 02:26
Yup! Original (brand new, unused, see through clear), pocket, color, advance, and sp (ds doesnt count.. :o)

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 02:29
how about FrierTucks offical non existent 3rd party Game Boy, the Game Boy lumber, comeing in Solid Oak, Teak, Mahogany, maple, and for all you poor people, ply wood, comething never to a theater near you, but seriously, wasnt there some CD gameboy or something, maybe im remeber some whack dream idk

Junixx
August 31st, 2006, 02:50
I've always loved the gameboy, but the first one i even actually owned myself was the GBA SP, which was freaking awsome....

Video_freak
August 31st, 2006, 02:52
I don't ever remember a CD Gameboy FrierTuck...
Nintendo just started using CDs with the Gamecube. :rolleyes:

Junixx
August 31st, 2006, 03:07
Either you had a whack dream or your thinking of the Sega-CD

stotheamuel
August 31st, 2006, 03:15
u haven't had a micro... video freak.. :P

Shadowblind
August 31st, 2006, 03:18
Gameboy. The original handheld console, start of a VG revolution. The original is the one I still play pokemon red/blue on. And same here videofreak, I have all but micro :)

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 03:37
yah, your proably right, wack dream, oh well, i did a google search and it did reveal that there was a mod to connect an cd drive to your GB for use as a cd player

stotheamuel
August 31st, 2006, 04:39
Gameboy. The original handheld console, start of a VG revolution. The original is the one I still play pokemon red/blue on. And same here videofreak, I have all but micro :)

actually the first ones are the Micrvision and the Super Micro Cartridge System

razorak
August 31st, 2006, 04:42
let's see...
skipped gameboy got gameboy colour skipped GBA got GBA SP skip micro(still thinking about it)...what next?

i've skipped every alternating generation so far...lol

Vegetable
August 31st, 2006, 10:36
and helped keep Nintendo afloat even as the company’s GameCube struggled.

Uh, the Gamecube brought in more profits than the freakin' PS2. It didn't struggle at all.

radiator
August 31st, 2006, 12:34
Yup, nothing wrong with the Gameboy! I've owned all but the (Japan exlusive) Gameboy Lite.
Hell, I only just discovered Digidrive last night, and I'm loving it!!

Plus I've got shedloads of GBA games I still need to play (Minish Cap is next on my list).

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 19:10
Uh, the Gamecube brought in more profits than the freakin' PS2. It didn't struggle at all.

umm, the Cube only sold like 10 million units, the ps2 sold like 50 million at least, also, due to the back compatibility, people not only bought PS2 games they bought old good PS1 games

irondirgible
August 31st, 2006, 19:18
Yup, nothing wrong with the Gameboy! I've owned all but the (Japan exlusive) Gameboy Lite.

It's Gameboy "light" not "lite". The DS' "lite" version is smaller, wheras the Gameboy "Light" had a backlight (although it was smaller than the original Gameboy, that is not what "light" referred to)

radiator
August 31st, 2006, 19:44
It's Gameboy "light" not "lite". The DS' "lite" version is smaller, wheras the Gameboy "Light" had a backlight (although it was smaller than the original Gameboy, that is not what "light" referred to)
Alright, smart-arse! That's what I meant :p

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 19:50
GBA afterburn or w/e it was?

radiator
August 31st, 2006, 20:33
GBA afterburn or w/e it was?
What, the Gameboy Light?
Nope, was pretty much just a Gameboy Pocket with an EL backlight (gave off a strange green/blue glow).

http://www.retrogame-shop.com/shop/images/gblight.bmp

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 20:45
like old palm pilots lol, and anyways, i was thinking about the pre SP rumours lol

picketf
September 1st, 2006, 15:21
I would like t remember those who claim to have all Game Boys that before the Game Boy Pocket (monochrome) came out there was a LCD Backlight Gameboy that had a switch to turn on a blue glowing backlight. Actually very few units were sold outside Japan but since it was a bit smaller and lighter than the original GB I consider it to be better than GB Pocket even tough the screen wasn't resized yet. Now, you still have all Game Boys?

FrierTuck
September 1st, 2006, 16:44
gameboy radioactive?

Vegetable
September 2nd, 2006, 00:22
umm, the Cube only sold like 10 million units, the ps2 sold like 50 million at least, also, due to the back compatibility, people not only bought PS2 games they bought old good PS1 games

Hey ass, maybe you should do some research before correcting people. Nintendo made over $600 million more with the Gamecube than Sony did with the PS2.

http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEFylpkElFffmiBlr.php
http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEZuAypVuTuOJPzyb.php

lexluthor
September 2nd, 2006, 00:37
Hey ass, maybe you should do some research before correcting people. Nintendo made over $600 million more with the Gamecube than Sony did with the PS2.

http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEFylpkElFffmiBlr.php
http://nintendoinsider.com/site/EEEZuAypVuTuOJPzyb.php

Yeah but thats all down to manufacturing costs. There is no denying the fact that PS2 has dominated the console market since its release.

Its easier for Sony to make small profits over a huge franchise than it is for Nintendo. Sony are just such a giant company.

Shadowblind
September 2nd, 2006, 00:57
actually the first ones are the Micrvision and the Super Micro Cartridge System
and gamegear. I was talking the general revolution.

Vegetable
September 2nd, 2006, 13:38
Yeah but thats all down to manufacturing costs. There is no denying the fact that PS2 has dominated the console market since its release.

Its easier for Sony to make small profits over a huge franchise than it is for Nintendo. Sony are just such a giant company.

I'm not negating the success of the PS2. I'm merely stating that Nintendo made more of a profit than any other this generation.

FrierTuck
September 2nd, 2006, 23:57
whatever, they still sold more units, and dont mess with me right now, my psp is dead forever (or untill i get like 100 bucks)

lexluthor
September 3rd, 2006, 00:03
I'm not negating the success of the PS2. I'm merely stating that Nintendo made more of a profit than any other this generation.

Fair enough.. I agree with you (Cant argue with facts)