PDA

View Full Version : Neoflash Summer Coding Comp 2006 Results are in :)

wraggster
September 3rd, 2006, 14:06
Our great affiliates over at Neoflash (http://www.neoflash.com/) have posted the results of what has been the best PSP and DS Coding Competition ever (hopefully DCGP 2006 will be half as good), heres the results:

PSP Games
1 - R-Gear - shazz
2 - The Stroke of Link - Yodajr
3 - TrigWars - 71M
3 - ThrottleX - AnonymousTipster
4 - Droplets - drakonite
5 - luminex - pointbat
6 - DYOX - ColdPie
7 - Escape - taichi1082
8 - Arc Angel - Remi59
9 - Sandbox - psmonkey
10 - Reactor - Kagato

PSP Apps
1 - MapThis! - deniska
2 - iR Shell - AhMan
3 - MMSPlus - Brunni
4 - RemaPSP - danzel
5 - Guitar Tuner - PSPZion
6 - Screen Repair Set - saulotmalo
7 - EI0 Map editor - smealum
8 - Funky Demo - Raphael
9 - You might be a... - Sektor
10 - Click Click Machine - miNi

Congrats to Everyone involved, as you know all entries can be downloaded at PSP News, a special congrats to our hosted Coders and PSP Coders who have released some excellent software for the Scene. A Massive congrats to our Deniska for winning the App comp and to Shazz (another member/DCEmu Coder) for winning the Game Comp.

A great day for the Homebrew scene :)

Do you agree with the findings of the Judges, then let us know ;)

S34MU5
September 3rd, 2006, 14:12
amazin i wanted irshell to be first. map this is to hard to get your own maps on it

Zion
September 3rd, 2006, 14:14
Great :D I came in 5th :p

Im happy! :D

wraggster
yeah im glad i wasnt judging

sandbox got a lower rank than i expected

wraggster
congrats :)

Zion
September 3rd, 2006, 14:22
Thanks :D I thought sansbox deserved a higher place too......

jak66
September 3rd, 2006, 14:32
to be honest i thought irshell would win apps and throttlex or sandbox would win game

were trigwars and trottlex joint 3rd, or is that a typo

well done zion, but why does it say your name is PSPzion:confused:

Zion
September 3rd, 2006, 14:37
lol, it was called Guitar-Tuner PSP.

they forgot to put a space inbetween psp and zion

lmao

PSPKOR
September 3rd, 2006, 15:04
Sandbox and TrottleX are both lower than I thought. R-Gear was good but nothing original, as there are already a lot of side scrolling shooter out there for the PSP, so I dont think it should have got first.

PSmonkey
September 3rd, 2006, 15:10
bull F*ing crap.

Throttle X deserves first. Also 9th on sandbox? Bah.

Should have entered the pspupdates compo insted. Next year someone just make an r-type clone again and your sure to win.

-- f*k doing something original, just copy some other game & you win!! --

Kramer
September 3rd, 2006, 15:12
Congratulations to deniska.
Sandbox definetly deserved at least 4th or 5th because Psmonkey's idea was original.

EDIT: lol just posted this as monkey said something about being original.

beastie
September 3rd, 2006, 15:58
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) R-GEAR rightfully 1st:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
When we gonna see a full version?

Malksta
September 3rd, 2006, 16:31
To be honest, the jugde's are shit

deniska
September 3rd, 2006, 16:42
Thank you, guys!
This is such a surprize for me...
Up until the last moment I thought I would lose to IrShell (for which I personally voted) in PSP App category. Great work, AhMan, Danzel, Brunni and all other PSP App devs!

Congratulations to all participants.. and.. can't wait for the next compo :-) !!!

JD/
September 3rd, 2006, 17:03
dang i thought stroke of link would win and sandbox 9th they need to get theyre judging straight lol

wraggster
September 3rd, 2006, 17:12
/me nudges deniska

Dream Coding Grand Prix 2006 ;)

porchemasi
September 3rd, 2006, 17:32
Why doesnt Daedalus or gpSP submit there work? Im sure they would win hands down.

PSmonkey
September 3rd, 2006, 17:59
Wow. I saw how they scored things now. This compo is totaly full of shit. I wont take the shit prize they gave me.

Also neo must be a stupid **** because he is the only person who could not seem to get Sandbox running.

