PDA

View Full Version : Help I've sort of bricked my psp!

Lolth
September 3rd, 2006, 21:37
Hi I think I've accidentally bricked my psp, every time I start it it tells me that my system settings are corrupt nad I need to repair them.
This happened after I installed the Kingdom Hearts custom theme.
It will autoload umd's which require 1.5 firmware but the xmb fails to load without displayling the aforementioned corrupt system settings problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone wants more technical info please ask for that info.

BL4Z3D247
September 3rd, 2006, 21:41
yeh u have a "partial" brick, the UP chip would be the sensible thing to do(even more sensible if u know how to solder)

dejkirkby
September 3rd, 2006, 21:42
Can you get to the XMB after repairing the System Settings (by pressing circle)

BL4Z3D247
September 3rd, 2006, 21:44
wait do u have custom fw by any chance?

Lolth
September 3rd, 2006, 21:44
K thank's isn't there anything else I can do though?
I mean buying the modchip seems a bit drastic (and expensive)
I will do that if I do have to but otherwise anything else?

Lolth
September 3rd, 2006, 21:45
No i'd tried earier in the day getting custom fw to work but a file was missing or something so i uninstalled it.
Also no when I press circle it just re boots my psp.

dejkirkby
September 3rd, 2006, 21:48
You could always try the return to the store and bullsh*t your way into getting a new one trick!

Lolth
September 3rd, 2006, 21:49
I got it last september, I think it's bit late for that, good idea though;) :D

dejkirkby
September 3rd, 2006, 21:51
If you know someone who have got a psp recently then "borrow" their reciept!

BL4Z3D247
September 3rd, 2006, 21:52
yeh thats an option too

Lolth
September 3rd, 2006, 21:53
So there's nothing else I can do?

M!ckeY
September 4th, 2006, 00:35
how odd, most of the people who brick their psp like never have a custom firmware

mcvader
September 4th, 2006, 08:02
can u not upgrade and downgrade again? I guess not if you can't access the xmb, u Tried taking the memory stick out? I've found the solution to these type of things is usally real simple, too simple to think of perhaps. has anyone else come across this before? I find it hard to believe with all the thousands of people who visit this site that no-one else here has had this problem. Once I got a blue screen that said something about corrupt data and pressing circle(the same one you get when you downgrade from 2.6) and I just turned it off, crossed my fingers and turned it on again and it was fine, you tried that?;)

Lolth
September 4th, 2006, 09:49
As I said I tried to install the custom firmware but for some reason it didn't install, it tld be two file's (cant remember which) were not the same size.
Annoyingly as my friend tried to fix my psp he activated the recovery mode but bfore I could take a proper look he delleted recovery mode, unwittingly thinking it might be of help.
Also I've taken the memory stick out loads (and the battery once or twice) but it still comes up with this screen.
Isn't there some way of making a program to fix this which would boot from a save file (like the edison carter cheat device)
I think what caused the problem is I was using theme psp having just downgraded from 2.71.

Anyone got anymore suggestions?

BL4Z3D247
September 4th, 2006, 09:58
it said the vshmain.prx was not the same size, and that's cuz u didn't remove the other CFW u had on ur psp...u can't copy over them, it messes it all up

also what did ur friend delete from the recovery mode?

Lolth
September 4th, 2006, 10:06
when it activated it he pressed square, recovery won't show up again (with any key combination we've tried) so we're guessing he's removed it.

BL4Z3D247
September 4th, 2006, 10:13
can u auto-load anything??? like IRshell

Lolth
September 4th, 2006, 10:18
I can boot umd games which require 1.5 firmware, thats it.
I hadn 't got the custom firmware up and running so that it would auto boot irshell.

razorak
September 4th, 2006, 10:22
oh dear...he's got the same prob as Apoklepz

bullhead
September 4th, 2006, 10:28
Thats why I only mess with devhook emulated firmware. I dont see the point in aestheticallay enhancing the psp firmware 1.5. Its just too risky. I just go as far as custom firmware to be on the safe side incase i ever need recovery mode. At least with devhook you can fix bricks by replacing the files.

I dont think there is anything you can do without taking costly measures.

Lolth
September 4th, 2006, 10:37
Damn! So I have no hope left but the modchip?
If so does anyoe know any cheap ones?
Also how easy is it to install?

BL4Z3D247
September 4th, 2006, 10:47
it's a b!tch to install(u can bring it to a electronics store) and it's cheaper than getting a new psp that's for sure(plus u get a new psp what fw u think ur gunna get) AND this is a huge and, u'll beable to unbrick ur psp at anytime and i believe u can jump fw to fw

bullhead
September 4th, 2006, 11:29
Just like what he'd have been able to do with custom firmware? lol

danw2k4
September 4th, 2006, 23:37
i bullshitted my way into a refund with a receipt from september ish.

Video_freak
September 4th, 2006, 23:50
i bullshitted my way into a refund with a receipt from september ish.
Lucky... :)

danw2k4
September 5th, 2006, 08:45
not really, you can do it all the time in britain. You must pester the staff enough. I got the better white psp which has a decent d-pad and £30 in money because i paid more for my other psp.

Lolth
September 5th, 2006, 11:28
You think I could get away with it? I mean I bought it from amazon bout exactly a year ago.

ryutoki
September 7th, 2006, 03:53
Thats why I only mess with devhook emulated firmware. I dont see the point in aestheticallay enhancing the psp firmware 1.5. Its just too risky. I just go as far as custom firmware to be on the safe side incase i ever need recovery mode. At least with devhook you can fix bricks by replacing the files.

It's only risky if you do a straight downgrade from 2.71. If you did your downgrade from any other version of Firmware (or if you upgraded from 1.00) then it's perfectly safe. Things like this is why people who have downgraded from 2.71 should upgrade to 2.00 and then downgrade back to 1.50 again before messing around with anything.

cartmandude14
September 7th, 2006, 04:31
try auto-booting the 1.5 umd then hit home. then upgrade and downgrade again and u should be set.

Lolth
September 7th, 2006, 16:09
Though I love homebrew, I'd rather be able to never play homebrew but have a fully working psp again, is it possible to take my psp to sony to have it fixed? If so is it coeverd by warranty/ how much would I have to pay?
Unless someone has a better (cheaper) idea?