PDA

View Full Version : PSP Download Service on track -- first details!

wraggster
September 4th, 2006, 15:54
According to a senior Sony exec -- sketchy details of what it might be like are starting to emerge

Sony's Izumi Kawanishi - the executive in charge of software platform development in Japan - has lifted the lid on the PSP's download service in an interview with NikkeiBP. He revealed that the PSP has no problems running PlayStation 1 games in an emulator - although control systems may require a rethink as the PSP only has one analogue stick - that films as well as games will be downloadable and that the download service will operate via WiFi-enabled PCs as well as the PS3.

Kawanishi argued that digital distribution is now feasible, thanks to widespread broadband, and revealed that, with the PS3 configured as a home server, the PSP could be used as a mobile information system (with the PS3's Cell processor taking on the number-crunching duties).

And he confirmed that Sony is hoping to roll out the PSP Download Service when the PS3 launches. Let's hope that turns out to be the case, as the Download Service could provide the PSP with a much-needed boost.

News Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=145509)

bosanova_x
September 4th, 2006, 16:09
lets hope every thing will run smoothly,as this could be very good indeed for sony.

looking forward to it.

S34MU5
September 4th, 2006, 16:19
kul

mr_nick666
September 4th, 2006, 17:09
lets hope every thing will run smoothly,as this could be very good indeed for sony.

looking forward to it.

What could possibly go wrong?!? :rolleyes:

Lets just see how much they charge for the games weve already bought once and go from there! :eek:

Tron_Fan
September 4th, 2006, 18:12
Lets just see how much they charge for the games weve already bought once and go from there! :eek:

That's the thing right there. Also, It's been a while since I played a PSOne, but didn't THOSE controllers not even have an analog stick at all? Seems to me that the PSP is one up on the PSone, controller-wise.

mcvader
September 4th, 2006, 19:08
The original controllers had no analog sticks, they were just ripoffs of the snes controller with 2 extra shoulder buttons, they added the analog sticks after nintendo showed off their N64 controller (coincidence?I think not).

On the topic of the download service, too little way too late.

mr_nick666
September 4th, 2006, 19:32
That's the thing right there. Also, It's been a while since I played a PSOne, but didn't THOSE controllers not even have an analog stick at all? Seems to me that the PSP is one up on the PSone, controller-wise.

The downside being that the PSP only has a single shoulder button on each side whereas the PSX had two on each side... :o

cloud668
September 4th, 2006, 19:40
maybe they can release an add on with the extra shoulder buttons, connected to the usb port, but probably it will break.

Veskgar
September 4th, 2006, 20:58
On the topic of the download service, too little way too late.
You know what, if you really think about it.... you make a good point mcvader. This would have been the biggest incentive for some to abandon homebrew and upgrade. But now after this amazing summer of homebrew topped off with the 2.71 downgrader, we have more and more people seeing the light and joining the 1.50 ranks. And if people are smart, once they have a 1.50 PSP, they would be keen to keep it at 1.50.

Also, any PS1 emulation (download service) is more than 2 months away. 2 months in the PSP homebrew scene is a considerable amount of time that will likely show some amazing releases. I think coders and users alike will get the vibe that the next 2 months are very important for the longevity of PSP homebrew as we know it.

Without even knowing what awaits in the next 2 months it comes down to this:

You can emulate ONLY PS1 if you update and abondon homebrew. Or you can emulate ALL of the following:

NES
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
SNES
Nintendo 64 (Keeping fingers crossed)
Game Boy Advance
Sega Master System
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafx 16 (PC Engine)
Neo Geo
Neo Geo CD
Atari Lynx
Wonder Swan

And that is not even the complete list. It should be a no-brainer. Sacrificing so much only to be able to emulate 1 platform is not worth it to me.

I'm hoping for full-speed homebrew PS1 EMU or a workaround/exploit to allow 1.50 users to use Sony's EMU/download service. That way, our ever-growing 1.50 army can have our cake and eat it too!

scarph
September 5th, 2006, 00:55
useless

mr_nick666
September 5th, 2006, 12:44
You know what, if you really think about it.... you make a good point mcvader. This would have been the biggest incentive for some to abandon homebrew and upgrade. But now after this amazing summer of homebrew topped off with the 2.71 downgrader, we have more and more people seeing the light and joining the 1.50 ranks. And if people are smart, once they have a 1.50 PSP, they would be keen to keep it at 1.50.

Also, any PS1 emulation (download service) is more than 2 months away. 2 months in the PSP homebrew scene is a considerable amount of time that will likely show some amazing releases. I think coders and users alike will get the vibe that the next 2 months are very important for the longevity of PSP homebrew as we know it.

Without even knowing what awaits in the next 2 months it comes down to this:

You can emulate ONLY PS1 if you update and abondon homebrew. Or you can emulate ALL of the following:

NES
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
SNES
Nintendo 64 (Keeping fingers crossed)
Game Boy Advance
Sega Master System
Sega Game Gear
Sega Genesis
Turbo Grafx 16 (PC Engine)
Neo Geo
Neo Geo CD
Atari Lynx
Wonder Swan

And that is not even the complete list. It should be a no-brainer. Sacrificing so much only to be able to emulate 1 platform is not worth it to me.

I'm hoping for full-speed homebrew PS1 EMU or a workaround/exploit to allow 1.50 users to use Sony's EMU/download service. That way, our ever-growing 1.50 army can have our cake and eat it too!

You forgot SAM coupe emulation! (I know you said you did not have a complete list but it is THE most important emulator! - I will forgive you for this transgression only once! :rolleyes: )

There are various PS1 emulators in the pipeline so I feel it will just be matter of time until us 1.5ers are Playstationing :D Also... When the revamped PS1 games are released how long will it be until someone writes an emulator for them!?? :confused: Who knows what Devhook may achieve in the future too!? :p The future is bright! ;)