PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Rumours Galore

wraggster
September 4th, 2006, 16:44
Here they are:

Lets start with the bad news - the launch lineup is shrinking. Originally, the list was 30 titles (1st and 3rd party). Currently, the list is about 15 titles (can’t get more specific because at this stage it literally changes by the hour). There is an up-side, however. The extra development time is making a world of difference. Some of you saw Heavenly Sword at E3 and it looked pretty good... that is, it looked like your typical 360 game. The team has been hard at work piling on layers and layers of detail and as of right now, it looks like ****ing Advent Children (you thought Metal Gear looked good? You gotta see this). It's also being given a God of War type violence upgrade, since they found out the graphical realism and brutality of the combat (bloodless though it was) was getting it a Mature anyway. Seriously, it will blow your mother****ing mind (although it’s sad that having really awesome graphics influences the ESRB ratings these days). The current release target is March.

Killzone 2 - This one has been MIA since last years E3. It is still in development and it is, unequivocally, the PS3s big "secret weapon." Announcements are being held back until closer to the PS3 launch as it's going to generate a monumental amount of buzz. It's one of those things that I can't get into too much detail about. However, it looks exactly like the video. Yeah. That video.

As a quick side note, Bethesda is working on a special edition of Oblivion just for PS3. We were shown some screenshots (sadly, not the actual game) and it looks like an entirely different game. Every texture is being replaced with new extremely-high resolution ones. It’s basically what Bethesda wanted to do the first time until they ran into the DVDs capacity limit. BluRay fixes that little bottleneck.

Those DVDs you love so much, they’re the reason PS3 games are going to ****ing destroy anything available on the 360. 85% of the games currently in development for PS3 will not fit on a single DVD9. To give you an idea of the implications, Resistance: Fall of Man is currently 20GB, and could be around 35GB once cinematics and things are added. Publishers are not being forced to use BDs, but it’s expected that 95% of all PS3 games will use BD discs. The big exception is EA, who uniformly develops for the lowest common denominator. Sony is dedicated to helping companies develop for the superior PS3 then downgrade for the weaker systems. The fruits of this labor will probably not be seen for another year at least.

There was a demo, side by side, of an upcoming sports game (can't tell you which one). One was playing on 360 (DVD9) connected to an HDTV running at 720P. The same game was running on a PS3 (BD50) on an identical HDTV at 720P. The differences were unbelievable, simply because the BD has the space to hold all those extremely high resolution textures. The 360 could probably handle them, but they just plain won't fit on the disc. This is just one example of how storage capacity is hurting the 360. Of the parade of developers that spoke to us, the BDs capacity was the number one item of praise. No more having to cut corners or find creative ways to make your game fit on the disc. DVDs are just plain obsolete when you're talking about High-Definition hyper-detailed 3D environments.

muffinman
September 4th, 2006, 17:12
right on
power to the blue ray
free your minds man

and now a non-hippie (cant remember how to spell at this time) moment.

Ithink this just shows the need for a new format.... sony was right all along

JesusXP
September 4th, 2006, 17:28
I hope this means, Mircrosoft re-issuing upgrade HD drives for the machine... soon :P or at least making the HD Drive cheap to ppl who already have a 360
.. wish i kept my reciept :(

csd-san
September 4th, 2006, 17:28
Isn't the 360 supposed to get a HD-DVD addon sometime in the future?

Accordion
September 4th, 2006, 17:38
the 360 is expecting a HD-DVD drive…though only for movies i think…

i have always praised sonys descision to use new hardware…it is the only way to truly move forward

JD/
September 4th, 2006, 17:57
the ps3 is sounding preety powerful with all the space they will have to work with I mite just have to get one.

mavsman4457
September 4th, 2006, 18:12
I cannot wait to play around with the PS3 and get it working with my PSP.

muffinman
September 4th, 2006, 18:27
yeah the hd drive for the 360 is for movies only your stuck with dvd's for games atleast untill the xbox720 :p

d8thstar
September 4th, 2006, 18:38
i don't want to rain on anyones parade here but the above rumors are unequivocally 100% false.

i work for a publisher and can say that the above is just fan boy wishful thinking. i have no doubts that the ps3 will be a great machine but there are some very telling things above that just scream made up, wishful thinking rumors

punkypine
September 4th, 2006, 19:42
i don't want to rain on anyones parade here but the above rumors are unequivocally 100% false.

i work for a publisher and can say that the above is just fan boy wishful thinking. i have no doubts that the ps3 will be a great machine but there are some very telling things above that just scream made up, wishful thinking rumors
wtf are you doing posting on this message board if you work for a publisher?

