PDA

View Full Version : PSP : GPS and camera pricing announced!

happy_mak
August 31st, 2006, 10:26
The GPS and camera accessories for PSP have their details being spelled out on famitsu.com site

Camera - (Chotto-shot)
Launch date November 2
Price 5000 yen ($42USD )
Can take still JPEG shots and for video it is Motion-JPEG
Has only digital zoom
weighs 15g

GPS receiver :
Launch date December 7
Price 6000 yen ($50 USD)

What more one can edit the images taken by the camera on the PSP itself with various(?) effects as per the article

http://img488.imageshack.us/img488/3614/h10359318camerasetcomjpglm2.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6849/h10359318gpssetcomjpgqn6.jpg
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/9629/h10359318pspcameracomjpgsn7.jpg
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/5087/h10359318pspgpsjpgvn8.jpg

Source: famitsu.com (http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/08/31/103,1157007001,59318,0,0.html)

digg it (http://digg.com/hardware/PSP_GPS_and_Camera_pricing_announced)

IGN (http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/729/729652p1.html) updated with this news:

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has at last unveiled final details for its two upcoming PSP peripherals, both of which were first shown to the world back in April. Both the PSP camera and GPS Receiver will see Japanese release on 12/7, the company announced today.

The camera will be fully known in Japan as the "Chotto Shot." 5,000 yen will get you the camera and a case. The 15 gram device measures 45 by 27.3 by 17mm and fixes to the USB slot atop your PSP.
For still shots, the camera offers 1.31 megapixel of resolution, allowing for stills of either 480x272 or 640x480. The camera can take shots from distances of 40cm and up, or you can switch to macro mode for taking pictures from 7cm away. A digital zoom feature lets you zoom in on the scene before snapping away. Shots are saved in the JPEG format.

When taking movies, the camera is capable of 30fps video at 480x272 resolution, although you're limited to 15 seconds of footage at a time. Once you've taken a video, you can edit with 74 different effects. You can also add add background music, although the unit has has a monaural microphone capable of recording linear PCM directly. Footage can be viewed directly on the PSP, or you can convert it to AVI and transfer it to a PC through Memory Stick. The native format for the movies is Motion JPEG.

The GPS receiver is 16 grams and measures 45 by 41 by 17mm. It takes one second to refresh your current position, and has an accuracy of 5 meters. The 6,000 yen accessory includes a case.

While the GPS receiver will be sold by itself, you'll have to pair it up with a separately purchased piece of software in order to actually use it. Currently, four compatible titles have been announced for the peripheral, Sega's Homestar Portable planetarium software, Sony's own Minna no Golf Ba, Konami's Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and Edea's mysterious "Navigation Software." These titles will be on display at the Tokyo Game Show in late September.

Sony has yet to announce release details for the American versions of these peripherals.

BiddySlayer
August 31st, 2006, 14:21
After all that waiting they both look really cheap and poorly designed.

doggy
August 31st, 2006, 14:31
I think its look perfectly. I will buy its the first day its released in us(92USD for both!)

THUD
August 31st, 2006, 14:33
Blimey the camera looks like one of those cheap nasty ones you could buy about 5 years ago for a PDA....total rubbish...

But the GPS looks ok, hopefully its SIRF 3 and fast fix....

But I bet the maps will be soooo expensive

Nookadum
August 31st, 2006, 14:36
What? The camera looks pretty damn good considering the materials they used to make it. This goes for the GPS receiver as well...

QueadlunnRau
August 31st, 2006, 14:41
I think both should have been built in ...

thumpa
August 31st, 2006, 14:49
Do Anybody Know What
Firmware They Will Use

Baboon
August 31st, 2006, 15:00
I’m really not interested in the Fisher Price camera... but the GPS looks like it could be quite cool.

I was going to buy a sat nav kit for my car, so hopefully this will be the answer to my problems?

At only $50 (about £26) it seems quite reasonable, but I’m sure once it hits the UK the price will go right up with VAT etc.

I’ll defo keep an eye out for it though. :)

Baboon
August 31st, 2006, 15:00
Do Anybody Know What
Firmware They Will Use

By the time its out probably 2.8+ ...doh! :(

Lets hope Devhook sorts things out for us??

psp411
August 31st, 2006, 15:22
looks goood i guess... maybe the gps couldve been smaller but ill buy it

-LO-LEADER1
August 31st, 2006, 15:27
i think they look fine....at least they work. Thats all that really matters

splodger15
August 31st, 2006, 15:27
After all that waiting they both look really cheap and poorly designed.

true

yakumo
August 31st, 2006, 15:28
I think GPS should have come with some light pen extension or something to detect pointing on the screen to make it easier to navigate through maps and GPS software. For example: Imagine you have to write the name of a street and a town to go to. Writting all this stuff using the cursors is really boring, a real step back.