Not to mention another judge scored throttleX twice. They gave 9 points to the guy who cheated the polls. God what a bullshit compo.

ThrottleX should have been 1st.

Malksta
September 3rd, 2006, 18:03
Wow. I saw how they scored things now. This compo is totaly full of shit. I wont take the shit prize they gave me.

Also neo must be a stupid **** because he is the only person who could not seem to get Sandbox running.

Not to mention another judge scored throttleX twice. They gave 9 points to the guy who cheated the polls. God what a bullshit compo.

ThrottleX should have been 1st.

So true

Produkt
September 3rd, 2006, 18:06
same here throttle was the best game amongst them all

some one also knocked off the originality factor from the rules, deniska, your entry was nice, I just didnt think it had the fullness of Throttle sandbox also offered more to gameplay

I've never been one who enjoyed the reincarnation.

you dont keep bringing games back to life you make new ones originality is what games lack these days, PSMonkey and Anonymous Tipster had something original and they deserved more for that

dejkirkby
September 3rd, 2006, 18:07
Damn you is a mad monkey!! But, 9th place is total BS. Top 3 minimum.

PSmonkey
September 3rd, 2006, 18:14
Damn you is a mad monkey!! But, 9th place is total BS. Top 3 minimum.

Truthfuly I am more upset at their piss poor scoring then my final place nor that we can post in the results topic to voice our opinion.

I'm also a little pist wraggster is gonna sit around and not bitch about this either.

PSPdemon
September 3rd, 2006, 18:24
i agree with the people that dont like the results with the neo coding compo....

Throttle X or Sandbox should have placed 1st/2nd... They are completely ORIGINAL! plus, Throttle X has alot of really nice feature's in it ( online, map maker, DOWNLOAD LEVELS ONTO THE PSP!!! )

the app section was....im my mind.....was fair....because map this is a amazing achievement.

also, how did escape get higher than sandbox??? it riged its votes.....why not disqualify it!?!?!

truely, this was not a fair compo.....game section that is...

hopefully dcgp 2006 will be better :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

deniska
September 3rd, 2006, 19:32
same here throttle was the best game amongst them all

some one also knocked off the originality factor from the rules, deniska, your entry was nice, I just didnt think it had the fullness of Throttle sandbox also offered more to gameplay

This post is a good example, showing why the judges did not put too much weight in the public polls... :-)
FYI, Produkt, my entry was not even in that category... Althogh, MapThis! may seem like a nice game, when you drive totally drunk through your neigbourhood while it's in GPS mode :-)

71M
September 3rd, 2006, 19:42
Agreed,
I was expecting ThrottleX to walk away with first prize, but you can't deny that R-Gear does look and play quite nicely!

Dr.Neo hated TrigWars! :(
"Awfull game play, too dark, unplayable in my opinion"
I suppose everyone has different tastes!

PSMonkey: Your entry just wasn't a game as far as I could see, it definitely does have potential to be a game and I look forward to future releases :)

Cheers,
71M

Cap'n 1time
September 3rd, 2006, 19:42
regardless of what indeed seems to be flaws in the competition judges. congratulations to our dcemu members. Bitching will not help your scores, or make you look good to anyone else, even though i would agree that some of the judges made poor decisions.

BL4Z3D247
September 3rd, 2006, 19:46
This post is a good example, showing why the judges did not put too much weight in the public polls... :-)
FYI, Produkt, my entry was not even in that category... Althogh, MapThis! may seem like a nice game, when you drive totally drunk through your neigbourhood while it's in GPS mode :-)
LMFAO :p...and congrats :)

@monkey: but yeh monkey i enjoyed ur game and i can't believe one of the judges couldn't get it to work lol f*ckin dumb@$$ :rolleyes:...well good luck with the new jobby bro

@zion: well 5th place is cool :D i know i would be excited not to come in last

dtothabreezy
September 3rd, 2006, 20:03
omg there is something rong with these pepole my two absolute farivoute games didnt get any recogntinoun at all dumb ass contest

stotheamuel
September 3rd, 2006, 20:15
Results are very different than the polls... in the polls throttle x came in first... and sandbox 3rd

PSmonkey
September 3rd, 2006, 20:48
Agreed,
I was expecting ThrottleX to walk away with first prize, but you can't deny that R-Gear does look and play quite nicely!