Accordion
September 4th, 2006, 20:12
most of the comments dont refer to the rumors, but are based on facts…the ps3 is new hardware, and will have much more space available on the disc format and therefore be able to support much higher resolution textures.

cloud_952
September 4th, 2006, 20:54
Who wrote this article? There's no credit and there's no information. But if this guy's a journalist, he needs to look into a new field. That review was written with no air of professionalism, and the use of curses repeatedly did nothing than to make me wonder if the author was a 14 year old using a spell checker. I appreciate intelligence and wit, not someone using expletives over and over to get across the "awesomeness" of a console.

Worse yet, I have no idea what the validity of any of this is, since I have no idea where this came from, who wrote it, or what the person's credentials are.

The problem with the internet: it gives idiots a chance to stand out in the world.

muffinman
September 4th, 2006, 21:47
now thats not very nice is it cloud.

but then again i agree with you

stotheamuel
September 5th, 2006, 00:37
wraggster you do appear to have a problem with sourcing any ps3 info you ever get

Video_freak
September 5th, 2006, 00:41
the ps3 is new hardware, and will have much more space available on the disc format and therefore be able to support much higher resolution textures.
That I can't see on my non-HD TV... :(

SSaxdude
September 5th, 2006, 02:28
Oblivion on PS3 is false. I think I read it in a gaming magazine (something reliable.)

d8thstar
September 5th, 2006, 06:21
uh, it's called freedom of speech? i didnt name the publisher nor did i give any inside info, hence i've abided to my non-disclosure agreement.

that said, i can tell you that this original rumors in this thread are flat out lies.

wtf are you doing posting on this message board if you work for a publisher?

stotheamuel
September 5th, 2006, 07:04
Oblivion on PS3 is false. I think I read it in a gaming magazine (something reliable.)

Oblivion on psp and ps3 are true dude

emickz
September 5th, 2006, 08:23
all this info came from here

http://www.genmay.net/showthread.php?t=667429

whats interesting is that some of the stuff he said came true

(Resistance being 20GB on a Blu-ray disc so far, the new PSP package, the 700,000 units for NA, online being absolutely free, and how the PS3 will be able to visual image to the PSP so you can actually play games running on your PS3 using your PSP and both a screen and a controller)

Now today on Sony's official site, they have taken out the part where the PS3 will include a 2x Blu-Ray drive, and replaced it with just Blu-Ray drive http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/specs.html. And last week Sonystradamus said this quote from the Genmay forums:

"Fast. Really fast. The Heavenly Sword demo was loading up in 4-5
seconds, which is even more impressive when you start to think about
how much content it has to load off the disc. I did ask if they were
using a standard 2x BRD but all I got was a creepy-ass "if I told you
I'd have to kill you" smile. I suspect we may end up with the new 4x
drives... but that's pure interpretive speculation on my part."

some of this stuff is still considered rumors but its a trip how this guy has said stuff that really happened..

irongiant
September 5th, 2006, 10:53
uh, it's called freedom of speech? i didnt name the publisher nor did i give any inside info, hence i've abided to my non-disclosure agreement.

that said, i can tell you that this original rumors in this thread are flat out lies.

So you're a brand new member who's only two comments are to slate PS3 rumours as being lies.. smells like a sour little fanboi. Do you do this on all the forums?