Mr. Shizzy
August 31st, 2006, 15:30
SONY is releasing it's 3.0 firmware in October. So 1.5 users shouldn't plan on being able to use these. (Anytime soon, anyway;) )

Baboon
August 31st, 2006, 15:59
SONY is releasing it's 3.0 firmware in October. So 1.5 users shouldn't plan on being able to use these. (Anytime soon, anyway;) )

Ahh, bugger. :mad:

Well I aint going to lose the benefits of my 1.5 just to have the ability of not getting lost in my car! lol

Anybody remember the fate of the Gizmondo? ...That handheld never got off the ground for various reasons (no marketing, some really shite games and no developers didnt really help).. and now all its good for is as a GPS sat nav device. lol

Lukeson
August 31st, 2006, 16:17
surprisingly cheap, me finds

Emeriastone
August 31st, 2006, 16:34
And these devices will require you to have--which fw version?

Mr. Shizzy
August 31st, 2006, 16:38
And these devices will require you to have--which fw version?

Their latest of course. Which by the time these come out will be 3.0:( (SONY Firmware 3.0 will be released in October)

Nikolaos
August 31st, 2006, 16:40
Wow, can't wait to test out the camera... my friends will be even more jelous of my PSP Muahahahahaah!

mnuhaily22
August 31st, 2006, 16:43
The Camera is 1.3 megapixels and the GPS is probably going to reguire a monthly pay and the latest firmware, in other words, both of them are lame.

alleyal202
August 31st, 2006, 17:08
I will be buying them with a new psp

Mr. Shizzy
August 31st, 2006, 17:32
Wow, can't wait to test out the camera... my friends will be even more jelous of my PSP Muahahahahaah!

LOL. Your sigs funny; but when you think about it it's kind of disturbing bro.:confused:

S34MU5
August 31st, 2006, 17:32
they both l@@k sweeeeet
but i think the novelty of the gps would wear of after a while, unless u used it frequently or wer a meg off road person. but the camera looks cool esecially if it can turn around(swivel)
woohhooo (unless you cant use it on 1.5 then :( )

fistikuffs
August 31st, 2006, 17:48
The GPS loks like a really cool app for the psp but who wants to hold up your psp every time you want to take a photo? Use your mobile or buy a cheap digital camera.

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 18:07
there is no excuse for a 1.3 mega pixel camera…
would it be possible to change the CCD…

and surely the homebrew devs will be able to use these devices in some way…

SweetFA
August 31st, 2006, 18:18
$50 for the GPS?

If they were priced £30 to £40 in the UK i'd get one but i'd not pay any more than that.

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 18:30
$50 for the GPS?

If they were priced £30 to £40 in the UK i'd get one but i'd not pay any more than that.

$50 is less than £30
just import…

NoQuarter
August 31st, 2006, 18:44
They could have at least designed these thing to match the overall appearence and design flow of the psp,these things are ugly.If the camera doesn't swivel around its not even worth having.
It's looks like a poor attempt at a chrome bumper or hood ornament.

SweetFA
August 31st, 2006, 19:01

$50 is less than £30
just import…
Never had a GPS, would i have to get UK maps seperately if i imported?
Customs tax & shipping would bump the price up too.

Russoxley187
August 31st, 2006, 19:18
that is pretty sweet...
I currently have the GPS proggy made by DANISKA. that rocks...
But i dont think that its a good place to put the antenna ontop of the GPS.
that would hinder you from tracking Satilites. I have XM Radio, And when I have the antenna in the Truck i have worse signal.
Take a look at this for Daniskas Setup.. Its a good App...
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30035

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 19:18
the price should be low enough to avoid customs tax… most sites also offer free shipping… all the software will be external from the actual unit so maps should be okay. i would epect to be able to download the maps as well. but "Mapthis" should work

ICE
August 31st, 2006, 19:35
$40 for a camera that uses like 1.3 megapixels? haha no thanks. a friggin cell phone takes higher quality pics than this thing.

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 19:56
not my cell phone, the v276 has a max res of like 640x480, and that pisses me off so bad, anyway, as long as the pics look good on the psp screen, ill get one

mag060790
August 31st, 2006, 20:07
is it true that the camera will only have a 15 sec recording time? that would be lame

M!ckeY
August 31st, 2006, 20:25
i thought these things would be more expensive

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 20:27
yay for cheap extras lol, well for this kinda thing, you shouldnt really need more then 15 seconds (i know im gonna have to eat my words) but its not like you'll be filming a movie version of the enitre bible with it, and plus it will proably be a minute lol

ICE
August 31st, 2006, 20:35
well since the standard is AT LEASTE 3 mega pixels nowadays it comes down to more or less how much of a psp fanboy are you. it would be pretty sweet to take pics with a psp and it will eventually be in my arsenal..... as soon as the price drops or possibly ebay.