Dr.Neo hated TrigWars! :(
"Awfull game play, too dark, unplayable in my opinion"
I suppose everyone has different tastes!

PSMonkey: Your entry just wasn't a game as far as I could see, it definitely does have potential to be a game and I look forward to future releases :)

Cheers,
71M

I can understand and agree to an extent the judge who though sandbox was not enough of a game. Yet I still also find it wrong that someone who cheated the polls and the judges thought was poor still placed higher then people who deserved to place in the top 10.

Personaly I still also think ThrottleX was robbed of 1st place. On a technical point it was the most advance, on a fun factor i enjoyed it more and over all has more longjevity then the r-type clone. On top of it ThrottleX is still technical more original.

pspfan
September 3rd, 2006, 21:34
Should've been like

ThrottleX
TrigWars
R-Gear
Sandbox
Droplets
Luminex

and Escape shouldn't have even been in the top 10...the guy cheated on the polls, everyone saw it, why wasn't he disqualified and maybe even banned from future competitions. Frankly, his game couldv'e been coded in 5 minutes.

I think apps wasn't bad, but RemaPSP and MMSPlus should've been switched.

Booooo to the judges.

PlagueMusic
September 3rd, 2006, 22:02
wow, reactor last

you guys dont appreciate kagato studios

Zion
September 3rd, 2006, 22:48
I agree, mmsplus should have finished higher....

how can remappsp be classed better in anyway than mmsplus,,,...

seriously though.... wow it changes buttons, big deal...

Also sandbox and throttleX were robbed of 1st and 2nd...

Escape....omg, i cant beleive that got in the top 10....i code in lua and seriously there is no technical or inventive about it....true its original...but i wouldnt even class it as a game.....

on my game entry, lua wormz :

I was shocked to read dr neos comments about it... i quote dr neo - "Lua Wormz - Wormz
> Not a good game..."

Not the sort of professional comment you would expect from a competition orgaineser.....

So what? is escape better than lua wormz? in anyway? technical or otherwise....answer no...

I knew it wouldnt come anywere in the compo becuase i couldnt finish it in time....but what i did get done was a lot more advaced than escape.

and unless everyone who voted for the games competition was smoking marjuana, no way would escape have got 51 votes.

its a real shame that it had to be rigged like that, and i hope that guy who made that game gets banned from entering future competitions. It spoiled the competition in a big way.

And his comment regarding trigometery wars was ridiculous - "TrigWars
> Awfull game play, too dark, unplayable in my opinion"

and sandbox - "Sand Box
> Doesn't start on my PSP ..."

how? you dont have to be a rocket scientist to put sandbox on your psp, no-one had any problems gettting it working.

I would also like to point out a major flaw which probably cost annonymous tipster first place....

I read through all of the comments and reviews by dr neo , and he didnt even list, review or mention trottlex....

now comon....and everyone knows about the rigging...

on a lighter note though...

as this was my first ever entry into a coding compo, i fully enjoyed the challenge and was delighted to come in 5th place :D

Hopefully get something good for my ds now :D

So i think the dcemu coding comp can learn a hell of a lot from neoflashes mistakes....

71M
September 3rd, 2006, 23:09
Yet I still also find it wrong that someone who cheated the polls and the judges thought was poor still placed higher then people who deserved to place in the top 10.
Yup, that was a bit out of order, but I guess there wasn't much they could do other than discount the whole voting poll (which would've pissed even more people off!)

Cheers,
71M

p.s. If you need someone to finish off Sandbox give me a shout :D

PSmonkey
September 3rd, 2006, 23:25
Yup, that was a bit out of order, but I guess there wasn't much they could do other than discount the whole voting poll (which would've pissed even more people off!)

Cheers,
71M

p.s. If you need someone to finish off Sandbox give me a shout :D

Actualy you're more then welcome to have the source to contribute to the game. :)

It's pretty clean.

Shazz
September 4th, 2006, 09:17
bull F*ing crap.
Next year someone just make an r-type clone again and your sure to win.

-- f*k doing something original, just copy some other game & you win!! --

Hey man, please show some respect.... DingoFr worked one year on this game and he achieved something that I guess there isn't a lot of people would achieve...
3 musicians, one graphist (all non-sprites stuff) and I spent hours and hours making the game as it is...