Hiding behind NDA bullshit. Whether the rumours are true or not it's you that's truly pathetic.

d8thstar
September 5th, 2006, 18:42
yup, brand new member, followed a story from DIGG. i'm assuming at one point you were a brand new member also, correct? hell, i'd guess that everyone on this forum at one time or another was a brand new member.

and yup, my only two comments have been to slate false PS3 rumors. as this is the story and link i followed from DIGG, it's the article i responded to. did you want me to respond to a different thread that i haven't read and can not comment on?

if you reread my post, i say i have no doubtrs the PS3 will be a great machine; doesnt really sound like i'm being partial; i love games and could care less what platform they are on.

hiding behind a NDA? i'm not hiding man, i signed an agreement and i'll stick to it. what i can comment on are false rumors, as the above are.

whether you choose to believe me or someone else, that's your call and i could really care less. i've put my two cents out there just like everyone else. the difference between mine and others on these types of boards is that mine are unbiased and based in facts.

So you're a brand new member who's only two comments are to slate PS3 rumours as being lies.. smells like a sour little fanboi. Do you do this on all the forums?

Hiding behind NDA bullshit. Whether the rumours are true or not it's you that's truly pathetic.

irongiant
September 5th, 2006, 20:19
Yes that's fine but it's so easy to post and not actually back your comments up with any kind of info.

If you go back and read the original article they don't overly gush over the PS3 and also say most can be done on the 360 anyway.

You're stating those rumours are false so back up your statement or your comments are just pointless hot air. You've just stated your comments are based on facts so give us some.. no need to mention company names or even games titles, you don't have to break any NDA.

d8thstar
September 6th, 2006, 01:48
i just finished rereading the original article and it sounds very gushy towards the ps3:

"Production of the console itself is proceeding right on target. Reports of cell yields and HDMI 1.3 available have absolutely no impact on the production process"

really? even though there was a recent article from analysts who have down played sony stock because of the shortages? even the article with quotes recently from sony itself saying that world wide shipments thru end of fiscal would be halved? how about:

"Those DVDs you love so much, they’re the reason PS3 games are going to ****ing destroy anything available on the 360"

wow, sounds pretty gushy to me. i could go in DEPTH as to why BR vs. DVD won't affect in game play as much as he seems to lead on and if you are interested, i could point you to a post i made on endgadget explaining all the reasons. wh=ould it surprise you that very very VERY few games have ever exceeded a DVD-5 on ANY platform?

the technical issue between BR and DVD isn't so much the storage capacity, it's the RAM in the system itself. he mentions a sports game in his article running at 720P on a PS3 and 360, and that the differences were unbelievable. if you knew anything about sports games and the way they are programmed, you would know that there is very little streaming happing during game play. the majority of animations and textures are loaded into system memory before play even starts. whether or not you have 50 gigs of data vs. 9 gigs of data is inconsequential when you are filling a bucket of RAM that for all intense and purposes, are the same on both machines. his whole argument of BR vs. DVD in itself screams fake.

as for backing up any more of my statements with facts, in particular, to what was in the article, whether or not i state my name, the company i work for or games in particular, it would still violate an NDA. it's something i don't take lightely. if i broke into a store and didn't leave finger prints, wouyld that mean i didn't commit the crime? of course not. just because there is no personal info on me or the company i work for doesn't man i can start breaking that agreement.

it's something that most "leakers" should really consider; you give your word man, keep it.

so in your eyes i'm full of hot air, that's fine. come soon enough, we'll find out, won't we?

Yes that's fine but it's so easy to post and not actually back your comments up with any kind of info.

If you go back and read the original article they don't overly gush over the PS3 and also say most can be done on the 360 anyway.

You're stating those rumours are false so back up your statement or your comments are just pointless hot air. You've just stated your comments are based on facts so give us some.. no need to mention company names or even games titles, you don't have to break any NDA.

10shu
September 6th, 2006, 04:40
Killzone 2 -It's one of those things that I can't get into too much detail about. However, it looks exactly like the video. Yeah. That video.

yeah right...:) from here you know the all thing is bogus...

irongiant
September 6th, 2006, 10:44
Well us europeans will have to wait till March to find out..

d8thstar
September 7th, 2006, 16:39
nice, a day after making this post it becomes official; sony cuts launch qty. from 2 mil to 500K. there world wide launch is now 100K for Japan and 400K for the US. kind of takes the steam out of:

"Production of the console itself is proceeding right on target. Reports of cell yields and HDMI 1.3 available have absolutely no impact on the production process"

which puts the rest of the article into perspective