FrierTuck
August 31st, 2006, 20:42
i dont know if 3 megapixles is all that magic, i mean, i use a 2 megapixile digitla camera, and its top resolution pics are as good as any home picutre taker will ever nead

Accordion
August 31st, 2006, 22:05
going from a 8 mega pixel cannon to this will burn my eyes…

but i am seriously considering trying to switch the CCD to a higher one…maybe 3 mega pixel at first

MaxSMoke
August 31st, 2006, 22:25
I can't imagine what good the camera will be, unless somebody HomeBrew's up some video conferencing software.

On the other hand, that GPS is going to be AWESOME! Just as soon as Homebrewer's get their code hooked up, we're going to have some SWEET GPS mapping technology, probably with maps that come freely downloaded from Google. It's going to be SO FREAK'N COOL!

The_It
August 31st, 2006, 22:31
both under 60 bucks?!! EEEEEEEY! i can afford that! i really hope it doesn't need firmware 2.80 or higher... will it?

The_It
August 31st, 2006, 22:33
do you think it would be possible to creat your on program that uses the gps unit? or camera?

blaz3d
August 31st, 2006, 22:43
do you think it would be possible to creat your on program that uses the gps unit? or camera?
Not untill the fimware required to use is explioted:p

**1_Man_Matrix**
August 31st, 2006, 23:30
1.3 mega pixel is disgusting. What a jip, my phone takes better pictures.

If it wasn't for the ingame use, I wouldn't bother getting one.
I think they both look cool though. I have the talkman mic aswell, I love the accessories.
Still, 1.3... That's so crappy.

mavsman4457
August 31st, 2006, 23:55
I will surely get this if I can have homebrew with it somehow. I am thinking of getting the modchip but it is just so dang expensive. Guess I'll just have to wait for some exploits.

Video_freak
September 1st, 2006, 01:20
That's cheap. If they somehow emulate the firmware the GPS unit uses (and I don't have to buy any software), then I'll get it! :eek:

stotheamuel
September 1st, 2006, 02:23
for all th FW questions

This will NEED a new firmware

2nd 1.3 isnt that bad.. its not wonderful at all. but it isnt horrible.. specialy since this is for games!!!

come on people... everyone bitches.. sony needs to think about the games blah blah blah

this is all u need for eye toy type games

mauro2029
September 1st, 2006, 03:06
I was hoping you could get a higher resolution with the psp cam... and only 15 sec video clips? That's lame, I hope some homebrew can override that and perhaps work with other codecs....

FrierTuck
September 1st, 2006, 03:40
hey, im in video freak's sig, COOL

Roache
September 1st, 2006, 03:50
This is leo mon, son of the fortune teller cleo.

let me predict the furture for sonys upcoming add-ons... i see... i see long line ups and happy faces... but wait no ones buying the psp camera or the gps, but buying more ds systems

damn you sony... you did it again a brilliant idea happered by no one thinking of what the masses want. is it that expensive for a 3mp cam now a days? ive bought keychain cameras with better quality...

$50, 73 different cusamization SWEET!!

15 seconds mono recording, 1.3mp, 640x480 res, motion jpeg ??? WTF SONY WTF...

gps, meh, i guess thats a good sales pitch. What they should have throw in is a sattilite radio reciver too, that woulda been cool.

psp is great for its first release but next time sony should have these things standard on the psp :mad:

wait im haveing a vision its... its bill gates laughing as he writes down where the psp went wrong and where the ds went right. :)

isnt there already a hombrew gps map hopfully it works with the new psp gps i also wish some dev will create a picture taking program with higher res and longer recording :D

lucidtraveller
September 1st, 2006, 05:31
seriously, this camera will be like the one for the gameboy "pocket" back in the day......cool for about 2 days then just sitting in bargain bins everywhere. maybe if they make games or a chat type of thing for it it would be useful but when a cellphone can have a camera that takes up absolutely no room this thing is huge. the 15 second limit should be easily bypassed once it is opened up by homebrew, that is just a software limitation i would think.
gps would be cool but like someone else said, typing in an address would be a step back from what people are used to.

donne
September 1st, 2006, 08:30
I can make use of that GPS.. I tended to be lost easily.. Wait.. Now I can take picture where I'm lost..

"Son.. this is the place where I met your mother.."
"Where was it 'pa ?"
"I don't have a clue.. But it's on xxdeg and xxxmin.."

Whoaa.. I'll get one if it doesn't include upgrading my fw..

benh
September 1st, 2006, 12:07
Im definatly getting them both, Iv been waiting for these, but it would have been good if the camera was bulit in and also if a gps reciver was bulit in now that would be cool