And if doing a R-type clone was so easy, why the hell this game is still one of the shoot them up reference 20 years after ????

damn, instead of being like that, do something better than sandbox and you'll win...

Forum users can have this kind of opinion and they're free to say what they want, not you if you're a true coder and as you said hired by a "top" PSP game company... you should be able to see the work behind this dumb r-type clone...

what a deception for me to see you writing those words... :(

mr_nick666
September 4th, 2006, 11:27
Oh, how this could have all been different if it was a DCEMU competition embued with fairness and the peoples voice... :rolleyes: I agree with the general opinion that Throttle X was robbed and how in Gods name did Sandbox end up all the way down there?? :confused: Theres no justice in the world anymore! :(

Kagato
September 4th, 2006, 23:58
wow, reactor last

you guys dont appreciate kagato studios
Thanks, PlagueMusic :)

Hey, I'm just happy to have placed at all. It wasn't looking good based on the polls alone... :(

While I can understand people not being happy with the results, I think they at least had good intentions with the split poll/judge scoring system. It lets them balance the popularity of an entry against a (slightly more?) objective gauge of its merits.

Perhaps in future, if a more auditable poll is used (to prevent potential abuse), and a standardised score sheet for judges, this would be a fairer system than the alternatives.

Anyway, congratulations to all the winners!

scarph
September 5th, 2006, 00:58
havent heard of half of these

PSmonkey
September 5th, 2006, 02:43
Hey man, please show some respect.... DingoFr worked one year on this game and he achieved something that I guess there isn't a lot of people would achieve...
3 musicians, one graphist (all non-sprites stuff) and I spent hours and hours making the game as it is...

And if doing a R-type clone was so easy, why the hell this game is still one of the shoot them up reference 20 years after ????

damn, instead of being like that, do something better than sandbox and you'll win...

Forum users can have this kind of opinion and they're free to say what they want, not you if you're a true coder and as you said hired by a "top" PSP game company... you should be able to see the work behind this dumb r-type clone...

what a deception for me to see you writing those words... :(

Sorry. I was overly pist off at the results and not your project. DrNeo is a big r-type fan and imo that helped you a bit. You're game deserves top 3 but not first.

Do I think sandbox is better then your entry? Hell no. Do I think sandbox deserved so low (loosing out to a poll cheater and rank far lower then simple 2d games), NO! Sandbox is far more complex then most of the entries.

ThrottleX should have gotten first. Your clone is nice but there is not a whole lot there. I am a comercial coder and i've done ps1 game from star to completion in 3 months time doing 90% of the entire project by my self. Other then a pretty partical engine there is not a whole lot more there for the main game itself..

The intro I actualy found really damn nice but sevearly disapointed you did not go anywhere with it, not even to make the main game run with 3d ships but 2d gameplay. Even advancing the clone to take reference from new age horizontal shooters which have taken the genear above and beyond r-type has in years.

Lastly sandbox was far from an overnight project. There is alot of ground work done. As well sandbox is not just face value, there is a whole theme system behind it that allows for it to expand. Look at Iris, I just quit the scene a few days ago and on dcemu right after that there was a post of a new map for iris.

In the end really nothing matters since neoflash team does not care to correct their mistakes. Have fun with the Wii.

FrozenIpaq
September 5th, 2006, 03:16
Shazz - you are part of TiTAN correct?

R-Type is an excellent game, however the scene just has already seen something like it (Callisto), in which case it hasn't received much positive commentry from the scene. I have yet to try out the game myself after LiraNuna recommended I try it out :rolleyes: I'll get around to it.

PSMonkey meant no offense by his statement, but I think we all agree that Throttle X should've gotten first place just due to it acheived 3D, online play (downloadable map support), map editor - it definetly is a game I will continue to play long after this competition.

PSmonkey
September 5th, 2006, 06:06
AnonymousTipster gets screwed again!!

http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-development-forum-11/t-go-drneo-you-just-robbed-anonymoustipster-again-69285.html#post1014206

Another thing to chalk up to the sorry state of this compo.

Sektor
September 5th, 2006, 10:41
Doesn't really matter what order they put the 4-10 to entries in since they all get the same prize. Everyone who got in the top 10 should be happy. It's for fun and if you are lucky, you get a free prize. No need to take it so seriously. Of course that's easy for me to say since I spent no time at all on my entry :)